Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remakes/sequels/adaptations that could go either way:

Bad Boys for Life: can Will Smith's star rise again? (Yeah probably)

The Invisible Man: Universal has yet another crack at reviving their classic horror franchise! This time they've abandoned the whole Dark Universe idea and just asked Blumhouse to make a standalone film

Bloodshot: Sony's latest attempt at creating a cinematic universe based on comics, this time starring Vin Diesel and adapting some comics that hardly anyone has heard about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vandar posted:

Arnold S. did Kindergarten Cop back in the day, don't forget that one.

Dolph Lundgren also had a crack at that one.

ALL NEW MOVIE!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darthemed posted:

Hogan had Santa with Muscles, Mr. Nanny, and Thunder in Paradise. Schwarzenegger had Commando (debatable qualification) and Kindergarten Cop. Did Stallone manage to dodge out on this?

Stallone had a film where he tried to kill some kids, does that count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc_w59HfVZE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Monglo posted:

Can't wait for the Baby Admiral Ackbar show!

How about the official Disney animated show where everyone had a rolling beachball body like BB-8, because kids love BB-8! Yay! BB-8-style storm troopers! BB-8-style Chewbacca! BB-8-style Maz Kanata!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo-KpFMwgV8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

Each time a new trailer for Dr. Doolittle surfaces it makes the movie look worse and worse. Now there's even a dragon.

Shneak posted:

Holy poo poo I came here to post this. What on earth??

GoT hype. Dragons are cool now early 2019 when they were desperately retooling the film

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been a huge Monty Python fan almost my entire life (the show & movies were incredibly influential on my formative years) and I've been a big fan of Gilliam's movies for decades and decades but .... gently caress that guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like that was a movie also made carefully to not step in the wreckage of all the western tropes blazing saddles made into laughingstocks. Like there was a time like a hundred or more western movies were coming out per year and there was like 40 western tv shows on the three channels that existed on tv. And they had these super huge fanbases and were all tropey as hell, then began to lose steam, became almost dead, then blazing saddles kicked every single sacred cow and made every single thread that was still hanging on fall off and no one could ever make the old style of western ever again.

I feel the same is true with Robin Hood and King Arthur, they're still pumping out a bunch of those films but after films like Men In Tights and Monty Python And The Holy Grail it's really not possible to put the classic versions of the characters on film, it has to be a gritty Robin Hood origin film or King Arthur in a a modern high school or similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_and_television_series_featuring_Robin_Hood#Live-action_features
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_based_on_Arthurian_legends#Film

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

Blazing Saddles didn’t kill the western, Easy Rider and the deconstruction of the American myth by disillusioned youth who saw the horrors of the war in Vietnam did.

There were a whole bunch of factors. Spaghetti Westerns and Revisionist Westerns really broke down a lot of the tropes of the genre, the huge number of cheap Western TV shows just plain exhausted audiences and ran the genre dry, parental advocacy groups started complaining that the genre was too violent and campaigning against it, scifi and other genres were taking off and looking forwards to the future rather than looking back to the past, etc etc etc..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

The wholesome west is what we're talking about though. During that time the vast majority of Westerns were of that type, and stuff like The Searchers and The Wild Bunch were the exception. Nobody's saying there weren't exceptions or that Blazing Saddles was the first Western to ever take on the tropes of the traditional Western.

We should also point out that Blazing Saddles was one of the biggest, most popular films of the 70s and was also the second biggest Western of all time, only being beaten in ticket sales by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Even if it wasn't the first film to skewer the tropes of the traditional Western it sure was the one that got the most eyeballs.

(Note that ticket sales back in the heyday of the classic Westerns were calculated differently, you pretty much bought entry to the cinema for a mix of serials and news reels and features rather than a ticket to a specific film. )

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dolittle's going to be the next hilarious cinematic disaster that doesn't involve CGI cat-people, though it'll probably be big in Korea. It's going to be fodder for essays as to how movie-producers can easily draw millions in funding yet at the same-time lack any sense of self-awareness or the ability to read the market. The fact that the movie is the second big-budget take on Dr Dolittle, when the 1967 attempt bombed, shows how little people care about history.

The 1967 film was nominated for nine Academy awards (including Best Picture) and won two of them :colbert:

(20th Century Fox spent a ton of money rigging the nominations)
The film's IMDB trivia page is a hell of a ride: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061584/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Sammy Davis Jr campaigned hard for the role of Bumpo in the film but star Rex Harrison vetoed him on account of him being an "entertainer" (ie: someone who could actually sing and would definitely show him up) but SDJ got his revenge by releasing a hit album where he covered all the songs in the film.

Edit: ah ha ha ha ha the new RDJ film only opened yesterday here in Australia but all the cinemas in my area have already dropped the prices on every session

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 17, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Is doolittle a bigger trainwreck than Cats?

Cats had a $6.6m opening on a $95m production budget, Dolittle would have to make less than $12m on opening to be doing comparatively worse.

Stink Billyums posted:

Doolittle is tracking for a 20 million opening on a 175 million budget

Woodchip posted:

Didn't think they could make something worse than the Eddie Murphy version.

Hey now that made money and had four sequels, even if threeo of them were direct-to-DVD. They also launched Norm Macdonald's lucrative VO career!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Dog

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The theatrical release is only 90 minutes long. No live-action movie that expensive is ever that short. There must have been an entire hour meant for the final cut.

Slicing the gently caress out of a Dr Dolittle film to make it bearable for audiences is a venerated Hollywood tradition! The '67 film rated really poorly with the first test audiences who complained that it was too long so they ripped out chunks of it, but test audiences still complained it was too long so they ripped out a few more chunks, then the third batch of test audiences went "Uh it's fine I guess?" so they went with that relatively trim 152 minute cut.

Even TV shows that have ridiculously overstayed their welcome rag on it for dragging things out :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV2UE31vSgU&t=23s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Your theaters drop prices :stare:

I double checked and you have to be a member of their Hoyts Rewards program to get the lower price, which would be $15 instead of $22 for the "Xtremescreen super saver"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Jesus posted:

If you look at the wikipedia list of western films released in the 70s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Western_films_of_the_1970s) films labeled as "traditional western" are in the minority from the beginning of the decade. "Grim westerns" also didn't begin with High Plains Drifter and not even the american ones (though italian, the grimest western evern, the Great Silence, was released in 1968). I haven't watched the video in question but from the descriptions here it seems as if someone started with a conclusion - Blazing Saddles ended the age of traditional westerns - and then cherry picked arguments that support that conclusion.

Nah his argument is more "Revisionist/grim Westerns were already a thing but Blazing Saddles signalled the final end of the sanitized "wholesome" Western"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The original 1920s Dr Dolittle novels were hella racist. When the '67 film was in pre-production they originally included that character but they eventually decided to drop him.
https://blog.plover.com/book/Dolittle.html

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

The French, in general, have really hosed-up views regarding sex, gender roles and equality.

Regarde Aduck posted:

As opposed to America where your hosed up views regarding sex, gender roles and equality is spread over 50 states. I guess it dilutes it?

poo poo's hosed up all over the globe and is actually getting worse in some places. The Turkish parliament is currently debating a new "marry your rapist" bill that will let pedophiles off the hook if they marry their victims.
There used to be similar laws in the US but they've been pretty much rolled back, although some were shockingly recent. Apparently up until 2018 there was no minimum age for a girl to be married in Florida if she was pregnant and a judge approved of the marriage.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are still on a poo poo load of merchandise though :psyduck:

The 90s still leaves us with Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and if they're really desperate Tarzan.

They could probably do a live action Nightmare Before Christmas that could be just trash and still bring in a billion+

They also remade Pete's Dragon back in 2016, and they've been steadily recycling their old live actions movies like Flubber with Robin Williams in 1997, The Shaggy Dog with Tim Allen in 2006, Race to Witch Mountain with Dwayne Johnson in 2009, etc etc etc..

They've already remade Freaky Friday three times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disney_film_remakes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Disney could just do theatrical runs of their old animated movies and still make money but nah that makes too much sense.

They used to re-release their classic animated films all the time - the 1967 animated Jungle Book film was re-released in 1984 ($23 million box office), 1990 ($45m BO) and has a limited overseas release in 2000 ($4.5m BO). They also attempted a live action remake with trained animals in 1994 ($43m BO) and a 2D animated sequel to the '67 film in 2003 ($135m BO) and various straight-to-DVD features plus animated TV series, all of which utterly pales into insignificance against the 2016 CGI "live action" remake ($966m BO).

Disney have spent many many decades trying every technique available to wring as much cash out of their back catalogue as possible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Every studio used to constantly released their old movies. It's why Gone With the Wind has the highest adjusted box office, it was released something like 37 times. Before vhs became so ubiquitous in the 80s it was the only way for people to rewatch old movies.

And even after that Disney kept trying to get audiences to buy tickets to their classic films with 'special edition' releases, such as when they re-released the '94 animated Lion King in IMAX in 2002 and then in 3D wide release in 2011.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some movie named The Rhythm Section opened in over 3000 theaters this weekend and grossed only $2.8 million for the weekend, which is an all-time worst for any film opening in over 3000 theaters.

Deadline has already done a breakdown of what went wrong with The Rhythm Section and apart from Blake Lively's lead performance (which got good reviews) everything else about it was pretty hosed all the way through production.
https://deadline.com/2020/02/rhythm-section-box-office-bomb-blake-lively-paramount-james-bond-007-1202849211/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rageaholic posted:

It was directed by "Adil & Bilall" and I guess this is their US theatrical debut. I wouldn't mind seeing more from them.

They were also going to direct Beverly Hills Cop 4 which was supposed to start filming back in 2017 but it's been in development hell for a while, but Netflix just bought the rights a few months ago so it looks like it's back on the table.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I got a movie about a big St. Bernard they might want to reboot/remake next.

The time is right, there's a live action Clifford The Big Red Dog movie coming out later this year (featuring John Cleese, Kenan Thompson, and Rosie Perez) so big dog IPs are hot right now!!

Edit: the motion capture/stand in puppet they're using on the set is hilariously ghastly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

Regardless of the Clifford show still airing, every Kindergarten classroom in the country probably has at least one of the books. And it's not like parents don't buy the same books they were read as kids. And libraries are chock full of 'em for storytime. So I don't think there's any concern about it not being a known property for kids.

Yeah it should be an easy sell but for some reason the project just kept stalling. Universal originally greenlit it back in 2012 but kept moving the release date back and eventually went cold on it and let the licence lapse, so Paramount bought the rights in 2016 and went through a bunch of rewrites over several years until they finally settled on something.

Edit: on a hunch I went and checked if there were any new Lassie films in the works and it turns out there's a remake of Lassie Come Home hitting cinemas later this month, but it's only being released in Germany
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10384944/

Benji got a 2018 remake via Blumhouse/Netflix, Lady And The Tramp got a live action remake last year, Scooby Doo is getting a big screen reboot in a few months.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 4, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

My friends go to watch all the comic book films at the cinema and the trailer made them skip this one. And these are people who went to see Suicide Squad.

I wonder how much of that was because the first two Suicide Squad trailers were set to the rock classics of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" and the two Birds of Prey trailers were set to Edith Piaf's L'hymne à l'amour and a recent cover of Betty Hutton's It’s Oh So Quiet which are .... uh ..... somewhat less rockin'.

Edit: to be super pedantic (and because I know someone will inevitably bring it up) they used Lucy Woodward's 2005 cover of Bjork's 1995 cover of Betty Hutton's 1951 adaptation of Horst Winter's 1948 German-language song Und jetzt ist es still
:goonsay:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 10, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is Morbius very popular in the comics? Him getting his own solo movie always seemed weird to me, but I only know about him from his appearance in the 1994 Spider-Man show.

I'm pretty sure the upcoming movie is mostly because Sony is trying to squeeze every last drop of blood out of their Spider-Man licence (remember how they were going to do an Aunt May prequel film? And a Sinister Six film? And a Black Cat/Silver Sable film?) and Marvel have been unsuccessfully trying to make him a thing for a long time. They keep bringing him back every few years and trying to wedge him into other media but he never really takes off.

He was originally included as a sequel hook at the end of the original Blade movie but was dropped from the final cut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-qxNcFcoA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Also it's a sequel to a 2014 Russian film which only got a DVD release in the US
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1224378/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

I do wonder what a Russian affecting an english portrayal would look like

You can't go wrong getting someone from Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels to play your English dude. :v:

Apparently they approached people like Christian Slater, Tim Roth, Sean Bean, Keanu Reeves, Pierce Brosnan, and Jason Statham for the role and Statham went "Uhhhhhh I might know a bloke who's more in your price range ...."

The entire production was pretty dodgy

quote:

In 2006, Russian producer Alexey Petrukhin and Russian director Oleg Stepchenko decided that they wanted to make a film based on the horror story of Viy by Nikolai Gogol. By then, two other projects based on Gogol's tale were in production, such as Taras Bulba film from 2009 and The Witch from 2006.

In order to secure the title, they needed without any further delay to release the information on the forthcoming project. In the course of three days, they filmed a teaser trailer where the role of Khoma Brutus was played by Petrukhin himself. Only after that did the active production of the film begin. When the teaser was shown in theaters, the script was not yet written and the actors were not cast.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Hollywood: "check it: Fantasy Island: reboot of a boomer show nobody remembers"

audiences: "ain't like I'm gonna watch something original"

Hollywood: "As a horror movie!"

audiences (who do remember): "Weird curveball but okay. Horror is hot these days"

Hollywood: "rated pg13!!!"

audiences: :what:

The 2019 Banana Splits movie adaptation was also a slasher/horror film but at least it was rated R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlgFo_Q9fE4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Peccadillo posted:

Who did they recast as Villechaize?

According to the Wikipedia plot outline his character isn't in the film at first, but Jimmy O. Yang starts the movie as one of the island guests and at the end he elects to stay and takes on the name Tattoo. And before you ask, I googled and he's 5'5".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

The Loss Lines will be eternal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

You're more likely to end up with "bazinga" becoming a greeting or the Soup Nazi as a fairy-tale teaching future children to be kind to strangers.

Safety Factor posted:

I would like for the philosophy espoused in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure to become the new culture of the world as is ordained.

Unfortunately it's far more likely that mutated desert-dwellers will be making human sacrifices to ward off Slender Man

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How the gently caress do you pronounce that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EekGFJhrg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Koopa Kid posted:

All comics in the 90s looked like that, and it got worse before it got better imo

Yeah the 90s was pretty much the comics industry's equivalent of going through the "No gently caress YOU dad!" awkward teen years where they tried way way too hard to be edgy and hardcore and it just looks embarrassing in hindsight

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pospysyl posted:

I forget, did they have DVD players in Mad Max?

They worshipped the power of cars and fuel so I guess the Fast & Furious movies became their new religion?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Y'all are forgetting that The Big Lebowski has already been turned into a religion and there's tens of thousands of practicing Dudeists all over the world already

pospysyl posted:

People thought Robinson Crusoe was a true story when it first came out, but they didn't base a whole religion around it.

No need, the book is already all about Christianity and man's relation to God

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mierenneuker posted:

The dog from The Call of the Wild deserves more work!

That movie lost at least $100 million so the dog has been blacklisted :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smug jeebus posted:

How did they spend $150m making a dog movie

quote:

Principal photography on the film began in late-September 2018 in Los Angeles.[14] The film was not shot on location, extensive use was made of CGI. Some of it was also shot on sets in Los Angeles and some exteriors in Santa Clarita, California. All-in-all the production spent $109 million filming in California, with the final budget reaching $125–150 million by the time post wrapped.

I'm guessing the conversation went something along the lines of "We're not greenlighting this film unless you get a big name like Harrison Ford to star in it!" "But there's no way that he'd spend 8 weeks on location in the Yukon!" "Well, just make a new Yukon a half hour from his house"

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm sorry, they built a river but couldn't get a dog?
They built the dog as well :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 27, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

I guess I should have expected it considering he has two other known PoS in the movie (John Cleese and Chevy Chase.)

loving hell I remember hearing that Hogan and Chase were seen filming scenes just a few blocks from my house here in Melbourne back in 2018 but forgot all about it, I guess this shitshow of a film has taken a while to come together

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't Paul Hogan a piece of poo poo?

From a 2018 article:

quote:

Paul has insisted the upcoming feature release will be a comedy, where he will play himself in the semi-fictional tale that documents the lead up to receiving a Knighthood for services to comedy.
:jerkbag:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hogan's divorce in the 80s was particularly ugly, and he spent much of the last twenty years going back and forth with the Australian government because he was evading tens of millions of dollars in taxes.

And holy poo poo, he's eighty.
He was born in 1939 and he married his first wife way back in 1958, he's old as hell
Edit: he was pushing 50 when he made the original Crocodile Dundee movie

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 28, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

"Starring Milla Jovovich" has become a huge red flag.

From that Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/Cyclonebros/status/1233412317410250752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thundercracker posted:

Speaking of who greenlit a movie I would love to hear how The Foreigner was greenlit. Because it definitely feels like two entirely different movies. Or rather it was like they pitched a script for a IRA thriller and then it's someone said no one's going to watch that so they add Jackie Chan. Like he has no real character arc, and his actions are weirdly inconsequential in a Indiana Jones kind of way. There's there's entire long stretch of the movie where it's not about him at all, and all about Pierce brosnan's IRA politicking.

He's great in it though, but almost in a Predator monster way.

From what I can gather it's mostly the same as the novel it was based on right up to the end where Nguyen and the SAS are setting up to attack the bombers in the hotel at the same time and the SAS kill the bombers and Nguyen, and then they fail to stop the reporter boarding the plane with the rigged laptop and it explodes mid flight.