Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I legitimately had no idea it was R until the opinion articles about why it failed came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

You can’t just leave it there what happens next

Does he regenerate his arm

Nope. Luckily, Special Beam Cannon only requires one arm and two fingers!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ow

also Bojack Horseman absolutely had tech services nailed with whattimeisitrightnow.com

I pressed play on this trailer and the first CC had the words "avocado toast" in it, and immediately paused and shook my head.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Can’t believe I’m gonna be watching camrips of a Christopher Nolan movie. Maybe it’ll be more immersive if I watch it in my VR headset so I can pretend I’m in the theatre

A VR movie theatre experience sounds like both a terrible idea and one some people might oddly be into. If it doesn't already exist.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/murderwizard/status/1291399548498317319

This is so stupid, unnecessary, and revealing.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Davros1 posted:

That's one of my favorite fight scenes. One of the things I love about the way Jackie choreographs his fight scenes is how much work he puts into them to make them look and feel spontaneous. A lot of movies have awesome action and fight scenes, but there's still a sense of rehearsal and plotting behind them. Jackie has a wonderful way of making the viewer feel like it was unplanned and off the cuff.

This was one of those moves that had the--for lack of a better term--blooper reel at the end, and I believe footage of Jackie getting carted off to the hospital/getting hurt in various ways. Same for the movie Chocolate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_(2008_film)).

It's fascinating and horrifying: you can tell how much effort they put into doing stunts in these movies, and things looks real because they kinda are..

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fartbox posted:

Heroes was super popular when it first aired. Then it continued and just started sucking more and more and more and somehow, more

Heroes was mega poplar when it first started airing. To the point that I decided to binge the first 20 or whatever episodes leading up to the season finale.

The season 1 finale really sucked. It tied up some plot threads in a somewhat satisfying way, but the major battle they had been building towards the entire season happens as flashing colors off-screen. I remember seeing so many social media posts and articles about how disappointing it was.

Then the writer's strike happened, and the few fans that stuck with it got treated to a bunch of plot lines and characters in a short season 2 that ultimately didn't matter, or in some cases got retconned in season 3.

It was a mess.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's cool and the sort of thing I'm talking about. There should have been more of that. a less subtle version that I'm thinking about is in Arrested Development when Buster runs away from home by hiding in Lupe's car, she says something about "retardo" but it's captioned as "now I must take care of Buster."

As a side note, Arrested Development really hasn't aged well.

Very few things from the 2000s have aged well, noted by missing episodes on Peacock and elsewhere, lol.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I think I'm down to hearing maybe 2 or 3 Borat references per year now, and 2 out of 3 are ironic.

Please god no.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQkiwBVexNU

In case you're wondering like I was when you saw "Box Office Smash Hit":

Box Office Mojo posted:

Grosses
DOMESTIC (49.3%)
$100,044,905
INTERNATIONAL (50.7%)
$103,000,000
WORLDWIDE
$203,044,905

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Are there any prequels that really worked? That were received as well as--if not better than--the original? I am having a difficult time thinking of one.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Speaking of commercials, I've started seeing ads for Tenet in theatres on Youtube. Which isn't strange in and of itself, but I'm surprised they bothered to record voice lines for specific cities; this ad was like, "SEATTLE, the wait is over."

The wait will be longer if y'all don't quit with this nonsense.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I feel like this is one of those cases where millennial nostalgia, memes, and something very memorable (Quad City DJ's Space Jam) combined to create the perception of something that never was: Space Jam as a good movie adored by all.

Even as a kid, I thought "drat, Michael Jordan can't act."

Prowler
May 24, 2004

The Wiki page for Back in Action is hilarious. I forgot this movie existed, let alone that it starred Brendan Fraser, and how many times it changed....

I remember hearing the Duck Dodgers tv series that followed was good.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I would love a Leto Joker movie. Wouldn't watch it, of course, but the culture war and internet panic over it would be delightful.

Please...just.. no more Joker. Even Mark Hamill joker would be too much at this point.

It's too bad it's impossible to do a sympathetic Mr. Freeze at this point.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Comparing an entire group of people that you do not like--nationality, ethnicity, whatever--to an animal is literally dehumanizing that group of people. Is it as egregious as saying the n-word or using "gay" as pejorative? No, but people spend a lot of effort trying to justify the latter as liberalism gone amok. Which seems familiar to this issue.

Here's a thought: maybe just don't refer to groups of people as animals, since it is possibly the most classic form of racism. It may not seem racist in context, and it may not mean you're racist, but it definitely makes you seem like a dick.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Why did so many kid's movies in the 80's and early 90's involve orphans?

Because it is a such an easy way to provide motivation, conflict, drama, and a happy ending.

Similarly, there were a boat load of kids movies that involve absent parents (mostly absent fathers who work too much to show up for the kid's sports game). Bad parents or no parents are like a narrative shortcut.
Edit for examples off the top of my head: Angels in the Outfield, Liar Liar, Hook. Angels in the Outfield had both an estranged parent and an orphan, which is amazing.

Those two tropes are closely followed by the, "never met parents/parents died young, was raised by nice people who reveal this information to the kid, kid finds out their parents were special and so are they" trope.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 17, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

The Austin Powers series was also a weird outlier. While the first movie didn't exactly flop it certainly didn't blow up the charts. It didn't find an audience until it went to home video and then the second was a massive success.

I loved the first movie and was immensely disappointed in the second: it reused so many jokes it felt like like they didn't even try. For as much poo poo as the third one gets, I found it it better than 2 simply because at least it was fairly original, comparatively, and had a lot of good gags that weren't poop jokes.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

They probably learnt that one from video games. It's a lot less ridiculous to buy 'Call of Duty, Black ops 4' that admit that you're buying Call of Duty 15. But if you're not careful, you end up with Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

The way Call of Duty works, with it's 4-5 development teams and two main title series (Black Ops and Modern Warfare), it honestly is more akin to the Marvel Universe.

Really, if we're talking a lack of ability to take hints from what worked in previous installments and obtain actual story/franchise cohesion, releasing things as planned without huge technical hiccups and mistakes-- let's say the Fox X-men universe.

Actually, this kinda tracks. There's X-Men 1-3, the "modern warfare" timeline, and X-Men: Past Hijinks, the "Black Ops" timeline.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 25, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDominic/status/1333694835669123073

Prowler
May 24, 2004

MH Knights posted:

You mean the woman who breaths through her skin so she has to wear a string bikini 24/7 which also makes her gyrate like a stripper and she can't speak otherwise she will kill everyone? (Note: Male characters who breath through their skin can wear clothes just fine.)

What about death robots that prance around like ballerinas while making mooing sounds?

I remember seeing a picture of a very scantily clad sniper(?) from a newer MGS and some tweet or article claiming the reason behind the outfit is "powerful" or some poo poo like that. If it is the same character, it's more ridiculous than I thought!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

That might have been a quote from Kojima, the guy who made the game who tweeted that "once you recognize the reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds."

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, that’s her.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did you regret your words and deeds? :v:

Oh my God it's even more ridiculous than I remembered.

For some reason, this immediately made me think of David Cage; but we've already had that discussion here.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Gatts posted:

This is a thing in India/Pakistan. Whiteness of skin is preferred. Take a look at bridal make up. They also don’t regard black people as well.

Colorism is a huge thing worldwide thanks to colonialism.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

MH Knights posted:

My problem with James Cameron's Avatar is that it is a by the numbers White Savior narrative with heavy Noble Savage elements as well.

Thank you.

I found the story cliche, boring, and exhausting. I enjoyed the 3D before it eventually gave me motion sickness and a migraine, and the cinematography was great. But the poo poo was trite as hell. I hate this idea that because something is popular and made over a billion dollars, it must mean if someone dislikes it, they're just being contrarian.

I think Grown Ups 1 & 2 were lovely, unfunny movies. But, combined, the films raked in $500 million.

You cannot deny that Avatar had a large cultural impact based on how often it was referenced, how many people went and saw it in theatres, the impact on 3d movies, etc. How much that carries forward into the sequels is questionable. And a million billion dollars doesn't automatically make it a good movie for everyone.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

No they’ve actually been selling off parts for awhile now. I know they sold Crunchyroll to Sony a week or two ago.

Actually didn't know Sony owned Funimation.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

BEST PICTURE CHERK

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Doesn't Justice League count as a followup to Batman: The Animated Series? The origin episodes weren't that great, but the series itself was (in my opinion) very well written and fun, with a lot of the witticisms you'd expect from an Avengers movie.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

The DCAU includes:

Batman TAS
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Superman TAS
The New Adventures of Batman & Robin
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
Static Shock
The Zeta Project
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman & Harley Quinn
Justice League vs The Fatal Five
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

I'm speaking about television shows/ongoing series, not the entirety of the DCAU. If you include the movies, the list goes on forever.

Here's a list, excluding everything before Batman: TAS.

Batman: The Animated Series
Superman: The Animated Series
The New Adventures of Batman & Robin
Static Shock
The Zeta Project
Batman Beyond
Justice League (Unlimited is considered season 3 and 4)

After the WB run:

The Batman
Teen Titan
Teen Titans Go
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Krypto: The Super Dog
Batman: The Animated Series
Young Justice
Legion of Super Heroes
Beware the Batman
Harley Quinn

The DCAU has always been much more expansive than Marvel's. Marvel cartoons, for the most part, were kinda bad or low effort (Spider-Man and X-Men, contemporaries of Batman: TAS, had god awful animation and voice acting, for example).

I guess the answer to my question is actually "Superman: TAS." Which was boring, IMO.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This isn't a fair example and you know it! (I didn't even watch this series that much and I can almost quote this word for word. I have issues.)

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

None of the stuff you listed is in continuity with what I listed, and none of the other DC animated movies I didn't list are either. What I posted is, minus a few shorts like Catch Me, the complete DCAU.

What the heck, I didn't know that was the specific name for the ones with continuity--I thought it was the generic title for their animated products. Whoops.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Alhazred posted:

It's so weird how every dystopia has to have some sort of game that's hugely important to participate in.

A great way to sedate and/or manipulate the masses with little resistance is to find a sport with a lot of conflict/violence. It encourages loyalty to a team, which can increase local pride/nationalism. As long as your sports stars are not political.

It is definitely overused, but I understand why. It's an easy framework for driving conflict.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 31, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In somewhat-related-to-movies news:

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1349023307228704770

Prowler
May 24, 2004

My enjoyment of movies where there is a massive, walking disaster against which normal military intervention doesn't work is based on how much focus is kept on the human leads (and how annoying they are). Surprise, I don't give a poo poo whether or not the father-son strained relationship is resolved symbolically at the end! I want to see the giant fuckin' monsters.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

People unironically dressing as clowns and calling themselves Joker is definitely not what I expected after the success of the IT remake.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s kind of a stretch to call them ‘evil’ in that movie and that quote is talking about The Batman which isn’t out yet

Yeah, I am curious myself.

Will they be evil in the "the reason why Gotham is so poor is because we own all the local industry and pay our workers like poo poo, but we do a lot of philanthropy and have a good PR department" kind of way? Or evil in the "Thomas Wayne was literally a murdering sociopath crime boss who managed to keep his reputation clean as he took over Gotham"?

Granted, the two options I've presented are pretty similar. Has Wayne Corp. ever been presented heavily as a multinational corporation in the same way Stark Industries is?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Vandar posted:

DC's already got you covered.

The animated movie version of Thomas Wayne as Batman is an alcoholic dick and uses guns.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The more I learn about Whedon, the worse all the brothel and sex-selling stuff in his latter works bothers me, and I didn’t like it to start with. That’s all going to be read as a huge confession eventually. His tv career ended with a show about plucky, heroic human traffickers and nobody was really that bothered by it at the time.

At the very least, it is where the cracks started to show. I watched Dollhouse mostly so I could be up to date on a Joss Whedon show (and relate to my friends who loved all his stuff). Not being as well liked as his other efforts, even one of my friends who was a pretty big fan couldn't defend the concept.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In High School, we watched several movies. In one class, 9th grade political science taught by the male coach of the girl's soccer team (who later got shuffled around to a different school for reasons you can guess), and 10th grade World History (taught by--a coach? Either way, he ALSO got shuffled around because he showed up to a high school party), we watched a bunch of Disney movies (Bug's Life, Toy Story, Tarzan, a bunch of the older ones as well). My senior year, the girls in our AP English class were allowed to lead a "MAN WEEK" since our class had a larger focus on female authors.

We watched clips from from Gladiator, Fight Club, and a few other PG-13 and R movies.

MAN WEEK lasted a day.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Have you never made a friend tier list? That's weird. Make your own tier list at tiermaker.com!

---

Have all of the movies that were delayed in 2020 been released in some fashion in 2021? Could this thread officially become the 2021 who greenlighted thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

The press was stupid, but no one can deny that both the articles and the movie did succeed in making some of the most annoying people out there even more annoying by identifying the Joker as a counter-culture symbol for "society's outcasts," instead of a murderous psycho cartoon clown with no redeeming qualities.

Personally, I had no interest in watching Joker because I was sick of the character, and dismissed it when I heard two Joker-related titles were in production a few years ago.