Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Bakshi's version outshines Jackson's by a drat sight. And he ran out of money and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The motherfuckin witch king

Godammit it's legolas.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

fauna posted:

i'm trying to keep a lid on the gay jokes but honestly, the amount of unashamed male love and appreciation on display in this movie warms my heart

there's a short scene where the hobbits are all in a bath together and it's nbd

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Everyone's horncall is the same two notes.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like that John hurt aragorn is allowed to be happy and not have the weight of reposnibility weigh him down. He can take a joke and laugh right before he gives you an epic speech and tells you go get angry

Yeah. Viggo is good in lots of stuff but Hurt is able to go from a kind of hissing urgency to a proud oratory. He really took to the (rotoscoped) role and emoted the hell out of it.

e. You know, I say rotoscoped but I'm not sure whether they did the main chars with standins. It sure looks like it sometimes.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

free hubcaps posted:

the background art on all of bakshi’s fantasy movies is fantastic, in addition to frazetta I know he had Ian miller on wizards, i really love his stuff

https://mobile.twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1037847807925702656

also I’m pretty sure Thomas ‘painter of light’ kinkade did backgrounds for fire and ice lol

Ian Miller is cool as hell. I've got a few "art of Tolkien" kinda books and his stuff is so visceral. Look up his painting of the Hornburg (if you haven't already seen it).

Fun fact, there's a brief part with Frodo smiling at Sam when they're off to Bree that's animated by Wendy Pini, the lady who draws Elfquest. She and Bakshi were homies.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

fauna posted:

it exactly lives up to these screenshots lol, if you're enjoying the screenshots you'll enjoy the movie (while high)

the speed at which i'm able to make this thread sort of testifies how wall-to-wall ridiculous the whole thing is. i'm not having to meticulously comb through frames of animation looking for the wonkiest ones, because they're all wonky. it's magical

Looking back I think "this movie was obviously too cool for me as a kid". Still watched it a bunch though.

Thanks for making the thread. I hope you shall not be encircled and gutted by wildfires.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ChubbyChecker posted:

Hadn't noticed it before, but they're sitting on orc heads!

:stare:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Bakshi has said it was because of a lack of funding. He struggled to secure the cash to make movies basically his entire life. Partially cause animation for adults wasn't really A Thing in the way it is now, with only a handful of studios believing it worthwhile, and the scene dominated by Disney, partially because it kinda seems like Bakshi is an "interesting" person to work with. The Rankin Bass people made a sort-of-sequel in 1980 that roughly picked up where he left off

IIRC Bakshi worked for Disney a long time ago and honed a lot of his skill there before he got sick of it (kinda like Don Bluth and others). He certainly was an unusual guy from the little things you hear about him. In the Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat he apparently went around NYC with a tape recorder and a bottle of scotch and just had randos he met read for the dialogue.

I also read something a while ago where he was talking about all the new technology coming out (this was in the mid-aughts) and him marveling that he could now animate things on his own PC that would have taken many people and many days before. His words: "Fuckin' incredible!"
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You only hate him because he's brown.

I say I say that's just damned unfair