Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
ASK ME ABOUT MY SELF-PUBLISHED WARHAMMER FANFICTION AND MY KNIFE COLLECTION

Pirate Jet posted:

Atomic Blonde is good but not really an action movie, it only has two action sequences that got a lot of attention because it was the first movie from a John Wick director that wasnít John Wick (even though David Leitch is more of a work-for-hire director that was only on the first JW to guide Chad Stahelski.) And theyíre phenomenal scenes, but donít really define the movie, which is just a pretty solid Cold War thriller.

This is the first Iíve heard someone praise Proud Mary, Iíve only heard bad things before. Not saying youíre wrong, but I am curious what you liked about it.

Haywire is indeed dope.

Proud Mary is just...fine. There's a good story in there and a lot of good character work from a good cast, but I remember alot of it just sliding out of my brain after I finished watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i watched Anna on the plane and yeah, it's a very unessential film

the one extended action scene is really good. Pity about the rest of the film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the US only hates France because they told us to gently caress off on the Iraq War

Freedom Fries!

Truly, this has always been the stupidest timeline.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

He was one of the mains in Shameless and was recently in that really really bad Netflix scifi show "Another Life" playing Katie Sackoffs husband.

Another Life is dope. It's like 8 different shows crammed in together. It's a rad kind of stupid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

HEY IM ALEXANDER HAMILTON AND IM HERE TO SAY
I LOVE LEARNING AMERICAN HISTORY
IN A SPECIAL WAY

At least we got that guy who was in Blindspotting out of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Another Wonder Woman this year will make mad money again.

Wait until Avatar 2 makes billions, then Cameron can say "more Alita or no more Avatar".

I hope Avatar 2 makes billions if that's the case.

Edit:
Hey, Roger Deakins won an Oscar!

he's loving up my favourite oscars running gag.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Imagine the trial/error process for finding out how that works.

It's exactly the sort of stupid poo poo the nazis would have figured out though. The V2 program killed ten times more people who were working on it than they managed to kill on purpose.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The very recent Bond movie that sucked rear end, with the same actor, to narrow it down.

(That said, Spectre's probably legit the worst Bond movie. Even A View to a Kill has one of the best themes, plus Walken and Grace Jones. Spectre's got nothing.)

Nah, Batista does a lot with very little, and the train fight and car chase are both good, as is the whole sequence in Mexico (even as it's utter nonsense if you're mexican, which my wife never fails to point out) It's a spectacular,, elaborate execution of a very bad script. There's a lot of really cool bits that are wasted on a really lovely, meandering plot that winds up saying less than nothing.

Doomsday loving rules. It's five movies mashed into one and i will always love it for that. I miss Neil Marshall.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pospysyl posted:

Nowadays Mexico City actually does do that parade because it brings so many tourists there.

Fun fact according to a friend: all the extras in the scene are italian. Despite shooting in the middle of Mexico city, in one of its most famous buildings (the hotel) the production shipped in dozens of italian extras to play mexicans in a parade they made up. You read that sentence and you start to understand why film costs are ballooning.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I recently rewatched it with my dad, a huge bond fan, and that escape sequence after the torture scene (which even has a cat being pet!) ending with the whole facility mysteriously firebombed made us laugh. Just love how absurd that bit is. And they get a helicopter to fly off!

E: come to think of it bond chasing batista and Swann in his plane which keeps getting more and more ruined but somehow still winning was also a really funny action sequence

I completely forgot about the plane sequence (gently caress it's a long movie) and yeah, it's got some good stuff. "no, stay." to one of the anonymous goons is a good line. But even then, it feels patched together. A baddie pulling out a syringe, the girl using it on him, and everyone immediately forgetting that they were going to sedate/kill this girl is either sloppy or a good gag, i can't quite decide.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Or get Armando Iannucci to direct it.

This is actually a legit great suggestion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Iíd be more excited if his last Rambo movie wasnít a lovely, racist, jingoistic piece of poo poo.

And, to boot, ignoring it's hateful politics and message, it wasn't even much of an action movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

The fundamental difference being that Bright is essentially the sequel to Lord of the Rings, and the different races and their prejudices are based on ancient poo poo. It might sound nitpicky, but one of the reasons that the concept works in Shadowrun is because goblinization was a cataclysm forced upon the modern world and has only really been a thing for over half a century or so - whereas Bright bases the concept on Sauron's conquest, but the world is basically still just the same as our world except there are centaurs and poo poo. The whole thing is such a wasted opportunity to actually examine ideas of age-long hatreds and racial stratification, but it just turns out to be "orcs are gangbangers and fairies are pests, look there's one shot of a dragon in the sky" and also the main character is a huge racist and we're still supposed to sympathize with him. Nothing about that movie works.

The first Lindsay Ellis video i watched was her breakdown of Bright, and while her style of analysis has some built in limitations, a wasted opportunity like Bright is almost tailor made for it. She tore it to shreds. It was great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DarkSol posted:

Is this the sequel to The Kid with the Golden Arm that no one wanted or asked for?

Annoying since we've all been clamouring for 'I'm the motherfuckin' hot knicks' for years

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I have to challenge this, because looking him up, he did the stunts for Captain America 3 which I thought not only had terrible fight choreography on its own merits, but especially in contrast to Captain America 2, which has one of the absolute best fight coordination of any superhero movie.

any superhero movie? Really?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I can see a solid tech demo being released, maybe a bit part in a movie, but... Tarkin in Rogue One was painful to look at. Subtle digital deaging is here to stay and only getting better, but complete reanimation (pardon the pun) seems a lot further off. The 2029 movie starring John Wayne, Marlon Brando, and Judy Garland is going to make The Polar Express look natural and realistic.

The Tarkin one, i think, is much more glaring because the voice is so incredibly wrong. Cushing had a great voice, and Cushing as Tarkin had a very distinctive voice, and Rogue One's take is nowhere near, which surprised me. There's got to be so much recording of Cushing over the number of films he did that you'd sort of just be able to paste it together from pre-existing recordings. As it is, Stephen Fry's imitation of him on QI was legit better.

Detective No. 27 posted:

When watching RoS, in my head, when she walked away from everyone, I jokingly thought "well, I'm gonna go lay down and die now." And then she did.

I was working really hard not to laugh in that sequence. How did we get something a thousand times less convincing than Oliver Reed twenty years ago?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Just because you don't want to rewatch something doesn't make it bad, nor less enjoyable.

This is true. I've never watched City of God again, and have watched 2007's Hitman an unjustifiable number of times.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ChickenMedium posted:

And he was still in teens when he directed it

You should feel bad about this. It's clever, but you should still feel bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Again, you could only come to this conclusion if you didnít watch the movie. Shaloubís character is constantly portrayed as a colossal piece of poo poo who mistreats his employees, has contempt for everyone beneath him, and is only a regular human being at the Shabbat scene surrounded by his rich friends and family. Heís never portrayed in a sympathetic light except for the contrast of the absurdity of violence visited against him.

Leaving out a simple fact from the real life story has nothing to do with the movie as a cohesive whole, which takes the mindset of American rugged individualism, and drives it to its natural conclusion, which is robbing people and murdering them like barbarians.

You can call me illiterate as hard as you want, but you just chose to quickly paper over the fact that I entirely dismantled your bit about the main characters being an Occupy analogue by simply posting a clip from the opening five minutes of the film.

I also love the ending where a well off guy in a river front house with it's own jetty wonders why some people are so greedy. Pain and Gain has a lot going on.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rochallor posted:

99% certain it's the final moments of episode 1, season 2, but I haven't watched it since it was on

There's so many insane sequences in that show that I'm sort of guessing. My pick would have been faceless hannibal. It's not the goriest scene, but I found it to be really unsettling. Especially the way Mads moves around an extremely dangerous killer with absolutely no fear or concern. Or how friendly he was with the guy he's killing in that scene.

It was a really loving good show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The best scene in Hannibal was a callback to Seven

The mushroom garden

How that got on network tv

That was pretty amazing too. Almost every episode had some sequence or shot that, had it appeared in a film, been that scene that people bring up years later. The one that very few mention was the bee and honey scene late in the first season, with Amanda Plummer talking about filling people with light. It's actually awesome but barely stands out among the rest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey NBCU, lets get another season of Hannibal on Peacock. Do it you cowards.

Apparently the showrunner is an insane perfectionist and that was part of why Hannibal was cancelled and why he got booted from American Gods, which immediately stopped having any reason to watch it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

someone put a lot of work into that robot's rear end. I don't think that's just Vikander's butt done in metal, but there is no way for me to check without being a creepier person than i am by default so i'll just leave it.

HannibalBarca posted:

Middleditch was bad in Godzilla: King of the Monsters, but then again so was most of the cast. I have no further thoughts.

That loving movie. Why do you bother getting Charles Dance to be in a movie about giant monsters and not give him a pithy monologue? Why do you get someone as good as Vera Famiga to do one front on to a webcam in the least cinematic way? What a loving waste of time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

In a similar vein someone on this forum once posited that 9/11 and the resulting military/cop worship had the effect of taking the teeth out of the Matrix sequels. The Matrix had this whole thing about the machines being "The Man" and guys like the Cops who worked for them being willing slaves worthy of derision. The Agents were even expressly meant to resemble the Government. And the misery of Capitalist wage slavery is presented as an integral aspect of what makes the Matrix simulation a prison. Then Rebooted and Revolutions come out and killing cops is verboten, and instead of being coded as Capitalism/The Government the bad guys are fantastical.

I remember reading a few pearl clutching posts decrying the slaughter of the armed and armoured SWAT team that guards a military building who were just doing their jobs. Not that many, but more than one, which is too many

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Because God is dead and everything is permitted.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Kirk Cameron was just ahead of the game, my man.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not sure on how good Cavill would be as Karl-Franz. Then again I always preferred Karl the politician to karl the giant warrior.

Maybe Cavill as Felix in a Gotrek and Felix series?

That is something that it's a little surprising doesn't already exist. The Gotrek and Felix books were really fun and lend themselves to adaptation, being mostly a fairly normal dude seeing the weirdness of the Warhammer world, which is basically lord of the rings but rewritten by a sugared up teenager.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

And then at the end, when the old friend rushes to confront the murderer, Holmes is already there.

Heck, make it a series about London's second best detective arriving at crime scenes Holmes already puzzled out offscreen.

I think you just described Sherlock (sherlock is very bad)

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Rumor is that Chad Stahelski, director of the John Wick franchise is doing a reboot of Highlander.

Highlander is weird since it's a movie lots of people can name, maybe they can even quote a line or two of dialogue from it (the famous one, certainly) but very few can tell you anything more about and even fewer have seen it. I had to explain to two separate friends and my wife what the highlander was in the space of a week at one point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ChickenMedium posted:

He must be a total rear end in a top hat or just impossible to work with, because he always does great work in whatever he's in and it makes no sense that he's not a bigger star.

That doesn't track at all. He's been consistently getting work with all kinds of people in all kinds of films for nearly 30 years. That may just be the niche he's happy in. Not everyone wants to be a chris pratt type leading man.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The career of Linus Roache really pisses me off. He was so good in Find Me Guilty and Before the Rains that I just wonder: is he cursed because he was in Chronicles of Riddick??

he was great in vikings and was in it for like 5 seasons or so.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Twitter account 'Taylor Swift updates' dunking on Wonder Woman is very on brand for this year.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Throw Mr. and Mrs. Smith From The Train

drat this is good.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

yeah, this is basically why I don't think Leto was a good fit. Leto as Wallace comes off like he's affecting being a weird, offputting dude, whereas Bowie was pretty much at that level of weird 24/7 anyways and would have felt way more natural, like the character just is that way.

But that, in turn, fits the aesthetic of the world and the layers performance and artifice that everyone has up at all times. It fits the way his corporate hq is just a far bigger version of the Tyrell HQ. The character is playing a character within the movie. If you don't make those insane 'we'll build colony ships' ceos weird dorks, people start thinking they're actually good, like Mr House in New Vegas.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is late, but I always loved Ben Foster. From the jump, he enlivened whatever mediocre, bad, or okay films he was in. 30 Days of Night, 3:10 to Yuma...honestly Hell or High Water after rewatches is solid C+ or B- (it's totally fine), but he's fantastic in it (god are the two cops and their "connection" annoying, like Breaking Bad rejects, Jeff Bridges with that stupid mouth jammed full of cotton the whole movie).
I really would love to see him in like, every other movie, esp if he was doin some weird fuckin voice or act. Hell, there's an actor for the Joker (who also deserves better).

Don't forget Alpha Dog (which isn't a very good movie, but Foster is great in it) and Hostage (a well made but standard latter day bruce willis thriller utterly elevated by Ben Foster's villain, who sadly isn't the focus)

When he's the lead, he's real good, but he doesn't need to be to make a huge impact and elevate the film he's in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I dunno why people think anyone wants to read a book about how they're a shithead.

Chopper Reed was a cultural icon for years in Australia. Then again, i'm not sure we're actually a real country.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

The story was a lot better when it was all a big joke about a dude going on a revenge murder spree because his dog was killed.

Then it went entirely up its own rear end with nonsensical secret assassin fantasy world building and completely lost the plot. Itís just mediocre action porn thatís already been done better in other, better, movies, in some instances directly ripping them off I.e. The Villainess.

And after 3 itís clear Keanuís getting up in age and losing a step. Watching dudes run into frame and get judo thrown to death is just tiring.

The villainess did not do it better. It's more ambitious in its fight scenes, certainly, but its also a film whose reach exceeds its grasp.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

man, westworld was so promising.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What was the twist that was re-written? Goons repeat this over and over, but if you actually follow Westworld on Reddit, they all talk about it being a joke Nolan made in an interview. But if you know better, do tell, what was the twist they guessed?

my personal theory is that the bernard that's been guiding the corporations team in the present was a plant (there's a very quick scene where delores has him in VR, and is coaching him to be better at being himself) and that's what was thrown out. I'm pretty sure the whole 'two weeks later' thing never pays off at all.

It's such a well made bad show, it's genuinely impressive.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

There seems to be a rule that almost any drama that comes roaring out of the gate with a white-hot first season that's super intense and relevant and gets everyone talking will, inevitably, collapse in the second.

Like it kinda makes sense, you don't know making a show if you even will get a second season, so you put all your best stuff in season one, there's no point holding back. You're living week to week. But then you get renewed and you get to tell the rest of the story and, uh, wait, what did we have for that?

Whereas a lot of shows that had a difficult first season but somehow got good enough ratings to stay around end up finding their feet.

(And then there's stuff like Mad Men, which is built less on Shocking Dramatic Revelations and is more of a slow burn. It caught people's attention from the start but it didn't front-load itself.)

I think it's also the writers not quite understanding why their stuff worked. The twist in the first season only worked because the set ups were clear and made sense. That's why the rug being pulled out is so impactful. Because these well acted, clearly drawn characters are clearly heading places, only they aren't. By contrast, the second season has a twist every five minutes, because the creators thought the twists of the first were the interesting part.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ed Harris gave one of my fav anecdotes of the 2nd season of Westworld: he (as a key antagonist) was told to ride horses alongside Evan Rachel Wood (a key protagonist) at some sand dunes, he asked "why, this makes no sense" and they told him "we'll figure it out later lol"

holy poo poo this makes so much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Ed Harris was miserable during seasons 2 and 3, I think.

I've seen season 2, so i can get that. It's not like there wasn't some fantastic, fertile ground to explore with him after his arc in season 1, but they just ignored all of it.