Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Stallone had a film where he tried to kill some kids, does that count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc_w59HfVZE
I'd forgotten how bad this looked, even in comparison to its predecessors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m amazed that they ended up making a Bad Boys 3. Every film in the franchise will have been made in a different decade.
Not even consecutive decades. Bad Boys II was 17 years ago. Way way back when Michael Bay developed an unhealthy obsession with an underage Megan Fox.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't really understand people who love Kristen Stewart. She looks perpetually bored. Apparently they finished filming this almost 3 years ago. I'm guessing TJ Miller getting a bunch of his lovely behavior exposed right about that time might have something to do with the delay.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I do have to wonder what was behind some of the dumber choices in TLJ. Knives Out seems proof enough that he hasn't lost his mind and can still make an excellent movie. I'd buy Disney messing with his work. Never really been impressed with JJ on the other hand.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

What were the dumber choices in TLJ?
The whole chase is badly paced, and Canto Bight belongs in a Harry Potter movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

lol if you don’t think Disney’s going to announce at least a half dozen Star Wars related projects throughout the year.

Also, way to complain and continue the conversation in the same breath. That’s not hypocritical at all, no siree.
Disney+ shows maybe. But I think they'll be quiet about new movies for at least a year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The VVitch was good. Not something that I want to watch over and over, but it's really effective at what it sets out to be. Uncut Gems on the other hand is terrible, by far the worst thing I saw in theaters last year. Made all worse since I know it's all going to go right to Sandler's head.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People want to be hyped about something and Avatar 2 might fit the bill and put butts in seats. It can be a total piece of poo poo but supposing it doesn't have to compete with something much more appealing coming out around the same time, maybe people will get excited for a while. So far it looks like it's going up against another Adam Sandler abortion, some DC movie about Black Adam which I guess ties in Shazam! which most people seem to have liked, and Guy Ritchie finally getting around the another Sherlock Holmes movie. The latter is what I most want to see.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The eyes in the first Alita trailer didn't really bother me. It's science fiction, she's a robot, the toned down eyes they eventually went with looked fine too. Now if they'd set out to make a photo realistic person, ended up with that, and it wasn't a conscious stylistic choice that would be one thing, but it's not.

I have no familiarity with the franchise and went in expecting a decent movie based on good reviews. I ended up really liking it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

2 Jack 2 Jill.

Jack and Jill from the previous movie get cloned, so there's 4 Sandlers, all onscreen at the same time, talking over each other in every scene. They dunk an actual parrot in deadly molten chocolate this time, because its cheaper than CGI. The movie has a Subway logo in the lower right corner the entire time, and the characters point it out and interact with it. The logo is voiced by Rob Schneider.
This actually doesn't sound that farfetched.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The best part of the movie was when Sandler got shot in the face, and the movie ended.

Uncut Gems is a lovely movie following the Wolf of Wall Street template.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I heard some of Roy Rogers' radio show back when I used to listen to olde timey radio, Sunday nights on NPR. That's pretty loving goofy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Better have an intermission. If you make anything over 3.5 hours long you really need one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I watched a very good chunk of the '67 on when I was a kid. Mostly I was intrigued that it was on 2 VHS tapes. I thought it was good at the time, and I dunno, I still like goofy movies of that period. Never did have high hopes for this one though.

On an interesting side note. Ranulph Fiennes tried to blow up the dam they built for the town in the original one with plastique he'd neglected to turn in. And because this was the 60s, didn't go to prison for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

*without Nic Cage
I'm proposing a spiritual sequel where he breaks into a castle he lost in the bankruptcy to retrieve some comic books he had hidden there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1218261175764430849

Oscar Isaac typecast as Ex Machina Guy.
When I first saw that he'd been cast in TFA I'd just seen Ex Machina and was a little taken aback because he played that scumbag maybe a little too well. He did a good job in TFA which showed me that he could play a heroic character too, but the next couple of movies had writing that made Poe considerably less likable.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Len posted:

It's okay because I'm fairly certain you aren't supposed to like the main character of Ex Machina
It's more that he was totally believable as a creepy techbro who likes killing humanoid robots.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Holy hell

I'm in a pizzeria and the pizza came uncut but with a pair of scissors

Cobra was a documentary
Hey bro, wanna go bang axes together?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The original cut of Cobra was like three hours long but they cut it down to 85 minutes which is amazing because it means they cut so much out but everyone agreed to keep the part where Stallone walks out with a giant novelty burger and says your burger's ready.
Now it's not like the additional 1:15 was going to make it make more sense. But there's probably tons of stupid gold in there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

The chatter a year or so back was that Bad Boys was being viewed as a way to launch a multicultural Bad Girls spinoff. Haven't seen the film so how much of that got to the final draft?
If you want to launch a female action franchise maybe stop trying to grab the coattails of dead franchises nobody cares about anymore, and just do your own thing.
See: Charlie's Angels

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked Atomic Blonde but for whatever reason it's not something I really feel the need to see ever again. Haywire did pretty well, right?

Edit: Ok, it did alright. It also came out longer ago than I thought.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, so my memory could be a little foggy. There's something about the who spy plot that was just too plodding. Spy plots are fun largely because you try to figure out all the angles, and this felt more like you're just along for the ride most of the time. There's some really well made action scenes throughout, but he spy plot didn't do much for me. Maybe as was suggested earlier I should rewatch it now that I know how it ends.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McCloud posted:

WHY WOULD YOU ADMIT THIS
In France it means you're a genius.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just this month a French publisher put out a book about an author who groomed her when she was 14. The guy went around for decades doing this, bragging about it on a national stage, and nothing ever happened to him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Oi, leave me out of this. I'm with Werner Herzog, who is a grumpy saint.

Right?

:ohdear:
Hopefully he didn't know about Kinski raping his daughter. I can't think of anything he's done that comes across as even vaguely pro-Pedo, so that's something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

Pretending he didn't know who Abel Ferrara is was kind of douchey
He tried to get the title changed and the studio wouldn't let him. He did make the effort to patch things up with Ferrara. If Herzog says for instance, that he hasn't seen a Star Wars movie. I'd tend to believe him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0p4Im88wSg

zany master humorist max landis is back
I really hope he never procreates. John's parenting made him a bigger piece of poo poo than John by a wide margin. Max can only be a worse parent than that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TikTok isn't dumb enough apparently.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, it's the one who has questionable links to Epstein and went on a bunch of unprompted rants about how he DEFINITELY doesn't diddle kids like he's Frank Reynolds running a beauty pageant.
Dershowitz has been outright accused of raping girls supplied by Epstein. All those dumbasses you know who won't shut up about how Hillary had Epstein killed don't care in the least that Donnie's personal lawyer is probably a kiddie fiddler. Of course they don't care that Donnie has been accused of all those assaults, and bragged about groping women in what he thought was private.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

Isn’t Peter Pan already told through the eyes of Wendy Darling? She’s the audience-surrogate character. A recontextualisation of the story could be cool, but that’s an odd way to put it.
I saw the trailer and the more notable feature seems to be that it looks like it's going for magical realism more than anything else.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What happened with the Doom movie was that the studio pussed out and didn't want to upset Christians by making a movie about demons.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was talking about the 2005 one. The power dumb Evangelicals had to mess with pop culture isn't what it was 15 years ago.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Legend of Tarzan was about as good as a modern day Tarzan movie is going to be. No point failing at something like that so soon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There were two Shadow Warrior novels. I didn't make it through the first one because it's batshit insane, and written by some guy who has pumped out hundreds of lovely books. If the original game had a racism problem it is only magnified in that book. Lo Wang eats sushi off the floor, kills people indiscriminately, and shouts all of the one liners from the game in contexts that sort of make sense.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m amazed they made novelizations
It wasn't even a novelization. It was a story about Lo Wang fighting a mad scientist who was trying to slam all the continents back into Pangaea.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I'm older than Danny Glover was when he was getting too old for this poo poo
He was a few days from retirement 32 years ago. The year before I was born.

In addition to how ridiculous this all is Mel Gibson is probably just going to gently caress up again if we give him another chance. It wasn't quite 10 years ago that he was accused of domestic violence, and then there was that phone call to his ex-partner where he screamed at her that she deserved to be raped by a pack of n-words.

In conclusion, Mel Gibson is not a land of contrasts, just a bad person who doesn't ever learn from his mistakes.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 31, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you want to see a Wayans brother in an action movie might I suggest Most Wanted, 1997. A thoroughly ridiculous movie but wonderful.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

I got curious so I looked this up. Glover was 40 when the first one was made but played a 50 year old, thus I also am older than Glover but not older than Murtaugh when he was too old for this poo poo. Gibson was 30 but played a 38 year old Riggs. Currently Glover is 73 and Gibson 64 (his birthday is in January so he already had it this year, Glover's is in July)
LW completely threw me off and I went through life thinking Glover was a decade older than he actually is.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

4 is odd, but not really too bad. It does feel pretty out of place among the rest of them. It's also Jet Li's first American movie.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There weren't any flamethrowers in the North Hollywood shootout.
He's a crazy armored up guy with a large weapon. They just plussed it up a bit.