Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Donald Kaufman: I’m putting in a chase sequence. So the killer flees on horseback with the girl, the cop’s after them on a motorcycle and it’s like a battle between motors and horses, like technology vs. horse.

Charlie Kaufman: And they’re still all one person, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
A rare instance of SMG getting caught off-guard

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

All three of these faces could be acceptable reactions to this news

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i enjoyed mandalorian season 2 but it's true, it definitely showed some of the same flaws as the sequels insofar as it was clearly a corporate vehicle. i will say that i thought the ice spider episode was really really good and a great creature feature. the one with timothy olyphant was pretty cool too. giancarlo esposito, sad to say, was totally phoning it in and just doing a complete retread of gus from breaking bad

the ahsoka episode was probably the worst and imo it suffered the most from wearing its kurosawa influences too heavily on its sleeve. if you're gonna shoot swordfights with dust blowing across the frame, do some fuckin camera pans!

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

The Klowner posted:

That would be a dream come true

... for Republicans. Oprah would be like the dem's version of trump

So, president?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Eh producing credits are like the least accountable thing ever. Ppl get producing credits for walking by a production. Coogler might have just been asked tl be credited in this thing.

I wonder if coogler just wanted to hang out with lebron. Cause honestly I respect that

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
How exactly does one become a professional Russian roulette player anyways

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Really missed their chance to retheme to Disney's America during the redesign like 10 years ago.

Although the inevitable Civil War area would've aged like my cousin's first kid.

stillbirth

i see somebody's never gone on the best ride at disneyland: great moments with mr lincoln

(it's air-conditioned and there's no line)

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Sucks that Caviezel is a dickhead since he’s actually a good actor. It’s not like Sorbo or Scott Baio where it’s not a real loss if they never work again.

I mean, if you look at his performance in Person of Interest, he's not exactly Daniel Day-Lewis. He's pretty good at growling "I have eyes on the target" though

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
(Libertarian)

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
how much studio meddling was there with tenet? cause it felt like it needed a lot more

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I watched Jaws earlier this year and it works brilliantly as an unintentional allegory for covid.

This came up in the discourse a while back, but is jaws really that much of a covid allegory? It shows political leaders downplaying a natural disaster with tragic results, but there is no widespread anti-science sentiment. The public thinks there is a shark and panics, then lets their guard down when they're told that the shark is gone, then panics again when the shark is still there. The second panic is so all-consuming that even the mayor himself is chastened and repentant afterwards. To me, the defining characteristic of the pandemic is the public division and the mainstreaming of anti-reality attitudes, which jaws
doesn't really feature

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Among other flaws, Tenet had a bunch of really baffling screenwriting decisions for a summer blockbuster; they're not really plot holes, but they're just very clumsy and contribute to confusion:

- Gold bars are featured in two completely different places in the plot (the airport heist and the bad guy's source of wealth). They are not related at all, there's just a lot of gold bars in this movie
- The macguffin was invented by a mysterious female scientist in the future who decided that the threat of time travel technology was too great, but we never see this scientist or learn anything more about her. At the beginning of the movie, we also meet a female scientist who warns about the dangers of time travel tech, but she is not the same scientist
- Rpats and John David Washington have their final, emotional conversation after the final battle with lots of important exposition and reveals, but for some reason they do so while shouting across an empty field 100 feet apart from each other

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Towards the end as it comes together more they talk about how there's no one single action or event they can trigger that instantly saves the future, and so instead they have to send back and forth these various small hints and bits of stuff/insight for people in our time to gradually figure out. And towards the end you get the impression that you have to keep sending further to compensate for that and keep steering humanity towards not destroying everything. Like it was kind of sort of maybe implying that the the tenet/sator square in ye olden times were the earliest hints from the future. :mindblown:

Did they actually imply this? How would this even work? You travel backwards in real time so presumably you couldn't go back any farther than 80 years or so from your starting point because you'd die of old age. Plus you'd need inverted oxygen (and presumably inverted food and inverted water) the entire time.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
mr t ate my balls

https://web.archive.org/web/19981202133702/http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~nkpatel/mr.t/

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

To this day I still cannot believe that the guy who wrote The Martian is the same dude who wrote this.

Wait what

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I rewatched equilibrium when I was really baked recently and I forgot that a major action sequence revolves around a puppy. Actually the whole scene where Christian bale is trying to keep the cops from seeing the puppy in his trunk is actually pretty tense and well-done. I think the puppy subsequently disappears from the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Also, like, the whole point of the book is that the bombing of Dresden was bad and messed up. If you think that's pro-Nazi, then okay, but the book's argument doesn't hinge on the precise casualty counts.