Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Chairman Capone posted:

Lemonade Joe is pretty good. But you can even expand beyond that one example, Western movies were a huge genre in the Eastern Bloc in the 50s/60s/70s and they were all revisionist to some degree (either adapting the Western tropes to Russian expansion in Siberia or the Russian Civil War, or still being set in the American West but with the Native Americans as the heroes and the cowboys as the villains ). That being said I'm not sure how widely seen those movies were in the US at the time. Or even now, outside of some niche audiences.

Do you know the names of any of these offhand? I'd love to check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Bay or someone else has talked about how car companies would fall over themselves to get their cars in the movies but only to 'play' Autobots.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

she's honestly not the worst thing about it

there's the weird hammy Spider guy

Sharlto playing against type as a mustache twirling villain is like Adrian Brody trying to play a tough guy

weird loving lines from the daughter (though you can't fault her with that)

Sharlto Copely playing a psychotic rekkie is fantastic and I don't know if I'd count it as him playing against type. In part because it was effectively his second role, but also in part because I don't think there's that much space between the frustrated office dweeb that Wikus starts out as in D9 and Kruger's eternal race war fantasist.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

completely cartoonish bodybuilder stereotypes that are constantly doing ridiculously evil poo poo for the sole purpose of making money for themselves.

I think this is actually a little bit off the mark.

Each of the Sun Gym Gang (Kershaw and DuBois as well) embody some conception of the American dream. Lugo wants to be the community leader. He wants a big house that he takes care of with his fancy lawnmower. He wants to be the neighborhood's paterfamilias, teaching the boys how to be men and protecting the women from sexual assault. Doorbal wants the domestic life. He uses his money to get married and buy his own house. Doyle represents two types at different times. First he's the recovered criminal, who found salvation through religion. Then he's the hyper-consumer, living in constant, absolute indulgence. They of course target Kerhsaw, the immigrant-made-good, who Lugo presents as having wealth that they (by virtue of their masculinity) properly deserve.

You add to this mix the various impassioned speeches Lugo gives in front of the American flag, and you get that the Sun Gym Gang aren't merely dumb gasheads that are out for themselves, but also specifically representations of an American cult of materialistic masculinity.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ror posted:

Apparently this is a movie? It's from last year but it's getting dumped today and I've never heard of it.

I saw the trailer a week or so ago. The book is tremendous. I hope the movie is good, of course, but by virtue of it being film it loses an important part of the book that I quite like. The story takes play in a kind of colonial anywhere/everywhere. The outpost and "barbarians," then, are an amalgamation of how the British imagined the American frontier, central and southern Africa, the near and far of Asia. The movie, by virtue of being a movie, has to make its location and characters more particular and so it looks to take place in something resembling Mongolia/China.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

One of the opening shots from the trailer is a jetliner with chemtrails suddenly disappearing from the sky. Seems like it was never trying to trick the audience.

Do you mean contrails, or is there a whole 'nother layer of crazy to this film?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Maybe this is the new normal.

Descriptivist crew checking in.

I mean if people start saying one thing when they mean another it’ll come up in “normal” conversation and people will be like ‘well why are they bad?’ and you can say they contribute to climate change. Which they do to the point where climatologists have come out to say that flying to a conference is madness.

Given the context I think it's a legitimate question!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Davros1 posted:

I guess Leto's whining about not getting his own Joker film paid off!

Was anyone, other than Leto, clamoring for more of him?

I would love a Leto Joker movie. Wouldn't watch it, of course, but the culture war and internet panic over it would be delightful.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Prowler posted:

Please...just.. no more Joker. Even Mark Hamill joker would be too much at this point.

It's too bad it's impossible to do a sympathetic Mr. Freeze at this point.

Into the Spiderverse but they're all the Joker.

So many jokes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Soul is good but the emotional beats of the film would have hit a lot harder if Joe had gone on to the Great Beyond at the end instead of getting a second chance for free. His life had meaning because his experiences helped 22, he didn’t need to go back and keep being a teacher or whatever. It feels like the movie was headed toward that ending but chickened out at the last second.

Yeah, I was expecting something like Joe understands that teaching Questlove to play drums and Questlove playing with Dorothea Williams represents a genuine accomplishment for him, and so he accepts his death and lets Robert Whatshisname take his spot.

Nevertheless, a nice enough movie. Looked nice, had some funny jokes. Didn't regret watching it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jerry Lundegaard is the one who comes to mind immediately.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Didn’t the first get to give The Avengers a negative review on RT get a brick through his window or something?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Trainspotting 2 is a good sequel.

And one that very effectively uses the time that’s passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Okja is great and I dunno how anyone could find it dull. My favourite part is how the movie uses the two Tilda Swintons to make the point that shame only defeats the part of capitalism that can be shamed, while the part that doesn’t give a gently caress and only lives to make money marches on. Also love the klezmerish action music and Jake Gyllenhaal as Waluigi.