Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Also, even as young as he is, he has a real appreciation for the history and people that have made the sport. Brad has a similar booth presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
As far as teams go the Penske dudes are pretty cool overall.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Has it been mentioned that Myrtle Beach Speedway has been sold for demolition and redevelopment contingent on a rezoning that is effectively certain to happen?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/Thompsons_Photo/status/1236539993243385856

Aftermath

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lol, gently caress this pace car in particular

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
holy gently caress what's up with the track limits at Phoenix, cars are just like gently caress it I'll dive across the apron if I have to on a restart, gently caress a yellow line

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Horrible winner, entertaining race. Who knew fans were right for screaming for this combo

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I'll be excited if the season finale is that good. If we still have spectator sports by that time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

holy gently caress what's up with the track limits at Phoenix, cars are just like gently caress it I'll dive across the apron if I have to on a restart, gently caress a yellow line

The yellow line rule is only enforced at Daytona and Talladega but NASCAR is pretty lax with track limits everywhere else.

There's an entire racing line outside the curbs exiting the carousel at Watkins Glen and it's dumb as hell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

if it aint a double yeller gently caress it :clint:

but yeah Phoenix is like it is because when they built it, they had a road course in the center, and you would enter in through turn 1 and snake your way back out through turn 2 so the entire infield over there was paved and it required a dog leg, so theres not much down there that isn't legal ground to drive through

they sealed the road course a while ago, and just recently in the more recent renovation they move the start finish line up about 120 degrees so what used to be turn 1 and 2 is now turn 3 and 4, and the start/finish is now halfway up turn 4 instead of what is now the back stretch

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's an entire racing line outside the curbs exiting the carousel at Watkins Glen and it's dumb as hell.

isn't that the runoff that would lead to the boot if they would run that in NASCAR

run the boot NASCAR

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 9, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

if it aint a double yeller gently caress it :clint:

but yeah Phoenix is like it is because when they built it, they had a road course in the center, and you would enter in through turn 1 and snake your way back out through turn 2 so the entire infield over there was paved and it required a dog leg, so theres not much down there that isn't legal ground to drive through

To be clear, the inside of the dogleg wasn't paved over until they started loving with the banking.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

CBJSprague24 posted:

:getin:

The majority of the guests they have lined up have been interesting and really good interviews, but this promises to be one of the best.

Does anybody have preferred way of listening to his podcasts? I tend to prefer the drivers I grew up watching (Gordon, Smoke, Labonte, Rudd, etc), followed by legends and modern day personalities. I haven't listened to any of the IndyCar drivers or John Force yet, but I'm planning on circling back around them.
I come in and out on his podcast. If it is a current driver I def check it out and if it is a past driver that I really liked I def check it out. I just listened to a couple clips from Rick Mast that were good and honestly I couldn't turn the James Finch episode off. I really didn't know his history within the sport and it was really entertaining to hear a bunch of his stories. My only complaint was that he clearly had dry mouth like halfway through and the mic was way too hot allowing his dry mouth lip smacking to drive me up the loving wall but I hung in there anyway because most of the stories were good.

shame on an IGA posted:

Has it been mentioned that Myrtle Beach Speedway has been sold for demolition and redevelopment contingent on a rezoning that is effectively certain to happen?
This was going to be one of my next iRacing purchases, if it gets demo'd do you think they'll take it off schedules?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

isn't that the runoff that would lead to the boot if they would run that in NASCAR

run the boot NASCAR

No, it's the paved area between the entrance to the boot and the straightaway used by NASCAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EwmjGF4ug0&t=439s

...it's like "Here's this place where you're supposed to run but nah, let's just create an entirely new line to water this down." It used to be grass, but they paved it and now everyone runs way the hell outside the curbing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Same thing with Sonoma and the short chute. It's paved on the other side of the curb, so they just went around the curb to the outside lol

Also, gently caress the short chute thank the lord they went back to the full proper road course with the carousel.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Same thing with Sonoma and the short chute. It's paved on the other side of the curb, so they just went around the curb to the outside lol

Also, gently caress the short chute thank the lord they went back to the full proper road course with the carousel.

At least in that scenario, there was a possibility of the comedy option of someone destroying their car by running into the foam barrier on the exit of that corner. Blatantly running way the hell wide on the exit of the carousel at Watkins Glen is a bastardization of what road racing is supposed to be and GET OFFA MAH LAWN.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

Blatantly running way the hell wide on the exit of the carousel at Watkins Glen is a bastardization of what road racing is supposed to be and GET OFFA MAH LAWN.

uh weren't we all OK with Indycar running wide at turn 19 at CotA

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Yes but that's because COTA's layout is rear end. Watkins is fine*

*run as wide as you want on T1, it won't gain you any time

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

WindyMan posted:

no that poo poo was dumb as hell.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Hermann Tilke can blow it out his loving dickhole imo. Lazy rear end cookie cutter design

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drivers busting "track limits" rocks in all cirucmstances. if you dont want em driving out there, make it grass. thats the track owners problem... so in NASCAR, thats nearly always NASCARs problem. trying to use rules to keep people from going out there is dumb and bad.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cygni posted:

drivers busting "track limits" rocks in all cirucmstances. if you dont want em driving out there, make it grass. thats the track owners problem... so in NASCAR, thats nearly always NASCARs problem. trying to use rules to keep people from going out there is dumb and bad.

As long as its applied evenly.

SRO this weekend at COTA had a qualifying time get disallowed for track limits, and then allowed passing via that same spot for every race all weekend.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Track limits are being enforced at Indycar's CoTA race this year:

https://racer.com/2019/12/30/indycar-tightens-cota-track-limits/

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Did any of you guys watch that Battle for Daytona show on Motortrend? It is a 5 part series that picks up in like January and follows Austin Dillon, Tyler Reddick and Corey LaJoie through speedweeks and then the 500. It was kinda cool to get some first person insight on the Ryan Newman crash but I think the show did a decent job not making that the focal point considering that one of the drivers they were following were very involved in that wreck.

Corey LaJoie actually came off like a pretty normal dude. I knew they were a small team at GoFas Racing but I had no idea they only have 16 people working there, like in the shop. I'm not sure if they are counting like over the wall guys and stuff like that. I honestly didn't think shoestring teams were like under 25 people small. The show makes me want to pull for him more. Reddick to me seems like he gets it. First year in the series, has a lot to learn, finish all the laps he can is his biggest goal. He seems like he knows he's got a chance to make a career for himself in Cup if he can play it right. Dillon on the other hand comes off like a total douche. He just comes off with an attitude like, hey check me out I'm a bad rear end racecar driver and I earned it all myself. Even in his interactions with Reddick he's like, come on rook, lemme show you how the big boys do it where meanwhile he's accomplished about as much as Trevor Bayne ever did.

I would say it was fairly interesting, getting to see a little behind the scenes and the differences between a top organization and a bottom organization.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Cygni posted:

Then it becomes a safety issue. Paved run-off areas are much safer than grass, so ideally you'd like as much pavement as possible for drivers to be able to use to slow their cars or avoid obstacles in the track in an emergency without losing control, but that doesn't necessarily mean you want drivers to just be able to drive anywhere there's pavement at any time. Other series set and enforce track limit rules consistently even on tracks with large paved runoff areas, so there's no reason NASCAR couldn't do it in theory (though history suggests they would probably have a hard time with the "consistently" bit...).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dennyk posted:

Then it becomes a safety issue. Paved run-off areas are much safer than grass, so ideally you'd like as much pavement as possible for drivers to be able to use to slow their cars or avoid obstacles in the track in an emergency without losing control, but that doesn't necessarily mean you want drivers to just be able to drive anywhere there's pavement at any time. Other series set and enforce track limit rules consistently even on tracks with large paved runoff areas, so there's no reason NASCAR couldn't do it in theory (though history suggests they would probably have a hard time with the "consistently" bit...).

but those rules are dumb and bad. put astroturf out there or sausage curbs, whatever, doesnt have to be grass. its fun to see drivers push the limits of the track and step over them sometimes in the pursuit of a pass. racing is supposed to be fun. a 400 page rule book including track limit violations and other dogshit is not fun.

also i personally think the paved run off safety thing is overblown.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 10, 2020

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pretty sure most F1 tracks paved their runoffs at the request of MotoGP. I don't think they are actually safer than gravel for cars. There's been lots of bad crashes recently because a car has slid through a paved runoff at high speed.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Gravel is better than pavement, pavement is better than grass. There have been plenty of big grass related wrecks with stock cars.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There's a tiny paved runoff area at one of the lower series road courses in NH3 (I think Mosport exiting the two hard rights) to accommodate for cars/trucks putting left sides off. Maybe that's the answer so it's not so obnoxious.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
paved run off is best for keeping the vehicle rubber side down

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Cygni posted:

sausage curbs

Well, "sausage" curbs have their own issues...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ruch energy

https://racingnews.co/2020/03/10/mike-ruch-insults-delana-and-kevin-harvick/

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

quote:

Angela Ruch has her own online reality show called ‘The Ruch Life’ which airs on Facebook.

:laugh:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I love the part about Kyle, probably the best talent scout in the entire sport, putting Angela in one of his trucks until Sam nixed it. Super believable.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm surprised she's not claiming she's an influencer to try and capitalize on the perceived benefits of whatever the hell that's supposed to accomplish.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mischief posted:

Gravel is better than pavement, pavement is better than grass. There have been plenty of big grass related wrecks with stock cars.

for cars. As wicka said, it’s not good for bikes because they cause nastier accidents.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

anything cars can dig into can more easily cause them to get upside down.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I would much rather a car roll than slide almost unabated into a wall, but again, bikes have very different requirements.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'd think natural grass would be the best thing to fall off into if you're a bike racer. Obv less abrasive than tarmac and less likely than gravel to send you violently tumbling.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

harperdc posted:

for cars. As wicka said, it’s not good for bikes because they cause nastier accidents.

How many tracks are stock cars and bikes sharing? I'm not being a smart rear end, I legitimately don't know.

Stock cars run at a handful of road courses that have definitely benefited from adding gravel traps. There are also a handful of oval/ovalish tracks that have radically improved safety by paving grass sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NBA suspended ops, NHL is about to make announcement probably banning fans from poo poo. Wonder how long racing has =/