Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Last Jedi's subplot problem is because the entire movie was in a holding pattern until Rey finished her spiritual journey. They could have cut everything about the rebel fleet being under seige in space by having them go the base directly, and nothing important to the plot would've been lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Lets not forget that Roland Emmerich wants to do a sequel to the original Stargate film, and completely ignore the existence of the highly popular tv show that is the only reason people even remember that movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The whole Western audiences being annoyed that China is being catered to would be a lot more fun without all the government oppression. Ah well.

Here is the thing, its not China that is being catered to. Its the Chinese censors and government that are being catered to.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, this. I'm not sure where all the "This is worthless without Agent Smith" stuff is coming from. As much as I love Weaving, that character is done and bringing him back for nostalgia's sake is an awful idea.

Yeah, but bringing back that franchise is basically for nostalgia's sake. Like maybe Wachowskis are doing it because they actually want to, but I suspect they are just doing another Matrix because they can't get anything else greenlit after making so many bombs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i wonder how much of it might be sony or naughty dog being too precious about how their very boring protagonist should and shouldn't be portrayed and that clashing with the rotating glass door of directors who want to do anything beyond what's been portrayed in the video games

in general, franchises like this or assassin's creed kinda have an uphill battle in actually making a good, novel movie when the stories and characters are real formulaic and the fun involved was that you get to interact with the setpiece action scenes

meh, I think a lot of video game movies suffer because whoever is making it usually doesn't give a poo poo about what they are adapting. They try to awkwardly turn the movie into what they actually want to make, while having it still vaguely resemble the game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

not all video game stories are equally worth giving a poo poo about in the first place

It doesn't matter if the game story is worth telling or not. The movie is still an adaptation of that game's story, and still has to vaguely resemble it. You get the story the writer and or director wanted to tell awkwardly combined with the story of the original game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Fartbox posted:

It's not that interesting of a movie so most people don't give a poo poo or don't even remember it exists

Even if you believe that to be the case, the manga is pretty popular. I just think fans realize a sequel is highly unlikely.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Thwomp posted:

It was after the Disney buyout that Pixar began to tank.

It wasn’t officially part of the deal but I think everyone could see that Disney demanded sequels to their popular movies in exchange for continued original films.

So for every Inside Out and Coco, they had to make a Monsters University or Finding Dory. I think Up was the last original Pixar movie put into production prior to the buyout.

Couple that with not every original film hitting the mark (see The Good Dinosaur, Brave) and you see an overall decline. Not that Pixar was immune to stinkers before the buyout (A Bugs Life, Cars 2).

It’s that run from Finding Nemo to Toy Story 3 that’s just remarkable. Only Cars was really the notable exception (but even that was just good versus instant classic).

I said it in the animation thread, but I suspect Disney is poaching talent from Pixar. I don't think its a coincidence that Walt Disney Animation studios made a comeback after acquiring Pixar.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They should have just written her out. Make the gap between films longer, say she never fully recovered from her injuries in TLJ and died between films, and actually have Poe leading the resistance since that’s the obvious continuation of his arc from TLJ. Then do ghost Leia at the end to eulogize her if you must and any appearance weirdness can be hidden somewhat by that blue filter and the transparency. Yeah that’s not the most satisfying ending for the character, but it’s better than having Rey awkwardly talk around what was obviously only 30 seconds of usable leftover Leia dialogue and then having her gently caress off mid-conversation to go lay down and die for no reason.

But, you know, all of that would have required a writer and director who actually gave a poo poo.

They had the perfect opportunity to kill off her character in the Last Jedi too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The Shape of Water won four Oscars so I'd expect it sooner than that.

Yes, because the Oscars know what is hip and cool with the kids.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Go gently caress yourself Nolan, people are gonna die.

is any theater going to be open to actually screen it though?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

are we gonna bring back fuckin and killin at the drive in

Drive in theaters were already making a comeback before the whole Coronavirus thing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Josh Gad is the one who won the contest to be in the Artemis Fowl movie, when he was a kid.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I saw an article that said after the 3 month trial expired, Quibi now has only 72,000 paying users.

lol, it has $1.75 billion invested in it. No way are they even making a fraction of their money back.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Now that CG is ubiquitous and the Jurassic Park franchise has turned into a cartoon which may as well be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, can we please get another dinosaur horror franchise going? Ideally something somewhat grounded that downplays the spectacle, because nobody is impressed by a big CG creature anymore.

I'll even take a Carnosaur reboot at this point.

Obviously after making the Monster Hunter movie, Paul W. S. Anderson should tackle Dino Crisis next.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Gatts posted:

John Wick 5 is going to have Alex Winter as the main villain isn't it.

I wonder if 4 is going to have Dracula.

4 is going to have the real Baba Yaga, including her chicken leg house.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does Will Smith need money or something

Will Smith probably doesn't need money, but Jaden Smith is incapable of functioning in the real world without his dad taking care of him.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Flying Zamboni posted:

This conversation did get me thinking: what is the show with the biggest cultural impact with the most poorly received finale? I feel like it's gotta be either GOT or Roseanne.

Seinfeld is a contender too, but its probably Game of Thrones. That show somehow got terrible political think pieces written about it, that acted as though the politics of the fictional setting actually mattered and not just as a reflection of real word politics.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

But Kevin J. Anderson will, by god! And he'll generously give us 10 more books than that loser GRRM ever planned to!

He'll use one crossed out note written on a napkin stained with coffee as the basis of the entire series.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Has there ever been a big epic fantasy novel series that managed to get to the end before the author keeled over? Maybe LotR, but discounting The Hobbit that was just a trilogy. I guess there's Dark Tower but by all accounts that, uh, took one hell of a downturn towards the end.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is finished.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cacator posted:

Didn't they also replace all of the practical effects with CGI for no reason?

No, there was a stated reason, it was just an incredibly stupid reason. The reason being it looked too much like a film from the 1980s.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because if they wanted to release it stateside it should've been VOD.

Not just stateside, some of the countries that got the early theatrical release have a worse death rate from Covid than the US. They only look better if you ignore the population size.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

"postponed"

Although I feel like we might be postponing it to 2023 at this point.

Considering how much resources Japan invested in it over such a long period of time, they are going to push hard for them to happen as soon as possible.

If the Olympic committee didn't cancel it themselves, Japan still might have held them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

There seems to be a lot of renewed interest in ATLA and I hope that series one day does get a proper film adaptation, or sequel, or anything really. The creators were really done dirty by Shyamalan and later Nickelodeon for Legend of Korra.

Nickelodeon actually handled Korra perfectly fine. It was a show that started out with high ratings, but then rapidly declined. It didn't get low ratings because nobody knew about it. It just wasn't liked by most people, including critics. Korra was lucky it somehow managed to get 4 seasons. Tons of shows unfairly got hosed over by networks, but Korra wasn't one of them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

With a multiverse anything can make sense. Bring Tobey and Andrew back and get the Spider-Verse folks in live-action. Why not if the rights are going to go back to Sony after this flick anyway?

Spider Man Noir stand-alone film. Somebody needs to make this happen.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Is it known where the mythical additional hell footage was supposed to show up? Was it just going to be more in the video they see?

Because honestly, the length of that whole sequence is pretty much perfect as is. From the moment where we hear it start but only see the shocked reactions of two crew members, to the chaotic montage that makes you think even the movie thinks it's *wrong* to really show what is going on, to Fishburne's priceless reaction. More self-cannibalization or whatever is supposed to be there would kind of gently caress up the flow.

I think the length of the scene would be the same, but we would have seen more the footage instead of just hearing the audio. So I agree its probably better that they didn't show it. What we can imagine is probably far worse than what they filmed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Also, Ernest Cline can't even be bothered to make it like a year later or something because that would mean having to consider the consequences of the status quo changing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

It's not that surprising that someone who was fairly young at the time would misremember it that way; the Nuremburg Trials no doubt got much more extensive media coverage than Hitler's suicide did.

The origin of the original Mandela Effect is less clear to me; was there a big story about some other South African political prisoner dying, or about Mandela getting sick?
Nah, human memory is easily manipulated and unreliable. The person who coined it was also a so-called "paranormal consultant", so I imagine she greatly exaggerated the number of people she met who believed this. Confirmation bias/leading questions could also be factors because she probably didn't really approach it in a scientific manner.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

i feel like there's a good movie about the destruction of bruce willis' career to be made.

Its not really a huge mystery. The guy is apparently a gigantic rear end in a top hat to work with.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Its also easier to write a kids movie when there aren't any parents to get in the way of their fun time but also dangerous adventures.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

You say “yet another” like there shouldn’t be more predator movies.

There should always be more predator movies.

All 80s franchises need to die.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Outside of the YTMND bit, I like this film for the "punch the keys" bit, which I sometimes bring up with students. When writing, the blank page is your enemy. Put literally anything there. You can fix it later, but you can't fix what you don't write in the first place.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Wasn't the other part of the story, or at least the version I've read before, that Disney had a dream of a whole universe of movies based on theme park rides. They also had ones for Haunted Mansion and Country Bear Jamboree. The whole thing turned out to be a mix of failures and clusterfucks so they basically wrote off Pirates and let them do their own thing, which is why it ended up good.

There was a also a Monkey Island script that never got made that was worked on by the script writer who later went on to write the Pirates of the Caribbean script. From the sound of things, the original Jack Sparrow character was also more of a Guybrush Threepwood character.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

I'm also unfamiliar with the Tower of Terror movie. I found what appears to be a trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln1LVfUSa2U), but it really looks more like a commercial for the ride or a fan film or something. Those exterior shots of the hotel look like they came from someone's home video. Was this just shown as you're waiting to get on the ride?

They showed it on Disney fairly frequently around Halloween. I believe it was made for the channel. I remember liking it as a kid.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

So I watched the new version of The Witches last night, and uh... I read the book years ago as a kid so I don't know how much of this is from the book, but this is the first time I've seen a Roald Dahl adaptation since learning he was a raging anti-Semite, and that could not have been any clearer in the movie. Big-nosed demon-spawn with vaguely Eastern European accents hunting down our precious children to poison as part of their plot to take over the world... hmm, wonder where Dahl got those ideas from?

Also I can't believe that movie came from a combination of Zemeckis and Guillermo del Toro.

Del Toro doesn't exactly have a great track record for the movie he produces.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Legacy doesn't have an actual ending. I was extremely confused when the credits started rolling. The credits just start rolling when a chase scene ends, and they get away with none of the plots really wrapped up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

This movie looks...interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6LSKXva0M

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The definition of White also expands beyond Caucasian people. Some Asian/Middle Eastern people consider themselves white too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

lol, they made the dogs evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Chronicle is basically the closest we will get to a live-action Akira film.