Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leavemywife posted:

I didn't think it was that bad. The reveal at the end seemed...Well, ho lee gently caress was a pretty good summary. Up until that point, it was kind of a boring drama murder mystery.

I wouldn't call it a good twist, if that's what you're saying. It's the kind of twist that relies on plot holes and casts every character as either a complete idiot or a cartoonish nutjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, definitely not a good twist. I didn't mean to even imply that, my bad. It seemed to be there just for the shock of it. If any sort of seeds had been planted about it earlier, then it would have been better, but it's just so out of left field, it's like the ending of a different script was tacked on.

That's what I thought. I think Tyler Perry has gone off the deep end

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard before that Tyler Perry is awful but basically has a captive audience being the only filmmaker to acknowledge that middle-class black people exist.

Can't fault him for that, but I wouldn't complain if he relinquished his production company and fortune to Barry Jenkins

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Rogue One and the rest of the post-OT movies are loving garbage, personally

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
David Ayer is a huge piece of poo poo

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're a director you put what you love on screen, even if it makes the viewing audience intensely uncomfortable. Tarantino likes feet, Argento likes his daughter, Burton likes Depp, Trank likes poop. (In the case of Trank's previous work, he applied that principle more metaphorically)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a similar idea to quibi before I found out about it, except it involved the idea of "prestige" content, i.e. video essays and "serious" short films, and you subscribed to specific creators and not the service itself. Kind of like patreon/Kickstarter for short films. Also involved poaching creators from YouTube.

Now that I think about it, there might have been something like that a few years ago actually and I just completely forgot it existed. I remember them having a big old gently caress YouTube campaign and a lot of YouTube creators making think pieces in why they sucked

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They wrote bridge of spies which was directed by spielberg. It was fine

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

Also it's 4 hours long and being released as 30-minute episodes rather than a film.

Now you have my attention. $30 million is still ridiculous.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't really help the hateful eight but it's still an interesting decision

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first half (pre-intermission) of hateful eight is too long for what the second half ends up being. Put another way, the second half doesn't deliver on what the first half promises. Like it spends way too much time setting up so many interesting lines of conflict and social/power dynamics, and then Walter Goggins' character allies with Sam Jackson despite the latter's killing of the former's idol, which Tarantino completely glosses over in narration with "yeah they had an argument about it," and Channing Tatum shows up Shyamalan-ishly and with zero buildup.

He had a great premise and he completely bungled the landing. I wonder if the fact that the script got leaked really early had anything to do with how badly the plot tracks in the latter half.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catfishenfuego posted:

People on this subforum have a bizarre faith that white men who own multimillion dollar private jets and have histories of blatant bigotry are actually secret leftist comrades sticking it to the man.

By people I assume you mean one person, specifically SMG

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I just started watching it for the first time so I guess I'll be finding out soon enough

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Style posted:

[*]Cyborg is the heart of the movie - A lot of his stuff was cut from the theatrical version. Joss apparently hated him.

I can see why Whedon would not be a fan of Snyder's work, given that the former despises grimdark and can't help cheapening anything serious in his screenplays with a joke, but there's no evidence to suggest they didn't get along or even interacted with each other at all during the production of justice league

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Come And See posted:

Also the first line of dialogue out of a black man's character is asking a white woman if she's ever been raped.

Not the first, but certainly the most memorable, for all the wrong reasons

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Come And See posted:

Sorry, meant the first line out of that particular character. Final episode of the series, mysterious and competant bounty hunter jobs Nathan Fillion, we're a good chunk into the episode, tension is building and then... that.

Uh.... no, that scene is Juble Early's, like, fourth scene in that episode and he has dialogue in each of the three prior to that

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

a "prestige" IP that's responsible for between two and five of the greatest movies ever (depending on how charitable you are towards 3, Prometheus and Covenant)

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who ranks any of the ones you mentioned anywhere near the original or the sequel

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

a weirdly large number of people, especially on this subforum, rank 3 with the first two, and there's a decent minority of people who like the newer Ridley Scott movies as much. :shrug: the first two are the inarguable ones, but you'll find people going to bat pretty hard for all of the ones I mentioned if you look.

I guess this is just a really roundabout way of me saying that CD is full of insane maniacs

CelticPredator posted:

Sup mother fucker

I rest my case

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

Found him. Ian McEwan

spoken like a writer of realistic fiction

Alan Smithee posted:

he wrote Atonement which I bought as a kid bc the NYT told me to and never read it

that's my story

here's my story: I've been meaning to watch the film adaptation for a while, but now... I don't think I will. ~Fin~

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Their relationship made headlines when Middleditch told Playboy in a 2019 interview that they decided to open their marriage shortly after exchanging vows.

"Only after I got married was I like, 'Mollie, I'm sorry, but we have to get nontraditional here,'" he shared. "To her credit, instead of saying 'F--k you, I'm out,' she was like, 'Let's figure this out.' To be honest, swinging has saved our marriage."

Lmao

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwarzwald posted:

I almost think this is the wrong approach. Nerd media isn't fantasy or sci-fi or super hero stuff per se, it's what ever's popular primarily among kid's who get shoved into lockers.

The Adventures of Kitsune the Furry, in theatres fall 2040

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HannibalBarca posted:

At least the Kong Skull Island movie gave Sam Jackson and John Goodman stuff to do, instead of just wasting them like the Godzilla movies did with Charles Dance and Bryan Cranston (and Sally Hawkins and Juliette Binoche and David Strathairn and...)

Hmm, I think this thread is about due for its weekly discussion of how much godzilla 2014 sucks.

Hey guys, Godzilla 2014 loving sucks

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tars Tarkas posted:

Cinestate, which runs Rebeller and now owns Birth.Movies.Death (making this their second owner that is rape-friendly!)

Well that stinks

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

Seen in mentioned elsewhere: They posted it today, 6/9, or another way "69, dudes!"

And its release date is 8/21/2020, or 8+21+20+20= "69 dudes!"

heh, nice

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't believe I didn't remember that mcmurphy was in there for stat rape. I used to say the book was one of my all-time favorites.

Xealot posted:

Likewise Call Me By Your Name, honestly. Elio is a teenager and Oliver is at least 25, being a doctoral student. I literally imagine Indy’s backstory with Marion as a hetero version of that, happening in the 1920’s.

People didn’t care so much about that angle in CMBYN for more particular reasons (because people are starved for LGBT representation, and honestly because teenage boys of all orientations are less likely to be viewed as “victims” in these kinds of scenarios), but it’s surprising how normative that poo poo is in older movies.

Not just the time-honored tradition of 40+ leading men being paired with 20-year-old ingenues, but scoundrel “ladies man” characters going after teen girls and that being celebrated as fun-loving or vivacious.

yeesh. I was planning on watching that, but now...

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
casey affleck should be under a sheet all the time tbqh

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a ghost story sucked unforch, I was hyped and everything

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked warm bodies

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tars Tarkas posted:

I've not been as active as usual in this thread because we're going to have a baby

We are?!?!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they make a Warcraft sequel you know he's on that poo poo like butter on bread

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Ennio morricone has left the mortal coil at age 91.

I cant decide what to watch in tribute

The Hateful Eight lmao

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and who says Theron can't have a cameo during a flash-forward within the prequel's narrative

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...why does Leto keep getting opportunities like that, anyways?

like, I genuinely don't think he's a bad actor, he's been fine-to-great in everything I've seen him in except Blade Runner 2049 (and there, he was clearly just a really loving bad fit for the part, and it made huge amounts of sense when I found out that Niander Wallace was written for Bowie instead).

but also, like, everyone on planet earth hates him. it doesn't matter how good of an actor someone is, if their very presence in a movie will inherently make it get worse reactions and make less money. i genuinely do not understand why he's still getting considered for these parts unless he has, like, some film execs' Epstein tapes or something.

It's be really great if he just stopped appearing in movies, I think I've had enough Jared Leto for a lifetime

that said I thought he was really good in br2049. The fact that the part was written for Bowie makes me really sad though, that would have been amazing

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenMedium posted:

The only thing Jared Leto should be cast in is a volcano.

lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My friends dragged me to it and i still kinda wish i could confront rdj and shake him down for the ticket price)

My brother called me last month claiming to have seen him at a gas station and the first thing I said was "tell him to apologize for iron man 3"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m seeing an insane number of quibi ads on Facebook

Codependent Poster posted:

I saw an article that said after the 3 month trial expired, Quibi now has only 72,000 paying users.

It's like when a star goes supernova. The company is producing an increased number of ads like so many torrents of cosmic dust and radiation, but soon enough it will become a husk of its former self, until all that's left is a white dwarf (katzenburg)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys heard of this thing called Money Plane? Idk what it is but I hear its all the rage these days

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hmm, I can see this working but only if they use the original actors and de-age them horribly, maybe bring in some of the dead actors too as expressionless CGI abominations. then maybe it has potential

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

But is the 2005 film Earthlings featuring narration from Joaquin Phoenix actually any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

“Mr President the hostage taker demands that you gently caress a pig on camera”

“If it means saving lives I’ll do it”

“There’s one other thing. He wants you to promote Cats”

“No....there are some things I will not do”

Who's the real terrorist, the guy with the gun and intent to kill or the guy who claims Cats was good on national television