Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

got any sevens posted:

Replicas was goofy fun

Whats the word on this new Underwater film with k-stew and tj miller?

Oh wow, I didnít realize rapist/terrorist TJ Miller was in Underwater. How long has that been sitting on a shelf?

Casimir Radon posted:

She looks perpetually bored. Apparently they finished filming this almost 3 years ago.

Ah, there we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I mentioned this in the last thread, but Gretel & Hansel is by Ozgood Perkins, son of Anthony Perkins and director of The Blackcoatís Daughter and I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In This House. The Blackcoatís Daughter was good, so Iím interested in Gretel & Hansel.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Timby posted:

And this is what happens when you have the guy who wrote and directed Syriana write a Dr. Dolittle movie.

But then they have to hire the writer of The LEGO Batman Movie and the director of the recent live-action TMNT movies to do reshoots.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://youtu.be/W_vJhUAOFpI

Huh, guess New Mutants is finally coming out after all

Not enough menacing shots of the hospital exterior.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

pospysyl posted:

When a marketable star dies before or during movie production, the current vogue is to use a CGI replacement, but I think we should go back to the practical effect of hiring people who look like the dead actor and pretending they're the same actor but with a slightly different last name.

Bring back the Ed Wood method

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nroo posted:

Wasn't there a Netflix miniseries actually written by an algorithm or did I just imagine that

When Cary Fukunaga made Maniac, he ran his script through the Netflix algorithm and used that to make changes; he said that it could tell him which exact words would change the number of viewers the show would retain.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sleeveless posted:

This is embarrassing, both for yourself and everyone forced to scroll by it.

Turn your monitor on

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Well, that sucks. Guessing that the creative differences were that he wanted to dip more into high strangeness/cosmic horror and Marvel balked.

Almost definitely
https://twitter.com/wyattduncan/status/1215429111901900800

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

yo mamma a Horus posted:

So Sandler expected to be nominated for an oscar because he tried hard? That is cool.

It was a powerhouse performance, and it could have been real easy for any actor to make Howard completely unsympathetic and unlikeable, but Sandler gave him that pathos you need to not actively wish him harm.

Casimir Radon posted:

Uncut Gems is a lovely movie following the Wolf of Wall Street template.

If you want to bag any 2019 movie for following the Wolf of Wall Street template, Hustlers is right there. (Hustlers was pretty good, though!)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 1967 film was nominated for nine Academy awards (including Best Picture) and won two of them

(20th Century Fox spent a ton of money rigging the nominations)
The film's IMDB trivia page is a hell of a ride: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061584/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Sammy Davis Jr campaigned hard for the role of Bumpo in the film but star Rex Harrison vetoed him on account of him being an "entertainer" (ie: someone who could actually sing and would definitely show him up) but SDJ got his revenge by releasing a hit album where he covered all the songs in the film.

Edit: ah ha ha ha ha the new RDJ film only opened yesterday here in Australia but all the cinemas in my area have already dropped the prices on every session

Bumpo

Alan Smithee posted:

Your theaters drop prices

I think just a few weeks ago, Regal dropped prices on the Playmobil movie to $5 a ticket. Donít know how much history there is for the practice.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Neo Rasa posted:

Folks here might also dig Four of the Apocalypse, one of three westerns directed by Lucio Fulci.

Fulci also did Massacre Time, right? I saw a clip from that where a guy runs a cart into a barrier behind which three dudes are shooting at him, and once the cart hits the barrier it launches him over it and he shoots all three in the back

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The problem with that are the notable and recent original, lady action films that failed-to-launch. E.g. Atomic Blonde and Proud Mary.

Not saying that I wouldn't love to see more movies about distinctly kickass women, driven by a distinctly female vision. But good luck getting Hollywood to look past both of those examples.

You forgot Peppermint, the Jennifer Garner John Wick clone.

ruddiger posted:

It really sucks because Atomic Blonde and Proud Mary were great and they just fell straight off the map. Widows should have been an oscar nominated movie, but because itís about Liam Neeson and Jon Berenthalís widows and not another paint-by-numbers heist movie, the old farts in the academy didnít give a poo poo.

Proud Mary was undercut by the studio, there were reports of at least one sold-out Thursday night opening weekend show getting cancelled at the last minute.

Grendels Dad posted:

I got a bit ill when I saw the first trailer for Anna. The idea of that creepy rear end in a top hat making a movie about supermodel assassins just didn't sit well with me.

At a certain point we should stop letting a noted rapist and pedophile direct movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

married but discreet posted:

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I just hope no creepy poo poo happened on the set of 5th Element.
Now Leon, that's a movie I can't watch anymore.

The blue alien singer lady was fifteen years old when Luc Besson hosed her. She was pregnant with his kid at fifteen or sixteen.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Apparently they met when she was 12.

I donít know if heís ever said as much, but isnít there heavy speculation that she was the inspiration for Lťon?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grendels Dad posted:

Oi, leave me out of this. I'm with Werner Herzog, who is a grumpy saint.

Right?

As far as I know, Herzog is okay.
Klaus Kinski, though, was a VILE motherfucker.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

A sigh of disappointment of ďof courseĒ washes over the nation with the news that Robert Zemeckis is directing a live-action remake of Pinocchio.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Chairman Capone posted:

I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings movies in years and I decided to watch The Two Towers a couple weeks ago. Now I'm watching Return of the King, and while the movie is good, I feel like this is the first time noticing the CGI is... kind of janky. Not in every scene, but this is the first time from the trilogy I feel like there is some obvious CGI standing out. Not sure if it's because they were running out of time, or they just had so much in ROTK compared to the previous two, but it's standing out a lot to me with this watch.

If I remember, Jackson turned in final cut before he had time to watch it, so it was probably heavily crunched.

Disney will force him to make a film more subdued than A Simple Plan.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

Or he just wants to direct a movie that people like. The last one was Drag Me to Hell 11 years ago.

The silver lining here is that if Raimi does go through with directing it, itíll give him enough clout to make another GOOD horror movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The MSJ posted:

This is pretty crazy to me since the last 3 major movies with DC characters in them were widely regarded as good.

I feel like after Beavis, Suicide Squad, and Justice League, DC course-corrected and became more fun and pulpy (at least their blockbusters) and let their directors have more leeway with their projects. Aquaman and Shazam! weíre both goofball movies and were better than the last however many Marvel movies I watched.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Okay yíall, place your bets now. Will Sonic the Hedgehog be:
1) a trainwreck
2) bad but forgettable
3) decent but forgettable
4) actually good

And furthermore, will it make money, especially enough to cover the $25 million the studio spent re-doing the Sonic design?

My guess is 2 and itĎll break even, but not earn enough to justify a sequel.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I think the R rating probably also hurt Bird if Preyís numbers, it wasnít sold as an EDGY MOVIE for ADULTS, it looked like a wacky action romp that could easily have been PG-13. That said, the R rating is whatís got me really interested.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was fine with Deadpool

But Deadpoolís whole ad campaign was ďthis isnít your normal comic book movie, we say gently caress,Ē Birds of Prey didnít have any of that edge in its marketing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

If he doesnít take a human Princess to poundtown, heís not my Sonic!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wasnít one of the Sonic Comics guys a right-wing Christian Evangelical of some stripe?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is going to be an insufferable movie to sit through. I feel like Eli has no handle on something this large, insane and spectacular. I guess his juvenile humor is in line with the games, but this is something that would need a George Miller/James Wan type of batshit blockbuster director to go well.

Hell, Michael Bay should have been a shoe in for this.
https://deadline.com/2020/02/borderlands-videogame-eli-roth-directing-lionsgate-movie-1202864502/

George Millerís the obvious pick because of how much Borderlands bites from Mad Max but honestly I couldnít care less who writes Reddit: The Game: The Movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Oh wow, we all skipped over the part where the latest script draft is by Craig Mazin of Chernobyl and The Hangover fame.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Iíve only seen one of Kusamaís movies, the Invitation, but the direction was quite good while the script itself was boring as hell. Iíll give her Dracula a shot.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Say what you will about the new Star Wars trilogy, the talent of the new actors shouldnít be questioned, they all did good jobs, and I would also like to see Adam Driver do more Daniel Radcliffe/Robert Pattinson poo poo by using his star power to secure financing for weird projects.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: they've also put out a bunch of "shared universe" comic books in recent years, as well as a ton of comics where their classic characters were "re-imagined' for modern audiences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Quest

The Hanna-Barbera comics include Snagglepuss saying the f-word and a gay club in the Flintstones named Homo Erectus.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The Jersey was an actual show on Disney channel where the protagonists jumped into the bodies of actual sportsmen and sportswomen who actually factually acted REALLY BADLY in front of a camera because the premise of the show was that a magical Jersey would let you live a few moments of the lives of your fantasy football picks to teach you about friendship or w/e.

I remember this show, it was set in St. Louis, Missouri, and I think they even made a super bowl episode during one of the years the St. Louis Rams won the Super Bowl, but they were 100% not filming in St. Louis.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

23 Hours To gently caress Before She Turns 18

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Seinfeld, the show, is extremely funny, but the standup bits are almost universally terrible. I like the bit about fear of public speaking versus fear of death, but that's about it.

Also Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17-year-old while Seinfeld was on the air.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

8one6 posted:

Patrick Warburton is great!

Bringing it all back around, Patrick Warburton had a recurring guest spot on Seinfeld as David Puddy, one of Elaine's boyfriends.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

There's a good (but somewhat dated) book called Operation Hollywood that's a bunch of short stories of how the Pentagon has twisted the arms of producers who want to use military equipment, locations, and labor for their movies. Fun fact, the general who wrote the guidelines for the Pentagon offering their services to the movies retired and became... a consultant for Hollywood productions seeking to use military equipment.

Young Freud posted:

Cool, we can have more movies critical of the military establishment.

Also, having the military involvement matters less and less as visual effects takes over cinema. Who cares if you had to sacrifice the directorial and editorial control to get a platoon of M1A2 Abrams tanks for a scene, because you can have a visual effects studio whip up an armored division for you and keep your vision unmolested by the military brass.

The military will literally lend the equipment for free and in the past has even let productions film on military bases and offer hundreds of troops as extras, if they like your movie's script. That's cheaper than paying VFX artists to create all that.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn't Independence Day have to do without the involvement and endorsement of the US military because the Pentagon asked that they remove the references to Area 51 from the film and they refused?

The military didn't like how the script made them appear incompetent, because nothing they did could stop the aliens.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Doesn't it also preclude them from using the official logos and poo poo as well?

If your spy or military movie wants the shot of people walking across the CIA seal in the foyer of the building, you gotta play ball with the CIA.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and people outright miss the whole point of the first half of the movie is the monsters are seen framed through TVs, windows and apertures, as a recurring motif. It's not very subtle about it.

I got the point, the movie was just boring as gently caress outside of the 20 minutes of battle at the end.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tars Tarkas posted:

It was one of the biggest film twitter accounts that just did nothing but post screencaps then they were bought by FilmSchoolRejects and started pumping out self-important essays as well. I've had them blocked for years. There's a pretty good parody account active now (there used to be another one but I think it died)

I think the moment I realized OPS sucked was when the Force Awakens trailer dropped and they spent a day posting shots from the trailer.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still like the idea that creating and preserving life is specifically a Dark Side power, while becoming a ghost is a Light Side one. The Sith try to stave off death desperately while the Jedi transcend it.

At least until The Rise of Skywalker lmao

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Counterpoint: Rogue One is very boring because the writing (especially for the character) is extremely bland, but futhermore it's ridiculous to call it a one-off story when every part of it is designed to tie into existing Star Wars movies. The whole thing is based off a couple throwaway lines from A New Hope! They reanimated Peter Cushing so Grand Moff Tarkin could be all over the movie! It ends literally right where A New Hope begins!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the whole idea that the Death Star has a design flaw that just wasn't recognized because of how massive a project it was and how many people were involved always rang very true to me. Changing it into a secret rebel plot from the beginning is just another way that the Disney Star Wars films really made the whole universe feel so much smaller than it did before.

It also feels weirdly mild to take the "many Bothan spies died for this" line and turn it into a whole planet getting Death Star'd. The one-liner presents so much more intrigue than the blockbuster film generates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Please for the love of JESUS let's talk about ANYTHING other than more Star Wars, I know I'm guilty but I'll atone for it with this: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-movie-theaters-reopening-july-coronavirus-1234599723/

Warner Brothers deciding if Tenet will be the movie to re-open theaters in July, or if it will be pushed back. The biggest voice for keeping the current release date? Nolan himself.