Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So what you're saying is it was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The school took our sixth grade class to see the Macaulay Culkin Richie Rich

...what?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No, I mean, why on earth would a school take kids to a movie theater? It's just admitting to parents that they have no interest in educating their kids.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
We went to very different schools.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, we had an end-of-year 8th grade class trip to an amusement park (if you kept your planner up to date all year??), but that seems fairly different to me than just popping off for the afternoon to see whatever random movie was playing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

i never got the point of clubhouse. It was always just a platform for celebrity and influencer jerklecircing

but without anything inherently interesting or innovative about the format

I mean, it's right there in the name yeah.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I'm stoked, but we have to wait until tomorrow to get a solid date.

If it's not a year ago imma be mad

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

But anyway I hope the film's good because Winstead's never really had a great leading role before now, and I think that'd be great for her.

Someone needs to watch 10 Cloverfield Lane.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I believe it's Uncut Gems.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm having a harder time imagining which ones wouldn't. Mid 90s probably doesn't have much juice to squeeze, but the titular witch in The Witch and the cult in Hereditary are especially primed for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh I think you mean it's the new Star Wars

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Posting about Max Landis is bad. In saying this, I am furthering the cycle of bad posting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The whole story description sounds promising.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
His dog... Mutt? Indiana?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's speculation it won't go through due to the Broccoli stranglehold over key decision-making. It's still an absurd amount, but they may be trying to do a Bond Cinematic Universe with shows and movies for generations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

If studios would see clear profit behind releasing cuts of movies that haven’t seen the light of day I’d be so happy. I want to see the original cut of The 13th Warrior.

I've always assumed that the red tape involved in working out residuals and contacts and all that nonsense keeps these things from being more ubiquitous. Surely otherwise they'd realize that there's some short-term profit to be had in dorks double-dipping on a blu.

What I really mean is, there must be some sane explanation to why I am not able to see the 4 hour cut of Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. If it's just some suit's arbitrary decision then the universe is too cruel.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 2, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its too niche to put in the effort to clean up these cuts professionally. Also, things are often cut for a reason, and a person might be exposed to an inferior version on their first viewing of a film. For all the attention the Snyder cut got, it appears to have not been very successful.

Andrew Dominik says he has the finished cut of Assassination sitting on his harddrive and has tried reaching out to the studio but they have no interest.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

I did this with some horror movies for Halloween. Turns out what YouTube considers public domain is different than what you may think.

YouTube doesn't care about the public domain. They care about rightsholders noticing their content is up and requesting that it's taken down. YouTube is more than happy to continue making money on that content for as long as they can get away with it, then passing the blame onto the uploader.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Up Man
Io Man

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like noir. I like cyberpunk. That looks like trash.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I hadn't thought about this, but yeah. Angry fans on the internet already make fan fiction about how their favorite thing really ended. Whether it was because the ending was bad or because the "right" characters didn't hook up with each other. As soon as DeepFake tech becomes affordable and relatively easy to use enough expect a bajillion Game of Thrones Season 8 replacements and Star Wars Sequel trilogies. And the anonymity of the internet and streaming and such will make it near impossible to take them all down fast enough.

BIIIIIIIIG yup on this one. I think the implications go far, far beyond angry fans, though. Deepfake tech is about to be used for dubbing, and it's just going to get more and more imbued into the business. If they can make subscribers renew for another month by changing the content of their content, they will. Actors performances are going to be changed after the fact, and this stuff is going to start getting built into contracts. Video and audio deepfakes are both getting more and more sophisticated, and within a few years they'll be able to run seamlessly in real-time.

What's your political alignment? Republican? Great! Just set your preference and we'll remove any gay characters from the movie by swapping them out with an actor of your preferred gender. Who's your favorite movie star? Jason Statham? Great! Now he can be Han Solo. Just a $2.99 DLC!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 7, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Finally... every movie can be Christopher Lee vs Peter Cushing

The one upside!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Christopher Lee [standing behind a large wooden desk. Taxidermied heads of lions, bears, and elk are visible behind him]: "Ah, now you see that my victory is all but assured. What can you hope to do now, old fool? Pray?"

Peter Cushing: "Your evil ends here, vile creature! The Matrix shan't fall into your hands, Agent Smith!" [brandishes large crucifix and lunges at Christopher Lee.]

Christopher Lee: [hisses]

Hm. Maybe the future isn't so bad, after all...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

This reminds me, the season 2 finale of Creepshow (2021) feature Lee and Cushing

In the worst episode of the season and implemented really jankily, sadly. But still fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Existenz has a lot of great stuff going on, but it's janky as hell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
^^^^^ Someone get this person an Oscar

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The JW movies are just so utterly wrongheaded in so many ways.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everyone shut the gently caress up and read this sentence:

I didn't know that good things were still possible in this world, but Walter Hill is directing a Willem Dafoe/Christoph Waltz western.

e: we do not mention the last decade or so of his career

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 21, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Making a lovely studio movie then putting in a character that says "I hate lovely studio movies!" does not negate the fact that you made a lovely studio movie. So it just makes me more mad that Colin included that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thwomp posted:

It essentially boils down to Spielberg knows what he’s doing and everyone else is too “ooooo, dinosaurs!” to remember the basics.

Well, Colin Trevorrow is more like "dinosaurs? yawn."

Not just in the "kids are bored by dinosaurs now" misguided attempt at a theme. The man seems to have no reverence whatsoever for the animals themselves. The first three films had enough respect for them to treat them as actual animals worthy of awe and wonder. Trevorrow made them into cartoon movie monsters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't the second JW do that? I don't know for sure because JW turned me off enough that I will never watch another movie by that creative team.

Either way, you know a franchise is bankrupt for ideas when they go back to the well of "What old discarded and rejected junk do we have laying around that we can reuse?" The John Sayles draft that stuff came from was total horseshit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, we can just have him do that anyway. I'm in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What exactly is standing between them and a union like the rest of the industry? I know I've heard calls for it before but it seems like such a no-brainer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

To contrast I will say that the best CGI I've seen in decades is Blade Runner 2049's Rachel reveal.

Not to say it wasn't impressive, but my brain told me immediately that it was a cartoon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Do you know the name of the documentary and where it can be found?

There's a few on YouTube that should cover it, but the short of it from what I know is that they scanned Sean Young's skull and muscles and used them for reference in building a model.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure, why not? It fits. But mostly it makes my heart ache for a Gravity Falls/Scooby-Doo crossover.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Scooby Doo has always been incredibly disappointing

You're not wrong, since everything after season 1 of Scooby Doo Where Are You? was all downhill. Excluding Mystery Inc, that is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still can't fathom who would want to ever ever ever go to a California-themed themepark in California. I mean, I guess that's why they're shoving a bunch of other nonsense into it now, but of all the things they could have spent their money on that one is just such a plainly stupid idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's neat, because I'll be able to catch it in theaters and if I like it I can go home and rewatch my favorite bits.