Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Darrell Waltrip retiring has literally pulled me 20% closer to watching NASCAR again by itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kevin Ward Memorial Sprint Cup Racing ‘21

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Bull Run is a great big road course, The Pits used to organize (iirc) an endurance race there every year that included driver swaps and special skins to make the cars look like touring cars.

Yep, they called it the Bathurst 1000.

That giant goddamned 60 degree banked hairpin saved was awesome. Charge right at the fucker at near full speed, it'll save you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yes, I'm very sure NASCAR will take a date from itself if this continues

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jesus christ. Shades of Mikey at Bristol.

https://twitter.com/PalmerGuyBoston/status/1229597358863867906

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cygni posted:

I hate Ryan Newman as a human being but happy hes not tits up yet.

Same. I don't want to see another fatality in NASCAR again, I'm glad we still haven't seen one since Dale.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

Crashes that go up into the catch fence are so scary looking. I can't even imagine seeing that close up in the stands.

I got real squirrelly about going to races after that Indycar wheel went in the stands at Charlotte and killed 3 people. (Which was a year after it happened at Michigan and killed 3.)

I talked to an old guy at Dega in 99 who said he had been right there at the stretch of stands that Bobby Allison went airborne at. Said all he could see in time was Bobby Allison's muffler system coming at him at 200mph and the car just deflecting off.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

They said it was amicable. Hopefully that's true. Hopefully they're still on good terms.

She was on Twitter reacting as you'd expect.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, once in a while you get some poor track marshall getting confronted out of the blue with a nightmare they absolutely didn’t sign up for (imagine being first on the scene to the aftermath of the Pryce/Van Vuuren collision, Jesus Christ).

Technically Van Vuuren was first to the scene

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

God, why does everything and anything related to Childress suck so drat bad

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Dumb question- why do passenger cars have 5 lugs instead of one

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I mean, non-zero chance he leans into and gets a White House job right

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The best part of lionizing Kyle Busch is that nobody has everbefore been so good at reminding you that you shouldn't want to meet your heroes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Want it to be that NASCAR game on Nintendo where motherfucking cheat code rear end rubber band AI Bill Elliott came back to beat your rear end every time, but have it happen to his son

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

and by all accounts really nice guys

RIP Leica

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

just race the fuckin haulers

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Dale Jr is getting a show on NBC’s upcoming streaming service, Peacock, called Lost Speedways, where they go find old race tracks around the country and tell their stories.

Augusta's will be pretty good. It's now a public park; a few turns can still be found in the wooded areas, and the pit road wall still exists behind the library.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This 100,000 cameras poo poo got old really, really quick

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

New thread title needded

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

3:2 - rando crewmember on backmarker team
5:1 - rando crewmember on Mike Harmon's team
7:1- Mike Harmon

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jussie Smollett trending all day on Twitter because people suck

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The highest-ranking driver I ever got to see use the n-word in person is Cale Gale

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Spaced God posted:

The most southern alabama thing I could think of is someone saying "hey can you tie a knot for this pull rope real quick" and the person just instantly, instinctively tying a perfect noose from muscle memory the second a rope is put in their hands

Talladega is NOT southern Alabama.

Perversely, Alabama gets worse the further north you get.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've never seen a garage door of any kind use rope instead of a strap. Jury-rigged as gently caress

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

-rigged is a euphemism that also has a very bad history too!

I know the bad version, but didn’t think about it; is jury-rigged just a sanitised version?

E- whew, other way around

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That's a goddamn loving noose

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Mike harmon racing crew chief suspended indefinitely for behavioral violations, shocking absolutely no one.

DID HE DO IT

DID I CALL IT?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

No lie this is exactly what iRacing is like in these things at this track, too. I thought it was just idiots online, but nope.

Wayyyy back in the 1st (and only) NASCAR supported online series, the NROS (using NASCAR Racing 2), I qualified for their championship series ( I think it was top 300 or 500 in the rankings, can't remember). One of the races was Pocono, and using my vaunted "I'm staying away from every one of you crazy motherfuckers" strategy I finished like 3rd.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Video of Portnoy n-wording it up all over the place going viral, NASCAR (per Jenna Fryer) completely radio silent

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

gotta love all the (shrug) people in the mentions, like they 1000% wouldn't set fire to the team hauler if it ran a THANK YOU OBAMA paint scheme

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Oh no it's Corey Lajoie hard in the wall, who could have possibly forseen that hard right turn right after the beginning of his race

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That was some Montreal-level race finish

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Spaced God posted:

Is.... Is that man's name Robert Probert

Pro-bert, as in someone that thinks Ernie is the inferior muppet.

And has a ravenous appetite for cocaine. And could punch a hole in your head.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

He was asymptomatic so it's unsurprising.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Is Sebring one of those tracks that can only be used at certain times or is it just free to race on?

If you mean the airport it is part of, no. Airport operations aren't affected by the track.

If you mean can you just drive onto it and race......kinda? They might get mad at you about it tho

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

brendog posted:

Hi all i've lurked around here long enough to get around to asking a (off-topic) question- does it bother anyone else that Jeff Gordon is in the booth for fox, conflict-of-interest wise? from the broadcasts i've seen he has been evenhanded but, like, how does one both partially own a team and be a main commentator at the same time? i like Jeff but just askin'

NASCAR and NBC were forced to confront this about twenty years ago; when ESPN decided it didn't want the NASCAR license anymore we got away from professional broadcast teams and went to more or less who's available from the Who's Who. NASCAR, Fox, and NBC all shrugged and said "looks fine to me" and we've all just accepted the blatant homerism as the cost of doing business.

As mentioned above, blatant cheater (and, if oldtime NASCAR poster leica is to be believed, absolute shitheart) Mikey Waltrip was basically allowed to lie, cheer, and plug his way through broadcasts with no repercussions. He wasn't even the most egregious; Rusty Wallace used to do Busch/Nextel broadcasts and several times a year you could hilariously see them hem and haw and not mention his son Stephen boneheadedly wrecking himself or others.

With DW, it was basically presented to us as a feature, not a bug. The end of the Daytona 500 in 2001 (you know, the Dale Takes A Right Turn race) was literally DW pulling for his brother.

Contrast this with Ned Jarrett, the consummate professional and Southern gentleman, who remained almost entirely professional calling many of his son Dale's victories, only breaking up that I remember after he won the first time at Daytona. (After.)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Elitist Bitch posted:

Ned was A Great Broadcaster

10-4. Dale is pretty decent too, but Ned was all-time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That's Dr. Jerry Punch

god that loving crew was the best in racing history

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think it's actually IROC, correct? Just a thing that is like IROC kind of.

IROC was all superspeedways so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Elitist Bitch posted:

Did any of you guys catch the Dale Jr. Download with Mark Martin? Mark said a few interesting things about being at Roush that made me think he wasn't entirely happy there.

like what?