Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I guess a Risk show is just a political conflict show that kind of fits the House of Card people. But I can't imagine what benefit you get from assigning the "Risk" brand to it.

Well I guess except that I'm talking about it and now aware its a thing. drat it. Suckered again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna develop a Monopoly movie that goes 2 1/2 hours and then just ends abruptly when the characters just get frustrated, yell, and storm away.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sounds like someone's got strong opinions on Free Parking house rules.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pirate Jet posted:

There was an exploit recently where you could get 18 months of CBS All Access for $10.

I used it and still haven't watched a thing on All Access in the first 2 months.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its not really worth seeking out or anything but its a perfectly decent horror movie. As opposed to the first Ouija which is extra terrible.

The thing is, in the sub genre of "toy products turned into movies" making a competent horror movie about a Ouija board shouldn't be that hard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The MSJ posted:

This is some Batman poo poo.

I know everyone hates this and I have no expectations of this thing being good but I'm actually low key interesting in "Tim Burton's Batman's Cruella."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spike's Da Sweet Blood of Jesus is odd. Its well made and acted and all but its a very faithful remake that actually kind of just reconstructs the story. Bill Gunn purposely scattered his narrative, removed exposition scenes, and used random scenes of adlibbed dialogue. He probably did that because he was angry at the studio and what they wanted the film to be but it creates the very dreamlike, abstract, confusing film that Ganja & Hess is. There's a ton of deleted scenes that actually fill a ton of story holes. Spike basically inserts all those back into the story and makes the same movie but in a straight linear way. In some ways I think that makes Spike's film worse because the straight story can be less interesting than the abstract one, but I also think in some ways Spike's version gives a better look at the mindset and relationship between Ganja and Hess.

Its an interesting watch if your really like Ganja & Hess, especially if you have some questions about the story or its characters. Spike gives you a version of the film that might have existed without all the production problems and warring between Gunn and the Studio or if Gunn hadn't decided to just get weird. And that's kinda interesting, but its also kind of less interesting than the original. But an interesting accompaniment to the original. I dunno.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The difference here isn’t really in the quality of the CGI, it’s in the quality of the direction.

They're not even really similar scenes though. Like saying nothing for the overall quality of Jurassic World you've got one scene that's meant to be a last act scary hunting scene and one that's a first act scene about them being trained. So naturally the latter is gonna be less threatening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aglet56 posted:

(it's air-conditioned and there's no line)

This is the most nostalgic feeling I've ever felt.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it sure SEEMED like everyone was watching and talking about that movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't see why that's a problem. Like Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld have fake TV families too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Monstars Theme is the best song. But also Busta is a crazy antivaxxer or something.

Honestly, the soundtrack rocks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I finally watched the Expendables a couple of months ago and I was shocked to discover its exactly one of those movies. Just everyone in a room for one day of shooting and then Sly going off and doing his own mini movies with everyone else while Arnold and Bruce wave. I actually thought this thing everyone talked about would be a real movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like the only thing I remember enjoying is Mickey Rourke not getting the memo that he wasn't supposed to be taking this seriously. And I guess figuring that Jason Statham had enough pull to demand his own completely unconnected meaningless mini movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember Mickey Rourke showing up and not getting the memo that this was a lazy cash in no one was making an effort in. But i don't remember what he said or did because it was all bad nonsense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I set out to watch all three but after the first one just wrote the rest off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

marshmallow creep posted:

Watching the original Hellraiser recently, the boyfriend character is such a waste of space. He seems to exist purely to show "our heroine fucks" but keeps showing up to be kind of a gormless vacuum.

He does do that cigarette thing. That kind of characterization would have made him a meme in a Friday the 13th movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hellbound is cool because Julia is the real villain and she gets to take center stage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was some MTV teen tv series awhile back, I think. I don't THINK it was the hallmark for any media wave but I'm old and the last show I watched on MTV was like Dead at 21 or Maxx so what do I know?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think some of that might just be McCarthy being a comedian who has probably spent her life being self deprecating to make sure people are laughing with her instead of at her. Like in Nine Perfect Strangers she's got a role that has nothing to do with her weight. She's got a romance, she's got plenty of other stuff going on, no other character is cruel or mean about her weight or even brings it up. But her character makes a few jokes when she's clearly in a defensive/nervous position. And that kind of struck me as art imitating life.

Then again its also probably Hollywood writers can't stop writing fat jokes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like I've always enjoyed her in anything I've seen her in. And a lot of it does kind of feel like her improving or at least putting her own spin on what was written. The Nine Perfect Strangers stuff really felt like they just let her riff a little at the right times for the character, and Ghostbusters' problem really is that its a lot of very good improv making a mess of any kind of plot or movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The more surprising thing from that wiki is the number of dudes who apparently dump Taylor Swift by text message or phone call. I know celebrities are busy, but come on guys, at least take her out to dinner to pull the trigger.

I imagine celebrity relationships are often a lot more "long distance" and impersonal due to the nature of their lives. And like if you've been "dating" someone for a few months but like she was touring and you were doing a movie so you just kind of talked on the phone and computer a lot and then hooked up every couple of weekends then maybe the natural end for such a relationship is "ok, I'm tired of texting you"?

Thus concludes more energy than I ever hope to spend on Taylor Swift or any celebrity's dating life.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you should be angry at his dead in that case, shouldn't you? He's the one being a hypocrite.

I guess you could be angry that he doesn't see the injustice and get inspired to speak out against it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think on a fundamental level a film about a violent murdering severely mentally ill guy portrayed sympathetically even though he's traditionally and iconically portrayed as one of the most amoral psychopaths in pop culture as a criticism of capitalism and mental health care that ends with a violent uprising inspired by him that people then compare to a period of political protest is gonna result in a lot of confused and mixed messaging and interpretation.

Its a compelling character piece but its kind of all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Srice posted:

heck it gets even more mixed up because, as far as I can remember, literally every death in the movie (even the ones he had no direct involvement with) happened to someone who he felt had personally wronged him on some level

Yeah it’s that same kind of “I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymore” murder spree angry man thing that pops up a lot and tends to draw in a lot of problematic people and stuff. And mix that with political points and the loving Joker. It’s a mess and I’m not sure anyone who took misogynistic or incel rage or whatever from it was really wrong. I mean the guys key trigger is stalking a woman and murdering his mom.. So yeah the other stuff is clearly there but maybe that stuff is too.