Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Bakshi owns. I just did a watch party of his films a few weeks ago. Fire and Ice is bad but it's pretty funny that every scene is one person getting kidnapped or knocked out, then another going "Let's go over there" then pointing to a Frank Frazeta painting

Edit:after watching this film I wanted to see if the backgrounds were available anywhere, cause there's a p good Bakshi artbook. I emailed the publisher, who turned out to be an indie comics guy called Chris, who put me in touch with Bakshi's grandkids who sent me a bunch of art from a scrapped chapter of said artbook, that was cool. I can post it if you want

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Fire and Ice had some absolutely amazing visuals though. I think Heavy Metal parodied it too

For sure. I genuinely love that halfway through the movie this badass panther dude shows up and takes over as the protagonist, even kills the evil ice King at the end while the "hero" fucks about doing nothing lmao

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

AF posted:

god drat

I've never heard of this thing. it's super cool. it's a bummer that it doesn't exactly live up to how awesome all these screenshots look. :( I agree with a previous comment that the design for the baddies is overall really good and unique and those rotoscoped scenes are awesome. there really is something special about the fluidity of the animation, even if doesn't hold up sometimes. thx for doing this OP, will continue to experience this vicariously through you

I really loved the fluidity when Frodo fights the ringwraith. Something about how he throws the cloak is just mad pleasing and gives him this heroic figure
https://i.imgur.com/pt78u0a.mp4

and while i'm posting gifs I spent hours making for no real reason, it's about this point in the film we start getting closer to Mordor and the freaky weridness vibe that place has in the film. This is a shot that's coming up p soon that rules

https://i.imgur.com/bllUFKW.mp4

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Basticle posted:

are you loving kidding me, :justpost:

Ok!

https://imgur.com/a/LQEOWcs

A lot of these are really low res, I dunno why. My faves are probably the pic of some monster concepts:

and this shot from an unused Balrog concept. If you think the one in the film is cheesey, lmao

There's also this concept of the ringwraiths which owns

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A lot of Bakshi's work straddles the line between earnestly, genuinely kickass and goofy fuckin' sillybusiness and often does both incredibly well. I genuinely like a lot of the stuff in LoTR. I like Aragorn as a big dorky nerd with a million stories about the world. I like the moment in the Shire where the hobbits are like "lmao Frodo we've been keeping tabs on you for years cause *obviously* some wild poo poo was about to go down". I like the weird ringraith costumes and how fuckin' bonkers alien sci-fi Mordor and Isengard are portrayed. This, Fire and Ice and Wizards are perfect stoner/trip films imo.

American Pop is the best Bakshi movie imo

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

mfw the elves ask me to make some chairs

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Those are Rohan forces, who in this are presented as like, werid viking dudes? Lots of blonde nordic boys in tunics coming up.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

I always thought some of the film used for rotoscoping in this movie was stock footage, not sure if that’s the case though

I have some pictures somewhere, maybe in that gallery I posted, of a bunch of dorks all dressed up "attacking" a castle to get footage for the helms deep battle, they def. filmed a lot of it, if not all.

Here's a shot of helms deep as Gandalf describes it. It's a shame we didn't get this weird underworld magic tower stuff and just got the Basic Castle shots.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I dunno about that video but this is my fave bakshi lotr fan work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvXlBUOyAo

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mordja posted:

So why wasn't there a sequel? Apparently the movie took in 30 mil at the box office and cost 4 to make which sounds pretty good for the late 70s.

Bakshi has said it was because of a lack of funding. He struggled to secure the cash to make movies basically his entire life. Partially cause animation for adults wasn't really A Thing in the way it is now, with only a handful of studios believing it worthwhile, and the scene dominated by Disney, partially because it kinda seems like Bakshi is an "interesting" person to work with. The Rankin Bass people made a sort-of-sequel in 1980 that roughly picked up where he left off

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Studios screw creators p often and bakshi famously got absolutely ruined by almost every studio he worked for, one of the reason he quit doing stuff till Kickstarter let him self-fund there

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

OP do Fire and Ice next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My friends and I would joke that the reason Bakshi could never get any money is his particular style just made everyone look really fuckin' ugly