Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

From was reported, it was going to be more horror-oriented and potentially the MCU's first R-rated feature.

Getting Sam Raimi doesn't seem like it would dissuade this idea.

Kevin Feige however has denied this. And seeing as he still runs things, it's one reason Scott Derrickson is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The MCU is probably never going to go R now, simply because DC has staked that ground themselves, and positioning themselves as the family-friendly alternative to degenerate grimdark DC is the most obvious way to dunk their rival possible.

That said, any guess as to whether Marvel will actually listen to their female actors about that team-up movie now that Birds of Prey is released?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

First image of Henry Golding as silent ninja Snake Eyes.

Silent as in doesn't talk. He's also silent like a typical ninja.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm so glad Netflix finally post this clip to YouTube after Cats are in the news for the wrong reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKN1QvjFDc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I can see it BoP getting by on word of mouth and not having much competition this whole month other than Sonic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Based on the joker box office Maybe people hate women?

Another Wonder Woman this year will make mad money again.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Fans want it, but the movie was released just as Disney was buying Fox. It put a damper on everything because all the decision makers changed about its future. It'd be great, but Cameron would have to get involved again and he's doing the Avatar movies.

Wait until Avatar 2 makes billions, then Cameron can say "more Alita or no more Avatar".

I hope Avatar 2 makes billions if that's the case.

Edit:
Hey, Roger Deakins won an Oscar!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think it was the trailer. The trailer made it look absolutely awful. Combine that with DC's history of terrible films and I think people have just stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt.

My friends go to watch all the comic book films at the cinema and the trailer made them skip this one. And these are people who went to see Suicide Squad.

This is pretty crazy to me since the last 3 major movies with DC characters in them were widely regarded as good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

90+ minutes of Harley Quinn sounds like a nightmare.

You are clearly not Bruce Timm.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I wonder if WB are hedging their bets against him in case the sex pest rumors turn out to be true. I think all the DCU stuff he was involved in either got shelved or heavily re-tooled to conveniently not involve him.

I wonder if they're scrambling to replace both Amber Heard and Johhny Depp (in Fantastic Beasts)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aladdin 2

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Like honestly it was never going to be better than “sonic with a human girlfriend” territory

That gf is James marsden

The entire movie is a dream and Marsden is actually forgotten Sega marketing character Niles Nemo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Billie Eilish's Bond song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oAAlssVwEw

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Clowner posted:

I mean I like it but... Ugh. Remember when bond songs used to be fun? Remember Live and Let Die? You Only Live Twice? Hell, You Know My Name?

The song for Spectre appear to match the movie's story of Bond basically being at the lowest point of his life and ended with him quitting. I am certain the new movie will be likewise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rick posted:

Sonic movie was not bad, but so many of those trailers were a whole mess of "Who Greenlit this?" What stands out most is the Scooby Doo reboot. I guess I didn't even like Scooby Doo when I was a kid but drat is that trailer terrible and long and do they really think that what is missing from that show was faux-sentimentality? Also the new Minions movie looks loving awful but I know why they greenlit that, because people are idiots, but it's going to suck when like half the Olympics commercials are for either Mike Bloomberg or Minions 3.

Have you seen Bloomberg's campaign? You will get Bloomberg ads featuring Minions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Most reviews seems to indicate that Sonic is the 'okay' movie, that is mostly a vehicle for Jim Carrey to be gloriously Riddler/Ace Ventura zany again.

One review I heard says that it's the kind of movie you will love as a kid but probably more meh about it later as an adult. And probably love again after that once it gets mined for memes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

From the man who gave us Night Watch and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 3D,

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The decision to rename it "Green Room 2: Grizzly Attack" was also shot down.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Wait, there was a planned sequel to the jaws knock off with a Bear that ended with them firing a rocket launcher at a bear? How does that get topped

The new grizzly bear is actually here to protect the teenage son of the first movie's bear victim from a more advanced bear.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The only Sonic lore I care about is Tails Gets Trolled.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kevin Smith named his daughter Harley Quinn, that is all you need to know about him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Loss Lines will be eternal.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

There were a number of Greek philosophers who thought that the gods were just exaggerated memories of actual kings who had lived in the past.

Which the early Christians then used to justify that Greek religion was false and their religion was indeed the true religion.

Edit: Adrienne Mayor's "The First Fossil Hunters" is a good book on how classic peoples dealt with ideas like fossils, extinction, and evolution before the advent of modern science.

There are people now who think that Socrates denied the divinity of Greek gods because he was a messenger for the Abrahamic God like Jesus and Muhammad.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Evans has performance surpassing even that of him describing that babies taste the best.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is this a Gore Verbinski movie?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Indiana Jones and The Bathwater of Belle

A 100-year old Indiana who can barely move is called on for one last time when he must find a crucial piece of computer code hidden inside a virtual world he must 'jack' himself into. The entire movie will be CGI and Harrison Ford can just provide the voice for Indiana this time.

In other news,

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Bay or someone else has talked about how car companies would fall over themselves to get their cars in the movies but only to 'play' Autobots.

Somehow he managed to get Lamborghini and Mercedes to make their live action Transformers debut as villains, although they both appear in later movies as Autobot characters too.

I am still freaked out but also amused that Starscream, an F22, is officially licensed by Lockheed-Martin. However, it seems they might have an issue with Boeing because while Blitzwing is a Phantom in Bumblebee, his official toy looks nothing like one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The movie version of Barricade became so popular it completely overshadowed the original 1980s version of the character, which even most hardcore Transformers fan barely care about.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Could be that toy rights are a separate thing to negotiate from movie appearance rights, (similar to the likeness rights for actors) and/or the toy designers don't really give a poo poo about accuracy when it comes to fiddly things like planes.

They did manage to make a fairly accurate toy of Shatter, who transforms into a harrier jet, despite her robot mode also having visible car parts (she also transforms into muscle car in the movie although the toy does not).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hitman: Blood Money had a level set on a river cruise.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And point, though depends; maybe they already had a Harrier mould sitting around from a previous toyline. (They also do that a lot)

It's an original mold though, but I haven't seen the box yet so I don't know if they officially licensed it.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 28, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

There's so much booze being handed out that it's really easy for someone to get too drunk and fall off the boat. That's why you can get away with murder, you just say they went out on a bender and never came back to their cabin.

Also, cruise ships are filthy loving places that some blood will probably be overlooked.

If you want a full list of why cruise ships are terrible, including why they're the best place for committing crimes, just watch this episode of Patriot Act.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nCT8h8gO1g

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Found Overlord (2018, JJ Abrams) in my library the other day, sat down to watch it this morning. Given that it's Abrams, there's a fair few problems here (only one female character with a speaking role and she of course gets sexually assaulted, politically correct history with race-integrated US army units in WW2), but beyond that this is a pretty decent Weird War Two action flick, rather a lot like an old-school Wolfenstein game on the big screen as American paratroopers stumble into Nazi super soldier zombies. It's a dark, chaotic, violent movie with lots of body horror that sets the tone well in the first five minutes. Despite the problems, a pretty enjoyable movie that I'm surprised I'd never heard of.

My headcanon is that the US military in the film's world was desegregated because the Union needed extra soldiers after the Confederates, like the Nazis in the movie, found an elder god corpse they mined for its blood.

Which is to say the movie is also the closest thing we have to a Bloodborne adaptation.

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Late period" meaning everything after Tom Yum Goong.

He was pretty good in Furious 7.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Is that where they were getting the blood from? I didnt think they alluded why it just happened to be under the church.

They never said what substance the Nazis were mining, but it does sound a lot like the backstory for Bloodborne.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What the gently caress is even going on with Picard, man, it's like they used Patrick Stewart as an in to make a weird B-tier farscape/cowboy bebop/lexx pastiche while rapidly running away from anything star trek related and I'm not sure how to take it.

Basically the Dominion War and a Borg attack on Mars hosed up the Federation into becoming post-9/11 America.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I had somehow completely forgotten about Madonna's "Die Another Day" song and now I can't get it out of my loving head.

I guess I'll die another day
Sigmund Freud
Analyze this
Analyze this
Analyze this
Analyze this
Analyze this
Analyze this

The irony is this song was the only actual hit from her American Life album.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Joss Whedon of video games?

Pretty much, including the performative wokeness. Shame, because then you get videos like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKnrbjdDYd4

In other news, Obama.