Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Vegetable posted:

They are 100% gonna lose money on this Mulan thing, no way enough people will pay $30 to watch it

Disney + has 60.5 million subscribers. They only need 20% of them to watch to make 363 million dollars, which is all Disney's money, none of it going to distributors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Ror posted:

They probably need almost half a billion to make Mulan profitable. The budget was $200m+ with at least another 100 in marketing and the delays have only cost them more. I have no idea how many people are going to buy this on demand but even with the most generous estimates it seems like it might be an inevitable disappointment compared to a release in a normal world.

The usual profitability estimates have to take into account money to distributors. Disney gets to keep everything with this VOD.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

QuoProQuid posted:

I don't know if I would interpret Disney's move as anything except skepticism about the capacity of theater operators to sell tickets in 2020 (and possibly beyond). If no theatrical release will be successful, might as well try to make up some of the difference in cost through Disney Plus.

It's a desperation move, for sure, but will be an interesting experiment.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Possessed Whoopi Goldberg as Patrick Swayze has worked before.