Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

Why did that become a meme anyway? Is it just because Zendaya's stage name was as ridiculous as her character's name was in Smallfoot or was there more to it?

White people think black people's names are funny, part XXXVII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Byzantine posted:

Godzilla 1998 is a far, far better American Godzilla than 2014.

I wanna hear this take, genuinely.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
I really think G98’s big misstep is going all Jurassic Park with the baby Zillas in the third act. Why assume everyone wants to see that instead of just focusing the film on mommy G with the possibility of babies as a teaser at the end?

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still like the idea that creating and preserving life is specifically a Dark Side power, while becoming a ghost is a Light Side one. The Sith try to stave off death desperately while the Jedi transcend it.

This is a great idea/theme that is also of course undermined by the sequel trilogy, where it is now a light side power to drain lifeforce from some people and give it to others.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
All the “reporters” concerned about this are white. What sort of white person secretly records clubhouse conversations by black speakers in primarily black chatrooms about black issues in the hopes of getting black people in trouble? Freak behavior.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Why does the new alone kid have a British accent? I feel like that makes him much more unlikable to American audiences.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Also, haven't seen this in here yet, and uh, its definitely special.

https://twitter.com/jennyyangtv/status/1448470198739111939?s=20

I know the main thing people are laughing about is the ridiculous name, but I hope this takes place in a world where all historical atrocities and horrors have been prevented already so the only thing to use time travel for is interpersonal drama.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is the only good part of Tenet. The people from the future hate us for their reasons, they are never fully explained, and they just loving hate us.

They hate us because they’re environmentalists who care about the future world, Protagonist states that the future has no right to anything because they do not exist and every resource should be consumed by the present. All Nolan villains are conservative boogeymen: Islamic terrorists, anarchists, communists, and drug-addicted moms who care more about their next fix than their kids.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is not at all what they say in the movie.

The future sucks so instead of changing the past for the better, they are going to destroy the past to save themselves through time travel stuff

Wrong.

Tenet posted:

PROTAGONIST
How can they want to destroy us?

SATOR (over phone)
Because their oceans rose and their rivers ran dry. Don’t you see –? Their world shrivelled because of us. They have no choice but to turn back, there’s no life ahead of them. And we’re responsible. Knowing this, do you still want me to stop?

PROTAGONIST
Yes. Each generation looks out for its own survival.

Later in that conversation Sator says:

Tenet posted:

SATOR
My greatest sin was to bring a son into a world I knew was ending... do you think God will forgive me?

Sator is a liberal who has learned about global warming or environmental destruction and become pessimistic and misanthropic due to it, ultimately planning for his own and human extinction. Protagonist argues that we owe no debt to the future, and that our consumption and waste were simply us looking after our own survival. The future faction, within the film, are not just genocidal but wrong: their plan cannot work because it didn’t by the time travel logic the movie establishes.

The film is arguing that imposing a carbon tax will cost people their lives, quality of life, not achieve anything anyway, and is not our moral duty regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Aglet56 posted:

Did they actually imply this? How would this even work? You travel backwards in real time so presumably you couldn't go back any farther than 80 years or so from your starting point because you'd die of old age. Plus you'd need inverted oxygen (and presumably inverted food and inverted water) the entire time.

This is not implied or said in the movie in any way, whatsoever. Your interpretation of why it is impossible is correct.