Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So, uh, anything good coming out this year?

Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch, Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho, Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You, wide release of Portrait of a Woman on Fire, Tenet, Villeneuve's Dune, and of course Doolittle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Adam Sandler remake of The Day The Clown Cried.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Disney is definitely a name that has no associations with Nazi sympathizers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know if I agree that they don't care much about skin color—I'm struggling to think of a notable interracial romance in one of their movies.

There was Finn and Rose before Rose disappeared into the background and was replaced by Dominic Monaghan for some reason.

And uh, yup that's about it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

What if the National Treasure was just actor Nicholas Cage?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I liked Atomic Blonde, but speaking of spy thrillers, The Rhythm Section is almost assuredly a piece of crap, right? Is it going to join the ranks of quickly forgotten spy thrillers like Red Sparrow, Proud Mary, and whatever Luc Besson's was called?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Perhaps you've heard of The Mighty Ducks???

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lobok posted:

I saw Bumblebee last week and after four movies they finally got it right on the fifth time. Dunno if this two-competing-reboots business will mean they hew more towards Bumblebee or do something completely different.

I really liked the short Cybertron segment in that movie. It just looked cool to have the original Transformers look like themselves, but also murdering each other.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Because now we have the technology to turn the cast into cats.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Prowler posted:

I legitimately had no idea it was R until the opinion articles about why it failed came around.

I didn't realize it was R until the first bits of ultraviolence or swear word. None of it seemed necessary or added anything. I wouldn't feel bad about watching the movie on a plane, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

smug jeebus posted:

How did they spend $150m making a dog movie

By not using a dog is my guess.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

No Harrison ford in your solo movie lose money

Yes Harrison ford in your dog movie and lose money

What do you want America?!?

1980s Harrison Ford probably.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm sorry, they built a river but couldn't get a dog?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hiring Neil degrasse Tyson is never sound.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

That's a hell of a delay, though. Pushed back a whole year?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

i think it would be absolutely hilarious if New Mutants got delayed again

Disney is delaying Mulan, Antlers, and New Mutants http://on.io9.com/uuWEpdD 

Guess it's time to suspend A List.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Was this mentioned in this thread? I feel like it deserves mention in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKP9IbpGkKE

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Turns out that it doesn't matter if movies get delayed because now theaters are just straight up being closed down. SF, LA and the tri-state New York area have all shut down their movie theaters.

I'm in SF and I haven't heard any communication from AMC about shutting down, just halving capacity. I should probably suspend my A-list for a few months, though.

Too bad the world will never know the brilliance of Bloodshot*

*This is sarcasm, I haven't seen Bloodshot and I'm not willing to risk my health on this dumb movie.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 16, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Let us not forget that Sonic is now the highest grossing movie in the US based on video games.

I mean it's also probably in the top 5 in terms of unironic quality. This is not a high bar, mind you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I mean if their management's support of a serial sexual harasser wasn't enough to get people to stop going to Alamo, I doubt this will.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Was color out of space actually good?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

I can't even remember if I've seen it or not!

Wasn't it basically just Pitch Black but not?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

More stuff got pushed back, including Ghostbusters 4: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/morbius-ghostbusters-afterlife-uncharted-pushed-back-2021-sony-1203549616/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I expect we’ll see sequels to Unfriended and Searching.

Now would be the time to reboot the Paranormal Activity franchise.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

After being delayed multiple times and having theaters being shut down for the foreseeable future Disney has decided to just dump Artemis Fowl on Disney Plus. No word on when though.

I legit thought that movie came out and nobody just noticed, like Mortal Engines did.

Homeybeef posted:

Between Moviepass and A-List, I haven't paid for my own movie ticket (aside from special screenings) for 2 and half years. If AMC goes under or cancels A-List, just cancel all of the movies because I don't want to go anymore.

I'd really miss A-List, even though I find myself irritated by the actual theater experience most of the time, but it did give me a real easy way to watch such generation defining movies like Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and Men in Black: International.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Denis Villeneuve is 2/2 for sci-fi as far as I'm concerned, so I'm looking forward to Dune.

Also if we're just naming great sci-fi movies, I'll throw out Dark City for consideration.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

They should just make like a failure adventures with all the IPs that people apparently can't make successful. Green Hornet, King Arthur, and Robin Hood team up to, I dunno, adapt to a modern world?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lobok posted:

Am I missing a :thejoke: or are you unintentionally trying to invent League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Maybe less weird sex.

Maybe.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sandler injecting his nuance into the fart jokes.

I should really rewatch The Lighthouse. What a great movie that just got buried by a year (the last year?) of great movies.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mads Mikkelson should have played the Death Star imo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is Hamilton just a stage recording or is it going to be like, a movie movie?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s a stage recording. This move seemed strange to me at first but then I realized the original plan of taking another year and a half to theatrically release a stage recording was probably stranger.

Maybe they wanted to get some distance away from Cats, the harbinger of death for theatrically released Broadway musicals.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Tbf you deserve everything you get by agreeing to play Pathfinder.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I enjoyed Hateful 8, but at multiple points during the movie, I was reminded of how good The Thing was and how much I'd rather watch that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

And the only problem the network censors had with the angel scene was that originally you could see their buttcracks. Which Fuller "fixed" by covering them with blood.

American morality in a nutshell, folks.

IIRC the opening shot of the first episode with the girl on the antlers did something similar. I think the networks objected to side boob or something, so they just increased the violence to cover it up.

Hannibal (TV) is definitely a "How did this get greenlit" but not because of a lack of quality.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Blade Runner (+2049) may not be "about" sentient sex toys, but it definitely has them, with the one in 2049 being more important to the plot and themes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Xealot posted:

Silicon Valley was unwatchable to me immediately because I got such douche vibes off of the cast.

Pretty good casting for your average techbro, then.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

So, movie theaters can open here in Ohio next week, what can we expect to be playing?

Nothing worth risking your health for.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Doggles posted:

If you see only one film this year...it's because you died of the COVID-19 you contracted from someone not wearing a mask in the theater.

But at least I saw Tenet the way it was intended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I assume this would be after John Wick 4? So like in 5 years?