Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
What a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

oh, that noose? yeah that noose was always there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:cripes:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1275542160868175872/photo/1

:wtc:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

reading around a bit it seems some of the garages have a loop of rope for pulling the door down. I could see, in the current climate, someone thinking a loop of rope wasn't at all innocent.

^: that's no normal loop

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh cool guess I can go back to saying gently caress NASCAR then.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Someone should totally eat poo poo for that but at the same time good for them for reacting quickly?...i guess?? 2020: A land of contrasts.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i don't think it was an overreaction considering many fans behavior on social media the last few weeks.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kirios posted:

Oh cool guess I can go back to saying gently caress NASCAR then.

i mean i don't think doing due diligence and defending your driver is worthy of that

but gently caress every idiot who's about to get on their high horse about this for the next month

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm very tired

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

lmao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

gently caress nascar and gently caress the fbi

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm very tired

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
something something 'caution to the wind'

I'm not tired just bad at dark humour

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
NASCAR 2020: No noose is good noose

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm pissed as all hell for Bubba becuase he had zero to do with the finding and his name is the one getting dragged

NASCAR needs to scream loudly over and over again this isn't on Bubba

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

going to be a lot of racists showing their rear end

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

"going to be"

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

if only there were multiple black drivers, so one person's reputation didn't hinge on a bunch white peoples foolishness

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

everyone with a driver seat selfie twitter pic is gonna be a pull rope expert all of the sudden

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno how late i am on this but if it's a pull cord then fine, NASCAR and the FBI did their due diligence and their job for once. It's more on whatever person cried wolf and now chud twitter is gonna call him Bubba Smolett for the rest of his life.

Goddamn shame.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

i mean i have questions for whoever fashioned that pull cord but now isn't the time

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

shyduck posted:

I'm pissed as all hell for Bubba becuase he had zero to do with the finding and his name is the one getting dragged

Why is his name getting dragged? Who is dragging his name?

This was a big misunderstanding, after which NASCAR did all the right things. The only thing they could have done differently was to make a statement of the facts and announce they'd investigate further, but then that would open the door to criticism that NASCAR wasn't taking things like this seriously and hiding behind said "investigation."

It's making a mountain out of a molehill in the end, but isn't it a mountain/molehill everyone should be proud to stand on in the end?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair when i was in a lovely old house with a lovely old garage door the pulldown cord looked exactly like that but honestly, i dont fuckin know, this is a mess

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Let's address the real issue here - do we call this 'noosegate' or 'ropegate' or 'garagegate' or what

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Even if it turned out to be nothing, it exposed a bunch more racists so that’s always a good thing

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

WindyMan posted:

the answers to this may not surprise you

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

WindyMan posted:

This was a big misunderstanding, after which NASCAR did all the right things. The only thing they could have done differently was to make a statement of the facts and announce they'd investigate further, but then that would open the door to criticism that NASCAR wasn't taking things like this seriously and hiding behind said "investigation."

It's making a mountain out of a molehill in the end, but isn't it a mountain/molehill everyone should be proud to stand on in the end?
Social media chudosphere has been screaming "BUBBA SMOLLET" for the last hour. Then again they were never going to take his side no matter what so maybe I shouldnt worry about it. I agree with you on NASCAR'S response.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Even if it turned out to be nothing, it exposed a bunch more racists so that’s always a good thing

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm...uhh... glad I had to go clean my cube today and didn't have time to be on Twitter.

shyduck posted:

Social media chudosphere has been screaming "BUBBA SMOLLET" for the last hour. Then again they were never going to take his side no matter what so maybe I shouldnt worry about it. I agree with you on NASCAR'S response.

They're going to feel irrationally vindicated and have their pejorative, "cute" (term used loosely) nickname to spew on social media to feel smart. The difference is Smollett apparently staged his incident whereas Bubba had nothing to do with this one but, hey, who needs facts when you (e- chuds, not you yourself) have a keyboard and bad opinions?

It may be egg in the face for the "every little misfire becomes a meme" crowd, but NASCAR did the right thing to look into it because of the shitshow of a world we live in.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 24, 2020

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The most southern alabama thing I could think of is someone saying "hey can you tie a knot for this pull rope real quick" and the person just instantly, instinctively tying a perfect noose from muscle memory the second a rope is put in their hands

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
It's not a quick knot to tie.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Spaced God posted:

The most southern alabama thing I could think of is someone saying "hey can you tie a knot for this pull rope real quick" and the person just instantly, instinctively tying a perfect noose from muscle memory the second a rope is put in their hands

Talladega is NOT southern Alabama.

Perversely, Alabama gets worse the further north you get.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This is so weird and bazaar. Why would this become such a huge issue if it was attached and part of the garage door when it was discovered? Or was it cut prior and somewhere else in the garage when the team found it?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

if it had two turns or less I'd just call it a slip knot but that's a hangman's knot, it wasn't there for the reasons first thought but whoever tied that on the door knew what they were doing.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I don’t care when that was tied, that’s a goddamn noose.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This is so weird and bazaar. Why would this become such a huge issue if it was attached and part of the garage door when it was discovered? Or was it cut prior and somewhere else in the garage when the team found it?

nationally there have been a series of nooses appearing in various locations in response to the BLM protests and this was very shortly after NASCAR came out in favor of BLM and banning confederate flags

suddenly someone notices a noose hanging in the garage of the only black driver in nascar and you might see the context in which this could be an issue

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've never seen a garage door of any kind use rope instead of a strap. Jury-rigged as gently caress

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Glad it turned out to be a false alarm. Wild that somebody used that particular kind of knot to tie a rope off. Wouldn’t be my choice!

That said, NASCAR still reacted properly, given the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man, decided to watch Days of Thunder and sure didn't remember a big fat confederate flag standalone shot for a few seconds like a minute in.