Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

duz posted:

I meant more he hadn't become his usual egg shape where it would make sense to call him that.

Sonic calls him Eggman because of his flying drones, which are white and vahuely egg shaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The MSJ posted:

I am still freaked out but also amused that Starscream, an F22, is officially licensed by Lockheed-Martin.

Apparently Bay got all that in the film by telling them how powerful and violent the Decepticons were, and of course they would want the deadliest machine on earth to transform into.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It also feels weirdly mild to take the "many Bothan spies died for this" line and turn it into a whole planet getting Death Star'd. The one-liner presents so much more intrigue than the blockbuster film generates.

That was for the second Death Star - in the Disney canon they've yet to answer exactly who or what a Bothan is, or what happened to them (presumably so they can save it for some hypothetical Rogue Two).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The characters from that comic were in a deleted scene in Solo (and mentioned by name in the novelization) , so they're arguably more canon than they used to be.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAkl3qMANGi/?igshid=g50h42mpqofn

This demented image has been going around, that's a hell lot to cram into the Snyder cut if it's real

It looks to be mostly true.

• 4 hours long - Snyder likes to make long movies, but they'll probably trim it down somewhat.
  • Cyborg is the heart of the movie - A lot of his stuff was cut from the theatrical version. Joss apparently hated him.
  • Great CGI - Depends how much time and money it gets. A lot of very cool conceptual stuff was cut for the theatrical version, and it would have an actual color palette instead of a red grade over everything.
  • Uxas invades Earth -He just replaces Steppenwolf in the History Lesson sequence.
  • Aquaman visits Atlantis - I heard "the entire Atlantis sequence" was cut shortly after Joss took over, but that might have just referred to a reworking of the existing underwater stuff.
  • Martian Manhunter and Atom appear - Snyder shared storyboards where Lennox was revealed as Manhunter, and Ryan Choi is a Star Labs scientist in the film, but they wouldn't actually join the team or do anything significant.
  • The Flash goes back in time - This was cut and replaced with the Russian Family stuff.
  • 3 Green Lanterns Appear - Doubtful. A Green Lantern was rushed into the theatrical version a couple of weeks before the VFX were supposed to be finished. It wouldn't have been such a scramble if they had already done work on it.
  • WW Kills Steppenwolf - True. The shots where she chopped off his head were reused for the part where she destroys his axe.
  • Deathstroke breaks Lex out of prison - Possible. Joe Manganiello tweeted a reference to a different credits scene featuring his character.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Clowner posted:

I can see why Whedon would not be a fan of Snyder's work, given that the former despises grimdark and can't help cheapening anything serious in his screenplays with a joke, but there's no evidence to suggest they didn't get along or even interacted with each other at all during the production of justice league

To clarify, Joss hated Cyborg, not Zack. Apparently the only character he did like was Wonder Woman.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hey, maybe she's just there to receive a medal on behalf of her nephew ARMY, who was killed by cartels 3 times on the Mexican border.

https://twitter.com/KristySwansonXO/status/1084107338942840832?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like Natasha Lyonne has the right amount of dangerous negligence to allow a kid to kill himself on Pluto to prove a point to his cousin.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I really feel like that website is misrepresenting how credible that guy is, when they don't even show a picture of how he dresses in his videos.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

The director has talked about how the Joker plotline is one of the most butchered parts. Maybe the original was terrible
The stuff I've seen of the cut Joker sequences wasn't super inspiring, but probably would have worked in the context of the character as Harley's skeezy ex-boyfriend.
One of them had Joker try to sway Harley back to his side after throwing her out of a helicopter by proclaiming himself the king of Gotham and saying "every king needs his sweet little bitch".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alhazred posted:

How could you even write a sequel to LotR? Sauron was specifically the last major force of evil in the world, every magical creature is leaving Middle-Earth or hiding so deep that they vanish from sight, Smaug was the last dragon and he was killed in the Hobbit, Shelob is slowly dying of a mortal wound, Gandalf is the only wizard left and he's on a boat to eternity and the orcs are described as losing all willpower and is just wandering aimlessly around. There just isn't that much to make a story of.

Tolkien actually started writing a sequel, but only got as far as a 13 page manuscript before deciding it wouldn't be worth doing.

It would have taken place about a hundred years after the end of Return of the King, at the end of Aragorn's sons' reign. With the Elves gone and the Dwarves deep underground, the world was ruled by humans, who had pretty much forgotten about the events of the series except as stories. Their society became restless and discontented, with at least one cult springing up to cause trouble.

The story itself seemingly centered around an old man being recruited to investigate one of these cults, since he was old enough to remember the smell of the old Evil, which could rise again in the hearts of men unless they were constantly vigilant against it (they weren't).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

According to the article, the 70 million is for the entire project, not just shooting additional material.

And it's not like the money is just going into a grinder that produces a movie at the other end - it's paying the bills of people that otherwise wouldn't have work because nobody's been filming anything for the past 6 months.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder if they'll include George Lucas tanking American Zoetrope with THX-1138, forcing Coppola to take the project in the first place.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So was Justice League intended to be black and white? It's weird, cuz, sure, it looks pretty stunning in black and white in some scenes there, but some of it also just looks like a dark smudgy mess.

edit: oh I guess it's just for the trailer??

It wasn't intended to be black and white originally, but Snyder saw some of what they were doing with the color grading in the marketing after he was off the movie, and then graded the version of the cut that he had at home to be black and white to further distance it from the theatrical version. Since it's the only way he's been seeing the movie for most of the past 3 years, he's gotten attached to it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, they should have just stuck with Colin Farrell.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Is having it be in a fancy hotel a way to save money on the cast and permitting or something? Like they just have the human cast stay there with a group rate or something instead of having to move/breakdown/setup trailers?

Seems like they shot it on a soundstage, so more likely any cost saving would come from only having to build one hotel room and hallway set and just re-dressing it a bunch of times.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Wait I thought those characters were brother and sister :psyduck:

The Spy Kids are brother and sister. Shark Boy and Lava Girl are just some kid's imaginary friends, and at some point he imagined them loving.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

aware of dog posted:

Tbh the baseball scene alone makes the first movie worth it

It's loving wild that they made the actors hold a CGI baseball to make sure the logo was visible.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's also a quote from Frank Miller where he talks about how cruel the Spartans actually were, and having to tone it down to make them palatable protagonists to a modern audience:

quote:

Frank Miller, author of the graphic novel 300, talked about the nature of the Spartans in an interview, "The Spartans were a paradoxical people. They were the biggest slave owners in Greece. But at the same time, Spartan women had an unusual level of rights. It's a paradox that they were a bunch of people who in many ways were fascist, but they were the bulwark against the fall of democracy. ... I didn't want to render Sparta in overly accurate terms, because ultimately I do want you to root for the Spartans. I couldn't show them being quite as cruel as they were. I made them as cruel as I thought a modern audience could stand."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's also a few other things to consider.

One is eye tracing - Kong's position in frame at the start of the shot in the frame should roughly match where he is at the end of the preceding shot, so the audience doesn't have to suddenly search for him across the cut, especially since he's doing one continuous action.

The start of the shot is a bit more symmetrically balanced, and it follows Kong's fist across the frame until it makes contact.

The shot is also intentionally not completely symmetrical - good directors working with CG will think about the camera operator as another character in the shot, specifically where they're standing or what they're doing to keep up with the action. In this case, they're likely treating Kong and Godzilla as wild animals whose fight choreography can't be directed, so they mounted a camera on a ship that's trying (and not quite succeeding) to keep pace with the one the monsters are on, hoping to capture whatever they end up doing in their fight.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

The latest James Bond film might have to do reshoots...because it's been sitting around so long the tech gadgets the characters have due to product placement are no longer the newest models! But the report originates from The Sun, so how true it is might depend on a certain point of view. They'll probably just CG in fancier phones.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2561937/no-time-to-die-might-have-to-go-into-reshoots-for-a-very-unique-reason-daniel-craig

Probably a combination - reshoots of close-ups that just feature the products and not the actors faces, and CG replacements for shots where the devices are prominent enough to be distinguishable, but too expensive to reshoot.

Bond isn't the only place it's happening, either. I worked on a movie earlier this year that was pushed out, and we had to change some visible 2020's to 2021 so that the movie would stay current.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

8one6 posted:

The thing I remember from that was Emilia Clarke admitting she didn't know what film noir or a femme fatale was.

To be fair, actors generally need actionable direction. Telling her to do a scene "film noir" doesn't really inform her about what the directors think her character's objective in the scene is.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

But again again, Howard said it was his (son's) idea to use Maul, which seems like a big chunk of the plot to innovate for a replacement director hired at the last minute after his predecessors were fired for not following the letter of the script.

Apparently they just got a big list of existing characters that could be the ultimate boss of Crimson Dawn, but Jon Kasdan also said that he wrote subtle hints that the boss could be Maul into the script. I don't know if that was to lead the directors down a certain path towards Maul, or if it was in response to the choice, to help it not come completely out of nowhere.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That was apparently down to Robert Rodriguez not wanting to insult him by asking him to come back for a movie where he had his face covered the whole time and didn't speak.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Like everything in Disney Star Wars, they stole the look from old Ralph McQuarrie artwork:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Klowner posted:

I think the projected screen tech is really cool. It excites me because of the potential for indie projects and low budget productions to have sets which allow for fantastical locations while also providing a modicum of realism for the actors, especially in the age of covid. Of course the companies who control those sets are gonna charge an arm and a leg to shoot there and kill the dream in the crib

There's also the problem of having to build the virtual environments beforehand, which isn't going to be cheap either.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maybe they're expecting David Leitch's Bullet Train to be a hit and are expecting people to get real into movies set on trains.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've always guessed it the producer or director's pet idea that no one else was allowed say no to until the public backlash hit.

From what remember while working on it, the design that led to the first first trailer was a combination of the director and Sega having conflicting requirements for the character. The director wanted him to be more animalistic and realistic, with early designs being more in the style of the Peter Rabbit movie from 2018. Sega wanted to make sure it still looked like their mascot character, so it was a tug of war to try to get Sonic the familiar features Sega wanted, while not looking "too cartoony". The end result was a compromise on all sides, which ended up not really working for anyone (especially the audience).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

The only time they did it right was detective Pikachu.

Which ironically shared a lot of the same VFX crew as Sonic.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder how many Pokemon pitches Nintendo had to reject because they were all 'Kid from the real world is sucked into a world of Pokemon' or 'Pikachu is created by a scientist in a freak treadmill accident and they go to New York' or something along those lines.

Probably not a ton - I remember hearing The Pokemon Company didn't really want to do a live action movie, which Warner Bros circumvented by getting the rights to a specific game, which wasn't developed by Game Freak. At that point, They kind of had to play ball in order to insure brand integrity, and were pretty hands on during the design approval process.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I wouldn't really describe the Pokemon in Detective Pikachu as grimy and hairy and disgusting.

Some of them are unintentionally disconcerting, just by the nature of translating the designs so closely. It's not a case of Hollywood trying to chase a demographic with the designs, though. Similar to the problem with Sonic, it's a balancing act between the director wanting to make things "realistic" and the copyright holders wanting to maintain brand integrity with their existing designs. The Pokemon Company was insanely specific about how things could be presented in the movie, to the degree that there were like three or four different levels of people who had to comb through the signs used in the background of the city to make sure everything was on-brand.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The advertisements for the games themselves seem to be going for a middle-ground, where the pokemon are modeled and textured to look cartoon-like, but lit and rendered to sit in the real world.

A lot of the newer pokemon designs are really graphic as opposed to anatomical, so I think this probably works if you want to be able to put any pokemon into an ad. The live-action franchise has to be more selective about which pokemon they choose to include, since there are some that are going to be a lot harder to translate to that style.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Don't discount the possibility of trolling, too. We now live in an era where directors can and do spend millions of studio dollars to troll the internet. Though trolling requires some level of self-awareness so I'm not sure to what degree I'd see Snyder on either side of that particular fence.

Snyder seems to be self-aware, he's just not self-conscious. In interviews and things it seems like he's super earnest about the work that he does, and just goes all-in on stuff that other people might find silly. His tastes certainly don't align with a lot of people's out there, but I've never gotten the sense that the guy's oblivious about his work or how it's perceived.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don't think Zack Snyder believes that the Joker is like Jesus. I do think that Zack would have his Joker become a self-styled messianic figure in the post apocalypse Darkseid world.
I wouldn't be surprised if the scene has him affecting the crown of thorns to poke fun at the symbolism of the previous movies - either by mocking Batman's Longinus moment and grilling him about putting all his faith in someone who fell prey to the Anti-Life Equation and became the enemy Batman predicted in the first place, or by mocking Batman for thinking of himself as some kind of savior for humanity while he's been reduced to wandering the desert getting tricked by green lightbulbs.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's probably in the movie, otherwise it means someone had a crown of thorns just sitting around.

This Ray Fisher pic from the same session is probably just a goof, though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the point of the bomb is that, yes it adds an acceptable reason for Superman to miss it, but he says to Lois "I'm afraid I didn't see it because I wasn't looking". He doesn't accept the scapegoat, and internalizes his culpability in the bombing enough to question whether Superman as a concept is even valid.

I think the theatrical cut is more interesting in some ways because it doesn't provide concrete answers to things like whether or not Superman killed those people in Africa, or if he could have stopped the bomb and chose not to. While the Ultimate Edition proves that Superman is being set up by Luthor as a villain, the theatrical cut asks the audience to take Superman at his word, and I wonder if people's enjoyment of it are at all related to whether or not they believe him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Seltzerberg didn’t do An American Carol, and it looks like they’ve been in DTV hell for over a decade at this point.

Looking them up, they didn't even work on Scary Movie (despite constantly being credited as "two of the six writers of Scary Movie"). Apparently they were working on a totally separate Scream parody for Miramax, and the WGA decided that they had to be credited on Scary Movie, since that was the one that got made.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I always thought it would be interesting to have a D&D movie explicitly take place inside someone's campaign, and to use the fantasy world as a way for the real-world versions of the characters to work through unresolved issues they have with each other.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Community kind of did it a couple of times too, though not with the budget that would allow the in-game portions of the story to be fully realized.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like that's also a problem that arises from working on the movie for a long time. I'm sure the dialogue is perfectly audible to Nolan, because he's written/read the script and already knows what everyone's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't this series set between Episode III and IV? Wouldn't he just be Vader? I could be wrong about the time period though.

That's what they've been saying, but James Earl Jones isn't included in the cast list, so it might just be Clone Wars flashbacks.