Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Memento posted:

Is there some kind of Hollywood Ritual for an action leading man where you have to make a movie where you look after little kids? The Rock had that Tooth Fairy movie, Vin Diesel had that babysitter one, and now Big Dave Bautista is (probably, I haven't looked into it at all) going to find his heart again after spending too many years as a hardened assassin or whatever.

Arnold S. did Kindergarten Cop back in the day, don't forget that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

raditts posted:

This description reminded me that Stuber existed and was a giant piece of poo poo and was also released in 2019

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person that saw it and that was the reason it was overlooked though

I saw Stuber. In the theater, even!

It wasn't great but I enjoyed most of Bautista's scenes. He's a funny guy.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i wonder how much of it might be sony or naughty dog being too precious about how their very boring protagonist should and shouldn't be portrayed and that clashing with the rotating glass door of directors who want to do anything beyond what's been portrayed in the video games

in general, franchises like this or assassin's creed kinda have an uphill battle in actually making a good, novel movie when the stories and characters are real formulaic and the fun involved was that you get to interact with the setpiece action scenes

If I'm remembering correctly, this is why the Halo movie never happened. Microsoft was wanting a ridiculous amount of control over things and was trying to dictate the exact terms of the movie deal, and they basically got laughed out of Hollywood.

For the best, honestly.

FAKE EDIT: Yeah here's a good article about it: https://www.wired.com/2012/04/halo-movie-generation-xbox/

The story behind it is even more ridiculous than I had remembered it being.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 26, 2020

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Halo does at least have a whole space opera backstory where a war with religious fanatic aliens is mixed in with a Niven ringworld, its robot defenders and off-brand Zerg, and a whole ancient aliens background, but a protagonist who literally never removes his helmet isn't something Hollywood plays well with. (see Judge Dredd)

Rampage is a funny case given it takes major liberties with what passes for the story of the franchise, but keeps the key points and absolutely maintains the spirit of the idea, and as a result is a serviceable B-Movie much like what the original game was clearly meant to evoke.

Hell yeah, Rampage ruled.

The best video game movies are the ones not actually based on specific games though: Wreck-It Ralph, Jumanji with the Rock, and the second Jumanji with the Rock.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

I watched Dolittle last night.

Honestly? I didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't great or anything, but there was some cute animal stuff and a few of the jokes made me laugh. It's the kind of thing I'd be fine watching on like, a lazy weekend afternoon if it happened to be on TV.

The animated intro was great, though. I kind of wish we could get an entire movie done like that.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why did they even use the Birds of Prey title anyway? Those other characters aren’t an actual team in this movie right?

They should have just called it Harley Quinn or whatever

Those other characters end the movie forming the actual Birds of Prey and getting more comic-accurate costumes.

It's obvious sequel-bait / spinoff-bait but I don't think it'll end up happening, sadly.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

piratepilates posted:

jared's leto joker's biggest issue is that he was in one movie, and that movie didn't even have a batman, and the movie was mediocre and forgettable. he barely had a chance to really shine in the role.

hell he wasn't even the villain of the movie, he was a side character that had little impact on the story and could have been excised from the movie without affecting it.

Batman was in that movie though.

Didn't get to directly interact with him, but he was there!

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

piratepilates posted:

was he? I was going to say he might have been but I honestly didn't remember him. which batman even was that? baffleck?

god that movie is so forgettable, I forgot will freaking smith was in it of all people.

He's in several scenes. He's shown capturing Deadshot in the alley, then he has a chase scene where he's going after Harley and Joker in the Batmobile, they all go underwater and he saves Harley (and has an incredibly gross scene where he's giving her CPR) but can't find the Joker, and then Bruce Wayne is featured in the after credits scene (which was actually a pretty good scene imo).

And yeah, it was Batfleck.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Does robotnik go into sonics world at the end and turn fat?

Also speaking of xena, why cant we get a new spinoff of it?? Get on it, L-word writers

They were working on a reboot of it but it fell flat and got canceled. Probably for the best.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

This LP was the beginning of the end for the Best Friends.

gently caress you, David Cage.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 7, 2020

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If being made counts, Ender's Game exists.

Lot of franchise potential there. Kids'll love it.

Ender's Game is such a weird loving adaptation.

They toned like...everything from the book to try and give it a wider appeal, but then toned down the sheer size and spectacle of the Battle School and just made it as boring and small scale as gently caress.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

If there's one thing we can say about Orson Scott Card with certainty, it's that he hates buggers.

Excuse you. They're called Formics.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

The Ender = Hitler comparison is kinda there, but Card also spends the rest of the sequels going 'yeah but it was really hosed up what Ender did' and having him atone for it so...

Vandar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 8, 2020

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

This whole discussion reminds me one of the Legends canon characters that makes me glad Disney wiped the slate clean when they bought the franchise. You know that Stormtrooper in A New Hope who goes up to his boss and says 'look sir, droids'?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Davin_Felth/Legends

This Stormtrooper, Davin fuckin' Felth, was in line to become an AT-AT pilot. He was naturally gifted and skilled at the role, and he was all set to climb up the Empire's ranks...until he pointed out to his superior that an enemy craft could use a cable to trip up an AT-AT's legs.

He ended up getting sent to Tatooine as a way of getting him out of the picture so he didn't make the AT-AT designer look bad by pointing out the weakness of the thing.

Did we...did we really need an in-depth backstory for the 'look sir, droids' guy?

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Remember Surf’s Up? The movie about surfing penguins?

The sequel was a WWE crossover and it gave us the best scene ever.

https://youtu.be/E7e1KI-XXLk

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Remember when John Woo was attached to direct a Metroid movie? Gods, that was so long ago.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

I swear there’s like a half dozen movies named ‘Room’ or ‘The Room’ at this point.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

The original Beyond Good & Evil is one of my favorite games ever.

That being said I realized a long time ago that Ubisoft is just jerking us around and at this point I couldn’t care less about the sequel. As far as the movie goes...meh. 90% of video game movies are trash, if they even get made. I doubt this one will even get off the writer’s desk.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I think nowadays most publishers are gunshy about big sprawling open ended series and so a lot of authors just write for a trilogy. (Although SOME people can't even do that.)

Patrick Rothfuss is never going to finish the Kingkiller Chronicles. Probably for the best.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is asm 2 worth watching?

It's not. Most of the movie is either drama about Peter's parents or setting up one of a dozen planned spinoffs.

It's bad, yo.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Somehow this passed me by but Robert Zemeckis remade The Witches? With Anne Hathaway and Octavia Spencer and Stanley Tucci? With Guillermo Del Toro on the screenplay? And it's dropping onto HBO Max this month?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHEuiVqn34

This looks fun. I'm down for it.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Is there anything to look forward to for the rest of the year besides VOD releases of Possessor and maybe Tenet considering I'm not setting foot in a theater (and maybe no one else is either)?

Wonder Woman, but if it doesn't get delayed I'd be shocked.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/claire-foy-james-mcavoy-to-star-in-my-son-thriller

This is either going to be amazing or terrible. I can't wait.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Prowler posted:

Are there any prequels that really worked? That were received as well as--if not better than--the original? I am having a difficult time thinking of one.

I really enjoyed Bumblebee, and X-Men First Class was good.

Wasn't Monsters University fairly well liked?

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

So what I'm reading is, is that Warner Brothers wanted their own version of Ready Player One.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

If studios seem more risk-averse than ever these days that may be more owing to the shrinking of the mid-budget slate, where many of your surprise hits and original stories come from- Robocop wasn't supposed to be a big film and Orion didn't really know what they had until the first test screenings, for example. But then we just had Knives Out last year, so it's not like those are dead either.

And now they're working on a Knives Out sequel!

(Which is fine imo, as long as it's like, the further adventures of Benoit Blanc working on another case.)

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

This movie is more crazy than the poster implies.

Oh my god you weren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prWBrMJOg2k

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Didnt the second on end with a kraken fight cliffhanger and the third one picks up without showing what happened. Is this a fever dream

E: also holy lol comparing Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia to the Hobbit

Even Ben Hur is a fantastic loving epic and to compare it to a 40 min Dwarf meal jesus christ

The kraken fight ends with Sparrow and the Pearl getting dragged under the sea, then the reveal that Beckett has Jones' heart.

And then in the third one, the kraken is just dead on a beach and everyone gets kind of sad about it.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Tomorrowland, Mission to Mars, and Tower of Terror are all based on Disney park stuff too.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

I liked Renner in Tag.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

They had the romance novel a few years ago, so just a natural evolution:

They also had this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

...did The King's Man ever even come out?

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I think my bigger issue with the MCU is it started off fun enough, you had your surprise hit in Iron Man, which led to a second round, of origin stories, leading to a team up movie, which I remember being entertaining enough the single time I saw it 8 years ago. Now, they're all intertwined and if you skip one you're going to be missing out on something, especially when it comes to all these tertiary superheroes they toss at us.

Oh my god.

The MCU is the Kingdom Hearts of movies.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Assault on Arkham was kicking rad (for the most part) and the only movie that's ever had me actively rooting against Batman.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

If it's Risk Legacy and not normal Risk, I'm in.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

This is one of those things that has to be seen to believed. There is zero hyperbole in RatHat's post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYtEFf0cBc

G Gundam loving owns.

America’s Gundam is a goddamn football player with a surf board and a six shooter and it’s football pads fly off and become boxing gloves.

Fuckin’ OWNS.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Time for Martha Wayne as the Joker

DC's already got you covered.

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

Samovar posted:

...? What has soy got to do with anything about... Well, whatever Don Cheadle is doing?

It's a lovely meme that I can't wait to die off.

I have been waiting a long time.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/soy-boy-face-soyjak

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

ChefBoyardee and most of the original devs left years ago, even if it somehow miraculously comes out, it'll still be dead.

It's not coming out.

Back in...2019 I think? We had most of the dev team show up in the Barkley thread to let us know that the game is 100% not coming out and that development was completely and utterly hosed in more ways than you can possibly imagine.

The promise has been broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 13, 2007

I thought this movie was supposed to be bad?