Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darthemed posted:

Hogan had Santa with Muscles, Mr. Nanny, and Thunder in Paradise.
Dude, how do you list all those but leave out the brilliance that is SUBURBAN COMMANDO (originally what Devito and Ahnuld were signed on for before the Twins script happened).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tars Tarkas posted:

THere is a huge post on a Star Wars subreddit with a bunch of information on a supposed different version of Rise of Skywalker that existed before Disney interference...
I read about that earlier this afternoon and, even if it's complete fanwank, the extent to which Boyega and Isaacs are just throwing piles of manure over the production is absolutely insane and unheard of.

Only thing that compares is RPat being completely vocal about his hate for Twilight.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

What did isaacs say?
Said FinnxPoe should have been a thing, wished they had just killed him off in the first 20 of TFA since his character did nothing the rest of the films, was so burned out he's taking a year off from acting.

It's really astounding how they're not even pretending to give a gently caress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pirate Jet posted:

What were the dumber choices in TLJ?
Everyone hated Canto Blight, Del Toro's subplot (while having lota of legs) doesn't really have ramifications and he's too distracting in his mannerisms, Poe needing a sacrifice to be like "ok drat no she knew what was up".

Some people didn't like that it picked up right where TFA left off so there's less of that filling in of the world while we were waiting -- (like how ESB clearly shows poo poo's been going on since ANH)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ALFbrot posted:

Del Toro's subplot directly leads to the transport ships being detected and exploded en masse
I completely forgot about that and Evil BB8.

But I meant more the "oh yeah, we sell arms to both sides. Who do you think builds Xwings and TIE Fighters" thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
HH-1488

His memory subroutines can only accommodate 14 words at a time, sadly.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They need the numbers to juice figures, I bet. Can't have a year when they lose seats in butts after all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sleeveless posted:

when they realized the titular Mother was Mother Earth and
Lol this guy read the wiki entry for the film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A24 puts out very weird poo poo and I'm happy there's someone out there that's just burning money to be interesting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Len posted:

It was the only good part of the movie but it crossed a fine line between horror and right into slapstick
I liked that ending part. Assuming you're talking about the headless corpse floating up into the attic like it was being held by a child?.

It's totally hilarious and disquieting and after that ramp it's just a total what the gently caress moment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Avatar land opened in Epcot and it far, far outdid Galaxy's Edge in popularity so yeah apparently so.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:argh:Marvel Disney is ruining cinema! Bland overproduced pablum!!

:v: I like what A24 does it's usually quirky or off the beaten path.

:argh: Corporate stooge!

Iron Crowned posted:

Did they also require you to pre-register and limit your time, and prevent the employees from visiting like they did with Galaxy's Edge?
No but iirc the rented Avatar suits started getting funky after a day or tw

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
For Avatar 3 we journey to a space colony where one of the Na'a'vi gets a human Avatar suit!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, reminds me... been said that the first two Predator movies are basically the Predator intruding on what would have been a pretty standard 80s action movie (complete with exactly the appropriate cast) and then an action-packed buddy cop movie that suddenly find themselves having to deal with a superpowered alien.

I'm not sure what the modern equivalent would be.
Until Dawn, the excellent horror game for this gen.

Which basically is a "College kids at a remote winter cabin get picked off by a mysterious assailant" that swerves and SPOILERS the "killer" is one of their own group, exacting revenge for the death of his sister years earlier. But shortly after this you find out that there's a real, flesh-eating Wendigo to contend with and it goes from Jason/Meyers killstalker with some Saw traps to a full-on supernatural horror game.

Feldegast42 posted:

Avatar in 3D was legit one of the coolest things I've seen in my life, it was a hell of a tech demo. Don't remember anything else about it though!
I don't really remember it being that amazing and I'm probably just numbed by all the 3D conversions.

Also:
James Cameron: I spent millions of dollars and man hours to research and perfect a true 3D camera so that directors can truely harness the power of depth in films to achieve their vision and draw audiences into these worlds.

:downs: we just have a computer do it and it's easier

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Patch notes:
- reduced the Alita Effect. Navi eyes are now 15% less childlike
- re-enabled the "sexual characteristics" option. Navi breasts, nipples, cloavulvulae and pseudopenii are now viewable
- shortened cutscene leading to final battle due to song rights expiring

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mierenneuker posted:

"Okay, so the first suggestion is...."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
AI predicts Batman vs the Marvel Universe League is a hit!

Story and cinematography by Snyder. Directed by Villeneuve

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nroo posted:

Wasn't there a Netflix miniseries actually written by an algorithm or did I just imagine that
They let an AI cut a trailer of Ex Machina, I think.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, I appreciate it having the sheer granite balls to
Not just that, but also to commit to the brutality of their Heavenside Layer bit by going "oh, that flawed but sympathetic character with a link to the Dr? yeah she's in a bunch of jars here like Cain from Robocop 2, k have fun going up girl.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The bits with doc hunting droids was sci-fi bloodborne

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Back when ThinkGeek was a website with useful niche things
I regret not getting the Blade Runner umbrella for myself. Gave it to a friend instead.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Catfishenfuego posted:

The most interesting thing about Dr. Strange is that about 80% of the bad guys in action scenes are taken out by slapstick accidents. It's a weird, goofy tone.
It's a story about a white guy failing upwards.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The chatter a year or so back was that Bad Boys was being viewed as a way to launch a multicultural Bad Girls spinoff. Haven't seen the film so how much of that got to the final draft?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well at least it won't revive the "Smith was the real One " debate

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

in most cases the director was basically being told to somehow turn 3 paragraphs of text and a bunch of 2-D sprites into a feature film.
Double Dragon was crazy.

"Gang steals dude's girlfriend" = "in a Los Angeles ravaged by toxic waste and gang rule, two brothers unlock a mystical medallion and become magic dragon ninjas"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Brother Entropy posted:

see, that sounds infinitely more watchable
Yeah, on paper it sounds every bit as nuts as Mario Bros the Movie.

In practice... :butt:

Remember when Wing Commander was the most faithful and best adaptation of a VG property? Remember?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The recent games play it the other way where the evil idiot corporation tapping Hell for energy ends up gradually losing the pretence for being a demon cult sacrificing its employees for power
The flavortext from the game was really fun. poo poo like "we sent a group of pathfinders into the Bloodmines and they made it about 30 feet before being driven insane and subsequently turned into hideous zombie beasts. We recommend a Level-Cain psyonic shield before attempting re-entry" to "Praise Niergitol of the Hated Ire, the sacrifice of 20 Agrent-techs may yet inspire more madness in their ranks, we have etched the Silent Word into their computers in the hopes that they are revealed the truth"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

This bullshit in all media that everyone is connected and gosh the hero who started has a nobody is actually the secret nephew of previous hero is some reactionary monarchist bullshit.
Not only is the hero special, his entire bloodline to the 10th generation is special.its escapism fantasy for failsons.
That's one of the worst things to happen to series that run on too long and it's terrible that they narrow the scope of the world so much by relying on it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hated the intentional flaw thing because it really easily could have been "I hid the schematics in a random file. It's the only hope you have in finding a weakness"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yoshiki did a world tour playing X Japan music that was orchestrated instead of hard-rock stuff not too long ago.

Seems like a fun guy all in all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

the VFX guys didn't even have to use the de-cracking plugin
Holy poo poo :master:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The MSJ posted:

If you count that...
Yeah the Flarrowverse was making pretty much any DC media part of the multiverse. I.e. the picture of Keaton Bat Wayne in a newspaper with "GOTHAM SOCIALITE TO WED SELINA KYLE" on it.

I bet they would have folded BTAS, JLU, and SuperFriends in if they had the time and money.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oldie but goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ppJOkuPLs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, people just memoryhole'd teledildonics, didn't they?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

it's like a cyber word we came up with in the 90s

it might literally be that
It literally is

Uhhh, :nws: warning but we're all at home right

AIM chat but for your dick.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Frankenstein's a really great look at post-partum depression, I think. As well as a woman taking down all the Natural Sciences men that were high on peering into the veil of the natural world and whatever bullshit else they thought.

But god, what a knob. District 9 was only like 10 years ago...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Harlan Ellison famously raged when he wasn't called a writer of speculative fiction.

There was also some hack in an old Penny Arcade post that was like (paraphrased) "that word, elf... you insult me with such a narrowminded description of my work. Frankly you aren't equipped to understand my writing. It is not merely "fantasy" it is worldbuilding"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Safety Factor posted:

Was this Rothfuss or something? :lol:
God I don't know. I wish I could find that post again. It was from an external interview, too.

Ok so I can't find the PA newspost but I'm 90% sure it's from this interview and the Douche in question was Terry Goodkind

Some choice bits:

interview posted:

Weymouth, MA: In your opinion who is the most must-read, cutting edge writer publishing today?

Terry Goodkind: Ayn Rand

Haddonfield, NJ: Second Question - I've noticed similarities between your Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...(Black Sisterhood vs. Black Ajah; The Order vs. The Seanchan; Richard vs. Rand both discovering their powers, both have Nameless evil Gods...etc.) I've often voiced my suspicion that these two series might be occurring on the same world...how crazy am I?

Terry Goodkind: If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.

Kansas City, KS: What made you choose to leave out other common races(dwarves, elves, etc) from your books?

Terry Goodkind: Please refer to the previous answer, in which I explain that I'm not writing fantasy ... My purpose is not weirdo cultural diversity. I repeat: I am writing stories about important human beings.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember when that story first hit and wondering if he'd ever looked in a mirror before.
Yeah boy was swinging way, way out of his weight class there.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 2, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kirk Cameron was just ahead of the game, my man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsieurChoc posted:

Henry Cavill as Kitten.
Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagan with Tom Holland as Shimon, Cavill as Kamiya, and Emma Stone as Yoko, and Michael B. Jordan as Kitan.