Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Iron Crowned posted:

Also I think James Cameron is the only one who still does 3D, the world has moved away from it once again.

Which is fine because there really hasn’t been anyone that did it as well as he did. The story was trite but Avatar is still a spectacle because it used 3D to make the movie have a depth of field instead of just some action pieces pop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh, Charlie Heston is supposed to be Cannonball? His power set seems to have changed a little.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

Speaking of terrible movies sure to be a hit:

https://youtu.be/jLMBLuGJTsA

No palm suckers, Jared Leto, no "I NEED MORE PLASMA!", Jared Leto, horrible butchery of Beethoven's legacy and Jared Leto. 0 stars, will avoid.

Didn’t he just have palm suckers in the cartoon since he wasn’t allowed to do the whole vampire thing?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

comic Morbius is mostly one of two things. on one end, if you're doing a dark and serious Spidey story, you pretty much either pull him, Kraven, or the symbiotes as the villain. on the other end, he's a route to Frankencastle

Fixed this for you

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s got Michael sheen mugging it up as the villain doing just about everything but twirl his mustache

I just realized I’ve been reading this as Martin Sheen in every mention of the movie for the last month.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah it was definitely sold as a John Wick movie but I think if it had been sold more as a spy thriller, which is closer to what it was, it would have done better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lobok posted:

And one of the lawyers for the President of the United States supports lowering the age of consent.

Is that the one that married his first cousin?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

I'd greenlight this sitcom.

Why settle for sitcom? Make it a dark remake of It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Brother Entropy posted:

i wonder how much of it might be sony or naughty dog being too precious about how their very boring protagonist should and shouldn't be portrayed and that clashing with the rotating glass door of directors who want to do anything beyond what's been portrayed in the video games

in general, franchises like this or assassin's creed kinda have an uphill battle in actually making a good, novel movie when the stories and characters are real formulaic and the fun involved was that you get to interact with the setpiece action scenes

The majority of it is probably scheduling. The movie’s 6 directors go back 7-8 years. This one definitely is, the director had already threatened to walk if he couldn’t begin shooting soon. Then the Sony/Marvel deal went back into effect and Holland got tied up with the new Spider-Man. The delay in announcing is probably sorting out the legalese of Sony and the director coming a mutual agreement on terminating the contract.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Every studio used to constantly released their old movies. It's why Gone With the Wind has the highest adjusted box office, it was released something like 37 times. Before vhs became so ubiquitous in the 80s it was the only way for people to rewatch old movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It wasn't a mass killing, The Hunted was the one where QAnon is true and liberals are secretly kidnapping Trump supporters to hunt them for sport.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think future people would probably still understand the concept of fiction tbh

Yeah but that doesn't mean certain things won't eventually take on religious importance. You can find a lot of people that take stuff invented for The Divine Comedy or Paradise Lost as actual dogma.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

They never said what substance the Nazis were mining, but it does sound a lot like the backstory for Bloodborne.

They did, it was tar they found under the church. But it wasn't usable until they marinated a human in the tar for a few days and then drained the blood out of the person.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't Ian McKellen known for going on Bryan Singer's infamous boat parties?

That's the rumor, though it's not like the behaviour is mutually exclusive. Predators never see themselves as harmful, particularly among the gay community where an older man taking a young man under his wing to introduce him to the scene was prevalent for so long. Moving away from the acceptance of that dynamic is a big struggle in a lot of communities to this day.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

John wick has that weird undercurrent of secret societies operating in plain sight since the general almost kinda knows what’s up but keeps their head down which begs some interesting questions

Is this some post federal government collapse America run by libertarian interests?

Possibly, there was a homeless man that hung out around my college since a lot of students had a habit of giving him a few bucks or buying him a sandwich when they saw him. There was also a rumor that he was secretly wealthy and either insane or just had nothing better to do. Everyone I knew that perpetuated the rumor also attended objectivist or libertarian meetings. I always assumed the rumor was their way soothing a guilty conscience about never doing anything to help him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I'd expect to see this for more movies that haven't entered their final marketing cycle yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

That story I was talking about also had Dracula's plans be undone by him being an arrogant rear end in a top hat to Doctor Doom in the story's opening scene (because Doom, who sees himself as better than everyone, thought Dracula's xenophobia was pathetic).

That's the one where he fires vampire filled torpedoes at the UK from his moon base, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ruddiger posted:

Have you seen the documentary At The Drive-In? It’s about one specific PA drive-in, I forgot it’s name but it’s a pretty good little doc.

Mahoning Valley Drive-In, right outside Jim Thorpe. Best known as the town named after a football player who never stepped foot in the state before his death.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The various industry groups should just buy an island that would be entirely dedicated to film/television production where everyone coming in is subject to testing for the virus. Everything produced on the island would be 60's to 80's BBC quality but it would be fine.

They just have to be aired for a week in NY or LA before Dec 15th, right? I'm sure more Hollywood people than just Tarantino own theaters and if they don't I'm sure some producer will buy a megaplex and fill it with his companies movies for a week or two, do a bunch of 'private screenings' .

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

The seal has been broken. The Kumail Nanjiani/Issa Rae movie The Lovebirds which was supposed to come out on April 3rd will now completely skip theaters and instead premiere on Netflix.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/the-lovebirds-netflix-debut-coronavirus-paramount-1202842883/

I hope the people behind Extra Ordinary decide to do the same, was really hoping to see that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My wife got to choose the movie last night and went with 'The Last Thing He Wanted' on Netflix. Jesus it was terrible, Anne Hathaway under mastectomy makeup, Alcohol Bender Bloat Ben Affleck and Criminally Underused Willem Dafoe. The description said it was based on the book, so I thought it was some biopic style movie about the Sandanistas, but apparently it was written as a airport gift store knockoff Danielle Steele.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shageletic posted:

Michael Moorcock is one of my fav authors, and absolutely psyched to see he had awesome politics as well.

Google Epic Pooh, the only online version I could find was a download. Buts Moorcock ripping apart Tolkein's cryptofacism for 13 pages.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HannibalBarca posted:

Years of Rice and Salt is one of my favorite books ever and yes it is completely bonkers

Yeah, I think it's due for a re-listen after I finish up Clavell's Asian Saga.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jerkface posted:

Does anyone know if The Green Knight is going to be released to streaming or if its been delayed to next year? I am really looking forward to it and am bummed if it gets pushed to 2021.

The movie still has a release date of 5/29 so far so the studio is probably banking on life going on as normal by then.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

C'mon, y'all:

From the sounds of it, could've been rad. And the art is fantastic, even if the quasi-Moebius style wouldn't have made it to air. Apparently they wanted to make it a prime-time thing rather than a kids show. There's a trailer out there somewhere, but it probably won't ever be released and may be lost. But apparently the series was never a real possibility because Spielberg was too burnt out on JP merchandising to consider a show.

This just makes me sad again that Burton didn't follow up Mars Attacks! with Dinosaurs Attack!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

This whole trailer is just Tom Hardy squinting

The last third of the movie better be Tom Hardy drooling and fishing in his own swimming pool screaming at invisible fish for not biting.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

Either way, a 20 year old is going to look at the trailer and think "Why would I want to watch this?" and compare it to whatever mediocre movie The Rock is making GBS threads out this month. And then they're going to go to that instead, because they know and like The Rock and they don't give a poo poo about a guy running around in green cloth in a world they don't have any connection to or interest in and probably only know about because of that English class they didn't pay much attention in.

e: That being said, please please please someone make a proper 1930s Doc Savage movie. It won't make money but I promise to never shut up about it for years after its release.

I, uh, have some interesting news for you.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

He was successful enough in the show that he was able to get a TV show.

So was the comedian that Jerry thought was terrible. I think they were making fun of the Networks throwing TV shows at every comedian they could.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

So there's this guy who's an immigrant in 1920s America and he falls in a vat of pickles and wakes up 100 years later. Funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

God, he's going to do that awful old Jewish man voice the entire time isn't he.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, it's basically Buffy the Vampire Slayer but on a space colony run by corporate dystopia.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Flying Zamboni posted:

Give Denis Leary and Stallone 120 minutes to complain about the future society as a thinly veiled critique of millennials. Expect a hack joke about safe spaces.

Also expect that joke to be told in a specialized area where they are free to voice their problems without repercussions, without the slightest bit of self awareness.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn't it confirmed ages ago when they announced they were going forward with it without Max Landis?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Rat King from James Clavell is also a good read, it's a fictionalized account of the author's time in Changi, the most infamous of Japan's POW camps. It even touches on some topics that could explain the sugarcoating Pierre Boulle gave Japan's labor camps. When Changi is liberated by American and British forces there's no small amount of disdain from the British for the prisoners for allowing themselves to 'go native' and even the compassionate ones feel patronizing. This is probably more in their heads do the author's psychological trauma of spending four years in a pow camp.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Please explain.

Josh Trank listened to all the people that keep pointing out that Capone didn't actually die in prison but as a free man in a palatial estate as his mind rotted from syphilis, and made a movie solely about that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This is the guy who thought Pocahontas was a surefire hit over The Lion King.

That's the kind of decision-making process going on here.

He also got verbally abusive towards a bunch of animators working on The Black Cauldron because he didn't understand you don't edit an animated movie the same way as a film.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rochallor posted:

Technology is constantly improving, but of the few big instances I can think of--younger RDJ in Iron Man, Peter Cushing in Rogue One, and horrific approximation of Robert de Nero in The Irishman--only RDJ isn't terrifying. And in that case they're trying to make a 50 year old look 20, which is a lot easier, I expect, than 70 to 20. And apparently movies have been doing similar deaging to actors for a while now.

I can see a solid tech demo being released, maybe a bit part in a movie, but... Tarkin in Rogue One was painful to look at. Subtle digital deaging is here to stay and only getting better, but complete reanimation (pardon the pun) seems a lot further off. The 2029 movie starring John Wayne, Marlon Brando, and Judy Garland is going to make The Polar Express look natural and realistic.

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't RDJ mainly just splicing in footage of him from the 80s instead of an overlay like the others?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

As much as people talk about that scene, I think the follow up is so much better.

"We're leaving!"

That scene was ruined for me in a thread here maybe 10+ years ago. Goons were mixing BGM in movie clips around and changed the scene's screams to 'The Little Spanish Tree' just insanely ridiculous and I loved it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes Bryan Fuller. Read up on what happened to him with Star Trek Discovery.. He was also working on the Amazing Stories reboot for Apple TV and left that project.

I still wonder how much is true and how much is studio propaganda.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Blanchett likes taking on the weird projects. She did Lord of the Rings specifically to wear the ears.

She also likes taking props when she leaves, she took Mjolnir from Ragnarok and Evengelline Lilly's sword from the Hobbit movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You say that like one of the first things people use any tech advancement for isn't getting off.