Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

These are still fun, but the overwhelming majority of the ones posted are either commissioned by white Americans to be zany or are outright painted in America to mimic the style of African DIY posters.

Yeah, that's what I assume whenever I see these nowadays. The Ghost Dog one is art though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm almost disappointed this is actually a reasonable length because the idea of a 5 hour long Wes Anderson film is weirdly hilarious to me. It would probably be a complete nightmare too, and that's coming from someone who likes him for the most part.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder what the guy who played Goku is up to

He and Bulma were both in Shameless. I think he's supposed to be some kind of bad boy car thief that has an on-again off-again with her or something.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I thought the other lead got fired for being a huge rear end in a top hat that everyone hated.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that bad title is not helping

I had no idea that it was some kind of spy movie until someone mentioned it in the thread

I actually think the title's kind of cool. I would never guess it was supposed to be some sort of spy thriller based on it though. I saw the trailer months ago and it looked ok I guess, but not something I would really bother seeing. Plus I don't like Blake Lively that much.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jerkface posted:

One more thing about Rhythm Section, Jude Law has the titular line where he says something like "Thats the Rhythm Section" when the rhythm section appears on screen

Ok, I take back my previous post.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Simplex posted:

I think there's a much better argument to be made that we would see pseudo religions forming around The Room or Troll 2 or something than with the MCU or Star Wars.

I can definitely see Tommy Wiseau becoming some sort of religious figure/prophet in the post-apocalyptic future.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Joss Whedon's never been quite this specifically gross. As in, I've never had the impression he is repeatedly putting his own rape fantasies on screen.

It didn't make it to screen, but he did talk about Firefly and how the syringe that Inara keeps with her in case of a Reaver invasion, which I always assumed was some kind of suicide thing, was actually something that would kill anyone that tried to rape her. But not immediately, it took some time to work. So Whedon's idea for her backstory was that a bunch of Reavers invaded her ship and killed everyone but her. But then when a rescue party goes in, they find that she's still alive and all the Reavers are dead...

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I heard the first episode of the new Dracula was pretty good, the second was ok, and the third was mindbogglingly stupid.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't go to the theater very often, so I think the last one I saw was Pain and Glory, which I totally loved.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

According to director Luca Guadagnino he's working on a sequel to Call Me by Your Name and that everybody will be back. I really liked the original but I'm just not sure what a sequel could bring to the table without feeling like a cash in. Having Elio and Oliver meet up years later and get back together just kind of robs the original ending of its power.

He's been saying that for a while, but last I checked it was just everyone saying they'd be down to do another one. Which I think is a pretty stupid idea. It really seems like the kind of movie that would be diminished by a sequel. The author of the book wrote a sequel to it last year though, but I think it was mainly about Elio's dad or something.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I put off seeing Hateful 8 until recently because it seemed like a lot of people were disappointed with it and I didn't feel like sitting through a three hour movie. But I'm glad I finally watched it because I loved it, as it turned out. It didn't even feel like it was that long either. I guess I just really love the "people talking in a room" genre.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I saw an article that said after the 3 month trial expired, Quibi now has only 72,000 paying users.

I’d like to like Quibi because there’s a lot of cool people there and providing a space for them to make original content is good, but they’ve made it impossible. Every single decision they’ve made is laughable. That Vulture article painted Katzenberg as a several decades out of touch old man who is absolutely convinced of his own rightness and won’t hear anything to the contrary. It seems like he just roped people into it by calling up all his celebrity friends and going “Hey, check out this hip new thing the kids are going to love! All my other famous friends are doing it, you want to too right?!” And then everyone convinced themselves normal people were going to pay money for this because of how much they’d already invested, even though YouTube is right there.

The golden arm thing was pretty funny though, so I’d say it’s still a net positive that Quibi exists.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

drat, even they don’t want Taylor Lautner.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Cameo posted:

It is huge with Millennial women. I don’t know if I know any that are indifferent or hate it. I presume this is because for a lot of them it was the first movie they might have seen where it’s just a bad rear end woman doing bad rear end things and isn’t jonesing for some dude’s dick.

Yeah, Mulan rules. I didn't really care about most of the other Disney princess movies as a kid, but I loved Mulan. I have zero interest in the live-action version though, especially for $30.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I believe their dads are both super rich, but I don't think either of them had worked on anything particularly good beforehand. Maybe someone at HBO is a huge fan of Troy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

So originally there was 5 pitches for a prequel series that they whittled down to two. I believe they cancelled one before it was in production and what remains is a Targaryen prequel series thats filming now. I'm fairly sure its not been cancelled.

Yeah originally there were a bunch of prequels that they pitched. The big one was supposed to be set in the “Age of Heroes”, 10,000 years or whatever before the series, and be about all the cool historical things mentioned in the books. Naomi Watts was one of the stars. It was announced sometime before the finale and seemed like a foregone conclusion that it would be picked up, but then HBO watched the pilot and was like “nah”.

If I cared about watching a GoT prequel series I would be kind of disappointed. That one seemed to have more potential to be interesting than a Targaryen origin story, which sounds boring and awful.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If we're going to resurrect a dead script for a super hero movie, it's going to be Nick Cave's Gladiator script. We'll change Maximus to Ares and make it a Marvel movie.

As long as it still ends in one of the Pentagon's bathrooms.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Better Call Saul is great specifically because it's mostly its own story instead of just Breaking Bad: The Prequel. The Gus stuff is easily the weakest part of the show because as much as I like Giancarlo Esposito, I don't really need a retread of his character. If I wanted to watch him play a ruthless and calculating businessman I'll just watch Breaking Bad. Or The Boys.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dexter is coming back!

No, but seriously, who asked for this? I liked the first couple seasons and then got bored and quit watching. I've heard very few positive things about the later seasons and the finale is one of the dumbest of all time. It seems like this is just picking up from the last episode, which retroactively makes it even worse.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the deal with Friedkin? I know he believes in God, but is he in chud territory?

That and a full-on KKK apologist.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also, and this isn't really the same thing at all, but he's very derisive about Jackson Pollock and while I'm not a huge fan myself I get really sick of the argument that he just dripped paint on a canvas and how that's not art it's bullshit. Motherfucker if you could do it yourself why the gently caress didn't you?

Oh man, I hate those kinds of people and their criticisms of "modern art" (half the time it's not even modern). It's a surefire way to know that they're completely fine with not knowing what the gently caress they're talking about and that they will get very mad if you point that out. I guess it fits in with being a chud pretty well actually.

Side note: I'm also not a particular fan of Pollock but seeing his stuff in person is pretty cool and totally different from looking at it on your computer screen.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

There's no point in making a new thread because none of the 2020 movies came out. Just change the thread title to Nobody Greenlightninged 2020 Part 2: Back in the Habit and then make a new thread in like 2023 or whenever.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The music transition is incredibly stupid but also cool as hell.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cacator posted:

I gotta say Gael Garcia Bernal losing his youthful looks is pretty terrifying.

Oh, is that actually him? I saw the screenshot and thought it looked like an older version of him, but I guess that's just current him. He's still in the top 1% of the world's most beautiful people though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Len posted:

The chemical that kills your rapist is a thing someone came up with

They then carried that thought out to "she was found surrounded by dead men"

That is seriously just the weirdest thing. It's described like Whedon thought it was the coolest thing ever too. Like what the hell, when they showed Inara with the syringe I just figured it was supposed to be like a cyanide capsule she had just in case, not whatever the gently caress Whedon came up with.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Romeo + Juliet is probably the best movie we watched in high school. We watched part of the 1968 version too, but I don't remember anything about that other than my teacher telling everyone to "be mature please" during that one scene.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

There was one year, I think it was on the second to last day of school. No one cared anymore and we were all just waiting to get out. The principal came on the intercom and announced that they were just going to show a movie instead. Everyone cheered. Our teacher rolled out the tv and turned it on. It was What Women Want.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Flying Zamboni posted:

Honestly I think it's pretty goofy that Daniel Day-Lewis does it too. To me it's always seemed like an affectation more than anything.

It is goofy, but he is a Serious Actor playing important roles, not a half-vampire vampire hunter (Blade rules).

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

RevKrule posted:

He was very threatening and imposing in Corporate.

I feel like “threatening and imposing” is his general vibe, even when he’s not playing a villain. I have zero trouble imagining him as some crazy evil dude like Wesker.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So what's the joke?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

According to Nic Cage, he's no longer working on the Tiger King project he was previously announced to have been involved in with Amazon, and now that project may not even happen at all.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nicolas-cage-joe-exotic-tiger-king-shelved-amazon

I think pretty much everyone is over Tiger King at this point, so this seems like a smart decision. I love Nic Cage, but I don’t have it in me to care about this project midway through 2021. I forgot that other one was still happening. I have a hard time imagining it turning out as anything other than extremely unfunny and out-of-date.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was kind of disappointed in Velvet Buzzsaw overall, but Gyllenhaal was great in it. He’s such a pathetic piece of poo poo in it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The US Office had a lot of good stuff but it went on for way way too long. That's one good thing about a lot of British shows, they get two or three seasons of 8-10 episodes and that's it, they don't let them drag on way past their expiration date.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

Serious question: is there ANY job that is not soul crushing and miserable? Because white collar/tech seem like heaven compared to retail, unsafe or backbreaking physical labor, being treated and paid like crap in teaching, healthcare and non profits, etc

I genuinely like my job and most of my coworkers. The downside is I'm in a field that's considered "fun" (environmental science field stuff) which is used as an excuse to pay people gently caress-all. I make enough to support myself but only because I have several roommates and don't really spend money on anything aside from bills and food. That's always been my financial situation as an adult so I'm used to it. The best I can hope for if I stay in this line of work is maybe being able to afford my own apartment someday. But hey, it's fun!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm a sucker for any kind of asteroid disaster movie, so I'm into this. The moon's going to hit the planet, yeah sure whatever. I just love seeing Earth get totally demolished. It has to be a big thing hitting the earth though, I don't care about other natural disasters like volcanoes or earthquakes.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

A couple years ago there was a big online thing where some college assigned a YA book as their "let's all read a book together to discuss it as a school" thing, and one student complained and suggested that maybe a college should try to assign something weightier than a book written for pre-teens, and it turned into a big dogpile by YA fanatics who accused the student (who was a woman) of being a misogynist and classist and whatever because of the implication that YA books aren't just as deep as books written for adults.

YA twitter is completely loving insane. It’s hard to explain just how hosed up it is, but a bunch of successful adult writers dog piling on a random college student and engaging in a full-scale harassment campaign against her is completely normal behavior in that sphere. But this one was kind of funny because the original comment was in a local news article from years ago and then one day the (very successful and popular) YA author was googling herself, saw it, and just loving lost it.

It’s really bizarre to see this combination of insecurity and entitlement in people. They’ve made a bunch of incredibly successful things that are beloved by many and have made them tons of money, but wait hold on, some random-rear end person thinks they’re better suited for kids rather than adults, and they’re ordering a loving drone strike on them.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was super obsessed with Sin City when it came out. I was 14 so pretty much the perfect age for that kind of movie. I definitely remember obsessively following any news about Sin City 2, it was going to have Johnny Depp and all these other cool people and be even more violent and it would just be really awesome and it's definitely coming out soon!

I haven't seen Sin City 2 and prefer to pretend that it doesn't exist. It sounds kind of funny though, maybe I'll give it a watch one of these days.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He would be better as Odie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Back when he was first cast on Glee, I remember everyone wondering if that was the name of the character or the actor.