Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was also recently an animated movie about Mystery Inc being invited by Batman to join the Gotham detectives club. The Brave and the Bold version of Batman, to be exact, who is a perfect match.

They work together shockingly well, partly because Batman is the only one who recognises that Scooby-Doo is a dog who happens to be smart enough to speak and understand English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Today could be a great time to bring back drive-in theatres.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chieves posted:

So how likely would it be to get the Venture Bros included in this universe?

Unlikely, if funny, since they'd basically be redundant.

Then again, Mystery Inc implies that the Groovy Gang might be canon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The various industry groups should just buy an island that would be entirely dedicated to film/television production where everyone coming in is subject to testing for the virus. Everything produced on the island would be 60's to 80's BBC quality but it would be fine.

Haven't we already had enough trouble with Hollywood and private islands

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Last movies I saw in theaters were Sonic and Birds of Prey lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

is it comic sans now?

Wingdings

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I suppose, but a lot of the things that made it work on a character to character level were rooted in the 90’s zeitgeist. That said, you’re right, the underlying themes are pretty timeless and someone talented enough could do something with it. Racking my brain trying to think of who would ideally helm a project like that.

Lol, just remembered the book that asked “what if god...was a gamer???”
Now THAT was ahead of its time.

Biggest issue with Animorphs is its publishing model looks ridiculous today, since Harry Potter came along and showed you CAN sell novel-length books to kids.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well, no, really the more distinctive thing about Artemis Fowl is that it's Shadowrun for kids. Artemis is initially the antagonist, and the first book makes it look like he's a huge poo poo, but then his motivation turns out to be curing his mother's mental illness by press-ganging a fairy into magicking it away rather than the initial gold-ransom. from that point on, he's sort of comparable to, say, Lupin III: a character who achieves good goals through questionable methods, that usually have some sort of selfish benefit for him attached.

e: I used to really like these books, and I'm a little miffed at how poo poo the movie looks. it also puts me in a very awkward position with Butler's casting, because I don't wanna be that rear end in a top hat who gripes about a character being black, but... Butler was already a POC in the books and him being very specifically Roma ends up being kinda important later on? so I'm not really sure what they're gonna do with that.

Yeah, a pity if they're basically skipping the first book because what makes it so interesting is basically a hostage negotiation movie from both perspectives, with high-tech fairies vs a child criminal mastermind. The later books kinda end up getting formulaic in comparison.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Coming of age' seems especially ridiculous nowadays where anyone under 55 is still treated as an ignorant whiny child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

i don't really see the comparison if you know literally anything about Hitler's life.

Though weirdly enough I can't help but think of NGE with Ender basically being the closest counterpart to Shinji.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

But Metal Gear REX already exists?

Also Gear REX, a dinosaur version.

https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Gear_REX

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lid posted:

put into monster hunter world when

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Konami owns the rights, and you know how cooperative they are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Spielberg produced like half the Kids WB cartoons at the time. Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Freakazoid... Uh... That one cartoon about the dogs of various world leaders being a superhero team.

Who else would make a cartoon about a Jerry Lewis internet superhero?

There was a short in Animaniacs iirc with the Warner Siblings, Pinky and the Brain, and Freakazoid arguing over which are Spielberg's favourites.

And do you mean Road Rovers? That show was apparently super weird, and not just for being a TMNT knockoff with dogs, but one that was Disney styled with musical numbers. (While the Disney take on TMNT was super weird in a different way, The Mighty Ducks. I was a big fan)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And not to mention the lucrative merchandising market. Why work with some producers to make a, say, Dredd G-rated cartoon and have to split the toy profits with guys who own the IP? And then when the producers back out of the deal, you suddenly have 13-100 episodes that you can't do anything with (unless you renegotiate with the money guys to allow the opportunity to make more money), and a toy line you can't profit off of. But if you go with some brand new, never before seen pilot from some guy fresh out of CalArts, you can completely own the idea and make even more revenue for the network, and forever own the IP in perpetuity, and eventually revive it as some nostalgia bait. Case in point, Cartoon Network made hand over fist with Adventure Time, and they will continue to forever as long as people will pay for it (which might have slowed down, but HBO max hopes to revive that market).

I'm pretty sure the only licensed shows happening these days are either Superhero cartoons (and that happens because Disney owns both Marvel and several Channels, while Warner owns both DC and Cartoon Network), or shows produced by lego. And I imagine lego is footing a huge portion of the bill, as they own the toys and the factories making the show. And thus, the shows become the most lucrative commercials there could be, provided they hit their market.

And in case of Lego, they're in a very similar position as the cartoon channels these days. Take a look at the sets lego lego releases these days: Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Minecraft, Overwatch, Harry Potter, etc. A lot of IP they do not own, and some traditional set lines that aren't nearly as pop-off-the-shelf exciting as the licensed ones, like city and creator. So a non-IP line of toys that can connect with kids in the same way the IP toys do are a huge vector for major profits, and thus how you have over 10 years of 'Ninjago' and 'Lego Friends' toys and cartoons.

Cartoon Network is a funny case since for a while it seemed like they really hated any show that they didn't make, and were constantly screwing over DC shows like Young Justice for flimsy reasons. (until Teen Titans Go came along anyway, now that literally makes up 90% of their schedule) To the point where Hasbro got sick of their poo poo and ended Transformers Animated prematurely to go make their own network, The Hub, though I don't think anything on it besides My Little Pony (yes, that one) was really a breakout hit and iirc they rebranded to Discovery Family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Through the 80s and 90s it's kinda crazy how 'TMNT knockoff' practically became its own genre. Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, The Mighty Ducks, Road Rovers, Dinosaucers (though that struck me as taking a lot of Transformers inspiration too), and probably Samurai Pizza Cats. (in the original anime, they're ninjas, who are routinely shot out of a cannon. And TMNT was always popular in Japan, I'm pretty sure)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was listening to an episode of Retronauts about TMNT, and I think it was Bob Mackey who recounted an interview with the lead designer of the first TMNT game by Konami and he kept saying "Why turtles!?!?" Just utterly baffled at this weird American franchise. But it made Konami tons of cash so they kept producing the games.

The funny thing is that the very start of the franchise was Eastman and Laird making notebook drawings, and they decided to draw Bruce Lee as the most ridiculous animal he could possibly be- so they drew a turtle-man with nunchucks. And it grew from there. Absurdity is kind of at the very core of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Horror franchises in general are surprisingly hard to adapt, especially ones aimed at kids. Doesn't help that they rely on subtlety and implication, even the silly stuff like FNAF works because of your limited perspective, and those things are anathema to Hollywood. And most games really, I think Hollywood and AAA gaming have the same problem where all horror franchises just end up turning into action because shootbangs sell better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's one of those movies that works a lot better when you realise it's not actually meant to be about the aliens.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A bit funny since the Rock's character in Jumanji is basically Doc Savage. (the in-game character, that is)

The MCU should have a team-up of Star-Lord, Black Panther and Dr Strange just to riff on Defenders of the Earth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, honestly, I think this is kind of a false dichotomy? You can totally make a movie that's both faithful to these old IPs, and still holds up next to other blockbusters. You just can't have "it's a faithful adaptation of this thing elderly people like" as your main hook.

Like, if they make a Green Hornet movie and the trailer is going hard on how it's exactly like the original, guys! obviously it's gonna bomb because nobody cares. If you, instead, just push it as a cool action period piece about a pseudo-Batman and a badass Asian guy in a mask beating the hell out of weird criminals, you'll probably get a decent audience. The problem is that these studios are all figuring the IP is a hook in and of itself, when that's really not the case, and you have to pretty much treat these movies like they're original IPs.

This is pretty much what the MCU is about, too. Marvel had sold off the rights to all their characters anyone actually knew about, so they pushed Iron Man as something new, and so on with Captain America, Thor, GotG, etc. But Hollywood brainworms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comics still do a shitload of crossovers at any excuse, of varying quality. Ghostbusters x Transformers was fun, and had limited release tie-in toys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sonic sweeping the Oscars would be funny. Though does bring to mind how it being half-decent surprised a shitload of people, most of all Sonic fans, and I think in particular because it specifically avoided so many of the pitfalls the Sonic franchise and especially the games have fallen into. Mainly in actually providing enough context and worldbuilding to feel like the characters actually come from somewhere and have stakes, and giving them actual characterisation beyond one-note traits related solely to adventure.

Was mainly thinking that Sonic, Donut Lord and Robotnik specifically have at least one scene each that shows them on their own, not actively doing anything plot-related, that shows how they spend time when they have nothing else to do and demonstrates their personalities and hobbies. Doesn't seem like much when you put it that way, sure, but it's one of those simple but very effective things to make a character feel 'real'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll be cool with Lego King Kong.

Wasn't he already in Lego Batman?

Does Universal own Illumination? We might be in for more Lego Mario.

...I'd be absolutely loving down for Super Lego Mario Maker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And in Toy Story 3 he spend half the movie with a different VA speaking Spanish.

Just have the cartoon guy who also voices Brock Samson do it. (You may know him better as Kronk)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

One of the things that still blows my mind to this day is how utterly incompetent the U.S. Military are portrayed in Godzilla (1998). As Mayor Ebert yells at one point "You guys caused more damage than [Godzilla] did!" up to and including blowing up the Chrysler building with a stray shot while the day is saved by Matthew Broderick with the help of Jean Reno and the French. No way in hell would anyone get away with that these days (well, because of that and NY getting wrecked to poo poo).

I mean, that's pretty much the military in almost any Godzilla movie. Even in the 2014 one the protagonist just barely manages to avoid making things worse than they already have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

I will concede that G'98 at least made Godzilla explicitly the result of nuclear testing. G'14 opted for some (IMO underwhelming) mythology about an ancient race of radioactive god-monsters and blah blah blah

That's literally more accurate to the original movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and people outright miss the whole point of the first half of the movie is the monsters are seen framed through TVs, windows and apertures, as a recurring motif. It's not very subtle about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My guess is 'Prequel' as Transformers go might mean a movie primarily set on Cybertron showing the lead-up to the bigass war rather than the usual hit-the-ground-running approach. Which is a lot more interesting than it sounds- Cybertron is a hosed up place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, Cybertron has a long, long history of despotic rule, racial oppression and imperialism, leading to the planet being a total powder keg by the time Megatron comes along.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

ancient race of god-monsters was really only Mothra's thing back in the day. Maybe Varan if you want to be pedantic.

Godzilla was at least as old as the dinosaurs and that's pretty drat ancient.

Mind you, I have an inordinate fondness for Skull Island and its batshit insane ecosystem of horrors.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've heard before that Tyler Perry is awful but basically has a captive audience being the only filmmaker to acknowledge that middle-class black people exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still like the idea that creating and preserving life is specifically a Dark Side power, while becoming a ghost is a Light Side one. The Sith try to stave off death desperately while the Jedi transcend it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

There was the chance for a bit of fun by making the design flaw something else than what the rebels end up exploiting. Like, if an astronaut with a pickax lands in *that* exact spot he will be able to work his way straight down to the core without enemy forces able to get to him... it'll just take a while.

That kinda is what happened, though. The flaw had nothing to do with the exhaust port; it was that the core generator for the superlaser, the specific thing that the protagonist's dad was press-ganged into designing, was deliberately made to be unstable and blow the whole thing up if someone set off an explosion near it. Pretty smart, since even if the flaw was discovered, by then I imagine he'd expect to be already dead and they don't have the know-how to fix it. But I imagine he expected rebels would be able to take advantage by sabotaging the core or a suicide bombing, which ironically Obi-Wan would probably have had the best opportunity to do if he knew about it, the proton torpedo down the vent was something unforeseen by both him and the Empire.

The real funniest thing about Rogue One is how much of it was predicted by Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars (which was the very first thing Disney did with the license after buying it) complete with Darthenshmirtz basically taking Krennic's role. (And being an evil scientist who worked on the Death Star, of course he put a self-destruct system into it as he's basically physically incapable of not doing)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

The tow-cable thing wasn't exactly established combat doctrine, and was more something Luke came up with on the fly. AT-ATs were probably most deployed against more primitive conditions where the opposing force wasn't using a utilitarian vehicle with tow cables out in what's essentially an open field.

Yeah, iirc there's EU stuff that depicts AT-ATs being used in intended conditions; namely tricky terrain like swamps, coasts, and forests. The first AT in the name stands for All Terrain after all. Hence why you see the cargo versions in Rogue One, being used in what's basically Space Hawaii where they'd be going between land and water regularly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Saying tenet is fun it's very similar to lots of Ancient Egyptian words. Saying tenet a lot is like speaking Ancient Egyptian.

Talk like an Egyptian?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Fantasy world that developed into the equivalent of the modern day' is an interesting idea, and there's a point where you have familiar stuff be there to make it more clear what you're actually going for rather than have to waste time explaining things.

That said, religion and hypocrisy tend to go hand in hand, see all the Christians who think Middle Easterners are subhuman.

Also, y'know, the whole thing with Judaism, Christianity and Islam all being based on the same source material?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Biopic of David Bowie and his shapeshifting supervillain friend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also a couple of other supervillains are implied to be Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper, having faked their deaths to join the Guild, and end up with two heads on one body.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

That doesn't mean Hollywood isn't desperately going to try and make a loving biopic about him.

On the commentaries they imply that they were pushed into that retcon by the network for legal purposes. The quote was something along the lines of "Apparently you can't just make a real person into an ongoing character in your show if it goes beyond a one-off parody." The network also forced their hang to retcon Johnny Quest into a legally-distinct Action Johnny even though they had clearance to use the character and Race Bannon early on.

I think a part of that might be that they didn't expect VB to blow up like it did and so it'd be the only place most viewers would know Johnny Quest from, also that they were developing a new Johnny Quest show at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This guy came up in another thread, and made me think of a different possible take on the Bowie biopic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

That guy's worth like $50 because nerds wants the heterochromatic cat in their animal crossing village

You're off by a couple zeroes.