Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

is there a like in inception? If not my head canon says the theme music is VROOOOOP

Kinda blowing my mind that is also an ambigram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lid posted:

Dunkirk is a masterpiece.

Dunkirk recreated the famous evacuation of apparently 5 soldiers from a nearly deserted beach using a handful of small boats. Truly epic in scale

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

Clearly he should have hired the Marvel CGI legions and made a big Vaseline glossy spectacle of it all. More explosions! More CG blood!

If only there were some sort of middle ground. Like any one of the many movies which successfully depicted large groups of soldiers.

Like, did anyone watching Dunkirk really get the sense that 350,000 soldiers were evacuated from that beach?

As someone who enjoys pretty much every Nolan movie except Dunkirk a lot, it's still funny how quickly people rush to whiteknight his every directorial choice.

Hell, I'll probably do the exact same once I see Tenet so

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 23, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hakkesshu posted:

Tenet has big watch commercial energy

More than Ad Astra, possibly, but still not in the Bond league

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lobok posted:

On his planet it means die, everybody, DIE!

Nobody who speaks Apokolips-ian could be an evil man!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Codependent Poster posted:

Glass was loving boring and bad.

Glass was good, and The Visit was entertaining

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Disney keeps wasting the time of talented people ugh...
Such a fantastic powerful filmmaker and his next film is a live action lion king sequel? Gtfo

Yall studios better not try to make (with an enormous truck full of money) bong joon ho direct the next james bond or doctor strange or some similar stupid loving poo poo i would have liked at 8 years old

If he were a fantastic filmmaker he wouldn't be making a Lion King prequel, and if he were a powerful filmmaker he'd be able to make that Lion King prequel powerful.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

are you contending that it is not possible for a good filmmaker to make a bad film, not even once

honestly I just wanted to rile people up but I don't have any commitment to the bit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

ok i respect that

i was definitely pondering how many people would pass the test though, 5 features or more only

David Lynch, Denis Villeneuve, Debra Granik, Werner Herzog

E: the 5 features is a tough hurdle

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Agree to disagree on those.

Cuaron and DelToro work (Cuaron might have done a Harry Potter but it's the only good one)

Inarritu definitely not tho.

Fincher almost nails it but Alien 3 and Benjamin Button l, ehhhhh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Len posted:

Well according to our safety and compliance office back in July it was gonna go away any day now

[

Motherfucker would have been gramatically correct with either "imminent" or "immanent", but he went with "eminent" pffff

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I read Hillbilly Elegy and it's one of the reasons I'm a braindead moron now, real mind killing stuff.

Essentially he spends a couple hundred pages describing harrowing social deprivation (only white people count, but whatever), and then in the end he lands on his own unique version of Bootstraps Theory as a solution. It sucks poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Len posted:

Well that's certainly something to wake up to

not if you're Sean Connery

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can't call the French f**gs? I need to update my vocabulary of acceptable insults.

I mean I'm Irish and I don't especially care if people say "micks" or whatever, but it does make me assume you're a Trump supporter. I assume the same is true for French people and "frogs".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...huh?

the idea of getting up in arms about anti-french racism is amusing to me because french people do not face any kind of meaningful systemic oppression. french people are whitey. being called a "frog" or a "cheese-eating surrender monkey" is about the worst thing a french person will ever face as a result of their ethnicity in the wide bulk of the world.

meanwhile, anti-chinese racism, y'know, gets people killed and maimed when poo poo like COVID happens. bit more serious, that.

"oh no, people might be a jerk to me" from whitey looks, at best, extremely quaint when not-whitey's equivalent worry is "oh no, people might murder me in the street for not looking white enough."

85% of France is white, the other 15% are not. Is it important that you erase their existence to score some dumb point about "whitey"?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

their existence is not relevant to this discussion because they are not going to give the absolute faintest poo poo if you call them a "frog." if anything, they'll be very confused over that being what you went with.

because while they do face systemic oppression, the fact that they are French is not the loving reason why they face it. the people the slur "frog" is directed at are, in fact, the ones oppressing them.

like I'm back to wondering if this is some kind of elaborate joke now because there's no way this many of you are this dumb.

Your incredulity aside, I don't actually know that the average French person's approval of the lame slur "frog" has anything to do with their race. But you seem to have generated a mental landscape where all French people are white and you can sense their thoughts, so cool

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

this is the absolute dumbest rear end discourse i have ever seen, up there with the bodybuilding forum debating how many days there are in a week, and i'm pretty sure continuing to participate in it is going to give me CTE

The important thing is that you're definitely not mad, and that everyone but you is an idiot

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xealot posted:

What a confusing hill to die on.

Who's dying on it? By any objective standard there is precisely one poster deciding to have a meltdown for no real reason. I get it tho, this is silly season

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

crying shitlib tears

Please don't tell the other shitlibs that I cried

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Girl 2: Hypertall

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Young Freud posted:

Welp, Letitia Wright, Shuri from Black Panther, went off the rails on Twitter and revealed herself to be transphobic, homophobic antivaxxer, so I guess the best thing from that movie went to the grave.

She's doing a good run of 😂 replies but I don't believe she is actually crylaughing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doggles posted:

Lest we forget, Renner also has a budding music career.

https://twitter.com/danozzi/status/1144661740698796032

This is the most "Can I Borrow A Feeling?"-rear end poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mierenneuker posted:

A year I ago I caught S.W.A.T. on the telly and I was amazed to see him in a decently sized role.

Pretty sure he's like 5'7"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

There can be only Renner

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does he not actually have arms? Like Henry Cavill’s mustache in reverse?

His guns were distractingly big, like Willem Defoe's dilz

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

He broke his arms during filming I think. There are even points in the film you can see his broken arms and the CGI ones like some weird Goro.

I must watch this movie

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

Should be noted this is also from the same luminary who made The Life Zone, the anti-abortion horror movie that somehow had Robert Loggia playing Satan.

Doesn't Robert Loggia always play some brand of Satan? Especially in that infamous ad

E: guess I can't say that without a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8GMAW2mIvw

The mom is definitely banging Robert Loggia, and the way Robert Loggia turns up announced is strongly Satanic

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 9, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I know it was actually Michael Chiklis, but when I try to imagine Vic Mackey I just picture Dean Norris. Try it yourself, it's a fun game I like to call "Imagine Vic Mackey"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

Also, ban Greg Grunberg from getting within 10 km of the set.

Do people really care about this? A lot of directors have their "guy" (usually a guy, as it happens), and JJ at least keeps him to a minimal cameo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What if Batman hosed?

I'm the Fuckman

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hope they can snag Josh Gad to play Hinckley

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah should have gotten Eugene Levi

I mean you can put eyebrow merkins on a lot of actors that look more like him than Eugene Levy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched the movie Stuck because it had good reviews. It was very hard to watch.

Is that the one where the stepmom gets stuck taking clothes out of the dryer, and dad's away on business?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alhazred posted:

Why even cast Tim Curry if he's not doing a sexy song.

The one thing missing from It (1990) imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leavemywife posted:

True Lies is streaming on Amazon, and that might be my favorite Arnie movie, even counting Terminator 1 and 2 and Predator.

True Lies is cool but I can't gently caress with this

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eggnogium posted:

Naw, True Lies is completely brought to its knees by the interrogation and hotel room scenes. They play like a Lars von Trier reel spliced right into the middle of what is otherwise a fine action romp.

For me "Take off your nylons" is up there with "I'll be back", "Who is your daddy and what does he do?" or "The pump is as satisfying to me as cumming is, you know, as in having sex with a woman and cumming"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ruddiger posted:

I’m sure someone said the same thing about Robocop once too, since it’s just another piece of copaganda, unless you like, get it, man.

Robocop is very obvious satire

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

Triumph of the Will is ironic because at the end Leni points to them with her thumb and goes "what a bunch of nutters amirite?"

Yes, that's the same

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tars Tarkas posted:

Did anyone watch Soul? Is that worth the time?

its alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oompa-Loompa Chief: we have an army

Wonka [smirking]: oh yeah? We have a BFG.