Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DC Murderverse posted:

don't forget that lovely movie from literally like 2 months ago where John Cena played a big manly fireman who ended up in temporary possession of some children. it's a subgenre unto itself.

HHH is: The Chaperone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

Stop looking at asinine ratings of movies ? Cinema score is lol awful and rotten tomatoes should only serve as an aggregator of reviews if you want to read then , not as a score of the movie. Your playing yourself

D+ I think. I legitimately believe this is the moment that changed A24.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

Are you referring to Uncut Gems? Because itís one of A24ís most profitable movies ever apparently, so Iím not too sure theyíre concerned.

I'm referring to the Witch getting a D and this being borne out with the general audience reaction, I think they were spooked by the fact that people apparently walked out of it feeling cheated rather than hailing it as a masterpiece. From that point on, the way they promoted their films changed to the point that it's comically overdone, they have completely cultivated "A24 fans" who are ready for anything that studio has to offer, rather than trying to convince general audiences to give their movies a shot and getting mad when they don't get The Conjuring or something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay, yes, I agree with that take completely. The newfound cargo cult around A24 like theyíre not a corporation marketing to a niche, but are actually the last bastion of great cinema, weirds me the gently caress out.

It's very similar to the Mondo posters, basically.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is no value judgement on The VVitch by the way, except for the part that I acknowledge part of the reason I enjoyed it so much is because people were audibly and visibly disgusted at the showing I went to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://youtu.be/W_vJhUAOFpI

Huh, guess New Mutants is finally coming out after all

Looks like garbage, gently caress this!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Along those lines, you can "talk" about something without fully endorsing or decrying it, kind of far fetched honestly but it's possible!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Someone has to have overlaid it at the part where Gabriel Byrne lights himself on fire by now, right?

I think a big part of the problem re: Aster's filmography is that we as audiences are so anesthetized to seeing movies about the domestic problems of obscenely well-off people and then being told by film critics that this is some profound commentary on grief or the human condition or whatever that folks literally don't know how to suss out when a filmmaker is just taking those things to its most absurdly grotesque extreme, and then just directing it well.

Like, Midsommar, for instance, is far more authentically concerned with grief than Hereditary, which literally predicates the entire 'relatable' dysfunction of this family on a stoned teenager accidentally decapitating his sister. This is like Dewey Cox but played straight.

Very well said, lol. "Wrong kid died!"

Majkol posted:

The bolded part is a little dishonest, it's pretty clear Toni Collette's mother was a major abusive piece of poo poo and it hosed up the family real good. It's even in the title.

It's also important to note that Toni Collette herself is pretty clearly an abuser.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm so sad hearing about Blake Lively's recent movie failing so spectacularly because she starred in one of my most favorite movies, 2015's absolutely batshit crazy Age of Adaline.

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about this thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's so good but not in the way it wants to be.

My favorite thing about it is that she looks totally the same in every era, they don't even put in as much effort as those Hairstyles Through The Decades viral videos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Harley is so popular that she was the breakout star of the first film and instantly got a spinoff. The failure to sell you on the movie is theirs alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Well no, not really.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rick Moranis in The Grey 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like future people will have superstitions surrounding creepypasta than anything else, with people being terrified of sewer clowns.

I mean this already exists. They're called 'urban legends'. Every once in a while I think about the fact that the first stories of El Chupacabra are from like, 1996.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A lot of early novels were explicitly written as such, I think there's a bit of misreporting or misrepresentation when it comes to whether people "believed" them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Suck eat??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Last one I caught was The Lodge, which was very appropriate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

piratepilates posted:

I think the last movie I saw in theatres was Cats, and I am very pleased about that.

I wish that was the last movie I saw, but I'm pleased with my last few choices (Gretel & Hansel, The Lodge).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Arquette v. Nick Gage is a must watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Alien franchise rankings:

1) Alien
2) Prometheus
3) Alien 3
4) Planet of the Vampires
5) Covenant
6) All the rest

I'm with it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

How in the hell did Quibi raise 17.5 billion dollars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alan Smithee posted:

1.75 b

which is still a lot of hedgefund writeoffs

Oh, phew, thank god I read that wrong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah, I totally misread. 1.75 billion isn't great but thank christ it's not 17.5 billion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nah, they could do Animorphs straight up, Animorphs was real poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Feels like a huge false equivalence. Goofy spooky books about Yetis in Pasadena being adapted into a meta kids flick really doesn't seem like the obvious path for a series of books about high schoolers dealing with the emotional, physical, and social repercussions of becoming the only people who can save Earth from a secret alien invasion, especially seeing how the books only matured over time and how they ended. The Vampire Diaries or The 100 or even Stranger Things seems like a much better match for the material. Or even the latter Harry Potter movies.

Yeah, Animorphs has a bit of heft to it that many of these completely generic YA stories don't even bother with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I could really go for whatever that is right now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Safety Factor posted:

Soto ayam. It's Indonesian chicken soup.

It's good.

I've only ever had it with rice, and it was PHENOMENAL. One of the best soups I've ever had.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For a thought experiment, let's take two identical-seeming phrases:

A: "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's not much left."

B: "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's not much left."

One of those is an unedited quote from Gangsta's Paradise, written by Coolio. The other is a quote from the parody song Amish Paradise by "Weird Al" Yankovic - which I have extensively edited, without any permission, to more closely resemble the quote from Coolio.

Obviously, at least one of those two quotes is about struggle and impeding mortality. I would even say that both quotes are! But, according to the logic of Baron, one of the quotes is absolutely meaningless because it was originally supposed to be about a homely Amish woman.

But which? Is it Quote B? I think it's Quote A - but what if I'm lying? What if I forgot which was which while writing this post? What if both quotes are from Coolio - or what if both are heavily modified quotes from "Weird Al"? It could be that, by introducing this doubt, both quotes are now intrinsically meaningless, and the obvious reference to Psalm 23:4 no longer exists. But maybe not.

This is the best post ever written, lmao.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

All of the white characters are black, and all of the black characters are white.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Good god almighty.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sucks to be them!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If you think I'd be willing to risk my life to see a drat Christopher Nolan movie you're out of your mind lmao.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I suppose it's unfair to say the marketing was bad as if that wasn't also effected by the pandemic. I assume there would've been more of a steady buildup of marketing if not for the whole release date shifting mess that the pandemic caused.

The thing that trips me out is that it's being discussed as though it's your obligation to go support Warner Bros. in these trying times. I don't give two fucks about their need to make back the money they spent making a movie, nor does anyone else. Sit on it and release it next year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If anything it makes birds in the present day seem much more frightening and alien. It's like when you find out that some mushrooms grow out of miles wide underground networks, it recontextualizes a lot of stuff in a cool way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It would be funny to see what weaning an omnivorous carcass eating dinosaur on a diet adulterated with mostly corn would look like.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

What exactly is the proposition for owning this thing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man the people are just clamoring for ten minute webisodes. But there's just too much competition! It's not viable!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

For anyone who cares they dug up another WNUF tape and hope to have it available to the public Fall 2021.

Ooh yes!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

They've made two of the Sinister Six movies they teased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

QLED time.