Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Jesus posted:

I enjoyed the body horror elements in Alita. Always fun to see them in a family film.

It wouldn't take much to reframe Alita as a scifi horror film with Alita as the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
how am I the first person to mention Hugo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

I watched a few episodes of Bonanza recently. It was a lot of fun, and they had episodic storytelling down to a science, but it might as well be a science-fiction/fantasy show for how much its world resembled the historical frontier.

I think calling Bonanza a western, while true, isn't necessarily descriptive. It was a show of a certain formula, and while many shows of that type were set in the west it was by no means a given. Daniel Boone (1964) was set the not-quite-western-frontier of Kentucky, and the earlier Robin Hood (1955) was set in the not-a-frontier-of-any-sort of England.

And as far as "might as well be science-fiction," Star Trek was marketed as "a wagon train to the stars."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beachcomber posted:

Long story short, the director, deliberately or not, framed the Autobots as lying genocidal psychopaths. At least as far as I understand that argument.

https://twitter.com/PaperPlaneTF/status/1148651148582227974

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pigbuster posted:

And one of those is going to specifically be the worst movie ever, if he keeps his promise.

I am a little curious what an effortful bad movie of his would be.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GrandpaPants posted:

Because now we have the technology to turn the cast into cats.

Hollywood is 20 years behind DeviantArt.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Isn't quibi the fake Scrabble word from that one Simpson's episode?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Groovelord Neato posted:

I have it on good authority that after the bombs drop a very powerful gang will model themselves after the King.

I hear he still reigns in Lost Vegas.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alan Smithee posted:

it actually owns?

it sucks, but it's the good kind of suck

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Flintstones comic was criminally overlooked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GrandpaPants posted:

Was color out of space actually good?

Yes, it was solid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In this coming of age movie our protagonist

Loses both of their parents
Goes on an arduous journey both physical and spiritual
Finds the love of their life and starts a relationship with them
Figures out their true calling and starts working at it
Achieves complete emotional maturity and a new understanding of life
Turns 19

replace the last one with "turns 12" and that's just the story arc of a fairy tale

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i don't really see the comparison if you know literally anything about Hitler's life.

Though weirdly enough I can't help but think of NGE with Ender basically being the closest counterpart to Shinji.

Yeah. Ender was a kid conditioned to hurt people at the behest of his handlers, whose act of rebellion through malicious compliance played into their hands, tragically.

You might be better off trying to make a comparison with the Hitler Youth.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 8, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Flying Zamboni posted:

And both his arms came off.

Big deal. That's every toy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

Despite the really obvious visual imagery of the sperm going in the egg thing when he's telling the story, everyone at Lucasfilm has denied it being the case. :shrug:

All the birth symbolism is meant to drive home that Anakin feels guilty for impregnating his wife, what with his marriage being verboten and his prophesying her death during childbirth and all.

The read that Palpatine is secretly confessing to being Anakin's father or whatever also misses the point he's trying to make with the story. He's comparing the Jedi Order with Plageuis, and suggesting that Anakin would be in the right to turn against them. It's only after Anakin asks if magic keeping-people-alive-powers are real that Sheevy switches gears.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

It's kind of weak to put that out there just to make that point. If you have an immaculate conception and then later have an evil wizard say that actually the immaculate conception was caused by his spell, it feels a bit like a bait and switch to then go nope, just a regular immaculate conception like we said earlier.

The evil wizard very pointedly doesn't say that, though.

Like, here's the how the scene goes: Palp tells Anakin that the Jedi don't trust him, and are purposely keeping their power to themselves rather than sharing it with him. Palp tell Anakin the Jedi are going to betray the Republic in a bid to maintain their own power. Palp says the Jedi and the Sith are pretty much the same. Then he tells a story about a cool old Sith dude who tried to live forever only to be thwarted by his heir. The moral being that when somebody selfishly keeps power for themselves (like the Jedi) its understandable that the upcoming generation (like Anakin) would object (by killing them). When Anakin asks him "hey, was any of that magic poo poo in that story actually real?" Palp replies, "uhh, maybe it could be real, but if it was the Jedi wouldn't let you have it (so you should kill them)."

Palp doesn't imply any relation or appeal to any sense of familial devotion.

The immaculate conception connection is certainly there, and I'd be willing to believe there was an earlier version of the story where it played a part. But if so, its been so well removed that all that's left are threads that don't really lead anywhere. I get the urge to try and make it all fit, but you can't really do that without overlooking the context and the character's motivations.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a lovely king posted:

Wouldn't that be a terrible strain on the animators wrists?

Not if you have proper posture.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole genre fiction ghetto seems to be something of a generation gap; I don't think it meaningfully exists for most people under 30.

The "high arts" are much less of a thing in general.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xealot posted:

Yes, exactly. It's so interesting that this narrative still persists of "nerdy kids" being punished for their consumption habits, when it sounds like something pulled from 30 years ago. Maybe the quiet, nerdy kid was shoved into a locker for liking fantasy novels in 1985, but now things like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or Game of Thrones or whatever ARE the mainstream media people consume. Have been since 2000.

I almost think this is the wrong approach. Nerd media isn't fantasy or sci-fi or super hero stuff per se, it's what ever's popular primarily among kid's who get shoved into lockers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Clowner posted:

I can't believe I didn't remember that mcmurphy was in there for stat rape. I used to say the book was one of my all-time favorites.

It's been a decade since I read it but I'm pretty sure in the book he's locked up for getting in a fight.

There's no lack of weird sex stuff, but I feel like I would have remembered stat rape.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 10, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

I think they hate he got killed by Kylo instead of an ultra badass super sick dude

Trying to imagine an ultra badass super sick Kylo and all I can envision is a masked dude whose lightsaber has even more side protrusions.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fatherboxx posted:

Another article on Quiby and its spectacular failure, has a lot of amazing anecdotes about Katzenberg being an S-Tier rich idiot, because of course

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-anyone-watching-quibi.html

This does explain what they were actually going for, at least: premium youtube videos.

Red Bones posted:

I mean, YouTube video sized content with a high budget behind it isn't necessarily a bad idea. It just seems to have been executed staggeringly badly in this case.

Yeah, it in no way would require establishing an entirely new and separate platform.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lid posted:

They should make a Lightning movie based on the creator wantung to marry and have sex with her. Its just as creepy as Other M but somehow has way more apologists.

That surprises me. I've spoken with FF13 fans, but even they've been of the opinion that Lightning is a vacant character.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lid posted:

Oh i meant this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCd8yMBcOPw

But yeah Lightning has no character whatsoever and building a trilogy around her because the creator wanyed to have sex with her was painful. I was comparing it to Other M in that its another creator fetishising his own creation.

I knew about that, I just didn't realize the man had "apologists." Again, the few FF13 fans I know think the character sucks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, Final Fantasy XIII's story- or rather, the telling of it- is a direct consequence of an absurd creative process where everyone was working on stuff with no idea how it related to anything else.

It's really fascinating at parts. There's an early cutscene where the heroes are flying away on a fantasy helicopter, barely escaping pursuit. Then watch a news broadcast where the big government badguy labels the heroes terrorists. Then the pursuit they evaded shoots them down. It's clear watching it that the developers made two separate cutscenes, one where they escape and one where they're shot down, and then they just used them both.

The whole game is like that, where they'll be set pieces that are very compelling in isolation, but which completely fail to fit together. It's a game with a stellar design document but with absolutely no one at the helm.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Azubah posted:

Wasn't the reason why there are three FF13 games is because they spend more time making art assets than developing the plot, script, story, ie all the things that make the assets go together?

My understanding was the amount they planned to spend on assets wasn't justifiable unless it lasted them three games.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
delayed dissatisfaction

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Has there ever been a big epic fantasy novel series that managed to get to the end before the author keeled over? Maybe LotR, but discounting The Hobbit that was just a trilogy. I guess there's Dark Tower but by all accounts that, uh, took one hell of a downturn towards the end.

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but as far as I can tell "big epic fantasy" novels as a label only became a thing around the 90's to promote up and coming authors who were pushing lengthy stories. Like, when I think of big epic fantasy I don't think LotR, I think the Wheel series, and Sword of Truth and the like. The business model with them is to purposely not conclude the stories, so it's not too surprising that they outlast their authors (not that Goodkind has died yet).

A lot of longer fantasy stories that predate the label but are retroactively considered big epic fantasy have been completed. Jack Vance's Dying Earth, Le Guin's Earthsea, and Tanith Lee's Tales from the Flat Earth are all examples. Maybe you could count Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

muscles like this! posted:

Clive Barker wrote a book that his publisher made him split in two because it was so long that they were worried the paperback version would be structurally unsound and fall apart instantly.

I believe that. When I was young a friend of my parents heard I was into fantasy books and gave me a bunch of second hand Steven King paperback. They might as well have been unbound.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Wheel of Time undergoes a drat metamorphosis from just book one to book two, and I wouldn't be surprised that it was triggered by some unexpected success.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fartbox posted:

Just way smaller in scale, following a handful of characters through the world and getting into minor adventures

So, the Hobbit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Killing the last Dragon and stealing the most famous gem in the world is not exactly a small adventure,

I'd think an encounter with a dragon and treasure would be exactly the kind of capstone you'd expect from a small fantasy adventure, and even then the protagonists don't kill the dragon and the "theft" was just a contract dispute.

The retroactive significance to the events of LotR is considered surprising even within the story.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 19, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

Didn't Mega Man eventually led to all humanity going extinct, with only robots left?

The franchise doesn't exactly have stable continuity, but of the two series farthest in the future one has humans dying out and the other has humans and reploids becoming a single species (if that even is the word).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's literally Casshern's design and general idea + Astro Boy's setting and origin, with a supporting cast that's sorta split between the two sources (Rush is obviously Friender, but Light and Wily are riffs on Ochanomizu and Tenma, whereas Roll is sort of a composite of Uran from Astro Boy and Luna from Casshern, for instance).

There's a fair amount of Kikaider, too. Heck, the GBA Zero game is just the '95 Hakaider film with the serial number filed off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Tenet mystery im most interested in solving is if John David Washington's beard is real. Dude looks like a GI Joe doll from the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yVPewAybZw

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alan Smithee posted:

Get ready boys, we'll be watching Batman in the year 3091

or 4k21

or 5k51

or

The suits saw what happened with the New Mutants and decided not to risk making a promise they'd have to walk back.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For the record, this is Mendelson's review of Justice League.

The relevant bit:

quote:

If Man of Steel was a sci-fi first contact drama, Wonder Woman was a myth and Batman v Superman was an opera, then Justice League plays like a Saturday morning cartoon. That’s not necessarily a criticism, and it is better than the Justice League pilot episodes (“Secret Origins”) and the 2014 DCAU movie Justice League: War. But I would argue that the best viewing experience would be in a packed Saturday matinee, preferably with everyone still in their pajamas (a bowl of cereal is optional).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't wait for the explanation for why Jesus looks 15+ years older than he did before he died.

He did go through somewhat of a harrowing ordeal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I thought Korra got handled bad in reverse, where the creators went in expecting to have just the one season only to be given three more right as they were about to conclude the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
And we already had a super hero movie about collecting all the chaos emeralds.