Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Mother was like babby's first metaphor: the motion picture. I'm sure there were a few people whose minds were just blown wide open when they realized the titular Mother was Mother Earth and were doing the galaxy brain meme IRL at the ending but honestly it absolutely deserved that score because it was a stupid movie for people who think they're smart.

Okay dude you're smarter than everyone else on this board we get it already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the funniest part to me, that they couldn’t get the license to any of the characters that random people dress up as in Hollywood to try and get easy tourist money, so they went with... retro British cop stereotype??? it makes stunningly zero sense.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starting to think people are a little tired of these DC moopies

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I don’t know about that, Detroit handles the issue of race about as gentle as a bull in a China shop. Like oh the androids have to stand in the back of the bus. And then at the end there’s a literal Press X to Quote MLK prompt.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MH Knights posted:

The last movies I saw in a theater was 1917. Good movie.

Is it? The thing I heard more than anything was that it turned the Germans into basically disposable goonies that get slaughtered en-masse by the good guys, or something like that. I dunno.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is the furthest thing from a valid criticism of that film you could get without banging on about space travel.

Well, I guess the grapevine lied to me. Again. gently caress. Guess I'll check it out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know I’m forgetting something but I think the last movie I saw in theaters was Detective Pikachu.

I rarely go to the movies anymore.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Come And See posted:

Pain And Gain confesses to the accusations of Occupy Wallstreet... and stands firmly with the 1%. The rich deserve to be rich, and the poor deserve to be poor. (Ed Harris, the film's voice of reason, says this much of Tony Shalhoub's character and the film rewrites history so that the latter isn't guilty of scamming Medicare.)

This is entirely incorrect and a complete misreading of the entire movie, to the point that it is basically lying about the direct text of the film, regardless of the subtext. Like you have to be directly ignoring the literal words coming out of Mark Wahlberg's mouth in the opening 5 minutes of the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA64dwSFzic&t=158s
"If you're willing to do work, you can have everything. That's what makes the US of A great." -Marky Mark @ ~3:05, and he doubles down on this more and more as it goes on.

None of the poo poo the main characters were doing had anything to do with Occupy or the 1%. It was entirely for selfish motivations and personal gain, hence why after they rip off Tony's character, they wind up in the wealthy Miami suburbs and are driving fast cars and running self-defense seminars.

The main character, Mark Wahlberg, (antagionist, really) constantly repeats typical American motivational self-improvement idioms, and him and his buddies are completely cartoonish bodybuilder stereotypes that are constantly doing ridiculously evil poo poo for the sole purpose of making money for themselves. There's nothing to do with revolution or overthrowing the man. They are the villains of the movie, hook line and sinker, and it screams it to your face when The Rock is literally grilling the deceased flesh of one of their victims. The whole movie lampoons this ridiculous absurdities they take this rugged individualist mentality, and just because it follows the 3 main villains, does not somehow mean they are the heroes of the film.

They are entirely villainous characters that happen to be the focus of the camera, and the camera constantly ridicules them and their deranged attempts at fame and fortune so they can snort cocaine and live the high life of the American bourgeoisie. Pain & Gain lampoons the entire mentality and reveals it to all be nothing but a complete lie we tell ourselves, with the ideology taken to it's natural end - outright murder, in the "dog eat dog world" that makes the US of A great.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Come And See posted:

And yet the movie repeatedly asks who "deserves" wealth and who "should" own those nice houses and fast cars.

Wahlberg growls that not only does he want what Shalhoub has, he wants Shalhoub not to have it.

Harris pontificates that while Shalhoub may be an rear end in a top hat, he earned his wealth.

Which would be ironic if the movie had included the fact that in real life after the person who Shalhoub plays testified against the himbos he was arrested on the court steps for Medicare fraud. Instead, the movie purposefully removed this real life punchline from its American Dream "satire". Why?

Because the movie is sympathetic not only to Shalhoub and what he went through, but with his financial status.

The American Dream is real. Therefore Wahlberg hadn't done the work and hadn't earned it. Otherwise he'd already have it. Instead he's just a whiner, a cheat, a pretender, a loser who's all talk. Like everyone else who complains about not getting their fair share.

Wahlberg is a caricature designed and directed by a right-wing hollywood elite to represent anyone who questions whether the American Dream is just. The story is how if any one of us had half the chance, or the balls, we would do the same as Wahlberg and use that wealth just as selfishly. We're no better than the rich, and the simple fact is we don't deserve nice things, plus we're stupid, lazy and gross.

The American Dream is working as intended, the rich are where they belong, the poor are where they belong, and by the end of the movie balance is restored.

If the movie is so grotesque you can read it as satire, then great all the more power to you. I wish I could. But that reading is mostly based on illiteracy.

Again, you could only come to this conclusion if you didn’t watch the movie. Shaloub’s character is constantly portrayed as a colossal piece of poo poo who mistreats his employees, has contempt for everyone beneath him, and is only a regular human being at the Shabbat scene surrounded by his rich friends and family. He’s never portrayed in a sympathetic light except for the contrast of the absurdity of violence visited against him.

Leaving out a simple fact from the real life story has nothing to do with the movie as a cohesive whole, which takes the mindset of American rugged individualism, and drives it to its natural conclusion, which is robbing people and murdering them like barbarians.

You can call me illiterate as hard as you want, but you just chose to quickly paper over the fact that I entirely dismantled your bit about the main characters being an Occupy analogue by simply posting a clip from the opening five minutes of the film.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

What are some more good modern camp movies?

-Upgrade (cyber-camp)
-The Art of Self Defense (Jesse Eisenberg martial arts arthaus)
-Cold Pursuit (hit or miss Liam Neeson revenge flick, but a solid 3/5 stars)
-Bleeding Steel (oldass Jackie Chan doing sci-fi camp)
-This Was The XFL (documentary, but still, what a story)
-Ingrid Goes West (Aubrey Plaza gets high on Instagram)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The book on Theranos was fun disaster reading and I'm sure there'll be some goofy stories about Quibi. That's it's real contribution.

Bad Blood was a masterpiece of non-fiction writing, just an utterly ridiculous roller coaster

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duz posted:

Nope, it's phone only because you have to be able to rotate your phone to see the alternate view.

Also there’s one show you can only watch at night

And the entire platform is a scam to circumvent labor union standards and screw over crew pay

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

It’s exactly this and it’s directed by Sam Raimi and ends like this!!!

I love the golden arm

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

There's legit thousands of highly-read self-pub mystery books about detectives' cats solving crimes

Make blockbusters out of literally all of them

Alhazred posted:

Hitler routinely had injections of bull semen.

I'm Jewish, so pardon my language, but. But. This is going to get incredibly vulgar, I warn you now.

That bitch was high.

Piece of loving dogshit motherfucking trash was methed the gently caress up, along with medical grade coke and whatever the gently caress else. There's an entire book called Blitzed about this very topic, which is an absolute must-read. But that punk rear end bitch motherfucker left the world loving relapsing as a complete piece of poo poo totally underground. He was loving dazed and confused when Stalin drove him to self-harm, gently caress what you heard about Tankies, that piece of poo poo was down and out knowing that the Red Army had a fat loving hard-on ready to completely obliterate and humiliate that piece of poo poo and his entire inner circle if they breached his loving cummie bunker.

If you ever listened to Dan Carlin describe the absolute brutality the Red Army visited upon Nazi Europe as they forced their way to Berlin, well, it wasn't even a loving fraction of what they had planned for when they breached Hitler's inner sanctum. Yahweh-gently caress-me Jesus, Hitler and his gang took the easy way out. The Wolfenstein reboot couldn't even begin to loving imagine what was going to happen to Hitler if the Red Army breached Hitler's bunker.

Combat drugs are one thing. One could argue Hitler's downfall was his meth addiction. The reality is that coke and meth quickly become a form of reality denial. Sadly, they were not "performance enhancing."

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 29, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I mean its 2020.both can be true and in fact, are. Many people are saying that hitler got high as a kite by injecting bull cum in his veins.

Hitler was a punkass bitch who went out like an economic girly man, too loving high to face the reality he had loving coming to him.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tiresome except for that one Munster rebellion episode.

That episode was one of all the all time classics.

The episode where he explained the World War 1 trench warfare as the direct inspiration for Mordor was another of one of the all time classics.

I don't adore Dan Carlin, but he has been able to turn horrific moments of history into accessible pieces of audible history in a way that nobody else had really come close to. The entire purpose of his WW1 series was that a World War is a loving brutal and unimaginable nightmare we can never inflict on our fellow human beings, ever again. That is the core message to take away from Carlin's work, arguably indisputable.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nonathlon posted:

Yeah, I've been surprised by the recent wave of regard for Lockout. It's a fine for a B-grade film, but nothing great.

I gave Bloodshot like 3.5 stars on Letterboxd but everyone really hated that apparently. Maybe it's because I was building a model kit at the same time or something. Here's my review:

quote:

A solidly entertaining cyborg action ramp. Decent pace, fun setpieces, couple of good twists. Bloodshot won’t win any awards, but it’s a solid couple of hours spent following Vin Diesel around.

Ah well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I forget in what year Robocop was supposed to take place.

2043. So...close!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colostomy Bag posted:

About the only thing the movie didn't get right was the 6000SUX with (guessing here) 10 MPG or something. At least we made strides on that one.

WRONG!

The 2020 Bugatti Divo gets literally 10MPG. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42611

Admittedly an improvement over the SUX’s 8.2 MPG.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 5, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

There's a story on CNN's website right now about how Charlize Theron really wanted to play Furiosa again but Miller chose to do a prequel and recast her instead. I don't understand that decision, you've got the breakout character from Fury Road chomping at the bit to return to the role, and you're just gonna leave that on the table because you want to cast someone younger? I trust Miller(and Theron says that as well in the article), but come on man, this seems like a no-brainer.

the greatest crime was not putting Furiosa in the Mad Max game

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joss whedon is a TERF now

https://twitter.com/coopercooperco/status/1279583657544626177?s=21

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cameo posted:

I think I realized Hollywood hit a nadir when Cline and Cargill, loving AICN talkbackers, were getting screenplays picked up.

loving Cargill’s interview at double toasted about working at marvel “just a bunch of cool nerds talking about cool nerd stuff” drained my soul from my body and made me cynical about the possibility of ever seeing a good movie ever again, just the most vapid bullshit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought it was like some lovely fish out of water comedy, but no, it’s apparently a vegan documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm7Babs_FJU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh I was wondering why this tweet blew up

https://twitter.com/dearapriii/status/1286444719065698305?s=21

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

Remember when Hollywood optioned that Reddit post about a modern army unit time traveling back to ancient Rome? lol

What? That was a comic book.

Really weird and fun.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Odd. The comics came out in 2012. Huh.

Also here's a fun review of that Tom Hanks submarine movie: https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2020/07/10/worst-thing-youll-see-all-week-greyhound/

quote:

Greyhound, a Tom Hanks movie about an ill-fated destroyer captain trying to protect merchant ships from German U-boats in World War II, isn’t terrible because it’s historically loose and absurdly indifferent to realism. Actual World War II submarine combat would be a snooze-fest for people who watch Tom Hanks movies. Even more boring would be the perspective of the destroyer, which drives around and listens to the ocean and sometimes hucks giant bombs into the water. Destroyers aren’t even the ones getting shot at. So no one can blame a filmmaker for wanting to Hollywood it up a little, with submarines and destroyers firing broadsides at each other as if they were in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. With U-boats with actual wolves painted on their conning towers. With German captains prank calling the Allies to make wolf howling noises. Because wolf packs, you see. Not every submarine movie can be Das Boot, and not every submarine movie should be.

It’s also not terrible because Hanks seems to be phoning it in. He spends most of the movie passing orders down a chain of command, often over a literal phone. I suspect he’s trying to sound officious when relaying messages, but he instead sounds like someone doing a bad imitation of how robots are supposed to talk. That Mr. Rogers movie must have really taken it out of him. But Hanks’ flat performance actually works in the context of the movie, because this isn’t Sully. This is a guy who seems like he’s not very good at his job. Regardless of the historical incident, Greyhound portrays its hero as someone uncertain and morose who’d rather be somewhere else as German subs kill all his dudes. We can infer from some unnecessary scenes with Elizabeth Shue as his…daughter?…oops, nope, I called that wrong. We can infer from Elizabeth Shue as his soon-to-be-bethrothed where that somewhere else might be. The script does wag its finger at some plucky British destroyer captains who have a tendency to wander off, but it mostly comes down to a guy who can’t control his fleet and feels really bad about it. No wonder he talks like a robot.

What makes Greyhound a terrible movie is that it has no sense of how to be a movie. It has no structure. It is a series of poorly shot and edited action sequences, all indistinguishable from each other, separated only by brief scenes of Tom Hanks forgetting breakfast or being kind to a seaman or asking for his slippers. Then it’s right back to a bunch of random swooping CG of ships breaking through the waves shooting at something, intercut with Tom Hanks giving an order, quick shots of markings on navigational charts, and sometimes a little screentime for one of the younger actors to look scared or confused. Dramatic music explains that this is all very exciting, very tense. But because Greyhound has no idea how to tie it all together, and most conspicuously no idea how to integrate CG with live action, it just feels like a rough cut of a pitch for a movie. If you’re going to Hollywood it up, you have to know how to Hollywood.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can’t believe I’m gonna be watching camrips of a Christopher Nolan movie. Maybe it’ll be more immersive if I watch it in my VR headset so I can pretend I’m in the theatre

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Jet posted:

Resolutions on VR headsets are way too low right now, but in the future I could totally see it.

You would be thinking of first gen. The Rift S is a huge leap forward, I comfortably watched Into the Spiderverse on it at a similar level of clarity to most movie theatres, and when using it for flight sims like IL-2:GB I can comfortably read flight gauges. The next generation is right around the corner and will be an even greater leap in quality.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

Are you asking if she's a Fake Gamer Girl?

No. Other M is the most notoriously awful and sexist storyline of the Metroid games.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasqueradeOverture posted:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/john-wick-5-confirmed-by-lionsgate-sequel-will-be-shot-back-to-back-with-fourth-installment-1203006611/

"Keanu Reeves is back in the back-to-back sequels game with John Wick 4 and 5 aiming to film consecutively next year.

On today’s Lionsgate earnings call, the studio’s CEO John Feltheimer said, “We’re also busy preparing scripts for the next two installments of our John Wick action franchise, with John Wick 4 slated to hit theatres Memorial Day weekend 2022. We hope to shoot both John Wick 4 & 5 back to back when Keanu becomes available early next year.”

The sequel, John Wick 4, is currently scheduled for May 27, Memorial Day weekend."

Kinda sucks the "Will he die / won't he die" suspense from the next movie, but I'm game.

This well has been drained so dry already, it’s just sad to see. Should have stopped after 1.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The story was a lot better when it was all a big joke about a dude going on a revenge murder spree because his dog was killed.

Then it went entirely up its own rear end with nonsensical secret assassin fantasy world building and completely lost the plot. It’s just mediocre action porn that’s already been done better in other, better, movies, in some instances directly ripping them off I.e. The Villainess.

And after 3 it’s clear Keanu’s getting up in age and losing a step. Watching dudes run into frame and get judo thrown to death is just tiring.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherboxx posted:

Villainess has the same problems with nonsense plot as JW3, but amplified, and doesnt have good actors to cruise that nonsense

No way is it dumber than JW3, with all the jet setting, desert wandering, all the stupid lore around the Adjucator and the High Table, etc. which no amount of “acting” can save. It’s become so bloated and internally inconsistent that even the cast can’t keep it together, including a whole arc around cutting off Wick’s finger so he can kill his friend to get out of being excommunicado and then backs out of it at the last minute. It’s so inhuman and detached from any sort of serious emotional connection that it’s just set dressing to get to the action sequences.

Villainess is way more restrained about its secret assassin academy, sorry. It also helps that they didn’t make three of the drat things. The plot can get a bit convoluted but at least there’s some actual emotional weight, and character motivation between actual people with adversarial relationships, which highlights and grounds the climax, with a woman so motivated and pissed off that she’s riding on the hood of a car and driving it with an axe so she can catapult herself into a moving bus. Does the CGI budget start to run out around then? Sure.

But it’s something ambitious that you haven’t seen before, which beats the hell out of the guys from The Raid getting beat up or clowned on every time they show up in a Western made movie.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tars Tarkas posted:

This Korean scifi flick Space Sweepers looks cool as hell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp8a1DmAdAU

The Expanse meets Binary Domain was not a combination I was expecting, but I am pleasantly surprised.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/thefilmstage/status/1292663528919388161?s=21

Well this sucks lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

Saw a headline about a 47 Ronin "sequel" being developed and was really confused since, you know, everybody dies at the end. It turns out that it is a weird cyberpunk reimagining of the movie/original story and not actually a sequel.

That's hilarious. Still crossing my fingers for Ciri in 2077, since... y'know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinRDzEbqXc

Admittedly, one of my favorite trailers of all time.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ed Harris should have stuck to military/terror melodrama, judging by his performances from The Rock, an all time cinematic classic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or they just drop Watchmen forever and stop embarrassing themselves.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem with Watchmen is when they abandoned the kickass premise of life in the aftermath of the events of the original comic, and then proceeded to play standard capeshit games with the action figures of the OG Watchmen comic. Jesus fuckme, the climax was deciding which charismaless dickhead would steal the powers from the omnipotent god-being you couldn't possibly care about anymore. Just embarrassing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nolan rules, pseudo-intellectual film critics trying to prove they’re smarter than the material drool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dunkirk recreated the famous evacuation of apparently 5 soldiers from a nearly deserted beach using a handful of small boats. Truly epic in scale

Clearly he should have hired the Marvel CGI legions and made a big Vaseline glossy spectacle of it all. More explosions! More CG blood!