Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yeah I think I was hoping theyd find a director who would tone down the humor but with Eli on board theyre most likely doubling down on it which is going to be loving obnoxious. Neveldine/Taylor woulda been perfect for this if thats what they wanted, but to also make a decent action film out of it at least.

I dont know how they play plan to do this without at least a $150mil+ budget.

i think Neveldine and Taylor ended their partnership - they haven't worked together since Ghost Rider

Taylor's working in TV (Happy! and the upcoming Brave New World show), but it actually doesn't look like Neveldine has had any credits since 2016

Tars Tarkas posted:

More likely it would just be people doing live performances of half-remembered blockbusters like the scene in Reign of Fire where they perform Star Wars for the kids. There was also an NPR story a few years ago about a play that was the evolution of a performance version of a Simpsons episode with Sideshow Bob and how it changed over the decades in a post-collapse society, but I can't remember the play's name.

Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
welp

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1239789463611604993?s=20

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

I guess I’m only ever going to see Greyhound on TV ☹️

Sucks because Captain Phillips with depth charges is extremely my poo poo
if it's any consolation, that it's gotten delayed multiple times is rarely a good sign

meanwhile, have the Norwegian-subtitled trailer for a lovely Gerard Butler movie. officially this is scheduled for theatrical release here in the US on June 12th, but somehow I doubt that'll happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF9UDPBa3aw

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The movie still has a release date of 5/29 so far so the studio is probably banking on life going on as normal by then.

there is approximately zero chance of that; i'd assume A24 just hasn't figured out a new date yet. most of the films that have been re-dated are tentpoles, and I think distributors are going to wait to see how the release landscape shakes out before rescheduling

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I can't believe that they had this movie scheduled for literally 17 months from now and were literally just gonna sit on a completed film for all that time

it was probably a stipulation by the show's producers to mitigate the impact on live performances. that's now a moot point for a while, of course

meanwhile, Russell Crowe stars in the first* wide release post-COVID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxDXoODKN8

*if the theaters are actually open at sufficient capacity by July 1st, which is iffy when LA is likely to extend its stay-at-home orders into August which in turn makes the major studios likely to further delay their July releases which in turn delays the viability of theater reopenings

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

this is going to be a trainwreck and i am extremely here for it

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

If you've never heard of the movie, it was supposed to come out in 2018 but got pushed back a couple of times. I guess they decided that releasing it now was as good a time as any.
it was a Weinstein production that apparently took a couple years to get out of legal limbo when the company went under

Rageaholic posted:

WEAR A MASK YOU STUPID FUCKS :argh:

my (hardly scientific) suspicion is that the audiences most likely to go to theaters under current circumstances are the least likely to take COVID seriously, but yeah that ad is not having the desired effect

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 10, 2020

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/TheRue/status/1317571150524735488

99.9% chance this is a commercial for something and not a movie or TV series, but i'll post it anyway

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

This is floating around as the supposed Space Jam 2 plot

the most i've hated a major studio film sight unseen since The Emoji Movie

a cynical branding exercise predicated on undeserved nostalgia for another cynical branding exercise

also this had a somewhat interesting director who quit/was fired several weeks into filming over "creative differences"

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 19, 2020

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

HOLD ON. Space Jam 2 is a cynical corporate cash-grab?? :monocle:

How dare they do this to the artistic triumph that is the original film which was based on a series of Nike commercials which used popular children's cartoon characters to sell overpriced shoes sponsored by and named after the eventual film's star and which were sewn by literal children in factories in third world nations and then marketed to children in impoverished areas while both the star, Nike, and the film studio made millions and millions of dollars? That film is sacrosanct.

idk if you're responding to me but I called space jam a cynical branding exercise and derided that people are actually nostalgic about it! it wasn't a long post!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...that's really baffling, because they sent Back in Action out to die deliberately. You'd think they wouldn't immediately greenlight sequels for a movie that they actively tried to lose money on.

source on this?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

i know we are all hoping for theater death ala the two party system but ngl im hoping amc A list comes back

I loved a-list, saw an average of a movie every week with it for a good while. Can only hope that it (and my AMC theaters) are still around post-COVID

I don’t see WB continuing this exact strategy much beyond 2022—not sure that even a very successful streaming service can pull in enough revenue to prop up an entire studio slate—but I don’t think “normal” is coming back, even post-vaccine. Expecting windows will vary from film to film but that VOD within a month or so of release will be about as wide as it gets

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Is the Green Knight ever coming out

A24 redated it last month (for July 31st), but like all theatrical release dates that's aspirational at this point

Saint Maud is getting a limited theatrical release at the end of the month, and then going to Epix's streaming service, which I had no idea existed

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

It wasn't even that, it was "people doing things that they're absolutely not going to be doing during lockdown" and then they launched pretty much at the beginning of lockdown.

it launched at the worst possible time but i don't think short-form content was ever going to be a good enough differentiator. by and large i think people are fine watching longer content in short spurts

also as far as Star Trek goes, Discovery has improved a lot and I actually think season 3 was pretty solid

i'm expecting about five more Trek shows to be announced come the 24th (Paramount+ investors day), maybe some of them will be good in 3 or four years

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
in better franchises-ostensibly-for-children news

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1362149401158819841

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Gonz posted:

Oh yeah, he’s awesome. Loved his stuff in Ringu, Sunshine, The Wolverine (and his TV roles on The Last Ship and Syfy’s Helix). I have no doubt he’s gonna kill it as Hanzo Hasashi.

don't forget the 1982 Corey Yuen classic Ninja in the Dragon's Den

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kBOYZmQzc

(this movie is actually very silly and good)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

well why not posted:

She's all over S2 and S3, where they try to make her turbo space hitler, literally responsible for 9 figures worth of death a friend of the crew! It's insanely awkward and uncomfortable. but yes she does eat a lot of scenery.

Yeah she’s very entertaining in the role but trying to make her an antihero is horrendously ill-conceived

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
bunch of updated/new release dates from Paramount:

quote:

SNAKE EYES, previously scheduled for October 22, 2021, is now set to open July 23, 2021 (wide).

JACKASS, previously scheduled for September 3, 2021, is now set to open October 22, 2021 (wide).

TOP GUN MAVERICK, previously scheduled for July 2, 2021, is now set to open November 19, 2021 (wide).

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 7, previously scheduled for November 19, 2021, is now set to open May 27, 2022 (wide).

UNTITLED BEE GEES is announced for November 4, 2022 (wide).

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, previously scheduled for May 27, 2022, is now set to open March 3, 2023 (wide).

UNTITLED STAR TREK is announced for June 9, 2023 (wide).

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 8, previously scheduled for November 4, 2022, is now set to open July 7, 2023 (wide).

THE SHRINKING OF TREEHORN is announced for November 10, 2023 (wide).

UNTITLED RYAN REYNOLDS/JOHN KRASINSKI FILM is announced for November 17, 2023 (wide).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1382027890099904523

i hate that these words are remotely comprehensible to me

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like there were a bunch of mystery box sci-fi shows for a while that managed to get audiences tired of their vagueness and twists before they even started.

i think there's been at least one of these on the major networks (almost) every season since Lost premiered. very few have lasted more than one season

Baron von Eevl posted:

Can we turn it around and talk about terrible shows that were bad right away and rightfully died immediately?

I want to talk about Do No Harm, the medical drama from NBC's 2013 lineup that was also an update of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It was about a brilliant surgeon who had an evil alternate personality that wanted to kill patients and ruin the main guy's life. It starred Steven Pasquale from Rescue Me, Phylicia Rashad from The Cosby Show, Samm Levine from Freaks and Geeks and Inglourious Basterds, and Lin-Manuel Miranda???? It was dreadful and NBC mercifully killed it after only 2 miserable episodes. The reception was so bad Samm Levine gave a radio interview before the second episode aired in which he threatened suicide.
how could anyone forget Dr. Facehands

meanwhile David Cronenberg is returning to sci-fi and i am very hyped

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1387810888317509633

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 29, 2021

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

pospysyl posted:

What was the LOST ripoff about a Survivor-type reality show in Siberia?

It was actually called Siberia

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

And then they lose a second showrunner and the new guy fires Orlando Jones for being too loud and black. Basically the quote given. Season 3 has absolutely nothing to it's name. It spins wheels the whole time and ends on a wet fart and cancelation.

Season 3 still has Ian McShane, and that counts for a lot IMO, but.... not much else

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Wyatt Russell is, I'm sure, a fine actor, but once I noticed that his voice sounds extremely similar to that of Timothy Simons (Jonah from Veep) I am going to have a hard time taking him seriously

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it the same reboot that had that anime spin off from the animation studio that did MD Geist?

i don't think that had anything to do with the reboot - that movie predated Lionsgate* getting the remake rights by a year or so

*technically it was Summit which was then acquired by Lionsgate a few years later but who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Phantom is bad but The Shadow is very good.

eh, I'd say Phantom is pretty fun. though the Shadow is definitely the better of the retro-pulp flops of the 90s. no movie with this exchange can be terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMRSnm3I5k

(The Rocketeer is probably the best of the 90s' retro-pulp flops, but that's not based on vintage source material)