Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Cinescore has very little, if anything, to do with the quality of a film. It is for the predicted financial success of a movie and measures how well the movie lined up with its own marketing first, then quality afterwards. Mother! was advertised as a straight up horror movie and trailer spots were attached to pop-horror movies such as It. When opening weekend audiences saw the movie and learned it was more of an art film than a scary ghost movie they rejected it. Killing them Softly is another example of the marketing/audience expectations not jiving with the movies content. Moviegoers expected an intimate look into the recording of a mid-90s R&B hit but got a quiet, slow-paced crime thriller instead.

When a movie doesn’t live up to or subverts the audience expectation it usually translates to poor word of mouth and lower box office returns, despite whether the movie receives critical praise or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The only Doolittle movie I want to see is one about the making of the original. It would be great if the writers of Ed Wood/My Name is Dolemite tackled this.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

married but discreet posted:

Could lead to an increase in animated movies, perhaps some weird stuff with everyone stuck at home.

I expect we’ll see sequels to Unfriended and Searching.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Mark my words. Disney+ marvel Saturday morning cartoons coming

X-men is already on there, at least in Canada.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I'd be interested in seeing numbers for The Hunt because that might be the best barometer for the success of VOD. It was briefly in theatres before the pandemic, and horror movie box office returns tend to be front-loaded. It brought in $5.8 million during its theatrical run and based on its reception I would expect it would have made about $12-16 million overall. If it could meet or exceed this then it would indicate that viewing habits are changing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Godzilla 98 also had the Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page some Come With Me, which everyone secretly likes.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The DC cinematic universe having multiple reboots/reimaginings is the most DC comic book poo poo ever.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The big complaints about the Star wars movies is that there’s not enough of them and they’re too easy to follow.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I wonder if Cline will be mandated to stick to WB owned properties since they make the films.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Now that Tenet is delayed indefinitely I’m not sure theaters will even be open by September 1st. They’re either gonna follow Bill and Ted 3’s model and open just a week or two later, or if Nolan is really THAT stubborn about a theatrical release then B&T3 won’t even have theaters to open at. The vast majority of chains seem to be depending on Tenet as the catalyst for reopening, I know my local indie theater had a reopening planned that they cancelled just yesterday because of the Tenet news.

I'm in Canada and some theatres have reopened with social distancing but it's pretty much only repertory screenings or releases from earlier in 2020. I'm not sure how successful this model can be without anything new to support it. I hope that studios will start releasing movies in international markets but I know that with Tenet they don't want to do that because of spoilers leaking.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

It costs a family of four about $50 to go see a movie and that’s without snacks factored in. $30 is a great deal compared to that. Plus there’s a whole level of convenience to watching it at home.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Did you know that Star Wars was filmed entirely on earth?

That’s only because earth has better tax incentives than other planets.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

HIMYM’s finale was so bad that it killed any residual interest in the show and that’s why it’s not even airing in syndication now.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Here are the things I like in horror movies, ranked in order of importance:

1) Cool practical effects
2) Monsters
3) Compelling themes
4) Everything else

Sure, a digital column of voxels might be interesting in a thematic way. But it's no practical eyeball monster.

Mine are:

1) cheerful songs but sung slowly by children
2) Jump scares
3) Frankenstein monsters
4) endless sequels

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Lobok posted:

"Unfortunately medals are not awarded post-humously so, while he did throw the javelin farther than the other athletes, he was disqualified after it went all the way around and impaled him in the back."

Yeah but imagine the high jump event.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Given that dinosaurs are basically giant chickens I can only imagine that they also taste like chickens. Giant delicious buffalo wings.

Sounds like something from the flintstones.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Sorry not watching any lion kings until they release the butthole cut.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

ASM2 wasn’t very good but Foxx was fine as Electro and his inner monologue being expressed through dubstep was memorable.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is basically accurate to comics Hal Jordan and I wonder how much you can blame on Geoff Johns. He never could get enough of the bland white guys he grew up with.

When I was a kid Hal was always a boring old guy with grey temples. He would have the occasional spat with the Guardians but Hal was ultimately the conservative older guy to Ollie’s ideal liberal. After he got replaced by Kyle Rayner the Hal fans all of a sudden declared that Hal was a cool rebel who played by his own rules and had sex with a lot of chicks and that’s the characterization that ended up sticking once Johns started writing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

The only time Hal Jordan was cool was when he went nuts and became Parallax. Otherwise he's the worst Green Lantern and a shinning example that Geoff Johns has no loving taste.

Oh I’m not disagreeing with you at all. Rebirth Hal is a fan-fic Poochie.