Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:dale:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

You idiots should watch all the races and also discuss them in discord.

Only if I get to post HAIL SATAN every time someone crashes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/1222974702261559296

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:worship::devil:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

trump is the grand marshal

Please no

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tater_salad posted:

Member when they goon useta race.. what's he up to these days besides :catdrugs:

Still not giving us hats

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

really great finish

I'm surprised they only needed one attempt, but that was a good race all around. Even if it ended up having a big one just before the end, that was, as BNBL put, a wreck 12 laps in the making and you're fine with that, because they put it all out there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

Would’ve been funnier had he used a pic of groverhaus.

Don't think he wants to out himself, yet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

think he should have sat on that burnout until newman was out of the car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I know nothing about NASCAR or crash procedure. Is that standard for bad crashes or is it real, real bad?

It's been a long time since we've had one that bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/roushyates/status/1229575824980008963?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

It was a different media environment obviously, and it happened in a different part of the track where there were no stands.

But someone correct me if I’m wrong, didnt they just take Dale Earnhardt to the hospital as a formality? Like he died on impact and it was VERY obvious to the first responders, right?

I think that was the case. First responders normally are not allowed to declare someone deceased, but they can use "Injuries not compatible with life", which I'm pretty sure they used for Dale.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/roushyates/status/1229584535953854465?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NBCSN is a bit off because they last minute flexed the Caps at Knights game

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/dlama_fox35/status/1229591463119540226?s=21

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

surf rock posted:

I thought I was desensitized to this kind of poo poo but I just watched that clip and literally screamed JESUS CHRIST at that loving impact

That was my coworker's reaction. I remember that one when it happened and it was :stonk: to the extreme.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Initially, Earnhardt's looked pretty tame as far as race car crashes go. That one killed him and Newman walks away from this one. Baffling.

The ones that are tame looking tend to be the most dangerous. Dale hit the wall at pretty much full speed in the pre-HANS, pre-SAFER era. It's possible that either one of those things (as well as him not loosening his seatbelts on the last lap) saves his life, especially HANS.

Cars going airborne, while bad and can end up like this today, usually are "good" in so far that a lot of speed gets scrubbed off mid-air, meaning the impact tends to be lessened. It means gently caress all if someone hits you at 200 MPH because they have no time to react though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Me neither, it made it feel like the safety crew was slow getting there.

Same. Thankfully, high octane, liquid gasoline is not that prone to ignition (as THM pointed out), but in the context of everything, it was "OH gently caress HURRY".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I think it was, admittedly, fortunate that it happened yesterday instead of Sunday. Sunday you still have all the security theater bullshit going on, yesterday it's gone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

That still leaves a lot of not-good possible scenarios but that's still good news.

Yeah, I'm going with his career is all but over, but it's still a testament to those cars that he loving survived that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

now ryan must burn down an applebees.

:hmmyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:five:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

as long as that guy ain't Austin Dillon

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Didn't Newman propose re-enforcing the A-pillars a while ago?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also gently caress the 24, on principle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iwentdoodie posted:

Nascar Twitter is amazing this week.

Honestly it's better than any of the on track product short of trucks, which are also the cause of one of the newest issues. I love it.

???

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's probably the latter. 5 lugs is a better show but 1 lug is a better design for a race car in every other respect. I will miss 5 lugs though.

These are my feelings, as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NBA suspended ops, NHL is about to make announcement probably banning fans from poo poo. Wonder how long racing has =/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mearn posted:

Hey who says it's just the fans that are morons?

https://twitter.com/KyleLarsonRacin/status/1237923821463764992

The biggest thing is flu season also has a vaccine. This helps blunt the spread of it when it jumps to a vaccinated person and suddenly hits a dead end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, the most Jordan Taylor thing to happen:
https://twitter.com/GeicoCupSeries/status/1249539570733064195?s=20

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the biggest shock was finding out coke dumped him in the preseason

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shrub can kiss my rear end

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

Dale Jr is getting a show on NBC’s upcoming streaming service, Peacock, called Lost Speedways, where they go find old race tracks around the country and tell their stories.

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 is great so far. You should’ve watched that instead

I watched worst cooks in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Croc posted:

I assume camera operators are at risk and they might have a union rather than a ticket which says you may die but tough poo poo if that happenslolol

Also spotters