Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think this is the exact sort of thing that would let something like Cats get greenlit so hell, let's see what this baby does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Clowner posted:

I had a similar idea to quibi before I found out about it, except it involved the idea of "prestige" content, i.e. video essays and "serious" short films, and you subscribed to specific creators and not the service itself. Kind of like patreon/Kickstarter for short films. Also involved poaching creators from YouTube.

Now that I think about it, there might have been something like that a few years ago actually and I just completely forgot it existed. I remember them having a big old gently caress YouTube campaign and a lot of YouTube creators making think pieces in why they sucked

Something kinda like that does exist but damned if I can remember the name.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If the Snyder cut ushers in a flood of director's cuts then frankly that'd be badass as hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

There was a guy at io9, one of the biggest "nerd news" sites and also one whose editorial line is strongly pro-Disney and anti-DC/Snyder, who mentioned a few years ago that he liked Batman v Superman but wasn't allowed to write about liking it.

Happen to have any citation for that? I believe it since io9 generally sucks, but it would be nice to have a link handy to show to pals that don't believe it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The Snyder fanbase has a toxic online contingent, one thats fairly gamergate-adjacent, but most nerd fanbases have that.

TBH I haven't seen any marvel fans jump on someone as hard as that one lady on twitter got jumped on for making fun of him using "Hallelujah" in a JL trailer, so maybe the Snyder fans are more "cult of personality"-ish? I try to avoid "fan" culture though so I may have missed something.

There were a lot of marvel fans that went absolutely apeshit when Scorsese said he didn't like marvel movies and they sure jumped on people who defended his take.

I feel like it's a futile exercise to suss out what the worst fanbase is. lovely people will find whatever excuse they can get their hands on to act lovely towards others.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I really do try not to get into fanbase crap, but the reason the twitter lady (I don't know her name) stood out to me is she's a nobody. Scorsese (who is right) is a renowned public figure making a public statement. Casting decisions are publicly broadcast on a wide variety of different outlets. In both cases, every gross shithead with an axe to grind knows about it. The twitter lady made exasperated/dismissive noises about a song choice in a trailer and spent two weeks getting death threats and doxx attempts. That feels different to me.

Also, lol if you aren't completely certain the brick thrown through the Avengers reviewers window had a Disney logo on it.

What I meant was that there were a bunch of nobodies out there who said that Scorsese was right, and those nobodies got a lot of poo poo for it. It was spread out over a lot of people for sure so it's a different case than the shittiest parts of the internet hyperfocusing on one person, but both situations are pretty awful!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Milo being in it sure shows that cancel culture ain't real, eh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

WB probably asked Nolan to direct one of their brand crossover movies and he noped out.

Nah, dude had free reign to do whatever project he felt like. I feel it's more likely that he got real salty about the way the Tenet release was handled.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

it is extremely funny that all of the eternals promo is the same hideous shot of ten people wearing costumes standing in a line in a field somewhere and they expect us to give a poo poo. and lots of people obviously do!

Yea it definitely feels like they're counting on it being the new Marvel movie as a selling point. The trailers have been boring as hell. But I guess for a lot of people all they really need to know is that it's the next Marvel movie.

Admittedly I generally don't like Marvel movies but at least I can see something like the Shang-Chi trailer and get why there were folks excited for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Do medieval period dramas usually make big bucks? I can't really imagine The Last Duel being a blockbuster hit in any circumstance.

Sometimes they do, and the last several that Ridley Scott made wound up doing pretty well at the box office. Honestly if The Last Duel came out pre-covid I'd bet on it making its money back and then some, but as it is it's his first flop in quite some time.

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 23, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I think on a fundamental level a film about a violent murdering severely mentally ill guy portrayed sympathetically even though he's traditionally and iconically portrayed as one of the most amoral psychopaths in pop culture as a criticism of capitalism and mental health care that ends with a violent uprising inspired by him that people then compare to a period of political protest is gonna result in a lot of confused and mixed messaging and interpretation.

Its a compelling character piece but its kind of all over the place.

heck it gets even more mixed up because, as far as I can remember, literally every death in the movie (even the ones he had no direct involvement with) happened to someone who he felt had personally wronged him on some level

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

My take on Joker is that it was a good movie but Joaquin Phoenix should have won an Oscar for You Were Never Really Here instead. His performance was a lot more nuanced

This year he was great in C'mon C'mon but since Joker was so recent he probably ain't even getting an Oscar nom for that. A shame!

joylessdivision posted:

Joker was just "King of Comedy" with a coat of DC comics paint on it.

It was fine, but it's just slapping the joker into a remake of a better movie.

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah it’s that same kind of “I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymore” murder spree angry man thing that pops up a lot and tends to draw in a lot of problematic people and stuff. And mix that with political points and the loving Joker. It’s a mess and I’m not sure anyone who took misogynistic or incel rage or whatever from it was really wrong. I mean the guys key trigger is stalking a woman and murdering his mom.. So yeah the other stuff is clearly there but maybe that stuff is too.

One of the more fascinating things about the movie to me is that it's so mixed in that regard that for a lot of folks it functions as a Rorschach test of sorts.

Shageletic posted:

I hated on that trailer in the trailer thread (that's the black and white movie right), did it turn out to actually be a good movie?

I found it to be pretty good. Looking at that trailer I feel like it does the movie a disservice without the context behind those scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I haven't seen too many egregious stuff in the theater this year though I have been avoiding crowded showings by primarily going on weekdays. The worst I've seen was, while watching House of Gucci, there was a young man in the front row who was on his phone for literally the entire movie. Ridley Scott was right.