Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

istewart posted:

Doctor Strange is one of the few movies for which I ended up happy I paid the 3D premium. Visually, at least, I felt it was the most original and distinctive of the Marvel movies.

I can appreciate the criticisms of plot, pacing, and characterization, though. Strange's arc is pretty much a carbon copy of Iron Man's. I have to imagine they plan on slotting in Cumberbatch as quipper-in-chief for their next "saga" now that Downey Jr. is out, and they want to protect that status at all costs. Here's hoping they don't manage to surpass ST: Into Darkness as the benchmark for utterly wasting the dude's talent.

These are pretty much my thoughts as well, but I'll add that there were a few clever bits they did that I still really like; namely how they end up dealing with the main villain at the end. I wish there was more stuff like that in the MCU, have someone who beats the bad guys with trickery and guile instead of punching a blue laser into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Whats Disney going to do when they run out of Animated Canon stuff to remake into live action? They've already crossed most of the big ones off their list. There's Little Mermaid (which is already in development apparently), Great Mouse Detective and Sleeping Beauty, and those are the only ones that really come to mind off the top of my head. Unless they start delving into the stuff that nobody remembers or likes (look forward to the LA Black Cauldron remake in 2026!) then it doesn't seem like there's much room left for them to keep pushing this poo poo.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Len posted:

I feel like most of the Disney Princesses haven't been in live action movies yet

Those are just the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a bunch I missed, but I honestly don't know or care much about a lot of the stuff Disney put out back in the day and I have a feeling that a lot of the demographic they're targeting with this stuff is in the same boat. These live action remakes are pretty much pure nostalgia vehicles and the return on investment isn't very high for something barely anyone remembers.

Edit: While I was typing that I actually thought "Oh wait, they haven't done Alice in Wonderland yet"; and then I remembered "Oh wait, no they did! It even got a sequel!".

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 25, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Len posted:

Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are still on a poo poo load of merchandise though

The 90s still leaves us with Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and if they're really desperate Tarzan.

They could probably do a live action Nightmare Before Christmas that could be just trash and still bring in a billion+

I forgot about Snow White, yeah that is a big one.

I thought they already did Sleeping Beauty though; I guess I got that mixed up with the Maleficent films, which are also a thing Disney is doing.

I can't really see them doing Pocahontas though, since that's just one big waiting to happen.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 25, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It doesn't matter if the game story is worth telling or not. The movie is still an adaptation of that game's story, and still has to vaguely resemble it. You get the story the writer and or director wanted to tell awkwardly combined with the story of the original game.

I think a big part of this is that, until fairly recently (like in the last 15-20 years or so, if that) most video games didn't have a plot, or even a "plot", but rather "something that can be vaguely defined as an outline". There were always exceptions of course (Planescape: Torment, a bunch of adventure games, etc) but Hollywood was only interested in adapting the big name games of the time, so in most cases the director was basically being told to somehow turn 3 paragraphs of text and a bunch of 2-D sprites into a feature film.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when Wing Commander was the most faithful and best adaptation of a VG property? Remember?

You mean Mortal Kombat, right?

Well, most successful at least. $122.1 million on an $18 million budget. Also while I was looking that up I found out they're working on a new Mortal Kombat film for 2021.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The Doom novels are loving weird. IIRC the first few are fairly faithful adaptations of the games (well, as faithful any adaptation of the < 10 paragraphs of plot the original DOOM had can be). The stuff Groovelord Neato's describing doesn't really kick in until after they ran out of games to adapt and they just started making up their own crazy poo poo from scratch.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

F10: The Speed Force

It's actually a stealth-marketing campaign for the DCU Flash movie.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not really sure who Birds of Prey was supposed to appeal to. I want there to be more movies about female superheroes and the most I could muster was 'I'll watch it when it comes out on streaming, maybe'

I think Suicide Squad left a pretty bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and this seems to be billing itself as essentially more of that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They didn't even throw Jared Leto a bone for this one. I find it hilarious that everybody has already forgotten that he played the Joker a few years ago.

I wonder if WB are hedging their bets against him in case the sex pest rumors turn out to be true. I think all the DCU stuff he was involved in either got shelved or heavily re-tooled to conveniently not involve him.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

muscles like this! posted:

Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with him seeing as he's headlining a Marvel movie for them.

Is Morbius very popular in the comics? Him getting his own solo movie always seemed weird to me, but I only know about him from his appearance in the 1994 Spider-Man show.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh I agree, I just find it amazing because the movie only came out three years ago. It's the latest example of that slippery poo poo trying way too hard in a role and nobody giving a gently caress.

I remembered the other day that he was in Blade Runner 2049, that just completely slipped my mind. I guess its a role that plays to his strengths (being a creepy rear end in a top hat) but for whatever reason I thought Wallace was played by Keanu Reeves instead.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

hemale in pain posted:

Yes!YES!YES!!!

wait isn't rutger hauer dead?

Don't worry, they can just replace him with a CGI duplicate.

A replicant, if you will.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Alhazred posted:

Atlantis and king Arthur was written as fiction and today some people believe they are historical facts.

Atlantis is especially funny because the original story was basically just a thought experiment by Plato about what the ideal society would be like and it culminates in them getting dunked on by Super Athens.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Since we're on the topic of David Cage, I highly recommend looking up an LP, any LP, of Omikron: The Nomad Soul. I guarantee there is like a > 80% chance that whoever is playing it goes insane by the time they get to the second map.

I have never seen a game evoke such a... visceral response so consistently. It's pretty obvious why every David Cage game after that never again tried to be more complex than walking around with the occasional quick time event.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked Omikron for what it was, or at least what it aspired to be. That said it tries to be a lot of things. Adventure game, RPG, shooter, and fighting game. With the latter two suffering the most from it trying to do too much. I've never actually finished the game.

Yeah I'm in the same boat honestly; I have to admire the ambition and audacity that must have gone in to making something like that, even if the end product leaves, uh, something to be desired.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The MSJ posted:

The Marvel comics Dracula was once ironically written as a racist Islamophobe and wants to protect Europe from the threat of immigration from the Middle East. He ended up getting killed by a Muslim immigrant superhero.

Was this the same Marvel comics Dracula that gave us Blade, and also Dracula, Sovereign of the Damned?

Edit: Removed the url because it was loving with the Awful App, but Chip and Ironicus did an MST3K style riff on it years ago and you can find it on Internet Archive.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 14, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There are a lot more Ender books than Harry Potter books though? I have no idea what they intended but if it was wildly successful they'd have had a lot of directions to go.

The Ender series really goes off the rails after a while. I guess you could still adapt it, but you would probably have to take some, uh, "creative" liberties with the stuff OSC stuffed into the more recent novels.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Children of the Mind was the biggest, wettest fart completely independent of the awful socio-political content, which also made it bad.

I was also including the Shadow novels in that statement, which are set in the same universe with the same characters shown from different viewpoints. IIRC, the last novel reveals that the aliens from Enders Game were evil after all because they turned all the males of their race into zombie drones or something along those lines.

Casimir Radon posted:

Also Card is a homophobic whackjob who got his brain further screwed around by 9/11.

OSC just makes me sad because I legit like Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead, but so much of what he's said and done over the years just makes my skin crawl. He's like the novelist equivalent of Frank Miller at this point.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

You could make an argument that Twilight or Harry Potter or really any movie(s) based on an existing novel are glorified book commercials.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 5, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

nonathlon posted:

That was the part that really, really got to me: if only we could explain things to old timey, less progressive people really carefully, they'd be as enlightened as us. Like a massive "well actually" across timestreams.

If I had the power to travel through time, the first thing I would do is hit up Jesus and tell him "yo, your followers really gently caress things up down the line."

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jurassic World 3 Lego set spoilers:

The dinosaurs rose from the ashes of nuclear fire. Their war to eat mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in this movie. It would be fought over there, in the sequel.

Delayed until 2021...

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Alan Smithee posted:

Jurassic Gear?!

But Metal Gear REX already exists?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Casimir Radon posted:

It's a miracle that Jurassic Park never got a cartoon. Around the time it would have come out there were Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb and Dumber cartoons all airing during the same season.

Pretty sure there was also one for the 1998 Godzilla movie of all things.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

galagazombie posted:

And after TMNT Power Rangers had producers salivating to buy the rights to a Japanese Toku show to splice with footage of American actors.

To this day I still have trouble accepting that Big Bad Beetleborgs actually existed and wasn't just some weird half-remembered fever dream I had when I was a kid.

Alan Smithee posted:

I watched the beatlejuice cartoon growing up well before I saw te movie as an adult

man that movie had some creepy poo poo in it

This, but for Starship Troopers. Man that was an experience.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 11, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The main problem with G14 isn't the monsters or how they're portrayed, its the cliches and wooden acting surrounding the films lead human actor bogging the whole thing down. There's some really great shots throughout the film but then they drag you back to like 15 minutes of Army Man mulling about and you start to get the impression that the movie thinks its a lot smarter than it really is.

Godzilla '98 is just nonsense. It did give us a nice cartoon series so I guess it has that going for it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Detective No. 27 posted:

People just automatically assume a hero character is "wooden" if they're not smugly quipping through danger.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of sick of smug quips after like 12+ years of Marvel Movies.

I feel like his character could have worked if he had someone else to play off of, someone who's not as experienced or put-together to emphasize his hardened military man traits. As it is I don't think his performance was strong enough to carry the movie on its own.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Doom 2016 was much better than Doom 2005 but personally I'll always be a fan of Doom 1993.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

That last act sounds like something straight out of a John Waters film.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Tom Cruise is already like 51% CGI, logically he should be able to survive the death of the remaining 49%.

Real Talk though, if someone ever figures out how to make a 100% believably human voice generation program then that is the loving death of actors. Why bother to pay anyone when we own your CGI likeness and can get Hatsune Miku to do your voiceover.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It also feels weirdly mild to take the "many Bothan spies died for this" line and turn it into a whole planet getting Death Star'd. The one-liner presents so much more intrigue than the blockbuster film generates.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years it is that nerds will endlessly obsess over the most inane details and random minutiae unless it is shown, explained and catalogued in excruciating detail. And the studios are more than happy to feed into that obsession if it means they get to milk an existing franchise for a little bit longer.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just don't see how he can blame the virus for the failure of a streaming service. The virus is the best thing to happen to streaming in its history.

This is the guy who thought Pocahontas was a surefire hit over The Lion King.

That's the kind of decision-making process going on here.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Flintstones seems like it would be pretty easy to retool for a modern audience since it was essentially built around the idea of slotting references to modern pop-culture into caveman era. Just stick Donald Trump in a loincloth, give him a punny name and your golden!

I think the real problem is that its an animated family sitcom from the 60's and even with modern pop-culture jokes the whole premise would come across as pretty antiquated to today's audiences.

QuoProQuid posted:

that said, the supernatural has been around in the franchise for a while. there was a whole spin-off where shabby, scooby, and daphne tracked down ghosts for vincent price.

13 Ghosts, I remember that one! That was the one with Flim-Flam in it (basically imagine the unholy lovechild of "Short Round from Temple of Doom but somehow worse" and Carlos from Magic School Bus). I want to say that was the first Scooby-Doo series that tried to do a long term story arc. I think it also got shitcanned before its first season was even finished.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 15, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Is that a swole Mystery Machine?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

You guys joke, but I'm convinced the only reason Deepfakes haven't replaced real actors yet is because voice emulation isn't quite there yet, and I'm sure that's not far off.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Rochallor posted:

I can see a solid tech demo being released, maybe a bit part in a movie, but... Tarkin in Rogue One was painful to look at. Subtle digital deaging is here to stay and only getting better, but complete reanimation (pardon the pun) seems a lot further off. The 2029 movie starring John Wayne, Marlon Brando, and Judy Garland is going to make The Polar Express look natural and realistic.

In retrospect, I wonder if CGI Tarkin was the reason they resorted to body doubles and unused footage for Carrie Fisher in RoS.

I feel like CGI Leia would have been less creepy than what we actually got, but maybe that's just me.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

I think it was more that there's a big difference in bringing back someone who died 25 years ago and someone who died 3.

I get that they wanted to do something to eulogize a beloved actress who died recently but man, I feel like there had to be a better way of handling that. All the Leia scenes in RoS were just so distracting to me.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't also very obviously using canned lines and bending rear end-backwards to make the script work around that.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 19, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

I’m reading the new Hunger Games prequel and there’s no way they just do one movie for this. It seems like it is designed to be two because the whole “Hunger Games” part is only the first half of the book.

I sometimes wonder how many calls *insert author name here* must receive from Hollywood executives begging them to make a sequel/prequel to *insert novel name here* so that they can milk the *insert highly successful movie franchise here* for just a little bit longer.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Metacritic Synopsis posted:

As a final response to terrorism and crime, the U.S. government plans to broadcast a signal making it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts.

Hmm, can't imagine why a premise like that might be received so poorly right now. No reason at all...

Although going off the reviews the movie's biggest sin is that its just a dull as gently caress 2 and a half hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

QuoProQuid posted:

I have to assume that part of it is executives letting the algorithm dictate their decisionmaking.

At this point I'm just waiting for all the algorithms to merge together and seize control of the entertainment industry like a really passive-aggressive version of Skynet.