Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

feedmyleg posted:

Which, I'm guessing, is why they named the film Birds of Prey to further divorce it from that film. But it looks like WB thinks "Fantabulous" is what's turned people off, rather than the film's clear connection to that other awful looking film which was critically reviled. To some degree they're probably right—like 5% of the missing 50% of its audience potential probably read that with the same eye-roll as someone using "amazeballs" in 2020. But the other 20% they lost to outright misogyny and 25% to people finding Harley Quinn obnoxious so they were kinda screwed from the get-go.

If they were gonna throw away their Harley Quinn solo film dollars on something, it should've been a lesbian Harley/Ivy teamup movie with a proper foil for Harley's wackiness.

Harley is popular enough with comic fans (especially gen x and younger) that it was probably something they had to try but yeah they really stacked the deck against themselves. Even the decision to go the week between the super bowl and Valentine's day which has to be a major death week of entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sonic movie was not bad, but so many of those trailers were a whole mess of "Who Greenlit this?" What stands out most is the Scooby Doo reboot. I guess I didn't even like Scooby Doo when I was a kid but drat is that trailer terrible and long and do they really think that what is missing from that show was faux-sentimentality? Also the new Minions movie looks loving awful but I know why they greenlit that, because people are idiots, but it's going to suck when like half the Olympics commercials are for either Mike Bloomberg or Minions 3.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The local indy theater has closed but Cinemark seems to proceeding forward without any restrictions.

E: they are cutting staff with no pay though due to low attendance.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

So far haven't heard anything from Cinemark, which is weird because aren't they fairly big?

Per the movie theater employee subreddit they are doing nothing but cutting staff’s hours unpaid due to slower demand.

It could be fake but it wouldn’t be shocking to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Today could be a great time to bring back drive-in theatres.

I wish. I would never see things I REALLY wanted to see in there but three or four times a year anyway, it was always a fun night.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

My Twitter Account posted:

The first movie I ever saw was at a drive-in. My dad took me to see the 1984 re-release of the 1967 The Jungle Book.

edit: there was one near my college where I once saw a double-feature of U-571 (which I remember absolutely nothing about) and The Skulls (which was more fun and I should watch again).

I was apparently a quiet baby so I don't remember the first movie I went to but I remember the first movie I saw alone, my mom brought me to movie theater in the middle of the day to watch Benji: The Hunted and dipped for some reason. That movie has a G rating but the wolf scared the gently caress out of me. Not a great experience.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah Portrait of a Lady on Fire is a good one to go out on. It probably would've been Onward if I had been in a better mood last weekend.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Strontosaurus posted:

Nobody cares what the last movie you saw in theaters was.

I'm sorry. I hope we're still friends.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I will always care about the last movie you saw Mr. Rick.

Thank you, it means a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

That sucks, I wish I lived in a place where the only AMC wasn't a 30 minute drive away because A-list seems like a better deal overall than Cinemark's thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

As someone who hasnt read any of this guy's books or knows much about him i just read the plot for this in its wiki and its amazing in the worst stupidest way
It's like if kim stanley robinson had to headbutt harry turtledove 8000 times and then immediately write down plot ideas without any concussion protocol

Kim Stanley Robinson is cool, he spoke to my class in college and laughed at a joke I made (and the fact I felt comfortable being funny in front of a famous person speaks to how chill he was).

As an aside.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat all those TMNT rip off mentions and no Sewer Sharks. My poor stepbrother would be so hurting right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I watched Bridge on the River Kwai for the fist time a few months back knowing little besides there's a bridge on the river Kwai and Alec Guinness was in it, and for the first hour or so I really disliked it. Given that it was a war movie made barely a decade after the end of the war it depicts, I was expecting an entertaining puff piece about the pluck and ingenuity of Our Boys and I was so resistant to the idea that a movie from that time would have such a complex portrayal of war and such a flawed, short-sighted protagonist that I thought it was just bad at being a dumb war movie. It took me a while to get over that hurdle, but drat is it a great film.

I think my first viewing had similar resistance but I think it legitimately is one of the best war movies, still.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I didn't love the Seinfeld ending at first but it has really grown on me over the years. The bit at the end where they start having a conversation from the first episode again is a nice touch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
EXT. IN FANCY HOTEL DRIVEWAY
JAMES BOND drives his million dollar spy car Aston Martin to roundabout in front of the hotel. He hands the keys to the VALET who is in shadows but feels vaguely familiar. There's something vaguely familiar about him.
James Bond: I've heard this place is one of the most luxurious hotels in the world. I, a world renowned business man, and, not a famous spy, am here to sample the height of luxury and rub elbows with some of the world's most important people.
VALET: GWARSH mister, that's kind of you to say, HYUCK. I hope you enjoy your stay at the Grand Floridian, the premiere vacation spot at the Disney World resort. Now I'm gonna park this beautiful au-tow-moe-beal for ya.
The valet, revealed to be GOOFY, hops into the Aston Martin and immediately accidentally hits the ejector seat button.
Goofy's signature version of the Wilhelm Scream is heard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im cool enough with Avatar but one day...one day...all this arguing will be over and goons will be able to concede 300 is a racist fascist film and not just go "no man you dont get it, ur stupid, it's not racist and fascist, it's from the pov of racists and fascists!!"

Frank Miller making his viewpoints so well known makes it pretty difficult to defend a "from the POV."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I need to see this thread

All he ever does is ask if there is any shrimp on the barbie and for me to get him a Fosters, but, well, the sex is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not an expert on crowd funding, but some of those prices seem way overvalued.

At least it's giving me some ideas for my future crowdfunding ventures.

There are films that will give you a producer credit for as little as $1 on kickstarter!