Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

harperdc posted:

Sebring with the Cup cars would be unreal.

All three series at once. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BRING BACK THE RINGERS

https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2...v3KjwtylCmapomA

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

devmd01 posted:

All three series at once. :colbert:

I’d watch NASCAR for that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/hoonable/status/1281272272825745413

nascar is officially back on top

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

purple underglow is always one of my first mods on a car in saint's row.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NASCAR..... good??

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Cygni posted:

NASCAR..... good??

Wait 5 minutes, they'll do something stupid

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

I'm pretty sure underglow counts as both good and stupid.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CactusWeasle posted:

The underglow is a touch random, but has the possibility to look cool. This:

https://twitter.com/Asteroidstrike9/status/1281019601388744704?s=20

...is rear end.

e- "Coom" is not a word. "Cool" is.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 9, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the numbers thing could work fine if the designers were allowed to put any effort at all into it

i'm positive that stringent brand standards, corporate oversight, and/or lazy design is going to be the thing that kills these cars

brendog
Mar 23, 2020

Hi all i've lurked around here long enough to get around to asking a (off-topic) question- does it bother anyone else that Jeff Gordon is in the booth for fox, conflict-of-interest wise? from the broadcasts i've seen he has been evenhanded but, like, how does one both partially own a team and be a main commentator at the same time? i like Jeff but just askin'

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

brendog posted:

Hi all i've lurked around here long enough to get around to asking a (off-topic) question- does it bother anyone else that Jeff Gordon is in the booth for fox, conflict-of-interest wise? from the broadcasts i've seen he has been evenhanded but, like, how does one both partially own a team and be a main commentator at the same time? i like Jeff but just askin'

We've suffered through Darrell loving Waltrip literally out loud shouting that he wants Junior to win, so we can deal with anything Jeff does

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

He owns the 48 and occasionally he seems a little biased but I think overall he does fine.

^ LET'S GO RACIN BOYS AND DANICAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I hope Dale's OK is bias when you think about it

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I'm incredibly bad at paying attention in general

but I asked in my group chat if anyone was excited for the xfinity race and nobody would have known if I hadn't mentioned it

I am way more online than any racing fan I know but still

How is NASCAR so bad at promoting the schedule

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm incredibly bad at paying attention in general

but I asked in my group chat if anyone was excited for the xfinity race and nobody would have known if I hadn't mentioned it

I am way more online than any racing fan I know but still

How is NASCAR so bad at promoting the schedule

unironically learned from this post there's an xfinity race today

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

brendog posted:

There have been owners of teams doing the broadcasts forever, it's nothing new at this point really.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

brendog posted:

I think my take would be that hes just commentating, hes not working in race control and determining penalties on track and such. So i guess the worst someone could do is steer TV attention towards the car they have a financial interest in, but at least in Jeff's case, he seems to very rarely bring up the #48 unless someone does first. At least from what I've picked up on.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

brendog posted:

You bring up Gordon, but not Junior who runs 2 cars in xfinity, commentator for NBC and also has a nascar podcast?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

iwentdoodie posted:

You bring up Gordon, but not Junior who runs 2 cars in xfinity, commentator for NBC and also has a nascar podcast?

Both of these are conflicts of interest but not quite as laughable as the owner of the now-defunct team caught in perhaps the most egregious cheating scandal in NASCAR history standing up for every decision that the sanctioning body makes in his paid position on FOX Sports.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

purple underglow is always one of my first mods on a car in saint's row.

Now take this one step further and use the garage music from Saint’s Row the Third in NASCAR broadcasts.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

The underglow is a touch random, but has the possibility to look cool. This:

https://twitter.com/Asteroidstrike9/status/1281019601388744704?s=20

...is rear end.

e- "Coom" is not a word. "Cool" is.

Plastering the car in obscure machine tool collet holders is dumb, expecting anyone to recognize the shillouette is galaxy-brain

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

brendog posted:

NASCAR is a small, incestuous community. Most of the teams are within 30 miles of each other, and everyone is loving everyone else's wife. The pit guys are particularly sketchy. There's no way to put together a broadcast team that doesn't include some conflict of interest.

Jeff G does a good job of calling races and not promoting his own interests. If you like it and enjoy watching, just put aside the conflicts and enjoy it. If you can't, find some other way to watch or listen. I don't mind the broadcasts, but my favorite way to follow races is MRN broadcasts with Claire B Lang and Dave Moody. Larry Mac is informative but he just kinda grinds on me for some reason. I think the rest of the FOX crew is the best of the lot for TV.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

story of my life

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

jeb............

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Spaced God posted:

unironically learned from this post there's an xfinity race today

do what now?

brendog
Mar 23, 2020

Dik Hz posted:

NASCAR is a small, incestuous community. Most of the teams are within 30 miles of each other, and everyone is loving everyone else's wife. The pit guys are particularly sketchy. There's no way to put together a broadcast team that doesn't include some conflict of interest.

Jeff G does a good job of calling races and not promoting his own interests. If you like it and enjoy watching, just put aside the conflicts and enjoy it. If you can't, find some other way to watch or listen. I don't mind the broadcasts, but my favorite way to follow races is MRN broadcasts with Claire B Lang and Dave Moody. Larry Mac is informative but he just kinda grinds on me for some reason. I think the rest of the FOX crew is the best of the lot for TV.

Totally get what you mean, along with the others mentioning Waltrip. just getting back into the sport after a long time away, hadn't fully realized the interconnections between NASCAR media and NASCAR itself as a kid. and thanks for the rec! i'll check out MRN

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

plus to be frank, any car owner in the booth has been far better at maintaining objectivity than darrell waltrip openly rooting for whatever random driver he felt like at any given time

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Honestly I had completely forgot that Jeff "owns" the #48. In the beginning wasn't it basically a, hey Jeff if you're gonna vouch for the kid you're gonna be on the hook as owner, combined with a, hey Jeff you've been the man for like 15 years so we're going to give you ownership stake, kind of situation? Then when NASCAR made a max team field Hendrick could basically say, I don't own the #48, Jeff Gordon does? I don't notice Jeff being any kind of bias. Excluding DW most owner/family member commentators are usually pretty fair from what I remember. Exceptions would be like when a JTG Daugherty car was like unbelievably in the top 10 and Brad Daugherty and the commenting crew would be like, hey man take a loving bow your poo poo box car finished well or when Dale Jarrett won the 500 and the guys in the booth basically told Ned Jarrett to call his son home. Those kind of moments are kind of cool rather than bias douche chill kind of stuff in my opinion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To what extent does it matter if an announcer is objective? They aren't personally controlling who we get to see, they're commentating and adding opinion on whatever is happening. Announcers can and do have wrong as hell opinions all the time and honestly that's half the fun sometimes.

If the 48 was suddenly getting more airtime because Jeff is in the booth, that's an issue. But considering who is in that car and what is going on with it, that car is going to get a ton of airtime no matter who is calling the race.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Does Jeff even have any real ownership stake in the car, or is he the "owner" on paper for NASCAR purposes? I remember entry lists used to be full of cars "owned" by the owner's wife or kids.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

bigbillystyle posted:

or when Dale Jarrett won the 500 and the guys in the booth basically told Ned Jarrett to call his son home. Those kind of moments are kind of cool rather than bias douche chill kind of stuff in my opinion.

I had to look this up on YouTube and yeah it owns a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-pUbAISj7Q

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

To what extent does it matter if an announcer is objective? They aren't personally controlling who we get to see, they're commentating and adding opinion on whatever is happening. Announcers can and do have wrong as hell opinions all the time and honestly that's half the fun sometimes.

normally it's fine and i don't care but DW was just awful about it. just like he was everything in the booth!

god i'm so glad he's gone

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kidcoelacanth posted:

normally it's fine and i don't care but DW was just awful about it. just like he was everything in the booth!

god i'm so glad he's gone

It's so nice to watch a race now. Mac is annoying as gently caress but still so much better.

Also, in case yall didnt see this.

https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/1281412494729318401?s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Honestly I had completely forgot that Jeff "owns" the #48. In the beginning wasn't it basically a, hey Jeff if you're gonna vouch for the kid you're gonna be on the hook as owner, combined with a, hey Jeff you've been the man for like 15 years so we're going to give you ownership stake, kind of situation? Then when NASCAR made a max team field Hendrick could basically say, I don't own the #48, Jeff Gordon does? I don't notice Jeff being any kind of bias. Excluding DW most owner/family member commentators are usually pretty fair from what I remember. Exceptions would be like when a JTG Daugherty car was like unbelievably in the top 10 and Brad Daugherty and the commenting crew would be like, hey man take a loving bow your poo poo box car finished well or when Dale Jarrett won the 500 and the guys in the booth basically told Ned Jarrett to call his son home. Those kind of moments are kind of cool rather than bias douche chill kind of stuff in my opinion.

They showed Daugherty's reaction in ESPN's infield studio when Dinger won at Watkins Glen in 2014 (JTG's only win so far) and it was :3:. He jumped up and down and hugged Rusty Wallace.

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Does Jeff even have any real ownership stake in the car, or is he the "owner" on paper for NASCAR purposes? I remember entry lists used to be full of cars "owned" by the owner's wife or kids.

Jeff has an equity stake in HMS and is the heir apparent to run the team once Rick hangs it up.

It used to be one person could only be listed on two cars, hence why Rick Hendrick's dad was the listed owner on the 25, Gordon was on the 48, Jack Roush's mom was on one of the Roush cars (99?), and Mark Martin was on the 17 (though I think he also had a financial interest in that team when it started).

e- Here's a good case study in this. (Roush's mom was on Kurt Busch's 97, team manager Geoff Smith was on the 16. Childress was on all four RCR cars which doesn't make sense): https://fantasyracingcheatsheet.com/nascar/races/entrylist/2005/daytona-international-speedway/daytona-500/1

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 10, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

brendog posted:

NASCAR and NBC were forced to confront this about twenty years ago; when ESPN decided it didn't want the NASCAR license anymore we got away from professional broadcast teams and went to more or less who's available from the Who's Who. NASCAR, Fox, and NBC all shrugged and said "looks fine to me" and we've all just accepted the blatant homerism as the cost of doing business.

As mentioned above, blatant cheater (and, if oldtime NASCAR poster leica is to be believed, absolute shitheart) Mikey Waltrip was basically allowed to lie, cheer, and plug his way through broadcasts with no repercussions. He wasn't even the most egregious; Rusty Wallace used to do Busch/Nextel broadcasts and several times a year you could hilariously see them hem and haw and not mention his son Stephen boneheadedly wrecking himself or others.

With DW, it was basically presented to us as a feature, not a bug. The end of the Daytona 500 in 2001 (you know, the Dale Takes A Right Turn race) was literally DW pulling for his brother.

Contrast this with Ned Jarrett, the consummate professional and Southern gentleman, who remained almost entirely professional calling many of his son Dale's victories, only breaking up that I remember after he won the first time at Daytona. (After.)

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Ned was A Great Broadcaster

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Elitist Bitch posted:

Ned was A Great Broadcaster

10-4. Dale is pretty decent too, but Ned was all-time.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

If the 48 was suddenly getting more airtime because Jeff is in the booth, that's an issue. But considering who is in that car and what is going on with it, that car is going to get a ton of airtime no matter who is calling the race.

Don't forget too that Robbie "Mo-mo-mentum" Buhl was in the booth doing Indycar races in the Versus TV days. He was part-owner of Dreyer and Reinbold during that time and was calling races that his car was running in.

I recall Bob and Scott Goodyear, I think, joking with him about having to write a big check if/after his car wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

90 minutes to green flag

last night got pretty wacky