Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm trying to remember all the trailers before Cats.

My Spy, Dolittle, The Call of the Wild, The Heights, Peter Rabbit 2, Sonic, maybe one or two others. And definitely Trolls World Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyTg7RIn-X8

Peter Rabbit looked grating. This, though, this seemed like it's going to cause an uptick in drunk driving - either from parents smuggling in booze to get through it, or from an immediate stop to the liquor store afterwards.

you know what, i really don't care one way or another about how this movie is gonna be, but after a decade when 60% of the top rock songs were by either Imagine Dragons or Twenty-One Pilots it seems like rubbing it in to cast the rock people as the ones trying to rule the world. Like the plot feels like it should have happened circa 1995 when hip-hop was still genuinely new and rock was still genuinely on top of the world. Seriously when the sad emo guitar people are the only ones left standing and even they are working with taylor swift, it's kinda hard to buy Hard Rock as a thing that desires dominance.

Memento posted:

Is there some kind of Hollywood Ritual for an action leading man where you have to make a movie where you look after little kids? The Rock had that Tooth Fairy movie, Vin Diesel had that babysitter one, and now Big Dave Bautista is (probably, I haven't looked into it at all) going to find his heart again after spending too many years as a hardened assassin or whatever.

don't forget that lovely movie from literally like 2 months ago where John Cena played a big manly fireman who ended up in temporary possession of some children. it's a subgenre unto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m in Disney World this week and did the other Resistance ride at Galaxy’s Edge and it’s incredible. If they had just waited and opened the land when everything was done you’d be seeing universal acclaim. This place is seriously incredible to just walk around in.

I don’t give a poo poo shout Avatar one way or another but the Pandora thing at Animal is also well done and was obviously a proof of concept for Galaxy’s Edge.

I went on RotR yesterday and I can confirm that it’s dope as gently caress. It punches back at the trend of rides as vehicles that transport you from one screen to another with some truly spectacular environments and the physicality of everything really sells it. I haven’t seen Episode IX yet but I’d be willing to be money there isn’t a moment as thrilling as staring a life-size AT-AT in the face as it prepares to blast your face off. There are still some screen moments but they aren’t the whole show and serve to enhance the whole experience. Pandora is cool and all but I like the lame boat ride more than the Flight of Passage because even in world you’re just doing a virtual experience (which is what the whole avatar project is in the movies), but the boat ride has these beautiful crafted flora and fauna and one incredibly lifelike Animatronic. The world is really well built though. Those floating rocks are cool as hell.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i don't know if Margot Robbie can sing but if you tell her to do her Harley Quinn voice but about 50 IQ points lower that would probably be the ideal Audrey.

Or you could reunite the best Spider-Man with his best girl and cast Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. Stone can definitely sing and I have to imagine that Garfield can too.

edit: ooh, Kristen Schaal! She'd be a wonderful Audrey.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Stainless Steel Rat is kind of a comedy series.

hey man, have some respect, he just dropped out of the race today.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Possibly, there was a homeless man that hung out around my college since a lot of students had a habit of giving him a few bucks or buying him a sandwich when they saw him. There was also a rumor that he was secretly wealthy and either insane or just had nothing better to do. Everyone I knew that perpetuated the rumor also attended objectivist or libertarian meetings. I always assumed the rumor was their way soothing a guilty conscience about never doing anything to help him.

yeah it's a pretty common belief that, even if they're not secretly wealthy, most homeless people who are asking people for money are making like, mid-to-high 5 figures a year and have a home and are just lazy which is why you shouldn't give them money, and i'd be willing to bet that 95% of the people who believe that are also big fans of destroying the social safety net. it's definitely a belief you hold to justify your actions.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

hemale in pain posted:

oh wow, so someone got doxxed for tweeting this to the point where all her workers quit and she attempted suicide and then the director of guns akimbo tries to defend her, in a pretty dumb way tbh, and twitter warriors get all defensive over it because bullying people on the internet is only okay when they do it.

he accused some of her former writers, who weren't even online when the whole thing went down, of pushing her to commit suicide, and then when people tried to explain that to him, he like, quadrupled down and called them all murderers. When someone who is a big enough deal to make movies with Harry Potter goes on a twitter campaign against random black internet film writers who are expressing their displeasure at people using the n-word and calls them all murderers, that someone should probably get the gently caress off of twitter, whether by hook or by crook. It should be noted that most of the people who resigned did so before the suicide attempts, and after she posted those videos actively worked to find her and keep her from actually succeeding, thus possibly saving her life.

(it should also be noted that within a few days the director created a burner twitter account to continue complaining about this and people found it almost immediately because he was absolutely unsubtle about it)

edit: honestly that Stranger article is kinda lovely and solely coming from the "Everyone On Twitter Is Terrible" perspective and throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A writer on RogerEbert.com wrote about it and did a much better job of talking about the experience of being a black critic online and the inability on the part of some (like the writer of the article you posted) to discriminate between actual Twitter trolls and people who are trying to say something.

Robert Daniels posted:

“While young critics dream of being pull-quoted, I asked for mine not to be used. Here’s why.”

Like some critics, I’ve thought about the feeling of seeing my name attached to a film I loved. It was an unspoken daydream, caught between idealized professionalism and nascent wonder. For Black writers, the chances of being pull-quoted are less, considering the disparity in access to new releases and staff positions. I remember hiding the excitement of my first. It was for Bob Byington’s “Frances Ferguson.” “Play it cool. Act like you’ve been there,” I thought. Months later, at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2019, I watched Jason Lei Howden’s “Guns Akimbo,” a film I loved. A few months later, the publicist contacted me to request the use of my quote: “A spectacularly fun and exciting time.” I responded instantly, in the affirmative. A month later my quote appeared in “Guns Akimbo”s second trailer.

However, a few short weeks later, events nearly turned tragic. From the night of February 20th to now, Twitter would convulse with outrage against the use of a racial slur, would condemn bullying, and normalize the usage of that slur. And a director would make dangerous and false accusations of attempted murder against two Black critics, torpedoing his own film in the process. My journey through this initially began through anger: seeing a slur used by someone I know. Then it moved to worry for their safety. It went into overdrive after a visceral reaction to a director using his platform for gaslighting. For lies. For racism. This became a cycle of blindspots, and a constant blockage of discussing race, suicide, and alliance.

To understand this chain, I unfortunately have to start at the beginning. It began when the Editor-in-Chief of the now-defunct Much Ado About Cinema, was accused of using the n-word in one of her direct messages that apparently was written four years prior. She initially denied it, claiming the screenshot had been photoshopped. On Thursday, February 20th, she would admit in a lengthy apology the veracity of the screenshot and her use of the racial epithet. She was quickly denounced, and many of the writers from her outlet (some who were women and people of color) stepped down. The incident created a swift storm on Twitter, with many (white) trolls attacking her.

Her writers’ decision to step down was courageous. Because for a young critic, to leave a steady outlet and position on the basis of morality isn’t the easiest of decisions. They should have been applauded; instead they were quickly made the perpetrators by some, hissed at in the same breath as those hurtful trolls, though their actions weren’t comparable.
They were made the brunt of Twitter’s ire because as cruelly as a timeline can change, the aforementioned editor posted three videos. In tears, she shared her hurt. She also intimated that she was committing suicide, and had been very public about her past and current struggles with suicidal thoughts. Director Barry Jenkins offered an appeal for her safety, and many of her former writers mobilized to find help for her, to call local emergency responders. She was found and saved. Even in this trying moment, her writers were still her closest friends. Once again, they should have been applauded.

Instead, Twitter turned again. Without knowing the full story, only hearing scraps of information, some heaped blame, and did so in a ratcheting battle of self-aggrandizing platitudes struggling between simplicity when discussing mental health, race, and rage. Many perspectives were right at once: Her writers deserved the right to leave. Apologies can be given but forgiveness takes time. Criticism was warranted. Bullying definitely was not.

Worst yet, in the midst of these events, many mostly white writers called for greater kindness when dealing with someone’s mistakes, while ignoring that the anti-Blackness and racism participated in shouldn’t be dismissed as merely a mistake. And asking Black people to react with kindness when someone uses the n-word is thoughtless and damaging. Many white writers composed extended Twitter threads to denounce trolls, but far fewer lines of text were devoted to speaking about the racial implications of this near-tragedy. For many Black writers, it was another example of race either being minimized by our white counterparts or flatly ignored.

Jason Lei Howden (director of “Guns Akimbo”) took the unsettling events further. He denounced “woke Twitter,” though no one has ever defined what woke Twitter is to me. (However, I have a passing dog whistle of an inkling.) Howden then proceeded to post the handle of every writer and editor who stepped down from their respective role at Much Ado About Cinema. He accused them of being “hacks,” essentially targeting and weaponizing his followers against them. Many of these critics are relatively young, though no less professional, and to a point, are as unprepared to face the vitriol from a group of Twitter goons. When the matter was brought to Howden’s attention, he deleted the tweet, but proceeded to double down on his disgust with those writers who left their positions.

He later proceeded to defend his decision, mostly by attacking many of the Black writers who accused him of normalizing the usage of the n-word. Moreover, the crux of his argument rested upon the belief that no one’s perfect, “So who were any of us to judge?”

Such reasoning is flawed and ironic. Specifically because “Guns Akimbo,” his most recent release, follows Daniel Radcliffe in a supercharged hyper-masculine gaming world where humans are weaponized to fight each other for the entertainment of those on the dark reaches of the internet. Radcliffe plays a troll forced into participating after the creator of the game along with his henchmen surgically bolt guns to his hands. Radcliffe’s character finds the ultra-violent audience consuming the game to be abhorrent, and the pumped-up sycophants worshiping a violent lifestyle they’d never commit to in real life are seen as repulsive. The film is meant to target online bullying.

When Howden posted a list of writers to hunt down, he essentially advocated retribution; he was a bully behind a keyboard accusing others of bullying. He used the term “woke culture” as virtue-signaling to condemn Black writers who have spent their whole lives recoiling to the very syllables of the n-word, which from the lips of a white person often dehumanizes or worse. Here, Howden’s worldview thrived on the inherent awfulness of those who denounce him. “Surely, they’re not perfect either,” he intimated. And yet, why must Black victims be perfect to gain the same respect and empathy he falsely regaled us for not having?

For these reasons, on February 21st, I consulted the editor of RogerEbert.com Brian Tallerico for us to contact the publicist so permission for the use of my pull-quote could be rescinded. Ever-present and supportive, Brian to my mind is the model editor. We discussed the ramifications of a film being composed of more than just its director. Radcliffe, Samara Weaving, and a host of others perform at their best in "Guns Akimbo"; they didn’t deserve to be caught in the crossfire as much as the former writers for Much Ado About Cinema deserved it. I certainly contemplated that if a spiral of events caused by emotional knee jerks led to this moment, I might be only perpetuating the cycle with my own hollow act. Because surely the studio wasn’t going to pull past marketing for a film already in theaters. At worst, if I did nothing, my quote could appear on a DVD cover.

Brian said he’d support my decision 100%. Nevertheless, I’m ashamed to say that if I had actually taken the night to think on it, I would have calmed. I would have drawn back. I would have been petrified by the fear that I am a Black writer, and I have a personal worry of losing everything. That speaking out would label me a distraction, a problem, an emblem of “woke Twitter.” Even when a Black writer is given support, these thoughts still race through our or my head.

Later that day, I witnessed Howden briefly unblock a Black critic named Valerie Complex (@ValerieComplex) only to accuse her of bullying and of attempted murder, even though Valerie wasn’t even online when the events took place. A white male accused a Black woman of a major crime, and yet no immediate outcry came against the abuse she suffered. I guess Black wounds aren't deep enough for another censure of “woke Twitter” to occur again. Instead, it festers until the next cycle of controversy, only for white critics to wonder, “Why is she so aggressive?”

So on the morning of February 22nd, I gave the all clear to Brian: “Let’s pull the quote.” Later that day, @DarkSkyLady would write a blog post for Medium on the varied ways white critics minimize racial slurs. From his film’s official Twitter page, Howden harassed her, and also accused her of attempted murder, even though the evidence clearly said otherwise. Over the course of the next 12 hours, he would deactivate and reactivate his Twitter. And then a tweet came to my attention, one present on his then-private account. He tweeted side-by-side pictures of Valerie Complex and @DarkSkyLady, almost like a wanted poster, and called them “disgusting ‘film writers,’” while doubling down on his lie that they bullied. That’s when the dam finally broke, and over the course of Sunday most critics and anyone else on Twitter condemned him, 26 hours after he initially accused Valerie.

I’ve not been able to grapple with the ramifications of the past 72 hrs. It began with a slur, turned into tragedy, then a plea for kindness, and then the complete opposite of kindness ensuing from a director. Through every bit of this there was bullying, the normalization of a word that shouldn’t be, and a very slow-footed response to people of color who were equally as bullied and in trouble. It presents a lot of confirmations of what many think Twitter is, but not many solutions.

I don’t have any either, because some of this began and continued due to oversimplifications of very nuanced issues that are often attacked blindly or with only partial vision or not at all, and typically with a hatchet. I know that we’ve gotten terrible at emotional multitasking, of accepting many truths at once, and delineating the importance of each with respect to context. And that we still aren’t willing to be ever conscious of race and gender, or remembering that there are some who despise that ever-consciousness.

But we can become better at listening; become better at learning the appropriate responses to actions. We can strive to learn the appropriate responses to actions, to not minimize feelings nor slurs. And we can understand that “ally” is a four-letter word whose meaning and action shouldn’t only be understood during moments of crisis, but every day.
Many should look at their timeline. How often do you share a Tweet from women of color? How often do you talk about films from people of color? How many people of color do you actually follow on Twitter? You might be disturbed by the numbers. Twitter’s an echo chamber, but it’s even more so if you curate your feed that way.

Past that, understand that you have a platform, no matter the size. Your voice can be amplified not just for bad—a bad you should be wary of—but for good, too. Don't pass up the chance to use your platform for good, for the people who most need it.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 9, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Barudak posted:

I really didn't like Wall-E or Up so for me the decline starts there. Unless Cars came out before those in which case motherfucking Cars

You are an insane person, WALL-E and Up are the two best Pixar movies.

Cars 2 was the start of the decline IMO. The first one could be written off as Lasseter being a boomer and turning his nostalgia into a film, but Cars 2 was after the Disney acquisition and made fully for the toys.

edit to be more specific: Disney purchased Pixar in 2006, the year Cars came out. After that we got Ratatouille, WALL-E, and Up, all of which are fantastic and wonderful, despite what this dummy i quoted says. They were all in the works prior to that purchase, and Toy Story 3, which came out the year after Up, was almost certainly not in the works when the purchase happened (because Disney was trying to make it on their own since they owned the property), but probably got started about 30 seconds after all the papers were signed because Disney wanted sequels to be made and they didn't want their half-rear end C-team animation studios to do it if they could help it. Cars 2 came out the year after Toy Story 3, meaning that it was almost certainly put in production around the same time for the same reason, but it was made not because it was the conclusion to a beloved trilogy that everyone loved, but because it made stupid money from merchandising. I'm not going to say that Pixar had never made decisions based on merchandising before because I know how capitalism works, but the toyetic-ness of their films was definitely second to the actual craft themselves, which is something that Disney bemoaned on the reg and was one of the reasons Pixar didn't want to continue working with an Eisner-led Disney. Once Eisner got the boot, Pixar gave themselves over fully to the machine (which hadn't quite become the machine we think of it as today, although this was arguably the first step in that process) and started making the movie they wanted to make (Toy Story 3) and the movie Disney wanted them to make (Cars 2).

They've made good movies since then (Inside Out and Incredibles 2 being the only ones that stand alongside their previous work) but Cars 2 represents the first movie made with Disney's interests superceding Pixar's (the ol' "one for you, one for them" thing that Hollywood does), and also it's definitely a step down in quality even from Cars 1.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I can’t wait for the touching backstory of the racist caricature Siamese cats

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Soul feels the most like a Pixar movie made in that era where they were just making whatever the gently caress they wanted and Disney got mad because they couldn't sell toys of it (turns out no one wants stuffed old people or weird little robots or rats???), i would totally buy that Disney just doesn't know how to market it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Soul really depends on whether or not it subverts expectations. If it's two hours of preachy poo poo about following your passion and not letting anything get in the way, as told by artists with massive blind spots because they're successful in their field, then it's probably going to suck. If the outcome is that he doesn't get his big break but realizes that his role as a teacher is worthwhile and fulfilling, then it will probably be good. I'm leaning towards it being the latter.

i have faith that the guy behind Up and Monster's Inc and Inside Out is gonna make it good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i think it would be absolutely hilarious if New Mutants got delayed again

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

They are delaying New Mutants?!

at this rate we're going to pass the 2 year anniversary of it's original release before it comes out

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

Next major release (until it gets delayed) is Trolls World Tour on April 10th. After that is Black Widow on May 1st.

Saint Maud is scheduled for the 10th as well as Charm City Kings the following week, and Bad Trip and Antebellum the week after that. They aren't major major but they are wide releases. We'll see if those hold.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think Troll World Tour is the only big studio film not being delayed yet (outside of The Hunt, which was delayed but now might be the Last Movie Ever)

i was talking to one of my coworkers at the theater i work at today and i told him i think that Trolls is gonna be a bellwether for movie theaters, they'll stay open as long as Trolls stays put but if it moves, chain theaters will probably close until Black Widow (unless Black Widow also moves, which has been rumored pretty heavily).

it's not impossible that if worst comes to, theaters will be closed for almost 2 months. it would absolutely suck poo poo and put lots of people out of work and i have absolutely no faith in the chains to keep their employees from starving if they can help it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also AMC has announced a new policy where they are going to cut maximum attendance for their theaters by half.

what a coincidence, the customers of my theater announced a new policy where they cut our total attendance by half, all on their own!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So, if the initial predictions come to pass, this will be the lowest grossing weekend total for the entire theatrical box office since September 11-13, 1998 (that is not a typo, i do not mean 2001, the weekend after 9/11 still grossed more than this weekend).

For reference, this is what the box office looked like that weekend:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

Yikes. I read an article earlier that said the film industry stands to lose $20 billion because of coronavirus, and I guess that's accurate if we're already doing worse than 9/11 weekend.

I mean, this is just phase one. There are basically no movies coming out now, and the movies that are supposed to come out now will probably not get the same money they would have had they come out without a giant pandemic

and then all of the stuff currently in production is shut down. and that's not just like, LA, that's everywhere, from LA to Vancouver to Atlanta to New York to China.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Marcus announced that they were going to only sell half the seats and encourage distancing, but maybe now they'll just close.

as a marcus employee we weren't selling up to 50% capacity without this loving virus. i'm still not convinced they'll do the right thing a second before being forced to; last year during the cold-snap in the midwest that shut down every other theater, chain or otherwise, Marcus kept open and offered people free Hot Chocolate, which was just infuriating

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

as a marcus employee we weren't selling up to 50% capacity without this loving virus. i'm still not convinced they'll do the right thing a second before being forced to; last year during the cold-snap in the midwest that shut down every other theater, chain or otherwise, Marcus kept open and offered people free Hot Chocolate, which was just infuriating

the latest word out of Marcus-World is that we aren't gonna close theaters unless forced to by a government, federal, state or local. there may be something in the works for helping employees of theaters closed but they really really don't want to.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Iowa's governor has ordered movie theaters (and pretty much everything else) to shut down starting at noon today, which is in an hour and a half from now. We're scrambling because that's really really short notice, but we'll see if AMC/Regal/multiple state governments push Marcus to close everything.

I honestly don't have the highest hopes for that@

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Local paper says that Marcus theaters in Nebraska are closed now as of an hour ago.

yeah Marcus is closing their locations now. i'm surprised they went before Cinemark honestly. they're offering some money to employees who work more than 15 hours a week, but not a whole lot. The warning we got said they expected to be open in 14 days but i'm thinking it will be longer than that, especially with Black Widow dropping out. there's nothing for a while.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

disney of all companies can weather this storm, especially because whenever the market fully reinflates it's going to be their movies that everyone goes to. I can imagine Mulan's release sort of signalling the "all-clear" and getting a lot of people assuming they wait until people are actually safe, and they have so many release dates cordoned out that shifting everything back 6 months is gonna be easier than other places which will have to totally reorganize around the movies that are already scheduled.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

my last theater movies were the last 5 minutes of Sonic the Hedgehog and the last hour of Birds of Prey.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

AMC is refusing to show Universal movies because they shared that news, lmao. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-refuses-play-universal-films-wake-trolls-world-tour-1292327

I don't think Trolls' success is really so noteworthy - as just noted by others, I think kids' movies stand to gain the most from instant VOD, and that's still $100 million over the course of three weeks, a take considered mediocre-to-bad for a theater. Even without overhead I don't think that's that big of a triumph.

if AMC refuses to show one of the biggest studio's movies they won't be showing anything soon after because they're already teetering on the edge of bankruptcy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

Godzilla 2014 had one of the greatest trailers of all time and they tried to scrub it from the internet (it contains the body of a monster that isn't the MUTOs is probably the reason). Not sure any movie could've lived up to that teaser.

frankly, despite the fact that I love love love that teaser trailer (it's really well done considering it was made before a single frame of the actual movie was shot) and have nostalgic feelings for it because I was in the room at Comic-Con when they unveiled it (and then showed it again because it got such a positive reception, the room went absolutely batshit for it, deservedly so), I think that the first real teaser that starts by building up to the HALO jump is a better trailer. The HALO dive is such an iconic shot in a movie full of iconic shots (so much so that they made reference to it in KotM) and the music they have for it (especially in the second half with very limited noise leading up to the roar) is really the perfect way to build tension. Probably one of my all-time favorite movie trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

I also love G14 and think it's on par with Shin so I'm fairly biased.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So Disney has ditched their previous theatrical release plan for... Hamilton. Moving up from the previous release date of October '21 to this July 3rd.

I can't believe that they had this movie scheduled for literally 17 months from now and were literally just gonna sit on a completed film for all that time

or at least one that they actually had a hand in producing and was not just thrust on them ala New Mutants

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

PeterCat posted:

Though the girl who pays Mattie Ross in the original is terrible.

and I bet her Billboard Top 30 single about masturbation wasn't as good as Hailee Steinfeld's either.

man she's had a weird career. nominated for an Oscar at 14 years old (and fuckin' robbed if you ask me, she should have been in the lead category) for her first role in a feature film ever, going from that to a bunch of absolute bombs, starting a singing career, swinging back into film through Pitch Perfect 2 and is now splitting time between being a pop star and an actress, both of which she's really pretty good at but neither of which she's really become an A-lister because she's not full-time in either.

seriously it could be legitimately argued that four best movies that she's been in are True Grit, Enter the Spiderverse, Edge of Seventeen and loving Bumblebee, which was showered with praise solely because everyone was just so sick of Michael Bay that a movie directed by someone else was like an oasis in the middle of the Sahara.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

I assume he's talking about the scene where a dude gets kidnapped, stripped, and covered in a resin before having his flesh sewn into a tapestry of other dead, plastic-covered bodies. The dude then wakes up and tries to rip his body out of the tapestry of corpses before running headlong into a ravine.

I find it difficult to pick out the most unpleasant moment in Hannibal between the man cutting off his own face, the forced self-cannibalism, and the living mushroom people. It was an extremely nasty show and I have no idea how it got to air on NBC.

I mean I think the first moment everyone was like "wait what the gently caress was that" was the "angels" with wings cut from their skin and held up with wire, which was definitely nightmare fuel. You're right about the face-eating being the worst part though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm guessing it has to do with Fuller's perfectionism and attention to detail. I don't know a lot about American Gods but I do know Hannibal employed a "food stylist" whose entire job was not only making the meals shown in the show look incredible but also like they probably also contained human flesh. Put a bunch of incredibly niche stuff like that, especially in something as fantastical as AG, and you got a ballooning budget and Fuller demanding $9 million per episode for Season 2 (for reference, the first season of Game of Thrones cost $6 million per ep.)

I mean literally any show that has food in it employs a food stylist, I dunno why you'd frame it as some weird niche thing. They just hired someone who is very good at it, and made it a regular part of the show to display Hannibal's proclivities.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

while in other video game movie news Cate Blanchett is playing Lilith in Eli Roth's Borderlands movie.

how much loving money did they pay her, if I were cate blanchett I would not go anywhere near either Borderlands or Eli Roth

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1268913237610901508?s=20
she's far too distinguished to play a final girl so this must be method acting for a psycho role

reminder that Ms. Blanchett has just been cast in Eli Roth's Borderlands

no I don't know why she'd want to do that either

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Tars Tarkas posted:

The seats in the theaters are probably nice and clean, but it is the air in the theater especially with a bunch of rando patrons who are chowing down on dry popcorn just waiting to cough everywhere that is the big nope

as a movie theater employee, I'll set this straight: if the seats are leather, you're gonna be fine, especially immediately after reopening. Theaters are gonna have extra hands on deck to be cleaning constantly. My boss told me we'd probably have 2-3 people on theater duty (when we'd normally have 1, 2 on very busy nights) armed with lots of sanitizer, plus an extra person cleaning just the bathrooms. They're super paranoid because people (rightfully) assume that theaters are gonna be a place where people could very easily transmit. If the seats are cloth, you might not be so lucky, it's harder to clean them.

you're not wrong about the air though, that's something theaters can't really control. They'll all be forcing people to wear masks (especially after AMC tried to say they wouldn't and everyone yelled at them, and I dont' know about everyone else, but I'm gonna be a huge rear end in a top hat to anyone who thinks they can get in without a mask. There's not really a way to enforce wearing them in the theaters themselves though. I wouldn't recommend you go see movies in theaters at least through this year, possibly longer depending on how long this pandemic lasts. I'm not optimistic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the fast and furious franchise cannot go into the past because then they'd have to explain why they're not picking up Paul Walker on the way and that will just be a huge bummer

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

drat. A24 pairing up with Landmark Theatres and just having one or two screens always play one of their films would be choice.

Landmark is already owned by the same people who own Magnolia.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

obviously she was too early, if she had released that after 50 Shades got popular she would have had a niche to market to.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I waffle back and forth about whether a Metroid movie would be a good idea. Obviously the right people behind it would make it sing (and brie would be a very good choice to play Samus, behind pretty much just Charlize Theron if she still wants the role) but I wonder if they'll just turn it into an action movie. I'd love to see like, the scenes within the alien tomb in Prometheus but stretched out to an entire movie for Metroid.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

AccountSupervisor posted:

I dont understand why they didnt just update the decree or work on a replacement law. Its so stupid they think the DoJ and existing antitrust laws are going to be vigilant enough to basically prevent Disney from strong arming theater owners harder than they already do. Its so insane.

everyone jokes about Disney buying AMC (which still could totally happen) but the actual first thing that Disney is going to start doing is block-booking, which is where you don't get The Big Movies unless you carry their entire slate. it's already something they kinda do back-handedly but now they can just do it out in the open! Disney is already crazy strict about this poo poo, at my theater we can't schedule anything less than a full day of shows for Disney movies even if it's a Thursday and we've got new movies opening in the evening and no one is going to see the Disney movie because it's been around for like, 3 months.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

It did because it was very bad.

It and Dexter ended at roughly the same time and it’s like the show runners were having a “piss off the fans” competition

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

END ME SCOOB posted:

So the entire show they'd been cutting to shots of "the kids" he was telling this story to, and they filmed all of these ahead of time because otherwise the kids were going to age up. This meant that they stuck with the ending they'd planned way back when, ahead of all the development or changes the cast went through.

And that's why everyone was furious when the final scene we see reveals this entire tale of how I met your mom was describing their NOW DEAD MOTHER in the present (who we only met in the final season!) and Dad was telling this tale to get permission from the kids to go gently caress Robin. If I don't misremember.

Imagine if your sitcom ends with the montage that opens Up and then the old man's response to loneliness is asking his children "but I can still bang this woman who you treat as an aunt, right? That's cool?" It's so tonally hosed on a lot of levels.

Also they built up to this woman for 7 years and teased all sorts of really cool women as potential mothers and so finding a woman who could actually live up to all that was such a tall task and they found her and still hosed it up.

It cannot be overstated how perfect Cristin Milioti is (in that role and generally) and how they threaded the needle of finding someone that was lovable enough that she could hang with characters who fans had followed for years and totally believable as someone you could fall in love with the first time you meet her and pretty seamlessly integrated into the timeline of the show. You see her sing La Vie en Rose on a ukulele, which should be impossibly twee but instead it completely melts your heart because of how good their casting was, and by the time you’ve spent the season watching her and Ted’s love story blossom and everyone was ready to watch them ride into the sunset and then they put a cap in her rear end and siked everyone out. It’s like catching a potentially game-winning pick-six after you let a massive comeback happen and then at the one yard-line you drop the ball before the endzone because you want to flex and end up losing the game.

Everyone go watch Palm Springs, she’s also perfect in that movie even if she doesn’t get to sing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

reminder that a couple months ago she dropped some tweets sort of implying that she buys into QAnon