Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Dusting off the ol' forum.

Someone remind me, are we getting new pit rules this year? I feel like I remember some sort of insane new rules for tires and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I figured it was worth coming back to the thread just to add to the choir of "gently caress Kyle Larson". What a tool. If Bubba could lose a sponsor for quitting a race then Larson deserves to lose a sponsor for being a racist.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
This is the most redneck thing I've watched in a long time.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
You guys! I wanted to come back and show some support for this loving place in its hour of need. I should post more to contribute to this community.

Edit- To contribute, I really don't think NASCAR did anything wrong in this situation. I know that there has been some bullshit on Twitter, but 90% of the world doesn't pay attention to Twitter. It isn't like NASCAR waited weeks to release the picture, it's Thursday, the incident was reported on Sunday, and the investigation completed on Tuesday. What should be remembered was that NASCAR did the right thing, the 43 team did the right thing, and that we should all be happy that there isn't a wanna-be lynch mob hanging out in the garage area in secret. Personally I see this as a positive moment for NASCAR.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 26, 2020

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

It always amazed me how quickly Roush went from a powerhouse in Cup to complete irrelevance.

There's always a reason why that happens, and it isn't just that Roush one day forgot how to manage a winning organization. More than likely dominoes that he couldn't replace began to fall as people got sick of his poo poo. If you're surrounded by other teams with owners that treat their employees better, you're going to have a hard time keeping talent. Kenseth and Edwards leaving Roush was stunning from the outside, but it speaks to the inner workings of the organization not being good.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I thought both Michigan races were pretty good this weekend.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I agree with WindyMan. This is the points system, it's been 15+ years, get over it. I love you guys, and chatting with all of you during the races makes things a lot of fun, but some of you need to let go of a points system that was flawed and hasn't existed for a decade and a half. All of the complaining is blinding you to the fact that the playoff format has made every single race compelling as hell. I've been saying it since 2017, but once they went to this knock-out format, they really hit on something good. They could tweak it slightly, but overall I think they need to leave it alone. All of the changes from 2004 to 2017 really hurt the Chase's legitimacy, and contributes to the bitching that we still see today.

In the end you guys, sports are suppose to be fun. If you're watching this and just getting pissed, or only finding enjoyment in the bitching, you're doing it wrong. This is the format, all the drivers understand it and accept it, and you should too. You don't have to love it all the time, and there are flaws, but take 4 hours off every week to just enjoy something. Stop insisting that the old ways were always better- most of us here are under 40, don't give in to being old crotchety people so young.

As I said in discord, the race today actually got me to turn off football- that's a huge win for NASCAR.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I prefer the points system from 1973 because it awarded points by the length of the race. That doesn't mean we're ever going back to it. How long can we really be upset about something before it's no longer useful? At some point you're only hurting yourself. I'm sure people hated the new points system in 1968, but at some point you just have to let it go.

WindyMan posted:

If nothing else, they MUST fix the last race. NASCAR emphasizes winning being the most important thing all year, but in the last race winning is optional as long as you finish ahead of everyone else. It should be winner-take-all unless none of the Champ 4 wins, then it goes back to reset points + carried over playoff points + points and playoff points earned in the last race. At least then someone can build up a big enough points buffer to potentially survive getting KO'd in the last race, and making those last points still matter in the first place.

Luckily this hasn't happened, but it would be wise to get a plan in place. It's bound to happen, some day all four championship drivers are going to have a bad day; maybe one guy just misses the setup, and the other three are involved in accidents/mechanical failures, and that guy who missed the setup and finishes 27th 1-lap down will be the champion. That's going to be a real wet fart of a championship, and if NASCAR doesn't prepare for it they're going to end up scrambling like they did in 2004.

As it is currently constructed, the stages mean NOTHING in the final race. It undermines the strategy of 35 races when there is nothing to gain by finishing well in the stages of the last race. It's an odd oversight that NASCAR didn't take into account when formulating this system. It would almost make more sense to do away with stages entirely for the final race and just have the purest possible race. No stage breaks, no pre-planned cautions, just 400 miles. But I think it's best to keep things consistent the entire season- so keep the stages and just make them matter by allowing points to be a deciding factor. It gives a driver who has been consistent for 35 races an advantage, but not too much of an advantage where the championship is all but decided.

Also, NASCAR needs to clamp down on team orders and cooperation. That poo poo that JGR pulled last year with the pitstalls was unsportsmanlike. Maybe the four champ drivers get randomly assigned 1 of 4 spaces, or they qualify in a group and then decide on their pits stalls before everyone else qualifies.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

GD_American posted:

drat good idea, only Hooters car I have is a Brett Bodine tribute to Kulwicki

was that the baseball scheme?

oohhh another good one, loved that Texaco scheme. Refuse to get a Ricky Rudd or Swervin' Irvan one tho, so will have to pay the Davey premium

What's wrong with Rudd?