Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
To the surprise of basically no one at this point, Artemis Fowl is getting savaged by critics right now.

On a semi-related note, has there been any live-action Disney film besides remakes of their animated films and the MCU/Star Wars stuff that have actually done well? There's the PotC films and maaaaaaaaaybe Tron? Those are the only ones that really come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Red Bones posted:

I think the live action remakes are very financially successful at least.

Yeah the remakes make bank, but it seems like besides that anything they try that doesn't have the Marvel or Star Wars brand stamped on it has either been utterly forgettable or flopped miserably.

Alan Smithee posted:

lol you think Tron did well

Tron is weird because it wasn't very successful but everyone seems to know about it, I would see references to it crop up all over the place growing up.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I've never read the books, but from the bits I've heard about it over the years its essentially "Fantasy Lupin III for kids", is that about right?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I think another problem with YA adaptations in general is that a lot of them basically end up telling the exact same story with just enough parts changed or shifted around to give the illusion of originality, so a lot of people hear the premise and go "oh, its another Hunger Games/Harry Potter/Twilight knock-off, pass".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
The weird thing about highlander is that it always seems to go post apocalyptic/sci-fi sooner or later. The movies, the animated series, that anime film that came out a while back. Even the tv series went that route with that god awful Sci Fi Original movie.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I really do wonder what happened behind the scenes that led to Smith getting dropped from SS2. AFAIK everyone else is coming back for it (everyone not named Leto that is).

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
They were apparently planning on reopening a few days ago but that was pushed back to the 30th after Tenet and Mulan got shuffled off to August. I'll be amazed if they manage even that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Alan Smithee posted:

New terminator bombed like hell. I haven’t even seen it yet

I can’t imagine what’s going to happen with avatar 2

Didn't that movie have like 5 credited screenwriters? Do we know for sure how much involvement he had in the production, or did they just drag him out of the broom closet to give "Yet Another Terminator Sequel That Fucks With T2's Message" the slightest shred of credibility.

Again.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I wonder how much money I could get for a script about a guy who sets beehives on fire, possibly on a swingset.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

also Nic Cage is actually a really, really good actor when he's used correctly, he just has a really weird and idiosyncratic style that doesn't work for everything and it's insanely jarring when he's used incorrectly.

like, I can't picture anyone else making Raising Arizona or Leaving Las Vegas or Mandy work.

I've got to respect Nic Cage because he's a legit talented actor who just takes basically any role offered to him no matter what it is. You'd never get Tom Cruise to star in something like Con Air.

Barudak posted:

That was SE, even though it appeared on the PSP. Perhaps Unsurprisingly the dude who directed it went on to direct the first final fantasy game since FF1 without female playable characters.

I'm not sure how much involvement Tabata actually had in writing the games; Wikipedia lists Motomu Toriyama as co-writer (along with someone named Toshimitsu Takeuchi who I can't find any information on at all). Notably, Toriyama also made Final Fantasy XIII and its associated spin-offs which, uh, have their own weird takes on some of its female cast.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 31, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Lid posted:

Counterpoint

https://mobile.twitter.com/austinlouisray/status/1279441470433394690

Thats 14 seconds of the five minutes and it makes you want to watch.

Someone could pay me to gently caress an alligator, they couldn't pay me to watch Money Plane.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I've had a theory for a while now that Ubisoft loving loathes BGaE because it aesthetically and tonally clashes with nearly everything they've done since then and they just want to shove the whole thing down the memory hole, but their fans wont let them so they make some performative token effort every few years to keep them placated.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, Final Fantasy XIII's story- or rather, the telling of it- is a direct consequence of an absurd creative process where everyone was working on stuff with no idea how it related to anything else. Some potentially interesting ideas are buried there but you have to wade through hours of walking down a hall to get to them.

See also the 1.0 release of Final Fantasy XIV. I'd like to think they learned something from that experience but the cynic in me says otherwise. IIRC, XV's development was just as bad if not worse in some respects.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Especially since the first bit of foreshadowing Sephiroth happens well after the remake ends in the original.

Yeah you don't get the full Nibelhiem story until the first town after Midgar; if they'd been faithful to the original then the remake would have ended with half the evil megacorps board of directors randomly getting murdered by some guy you never see and Cloud freaking out about a big-rear end Hanzo Steel.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Len posted:

They wanted to make a massive franchise was what I always read

IIRC, XIII was supposed to be the flagship title for some weird sub-series that would have also included Type-0 and what eventually became XV; they would each tell different stories in different settings but would be tied together by recurring concepts. Sort of like the Ivalice games I guess but with rear end in a top hat god robots that curse people for no reason.

Between XIII turning into a clusterfuck and the fallout from the 1.0 release of XIV I think those plans got scrapped and they mostly slapped XIII-2 and 3 together with whatever assets they had left over to try and turn a profit, while proto-XV got re-worked into the next mainline title and Type-0 also exists I guess.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Man, if even Disney's starting to cave then that's a really loving bad sign for theaters.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Most of their other Live Action Remakes have made bank, I'm not sure why they would expect that to change now. I guess Dumbo wasn't as big of a hit but I don't think it was an outright bomb either.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
What was the explanation for Gangster Planet, was it a Galaxy Quest situation where they picked up our signals and thought that's how we did things or what?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

AccountSupervisor posted:

It was all just a formula to try and hook wide audiences into coming back week after week so it would generate ad space revenue, like most network TV, but nobody could quite nail it like Lost did.

I think a big part of Lost’s success is that it actually had a compelling premise beyond the bullshit mystery box format. Cast Away and Survivor proved that “surviving on a tropical island with no hope of rescue” was an absolute slam dunk of a format.

Compare that to all the other knock-offs that followed in its wake. I honestly can’t recall anything about The Event except that there were a bunch of commercials featuring a bunch of random people in random places who seemed very concerned about The Event.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

MH Knights posted:

I liked the first season of Heroes. And then the second season happened ...with the all new Nissan Rogue!

Heroes should have ended with Empathy dude and Sylar dying and the second season being an all new cast and story.

I don’t think anyone will disagree with you there. Season 1 was great, Season 2 didn’t fall off a cliff so much as violently careen into a brick wall. And then the writers performed augury on the viscera to figure out where the plot should go next.

“Hmmm, well if you squint really hard this length of intestine looks a bit like a crying little girl!”

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Pirate Jet posted:

L4D3 was never actually in production, fans assumed it was based off of leaked info. There was a PowerPoint of a remade plantation from L4D2 in their new engine but that was just to give an easy comparison between the features of the new engine and the old, and a leaked project ledger listed L4D3... alongside titles like “Ricochet 2,” “Super Mario 128,” and “buttsbuttsbutts.”

I couldn't care less about L4D3 honestly, the zombie genre in general and zombie games in particular have kinda worn out their welcome.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

pospysyl posted:

Season 3 was cool because they deliberately set out to copy the worst comics of the nineties. They literally had a Clone Saga.

I was long gone by that point, all I know about the later seasons is that Sylar turns good in the end.

Y'know, the insane serial killer who murdered people by cutting open their heads and eating their loving brains.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Grendels Dad posted:

Most of this was revealed in the second or third to last episode of the show, along with the cave and... was it really a wheel? I think they just had to replace big stone plug.

IIRC if the cork stayed open for too long the island would sink and that would be bad because the island was the source of all life or something (?) so all life on the planet would end up dying (?!?) and this was supposed to be the big hint that all the flash-forwards throughout the last season were actually taking place in the afterlife.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Punkin Spunkin posted:

All the emphasis on the ending of GoT is always kinda missing the point to me, i guess people were waiting and waiting for it to redeem the rest of the series but the problem with GoT isn't the ending it's that the last 3 (or 4) seasons were almost entirely garbage.
I was never bothered by the stupid ending, those final seasons are full of episodes worse than the ending. By the time the ending came around it had been a mediocre to bad show for a whiiiiile. It never really felt like the ending ruined it or was particularly bad.

I think it was a combination of hoping it could redeem itself and the knowledge that this was probably all we were ever gonna get, cause :lol: if you think GRRM is ever going to finish those books.

Edit: I mean for real, we're well over a year since the finale now and Winds of Winter still isn't out yet.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Lobok posted:

If there's one lesson I will impart to my children it's to never start a fantasy novel series unless it's already been finished.

Has there ever been a big epic fantasy novel series that managed to get to the end before the author keeled over? Maybe LotR, but discounting The Hobbit that was just a trilogy. I guess there's Dark Tower but by all accounts that, uh, took one hell of a downturn towards the end.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
The big battle scene was also so dark that viewers couldn't actually see what was happening.

Not, like, a battle scene but the big climactic apocalyptic showdown that the whole loving series was building towards.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Schwarzwald posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but as far as I can tell "big epic fantasy" novels as a label only became a thing around the 90's to promote up and coming authors who were pushing lengthy stories. Like, when I think of big epic fantasy I don't think LotR, I think the Wheel series, and Sword of Truth and the like. The business model with them is to purposely not conclude the stories, so it's not too surprising that they outlast their authors (not that Goodkind has died yet).

A lot of longer fantasy stories that predate the label but are retroactively considered big epic fantasy have been completed. Jack Vance's Dying Earth, Le Guin's Earthsea, and Tanith Lee's Tales from the Flat Earth are all examples. Maybe you could count Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, too.

Yeah I was mostly thinking of stuff like Wheel of Time when I said that, I just thought I should mention LotR since its become the template most modern fantasy series take after in one way or another. You bring up a very interesting point though; dragging things out for as long as possible to squeeze out a little more profit is a very :capitalism: move, I just wonder where its more a personal decision on the part of the writer or publisher meddling and how much of it is actual intent. Kevin J. Anderson was sure as gently caress trying to fleece people over but GRRM just strikes me as more lazy than anything.

feedmyleg posted:

LotR was one book that the publisher made him break up.

Feldegast42 posted:

LotR was written all at once as a single book but the publisher forced him to break it into three due to paper shortages in postwar England

I actually own a paperback copy of Fellowship and its thick enough that it could make for a decent mallet in a pinch so I don't really blame them for wanting to split it up.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 16, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

muscles like this! posted:

They're also doing an adaptation of The Wheel of Time and once trailers for that start showing up there are going to be some pissed off chuds because they changed multiple main characters to be POC.

I think any WoT adaptation would more than a few major issues to deal with, the big one being that binary gender is apparently a hard-coded law of reality and the basis of the settings entire magic system.

If nothing else I'm glad someone finally managed to pry the adaptation rights away from Red Eagle's deathgrip. I'm still pissed off about that ashcan short they poo poo out just so they could hold onto the rights.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I remember thinking that there were a bunch of sequences that seemed weirdly incongruous with the rest of the film, like you could still tell where the cuts were made, or like there were scenes that were still missing and just never got added back in.

It also flip-flopped a lot between pseudo-swords and sandals action about a guy getting into sick fights on his journey to the holy land, political drama and LotR-esque giant fantasy battle sequences and never seemed to make up its mind about which of the three it wanted to focus on.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
It should also be mentioned that Christopher Tolkien absolutely loathed the rampant commercialization that followed in the wake of the Jackson films and was very stringent when it came to handling the rights to all the other stuff. That might change now that he’s passed away but for now at least it sounds like they’re holding on tight to the silmarillion.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
For real though I'd love to see a faithful adaptation of Turin Turambar someday, if for no other reason than the fact that its basically Proto-Berserk of all things.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I mean, even as-is, it was fine, honestly? Like, I didn't really have any beef with that movie.

It was an okay prequel to one of the greatest movies of all time and it’s kind of difficult to look at it objectively as it’s own thing (no pun intended) when so much of it is built on nostalgia value.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Schwarzwald posted:

The franchise doesn't exactly have stable continuity, but of the two series farthest in the future one has humans dying out and the other has humans and reploids becoming a single species (if that even is the word).

Hell will freeze over before we ever see a Mega Man Legends 3. :smith:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Codependent Poster posted:

So I'm hearing this will be like the Brazilian Mega Man comics and have Roll naked all the time?

By pure coincidence I just started reading the stickied thread in GBS for the first time and man, uh, that's loving something all right. :stare:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I mean whatever your personal feelings on Nolan, there is no way Tenet's ever going to live up to expectations after all the waiting and bizarre bullshit that's built up around it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Why does an ancient evil alien have a latin symbol carved into his chest?

Why is his henchman named after a Canadian rock band?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that there is apparently a character named Demon Bear in this film? That sounds like the title of some cheesy 80's b-movie, not the intimidating villain of a big-budget studio release.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

NorgLyle posted:

You'll find that the broader X-Universe in comics also contains Native American characters literally named Warpath and Scalphunter so...

poo poo I didn't know it was a Native American thing; I just went over a plot synopsis and apparently its some monster one of the main characters accidentally summons? Like I thought it was an actual dude going around just calling himself Demon Bear unironically, like Demon Cop but with better(?) special effects and no lawn chairs.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Anonymous Zebra posted:

If he somehow tricked more Americans into falling for that character again despite it becoming so well known a decade ago, then more power to him, I'll watch his darn film.

Maybe its like some kind of weird "cry wolf" effect, where they just assume its some rando impersonator and not the real deal so they end up letting their guard down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Grendels Dad posted:

They probably don't know that because the financial failure of his DC movies has been vastly overblown.

Also, there was a movement with public awareness asking for this to be made, I don't see where the problem is. The argument about indy movies not being made because of this is loving idiotic and people actually actively opposed to the project are just weird.

Joss Whedon is a jackass so if they want to excise his poo poo from the film then more power to them. I'm not a fan of Zack Snyder's work, but I know he went through some Raw loving poo poo fairly recently so if he wants to go through with this then I won't begrudge him for it and if they want to give him a shitload of money to make it happen then that's their problem, not mine.