Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

do people really think in their hearts that he deserved a lifetime suspension, or that anybody involved in the sport outside of the 10 people that post on this board would even want that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I think part of the problem people here have is that the whole thing seems manufactured and insincere. I personally think people make mistakes and you can't change someone's life based on a dipshit move. At the same time I can see where people feel like money and influence was thrown at this particular problem and he probably didn't really learn much other than some catch phrases and buzzwords.

Cancel culture is bullshit though. Let him without sin, etc. We're all assholes. We all make mistakes.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I think part of the reason nascar wants to put this in the past so quickly is all of this racial animosity from fans is inevitable whenever there is any kind of deviation from the status quo. it's not a good look to have your fans renting crop dusters to fly confederate flags over your tracks which is why they never banned them in the first place, even though they've known forever it was the right thing to do. I'm not saying that's right, but if nascar loses all it's racist fans, they couldn't fill a high school gym

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mischief posted:

I think part of the problem people here have is that the whole thing seems manufactured and insincere. I personally think people make mistakes and you can't change someone's life based on a dipshit move. At the same time I can see where people feel like money and influence was thrown at this particular problem and he probably didn't really learn much other than some catch phrases and buzzwords.

Cancel culture is bullshit though. Let him without sin, etc. We're all assholes. We all make mistakes.

Cancel culture aka actually facing consequences for your actions

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

chamois posted:

do people really think in their hearts that he deserved a lifetime suspension, or that anybody involved in the sport outside of the 10 people that post on this board would even want that?

i personally dont think he should have been banned by the sanctioning body forever, but this is absolutely an incredible own-goal for NASCAR ( of which Rick Hendrick is VERY much a part) emblematic of its comically lovely, out of touch leadership and ownership that will only accelerate the series ever quickening spiral out of the public eye. they have now managed to piss off both racists and non-racists in the same year in the most sloppy, clownshoes horseshit of ways.

as for the "we all make mistakes" poo poo, sure! but I cant remember the last time I, or anyone else who drives a Cup car full time, said the n-word to a coworker in front of thousands of fans. larson doesn't "deserve" a Cup ride, he hasn't "earned" a Cup ride, he isn't entitled to a second chance or redemption more than any of the other millionaire entertainers in the sport who have managed not to be outwardly racist dipshits.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

your friend wicka posted:

Cancel culture aka actually facing consequences for your actions

You can have consequences without ruining your life. It's called growing up.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

it's a sorry situation, that's for sure. basically Larson just had a major come-up off saying the N-word while any black kid who managed to get a dirt car built would be run out of most local tracks with pitchforks.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mischief posted:

In what universe do you equate "can't be a millionaire race car driver" with a ruined life?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

chamois posted:

I don't think he deserves a lifetime but a couple months off then right back to a better seat than he had before is a bad look

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tbqh calling a hendrick seat a slam dunk better car than ganassi is kind of a tossup at this point

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

mischief posted:

Noted child who made an oopsie, Kyle Larson

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

tbqh calling a hendrick seat a slam dunk better car than ganassi is kind of a tossup at this point

i'm not ready to blame Alex Bowman and William Byron's shortcomings on the equipment

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

chamois posted:

I think that in most career fields publicly known for working the n-word into your casual conversation would be career eliminating, or at least extremely career impeding. This motherfucker got some temporary embarrassment, a week of unemployment and then a promotion. His remorse is suspect at best, and his redemption arc is extremely polished and crafted.

You don't have a constitutional right to the job you want. gently caress him. There's plenty of non-racist (or at least better hidden) drivers out there that could have a seat.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Will be interesting to see which Fortune 500 company is willing to stick their neck out and make Larson an ambassador for their company.

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Mm, cancel culture.

To race you need sponsorship and the sponsorship you want is the one worth a lot of money. For the company to have a lot of money to spend on sponsorship, they need to be successful. To be a successful company to need to maintain things like not being racist or acting in ways that are illegal or will diminish your brand.

Tennis doesn’t work like this. Few hundred bucks and I can get you the best racquet and some great shoes, grab a tshirt and shorts and we can go down to some public courts and give it a go. Racing is nothing like this, that’s why there are so many spectators.. just participating requires a level of investment beyond many people.

So.. to be given the golden ticket.. for one of these huge rich racing teams and corporate partners to choose you.. you need to understand what I just said.

I agree cancel culture is bullshit and the modern online witchhunts lead by people that have never done anything more in their lives than post, driven by envy and spite, are garbage. But in racing we all want to sign that sponsor and to make such a simple and easy to avoid move like using the n-word is just.. its lazy. He deserves to lose it, plenty of other kids out there wanting the drive that might even deserve it and they’ll be sure to do their bit.

It’s a 24/7 job, it’s a lifestyle not a job. Don’t think I’d be too good at it to be honest, I can hopefully drive the car but constantly watching what I say I would find really oppressive. But that’s the deal, so yeah.. don’t say dumb poo poo in public chat.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

chamois posted:

i'm not ready to blame Alex Bowman and William Byron's shortcomings on the equipment

who's blaming either of them, they both made the playoffs. some other guy on that team didn't

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vomitorium posted:

Mm, cancel culture.

To race you need sponsorship and the sponsorship you want is the one worth a lot of money. For the company to have a lot of money to spend on sponsorship, they need to be successful. To be a successful company to need to maintain things like not being racist or acting in ways that are illegal or will diminish your brand.

Tennis doesn’t work like this. Few hundred bucks and I can get you the best racquet and some great shoes, grab a tshirt and shorts and we can go down to some public courts and give it a go. Racing is nothing like this, that’s why there are so many spectators.. just participating requires a level of investment beyond many people.

So.. to be given the golden ticket.. for one of these huge rich racing teams and corporate partners to choose you.. you need to understand what I just said.

I agree cancel culture is bullshit and the modern online witchhunts lead by people that have never done anything more in their lives than post, driven by envy and spite, are garbage. But in racing we all want to sign that sponsor and to make such a simple and easy to avoid move like using the n-word is just.. its lazy. He deserves to lose it, plenty of other kids out there wanting the drive that might even deserve it and they’ll be sure to do their bit.

It’s a 24/7 job, it’s a lifestyle not a job. Don’t think I’d be too good at it to be honest, I can hopefully drive the car but constantly watching what I say I would find really oppressive. But that’s the deal, so yeah.. don’t say dumb poo poo in public chat.

Ah yes, it's definitely envy and spite that makes me think broadcasting the n-word on Twitch is a bad thing

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
heh

its like any other job. you can be CEO of the bank and you'll get paid a lot of money but if you start broadcasting the n-word then yeah, you're gone. Just because he's racing cars doesn't mean he's a cool guy that gets to say whatever the gently caress he wants :D

edit: actually its not like any other loving job its a lot better than being the drat CEO of a stupid loving bank so like we'll let you drive and even smash our super expensive and cool racecar but can you just not like.. be a piece of poo poo? seems pretty fair to me.. and omg I wasn’t being a piece of poo poo I was just.. listen buddy, this isn’t a deal most people get offered..

edit2: as for Larson's next corporate sponsor, cancel culture has become so prevelant and so many people speak of it negatively that eventually the PR move is going to be to come back the other way and giving someone a second chance is something you can really market. If that time is now and if you want your company taking that chance, is a harder sell.

Vomitorium fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 29, 2020

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It’s not like Larson’s career was over. He just spent the last year stomping World of Outlaws.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ungratek posted:

It’s not like Larson’s career was over. He just spent the last year stomping World of Outlaws.

That's the worst part of the "he's suffered enough" crowd. Uh...no he didn't?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

chamois posted:

Also you have kurt busch driving ganassi cars and making bad cars look good is his thing

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

big nipples big life posted:

Also you have kurt busch driving ganassi cars and making bad cars look good is his thing

Speaking of Kurt Busch he wasn't even racist, just a general dick and rear end in a top hat to everyone around him and he had to earn his way back into nice equipment. He drove the #78 before it was good, the loving #51 for Finch and eventually getting the ride at Haas. I'd say at that time Kurt was just as good of a wheelman as Larson at the Cup level and he couldn't get a decent ride. But, it seems like all that work actually made him learn something about himself and how he was acting. I don't hear too much about how Kurt Busch is a dick anymore, which I think you would considering how practically everything is recorded on a cell phone now and when he did the bulk of his assholishness flip phones were the most popular phones and you still couldn't go a month without a Kurt is a dick story. I don't think Larson has had to actually reflect on his behavior. Oh he did some bullshit community service work or sensitivity training or something? But, like others have pointed out, he was also crushing every big dirt race from here to Wisconsin until being fast tracked to one of the best rides in Cup. I feel like the biggest lesson he's learned is don't "affectionately" call my friends N-words in public or over any kind of radio transmission.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Didn't Shane Hmiel get banned forever for smoking weed? Guys have been parked longer for poo poo talking the officials or driving like an rear end in a top hat than actually being an out and out racist.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Also a reminder that Carl Long's career was destroyed because he bought an engine that was out of spec by margins so small that no one on earth could see the difference (and he was still off the pace)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tim Richmond was run out of NASCAR in 1988 for getting AIDS. It was later revealed that nascar faked the drug tests they said he failed. He spent almost 2 years trying to get reinstated but he died before NASCAR lifted the ban.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

Speaking of Kurt Busch he wasn't even racist, just a general dick and rear end in a top hat to everyone around him and he had to earn his way back into nice equipment. He drove the #78 before it was good, the loving #51 for Finch and eventually getting the ride at Haas. I'd say at that time Kurt was just as good of a wheelman as Larson at the Cup level and he couldn't get a decent ride. But, it seems like all that work actually made him learn something about himself and how he was acting. I don't hear too much about how Kurt Busch is a dick anymore, which I think you would considering how practically everything is recorded on a cell phone now and when he did the bulk of his assholishness flip phones were the most popular phones and you still couldn't go a month without a Kurt is a dick story. I don't think Larson has had to actually reflect on his behavior. Oh he did some bullshit community service work or sensitivity training or something? But, like others have pointed out, he was also crushing every big dirt race from here to Wisconsin until being fast tracked to one of the best rides in Cup. I feel like the biggest lesson he's learned is don't "affectionately" call my friends N-words in public or over any kind of radio transmission.

I think this is the big thing for me. It’s not cancel culture to think that saying the n word (in a racing context, not even off the clock) should result in a longer suspension. Kurt basically floundered for years because he was an rear end in a top hat and he’s now one of the more likable drivers. Larson is an rear end in a top hat too, why should he be treated differently?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Any dumb rear end motherfucker comes into this goddamn thread and tells me that Kyle Larson was mistreated should eat a loving shotgun.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I hope some fuckhead WoO guy pulls a Tony Stewart on him before the season is over

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

chamois posted:

if he was some idiot 14-year-old who didn't understand the weight of what he said then i'd say maybe he deserves another chance, but uh, he's a grown-rear end man who absolutely 100% understood what he was saying and did it anyway.

more than that, any team and sponsor willing to get behind him sucks a fat dick. i guess it's fitting that he got hired by the team run by a convicted felon.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

no haas signed briscoe

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

more than that, any team and sponsor willing to get behind him sucks a fat dick. i guess it's fitting that he got hired by the team run by a convicted felon.

convicted felon who bought a pardon from Clinton, lol

also who is sponsored by Liberty University, basically White ISIS University

also by the way, that infamous picture of Jerry Falwell Jr from this summer with presumed hookers was on Hendrick's fuckin private yacht

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

that's MISTER hendrick to you

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

kidcoelacanth posted:

that's MISTER hendrick to you

this alone makes me wish no one donated bone marrow

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I can't wait to see who they got to sponsor Larson's car.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

No one even talks about Kurt Busch's weird maybe assassin ex anymore, he's gotten so boring.

gently caress Larson, and I say that as a former fan. I hope all the people who jump on the train out of spite are disappointed.

"Carry yourself with the confidence of a mediocre white man" indeed.

Peanut President posted:

I hope some fuckhead WoO guy pulls a Tony Stewart on him before the season is over

I'm callin' you out, Pnut...

Come back to the Discord.

Beachbum30
Feb 13, 2006

by Pragmatica
So is now dale J a racist now because he supports kyle LArson? I waana really know whats up!

Peanut President posted:

Wishing death on sombody is really cool assbag

You speople are the most angriest people ive ever seen :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

didn’t your last suspension tell you explicitly not to post in this thread, drunk racist guy?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Whoever said a Kyle Larson "redemption" story would play well with the confederate flag flying crowd hit the nail on the head. I don't think NASCAR is prepared to dump it's far-right fanbase quite yet, and bringing Larson back in is a foolish attempt to appease that group. I say it's foolish because nothing pleases these people, except maybe the few minutes of yellow after the black guy crashes that they can drunkenly hoot and holler through.

NASCAR has been bleeding sponsors and fans for quite some time, we all see that. They got the series up and running again through COVID-19 when no other major sports were able to do so, and through that had a chance to broaden their appeal while the spotlight was on. They banned symbols of hate, diversified the broadcast team, stood behind Wallace when it appeared he was being targeted, etc. I don't think they can keep the gains from all that by apologizing to the dwindling southern racist crowd at the end of the season.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

:byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Beachbum30 to Hendrick