Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Checking in, won't get to read the thread properly for a bit as i have work to do at work for a bit.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Mr. Steak posted:

and this is because voting for more than 3 different people would be literally the least helpful thing late-game. and i cant double-vote on anyone. MAYBE my update would be that, but its not worth hunting a specific country who may very well be town. but if russia happens to die, i'll claim what the upgrade was.

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Lol so you've already claimed your ability + your target. Real nice. You sure youre not scum?

I feel like claiming anything about your desired target or who you are does nothing but help scum narrow down their night kill choices. While it'd be nice to have free upgrades i honestly would rather not know which player my target is because it might confuse me when i'm looking for actual baddies.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Lumpen posted:

Utterances and choices about other players (or avoiding mentioning other players) creates a web of connections and evidence and behavior on the record by which alignment can be discerned. Content creates the basis for seiriousvotes and this kills the jokephase.

I am a fan of this, the jokephase part of games is always awful for me. More please

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

IllegallySober posted:

Xiw at least said they would check in later, I think. AA didnít provide an excuse. Pretty scummy...!

Yah this game started at random after I'd gone to bed on a worknight. I'll generally be okay with reading it during the day but that depends on work.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

IllegallySober posted:

Xiw at least said they would check in later, I think. AA didnít provide an excuse. Pretty scummy...!

(Also I kind of hate just posting transparently just to fill up the post numbers, I'd rather have something to say in each post tbh. But we'll see...)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

IllegallySober posted:

Thatís my read on it at this juncture, yes.

Given the willingness to demonstrate, my read is that thereís less scum motivation to divulge that info D1 than there is town motivation to. Iím having trouble seeing where giving up that info that readily as scum helps his wincon- but I guess weíll see how it develops.

Do you feel differently?

Could be trying to reduce the chance of a roleblock or track though by proving they don't have a night ability, so they can do the NK. Scum could be in all kinds of odd positions here with a role madness random setup - could be tricky passing up an action to get a NK in. Not convinced though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

hambeet posted:

Yeah, as steak said though we now know his upgrade target

this is interesting too because let's say russia gets executed - steak's going to either be a big NK target or we're going to be looking at him real suspiciously when he lives the night. So I kind of agree that revealing the target looks towny

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

CapitalistPig posted:

I have a good question for everyone. If you had a vig that you could use tonight who would you use it on?

(inb4 "you lol")

probably Hal or you because neither of you really feel that tractable to try and analyze.

CapitalistPig posted:

very interesting indeed.

secondary question also for everyone. If you could give anyone a vig who would you give it to if you couldn't give it to yourself.

probably hambeet or steak at the moment because they'd talk a whole bunch about their target, so you gain two sets of info.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

IllegallySober posted:

Something about this post I donít like and I canít quite place it. It might just be looking at these two posts back-to-back and seeing the focus on mechanics over reads. Whoís looking scummy, xiw?

i like mechanics. They affect how scum will think, what scum's strategy will be, and who they'll push, and that's material to form hypotheses about when looking at people's posts.

On the other hand can we just skip the couple of days of 'but mechanicschat!' this time though,

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

b-minus1 posted:

I need 5 people to vote me thx

Don't see why not - ##vote b-

Can we unvote straight away or do you need 5 simultaneous

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

b-minus1 posted:

Thanks for the votes. I have become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

do you need us to still be voting you?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Mr. Steak posted:

anyway, i find it weird that nobody got hardly any votes on them yesterday except 2penny. scum must have just cut their losses and gone for the equal exchange (even though its not equal at all and way more beneficial to town than scum)

I've been thinking about this and yeah I'd have expected a more fullthroated attempt on someone - then you couple it with this:

Alright gonna throw this out there - I am a survivor. my flavour is 'pirates'. I hinted this earliwr when I said I got a Destiny's Chikd song (im a survivor) off napster (pirates). On death, I revenge kill someone who votes me. I have no target country to gain power, meaning the revenge kill is just pure dickishness. Pretty funny.

I will happily push to win with town.

I would prefer to make it to the end and win myself. As is, I will go down in flames with someone near and dear to my heart...

makes me think the scumteam are inexperienced or inactive otherwise they would have called these out.

so I'm going to ##vote charms

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

CapitalistPig posted:

Hello friends.

Whoever Byzantium is killed Austria last night.

:*

This is super weird since I thought it was clear that 2penny had revenge-killed Ilegallysober. AA wasn't voting them.

Amnistar posted:

IllegallySober, Independent Nation-Aligned Austria has beeen invaded.

Amnistar posted:

2 Penny Bottle Imp, Secret-Alliance Aligned France has been Exiled.

French Foreign Legion - If you are the target of any daykill (including being Axed), when you die you can select one of the people voting you to nightkill that night as revenge.

So either 2penny's revenge kill didn't go off and this is another kill, or you're messing with us or your results are wrong. I read 'Axed' as voted out here but who knows...

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Losing track of things sorry. I agree that the '2penny deliberately doing a bad claim so charms can call it out' is too convuluted ##unvote

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Rereading I see people claiming targets and I can see why so for future reference I targetted cpig, hum, and hal and wasn't blocked

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

it's now 10am my time so i'm at a computer instead of a phone in bed, it's a tough life.

##vote Sal for now, I'm not sure I buy the anger as a real thing and complaining about content game because noise is not a great argument for me - the complaining is as noisy as the game and produces less.

Okay here's a content game since I enjoyed the last one and i agree with the argument that responses to it are valuable because they are a new narrative that will be harder for scum to stay consistent with:

Who would you pull into a masonry if you could?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Mr. Steak posted:

sal surely isnt lying about being jailor, but thats not exactly a role that bodes well for his alignment.

tbh his unnecessary "yay town!" in that post makes me suddenly alright with voting him

Roles were explicitly nothing to do with alignment per discord - could be a scum doctor etc.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I'm working through penny's posting yesterday but something for now - steak I don't understand why you told everyone you have a 3-person watcher? aren't you asking for a NK on you if that's the case? if you didn't explain it you could have just voted for likely nk targets and had a super good chance of catching people.

I just can't follow your thought process for this - your posting seems town but the only reason i can see to post this is if you're not considering 'oh i might die if i explain this ability'

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

So the real info we have is Penny's posting yesterday and interactions, and the two town kills

vs ETR

Overly enthusiastic and listing so many names calling so many people townie says newb scum to me.

Same thing here - gives no reason for the vig comment, just lets it sit there, like a bad perogie on the plate.

##vote Eat The Rich

I can't see this as a bus because it's the first vote on them and it's an argument that could have worked.

There's a whole sequence between Leith and Penny that starts here that's informative and leads straight through to the execute:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908889&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post501944064

The most interesting post for me:

SalTheBard posted:

My pushback on content game is that is twofold:

1) It allows scum players to hide. For example, in this argument I'm scum. Nobody has asked me questions, thus I can just sort of skate through without providing actual content.

2) If Lumpen is scum, it allows him the ability to endlessly post questions to other players without having to defend his own opinions.

Content game on later days is fine, however content game on D1 (especially like an hour into the game being open) is dumb.

Probably a bit late for this but man this feels rear end-backwards to me - lategame there is content to work with and things to talk about, early game it's jokephase or content and I'll take content any time.

The thing that's weird about this for me is that reading it with the 'sal is bad' goggles on it looks like an attempt to restart the same slapfight about content games out of nowhere - as a diversion.

Side thoughts I haven't gotten any further with:
Why was AA the NK target?

Overall ratings:

Dubious:
Sal
Hal - Nothing major but I don't really follow the RF vote.

Unclear:
humalong / lumpen / rf / charms

Towny:
steak - okay, I can see the argument for narrowing nk targets.
Leith - the whole sequence with 2penny
Hambeet: posts a lot but it's actually all relevant to the game -

hambeet posted:

ppl pls post reasons when voting kthx
binus - the vote gambit thing worked well for him and identified 2penny.
charms - I like this post:

charms posted:

The scum could exploit a rift like that by splitting their goons between both sides. Being associated with one of the sides would be read as more scummy further into the game, which takes some heat off the scum on the other side.

Cleared:
ETR: 2penny started off seriously trying to get them executed, I don't think that makes sense in any world

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Hi all

Steak man I wanted to chase you up further about why the hell you'd claim the watcher thing and I guess this is an explanation. But you should be able to prove this to us by voting 3 people in a row without unvoting and we can look at votefinder and see only the last person voted ?

(for future reference I visited myself, Sal and Hal and wasn't blocked etc.)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Lumpen posted:

I think it's highly "convenient* that when there is a way to demonstrate Mr. Steak's claim (he should have been able to identify the messenger if he watched), suddenly that claim was a lie and a new claim is created, but also he won't demonstrate that the extravotes are gone.

Both claims also very self-serving as far as manipulating power roles and providing an excuse for Steak not being dead the next day.

The other half of this, and the damning half for me, is that the new claim suddenly meshes with a flipped Cpig vig-provider.

Also a power that lets you prevent 3 nks on yourself in a row while also protecting other people is pretty good.

Also an excuse to not try out the 3 votes thing is pretty useful if you did actually get triple voting on one person or something like that as your actual power - this could all be a smokescreen to stay alive to use that to win. Pretty scary.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Lumpen posted:

Content Game:
2 questions for everyone:
Do you believe that Steak is telling the truth now in his newest claim?
Do you believe he is Town?

No and no, now.

I just can't see the motivation for the lie when you go back to yesterday. I think the most likely option is that he has a new upgrade that's real good and the idea is to act like someone who's shot their bolt.

The whole area of what happened to Cpig's extra vigs is interesting but I think it's more likely that it's explained by jailing at this point, which also makes me feel better about Sal ... except why the hell didn't he jail me N2?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

##vote mr steak

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

One thing that makes me hmmm and worry.

DEAD: 2P - France - target Castille
DEAD: IS - Austria - target Hungary
DEAD: AA - Russia - target Poland
DEAD: ETR - Burgundy - target England
DEAD: CPig - Ottomans - target Byzantium
ALIVE: Steak - ?? - claimed target one of france / austria / russia

None of the dead people were targetting another dead player. So we have 4 other living players with upgraded powers and a good chance 1-2 scum have upgraded powers at this point. This is kind of scary. I don't think this is a reason to claim upgrades or anything, but i feel like we're in a position where we could get really surprising / bad night actions out of nowhere.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Mr. Steak posted:

just so this is on the record now and not buried earlier in the day:

most of my stuff will be confirmed in my flip, but my n2 results won't. so here is me re-claiming that result.

this is 100% factual. you'll know this after i flip, because lying right before death as town is purposeless.

I LOST 2 VOTES ON NIGHT 2.

please don't forget that tomorrow.

also the people with guard effects on them were:
myself (presumably)
lumpen
hambeet

could you at least try voting on 3 people in a row without unvoting to see what happens first?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Hi all

My action failed, I tried to target lumpen, me and Hal.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

someone got a super roleblock upgrade maybe? Jailer would go before that right?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I haven't upgraded. Don't think I can prove this outright - I can technically claim this by saying who my target is and they could counterclaim if necessary but I could be scum partners with my target so that shouldn't convince you.

I'm not sure about the claiming upgrades but I think it would be good for people to claim targets who haven't and we can make a big reference post - the thing about this game is that scum could have difficulty making a nightkill because they might have powers they want to use - and it feels like we could trap people later on lying about their targets.

Also: steak telling the truth (wtf) means that there was actually 2 extra nightkills n3. I think this confirms that cpig gave scum a vig n1, scum then nk'd steak and one of lumpen/hambeet. Maybe cpig hit a pgo or something?

so it's probably worth rereading Cpig carefully for hints / breadcrumbs of who he gave the vig to. I am at work rn but we have time.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

hambeet posted:

that's the only way I could make out sal saying his was successful, when it looks like everyone else failed, and that there was no night kill

Yeah I can see this being the case with a truthysal:

1. Sal truthful, Bulk roleblock. Jailor goes before roleblock, so I'm jailed and everyone else is roleblocked.

vs

2. Sal lies, actually used bulk jailing

Other people who were jailed I assume you just got roughly 'your action was unsuccessful' like me?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Okay cpig hasn't posted much but what's there is extremely useful.

CapitalistPig posted:

I have a good question for everyone. If you had a vig that you could use tonight who would you use it on?

CapitalistPig posted:

secondary question also for everyone. If you could give anyone a vig who would you give it to if you couldn't give it to yourself.

CapitalistPig posted:

I would vig lumpen and hand my friend hambeet the vig

But then!

CapitalistPig posted:

Hello friends.

Whoever Byzantium is killed Austria last night.

CapitalistPig posted:

This could actually be what happened. Sorry. I didn't put 2 and 2 together for some reason.

This just means that whoever byzantium is visited is last night.

CPig's target was byzantium so this was just trying to get them killed i guess - they have no investigative role.

BUT it's followed up by

hambeet posted:

classic c-pig gambit.

So my strong hypothesis: hambeet got the vig n1, remembers the posts about it, knows it comes from cpig because of the earlier 'hypothetical'. The 'classic c-pig gambit' response is breadcrumbing for later so that if Cpig tells someone they gave hambeet the vig hambeet can point to this.

But, scum decide the extra vigs are too dangerous in role madness and target cpig and steak.

##vote hambeet

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

(I need to go back through the steak stuff because there's lots of discussion there so remind me if i haven't.)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

hambeet posted:

I'm Byzantium.

So you're saying the 'classic cpig gambit' part was a reaction to that rather than the breadcrumbing recieving the vig, okay.

That's good because that was the weakest part of my hypothesis and I was worrying about that a bit before posting - i was thinking you'd posted that before deciding on the nightkill (but it was quite late in the day) but it didn't quittttte fit.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Retro Futurist posted:

Because that means you apparently had the only successful action last night. Either youíre lying or thereís a second lighting rod

the problem is I can't see why he'd lie and then vote me - obviously using the big jail would be super obvious to everyone so it wouldn't achieve what liar-Sal wants to achieve. Scum sal would just do better jailing me, withholding the nk, and then get me killed for pushing on steak.

maybe someone has a bulk roleblock but jailor takes priority over roleblock
maybe someone has a power to power-up other people and hit Sal

Wouldn't a reusable lightning rod in a game with a jailor just prevent all nightkills forever? Seems unlikely. So it'd have to be another one-shot and I don't buy a second one-shot when we've seen one flipped.

I kind of lean towards the priority thing making this a full-on red herring.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Leith Maclaine posted:

I tracked either b- or hambeet. My action failed.

Oh this is interesting - I think you're in a similar sitch to me.

Who'd you track N1 and N2?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Okay I think everyone left in the game has claimed an active ability. The reason why this is interesting is that the nightkills and vig usages have to fit into these, so there are definitely lies happening.

Sal: claims upgraded jailor, 95% confirmed. jailed lumpen N1, Hum N2, Xiw N3.
Leith: claims tracker. D1 either RF or AA, no result. D2 Sal or CPIG, visited Hum, probably Sal. D3 either b- or hambeet, blocked.
Hal: claims mason, confirmed by Lumpen D2 and Sal D3
Xiw: claims visiting CPig, Hum, Hal N1, xiw, hal, sal N2, tried to do Lumpen, xiw, hal N3 but blocked.
Hum: claims active ability, jailed N2, blocked N3
Lumpen: claims active ability, jailed N1, blocked n3
RF: claims active ability, targeted Lumpen N1 and failed due to jailing before Sal claimed, so likely true.
charms: claims active ability, failed N3, no further info
b-minus: N3 claims targetting Lumpen and blocked. No claim before day 3.
hambeet: claimed to target Hum N2 but only after knowing that Sal jailed them. No other claims.

Any reason why people shouldn't claim the rest of their targets at this point? There are a rapidly limiting number of people who could have done the N1 kill and the N2 3 kills (assuming we trust Steak's bodyguard results at this point)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

In particular I'd like to get charms, binus, and ham to tell us who they targetted N1 and N2. Don't forget at least 4 people have upgraded abilities we don't know about too - I'm guessing the bulk roleblock was one of those.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Aight misread. So Hambeet is the only person not to claim an active ability.

Sal: claims upgraded jailor, 95% confirmed. jailed lumpen N1, Hum N2, Xiw N3.
Leith: claims tracker. D1 either RF or AA, no result. D2 Sal or CPIG, visited Hum, probably Sal. D3 either b- or hambeet, blocked.
Hal: claims mason, confirmed by Lumpen D2 and Sal D3
Xiw: claims visiting CPig, Hum, Hal N1, xiw, hal, sal N2, tried to do Lumpen, xiw, hal N3 but blocked.
Hum: claims active ability, targetted hambeet but jailed N2, blocked N3
Lumpen: claims active ability, jailed N1, blocked n3
RF: claims active ability, targeted Lumpen N1 and failed due to jailing before Sal claimed, so likely true.
charms: claims active ability, failed N3, no further info
b-minus: N3 claims targetting Lumpen and blocked. No claim before day 3.
hambeet: none.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

hambeet posted:

I've been thinking about some stuff steak said yesterday in light of his flip, and now your post about me and cpig kind of made me realise something and my claim is part of that.

my un-upgraded power is a redirector of sorts. it's called byzantine bureaucracy.

i mark another player and anyone targeting me will be redirected to whomever i marked without knowing they were redirected. it is limited in that it does not redirect night kills. maybe my upgraded power redirects night kills, or maybe it becomes a full on bus driver. idk, my target hasn't died.

Nice try.

If Cpig had received his own vig n1 no way he wouldn't have indicated it in thread in some form d2. Everyone else i urge you to re-read all of cpig knowing he's giving out vigs - it's not long and it's as close to proof as I've ever seen.

Imagine being cpig here you've given hambeet a gun and received it back. That's super weird, you got redirected. It'd be useful for everyone to know that! So instead he posts about Byzantium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Leith Maclaine posted:

Idea, and this idea may suck but I do not have much else to contribute with my lack of information.

Please have a read of Cpig's posts now that we know that he's town and can give out vigs and see what you think.