Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised

Silver2195 posted:

That's basically the premise of Tomb Raider, lol.

OK, it's more complicated than that, but it is explicit in one of the newer games that Lara's parents looted artifacts from around the world and kept them in their private collection, and I don't think the game had a very strong sense that there was anything wrong with that.

Hitman 2 had the final story targets be obvious Lara Croft riffs who are thrill-killing thieves and murderers. (and one of them on-off dating an obvious Nathan Drake riff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scrooge McDuck was doing it first. (the iconic Raiders scene is ripped straight from a comic)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still say it oughta have the Oompa Loompas be the brains of the operation and Wonka is just the frontman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gatts posted:

This...is to make us sympathetic or understanding or something to a someone named Crue lDevil who wants to skin dalmations/dogs for fashion or some poo poo?

If Disney has guts get Paul Verhoven or Martin Scorsese to make a Frollo movie about the Church and genocide and his desire and inner conflicts in wanting a prostitute and how it destroys everything and see if they can make it work to turn him into a protagonist.

We'd never get it but the real wild card would be to have it tie directly into Gargoyles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cats Vs Dogs 101: Jellicle War

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sirotan posted:

The extended version of the Super Mario Bros movie is wonderful and the lovely VHS quality of it just lends to the charm.

It also took me multiple viewings over several decades to realize they're all driving electric cars in the Koopa dimension because dinosaurs never went extinct there and fossil fuels don't exist. The world building is so great in this movie I don't understand how anybody could hate it.

To quibble, fossil fuels are actually based almost entirely on plantlife which mostly predates the dinosaurs, but then it could also be how it's specifically stated that wasteful policies especially under King Koopa have depleted almost every resource they have, and fossil fuels were likely the first to go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the vast majority of people that start any film on streaming don't finish it. It's the same thing you see with videogame achivements. Where the overwhelming majority turn it on, get through some minimally small amount of time (5 minutes) then quit, then anyone that gets past that line generally will get to like 80% and then a bunch of people quit around there, then anyone that gets past that is likely to make it to the end.

And sounds like the same thing with achievements, studios are going to take completely the wrong lesson from it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gaston movie ends with him kissing the Beast and turning into a beast

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Borderlands plot mostly revolves around a black guy and a group of women so which character is gonna get to be the boring audience surrogate white guy?

Given that looks more like BL2 characters, probably Axton? Or yeah, Handsome Jack.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Something else to consider are the Muppets. How many actors have played Kermit, now?

Or say, Superman, Batman, pretty much any animated character...

Anyone else remember S1mOne?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Dragon Lives Again - Bruce Lee is dead and in Hell, where he meets Popeye, the One Armed Swordsman, and the guy from the Kung Fu tv show. Together, they team up to take down a gang in Hell that is made up of James Bond, Clint Eastwood (in Man with No Name guise), Emmauelle, Dracula, and The Godfather. Later Bruce then beats up the King of Hell because he's Bruce Lee and that's what he can do.

I was about to say that it's practically a fighting game tradition to have a barely legally distinct Bruce Lee character, and then I got to that and it sounds like an amazing Mortal Kombat knockoff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Byzantine posted:

I think that is Mortal Kombat now.

They do have a cowboy and a vampire, and now Rambo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just picturing James Bond's fighting game moveset.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

China hated it too. The whole funny thing about it's massive success was that it made record smashing amounts of money on opening night then dropped off massively. Like chinese audiences did the classic 'a high budget video game movie? no way that can be bad!" that america has run face first into several times a few decades ago before figuring out it's always bad.

Sonic the Hedgehog was okay and did okay, which should have been a warning sign for the rest of 2020 paying off that karma.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jack B Nimble posted:

The person with DOG written in their avatar says vampires, the person that has a dog as their avatar says cats, and it's pussy island? This is all a conspiracy orchestrated by Big Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLO1amgDhYY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

K.K. Slider got hardcore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jefferson Twilight needs more work

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly just remember Star-Lord's shiny cowboy gun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Joke may be he's originally from New Zealand

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There was a recent guest on the Kingcast who was saying that so much of kids media these days, and for the last 15-20 years involves anthropomorphic vehicles. Living cars, living trucks, etc etc. Interesting to see how that affects things going forward.

A lot longer than that. Thomas the Tank Engine anybody?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tars Tarkas posted:

Transformers predates that even, so back to 84. There is also stuff like Herbie the Love Bug but that was never a massive toy franchise like the modern industry

Thomas might actually be older if you go back to the books.

And then of course there's the little engine that could.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't the Bayformers movies past the second or third one have a bunch of mutually exclusive backstory and otherwise don't bother much with continuity?

Also, kinda LOL that the franchise stopped right on the Unicron post-credits reveal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

They probably realised this midproduction since Megatron and Primal were originally alligator and bat. When they're making the cartoon, they likely noticed there were not many ways of making alligator vs bat look good and Jurassic Park along with King Kong gave them ideas. Nonetheless it is true that the 90s were the heydays of creature/character toys instead of vehicles since figures were more articulated and easily posed.

Optimus Prime as a bat is... certainly an idea. I mean, a gorilla is pretty much a slam dunk for a character defined by being huge, strong, yet gentle, reasonable and soft-spoken. And something similar for Megatron. They even had precedent, with the Dinobots and all.

Of course, Beast Wars was also built around the strengths and weaknesses of CGI. Character models being easier to animate but a large up front cost, so you have a smaller cast and much more focus on character and long-term story. They still haven't really managed the Uncanny Valley? No problem- there's no recognisable human characters. (at first)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WonkyBob posted:

No idea, to be honest. I'm not up on the lore of Mighty Max.

The cartoon is apparently wild, especially for its era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's neat to read about how much of pixar history and animation history in general boils down to "we invested money in this new animation technique so our next movie is going to have a premise that showcases that technique"

I would bet money that in the next few years there will be a pixar movie about fire, or where the characters are fires or fight fires or otherwise have to hang out in a place a bunch of fire simulation is happening.

Dragons, yo.

A lot of the early CGI shows play to the strengths of the medium; Reboot, the other big one, literally features computer people, that the audience will forgive looking like video game characters because they pretty much literally are. Lesser known ones like Shadow Raiders/War Planets have explicitly nonhuman characters (mostly) and Insektors (anyone remember that one?) has, well, insects. It's only smart to build your story around the strengths of the medium.

And I could, and have, made huge fuckin effortposts about the various Zoids animes, which use 3D exclusively for the titular giant animal robots and it works really well because they focus on the details, everything from recoil to solid designs to, probably most importantly, sound design.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, Dracula is public domain and an iconic figure, anything that wants to use him can.

Transformers has never really been a franchise to limit itself to anything besides budget, it's only the more recent shows that have narrowed the tone exclusively to the Transformers themselves and Earth. Pretty much every other incarnation has had crazy poo poo; G1 in particular is all over the place with different aliens and an implied shared universe with GI Joe, the comics went all out with drat near everything Hasbro owned except My Little Pony (and apparently something with that is in the pipeline), there's non-Cybertronian aliens, time travel, human supervillains, Atlantis, gods, and a lot of things that are even to the Cybertronians basically magic which they don't understand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Ghostbusters crossover was fun, they introduced a Transformer who's basically giant robot Egon (and who turns into the ECTO-1, naturally) and Optimus Prime got a Ghostbusters makeover.

Apparently they also made a Ghostbusters My Little Pony.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like someone could make an indie movie where someone had some sort of nanobot transformable matter but by default anything it made looked like floaty shakey flat shaded low poly cgi so it would be some like, gritty sci-fi but everyone is driving around in playstation one cars.

Honestly would be nice if more movies would embrace low-budget CGI sfx, especially if they used practical effects as best they could. Like, for the M16-to-Rainbow-Dash effect have a transforming prop. Working around limitations makes some of the best creative works.

Zoids comes to mind again, a franchise that blended CGI and 2D animation to actual good effect, mostly through scale but also simply because they put in the work to pull it off and play to the strengths of each style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminds me of the early Sonic trailer and how apparently even THAT design was a compromise with the director who insisted on Sonic having to look 'real'.

A lot of directors don't seem to understand that you can and often should combine real-world and 'cartoon' aesthetics, because otherwise you plummet straight into the Uncanny Valley. But they need everything to be 'consistent' for poorly explained reasons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The crossover of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOkkNpBjYkg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All we need now is a small red dog

Red, Redd 'n' Reddy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like that doesn't have precedent for Dungeons and Dragons as a franchise. And besides, I imagine given it's a deliberately generic fantasy setting, and that D&D characters are literal self-inserts, it probably needs a gimmick like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

There’s some speculation that he’s hemorrhaging money to keep his poo poo promoted on FaceBook and YouTube. Plus his school shooter movie making no money. I’ll be a little shocked if his backers give him enough to make another movie since he’s a bad bet, and all the kids are mocking him these days.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure he comes from money, and he's been astroturfed from the start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole right-wing sphere is cattier than the worst stereotype of Mean Girls and eager to turn on each other for clout and personal feuds. Ben Shapiro has a very particular 'what a whiny millennial SHOULD be like' appeal to crusty old chuds and nazi dweebs but anything beyond that has been superceded, he's only still in the game because he's always been astoturfed by his rich family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Urdnot Fire posted:

Maybe he was inspired by The Clone Wars’ Seven Samurai episode.

Or the Seven Samurai issue of the Star Wars comic book.

And everything has done and continues to do Rashomon episodes, because it's such an applicable premise to almost anything, yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of anime series about History's Greatest Warriors being yanked out of their own timelines and thrown together

Also a couple of fighting games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Also the Barbie media, apparently—my 5 year old niece threw on a Barbie video while she was staying with me and I was pretty impressed with the messaging. It's still tied to decades of antifeminist damage, though.

Hasn't that been a thing on and off for decades? IIRC there was a President Barbie in the 80s. Also, apparently the original Toy Story wanted to have a Sarah Connor/Ripley inspired Barbie but Mattel wasn't interested. (yes, they changed their tune quick for for the sequels)

Barbie and Ken in Toy Story 3 were... interesting. They almost stepped right out of a more family-friendly Robot Chicken short.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Didn't Bratz get shut down because of some copyright kerfuffle with Barbie?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does remind me that I wondered if Hellboy came with a big right arm because of that big gauntlet thingy Rasputin wore while summoning him. Or possibly vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

I liked it but the plot twist at the end was extremely telegraphed seeing as they went out of their way to never show the father's face whenever he appeared in flashbacks.

You'd think so but pretty sure it surprised a lot of viewers.