Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Post about anime movies in this thread! They often get overlooked for their serial television cousins but they're pretty drat good! Also, this year I want to make a list of ADTRW's Favorite Movies, just because. So talk about anime movies you like and why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Reserved.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like the k-on movie. Sometimes when you talk about a movie being an extended episode of a tv show thats supposed to be a negative thing, but the movie is good fun, hits the right emotional beats and features plenty of yui.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you have a chance to watch Promare it's totally worth it.

When I saw the trailer initially I wasn't really all that impressed, it just looked like a loud mess of colors and shapes that would be hard to follow and mecha stuff is very whatever to me so I was just going to skip it.

Then I got brainwashed by all the fanart flooding my twitter timeline for months :v: It ended up still being kind of hard for me to follow at times (and the mecha stuff is still very whatever) but it was a really fun movie and the characters are all great. Also Galo and Lio are married

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought the antagonist of Promare was a woman for months until I watched a trailer where he actually speaks. That's my Promare story

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 3, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I rewatched Silent Voice the other night since I got the box set for Christmas. That movie is still a little overstuffed and awkwardly paced at points, it's still got some of the most impressive and gorgeous cinematography I've ever seen, and the final scene is still one of the greatest things I've ever seen animated. Heckuva film.

Also watched The Tale Of Princess Kaguya early last month and never got around to posting about it in here - liked it much more than I expected to after hearing some conflicting things about it going in. Another ridiculously pretty movie, up there with Silent Voice in my top 3 or 5 just in terms of raw visual cinema. Absolutely adore the classical, painterly style. I also don't usually go for tragic endings, but the fairytale framing and the real palpable sense of hurt the movie seems to carry for Kaguya really made this one work for me. I really liked how it struck me as a very obviously feminist-leaning movie even without anyone ever openly saying or even quite directly implying how Kaguya's misfortune is tied in with her gender and the expectations that brings.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some stuff to look forward to:

Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai – The Clouds Gather
https://twitter.com/saezuru_anime/status/1188062720463196161?s=20

Umibe no Étranger
https://twitter.com/BLUELYNX/status/1187504183802564616?s=20

Given
https://twitter.com/given_anime/status/1174723272040075265?s=20

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
spring song spring song spring song SPRING SONG SPRING SONG :unsmigghh:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is lupin the third the first gonna be good or bad

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Stairmaster posted:

is lupin the third the first gonna be good or bad

It seems like its moving away from the more gritty tone the most recent works have been going for which is a big plus in my books. I think Lupin works better with the more lighthearted tone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

But also I heard that the trailer was done by a different studio than the actual film

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked the Code Geass movie. Mostly because it finally gives the series the correct ending.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Both the Made in Abyss sequel movie and the Shirobako sequel movie are airing Q1 this year, and I could not be more excited. Now, we wait.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I've long lapsed from having any interest in the games, but the designs and style of Pokemon are still a big favorite of mine, so I treated myself to a double feature of recent franchise films the other night. The CG remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back was fine for what it was, all the mons look great save maybe Meowth in a few shots. Comes off as really safe, ultimately; there were plenty of moments were it felt the animators could've played the 3D techniques more than just recreate gags and shots that were designed more for 2D.

The Power of Us was a shocker tho, it blew me away. Really sweet, fun, cute story w great characters and animation. There are pokemon all up and down this flick in all these great, densely-populated crowd shots and they're all cute as a button and animated wonderfully. Was really not expecting to love this film as much as I do, but I had no real complaints. Fuckin loved it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ride Your Wave got fansubbed and it's simultaneously both the funniest and most emotional movie I've seen from Yuasa. Really hoping it plays near me once it starts getting screened, would love to see it on the big screen.

Also as a heads up, Weathering With You is gonna play in US theaters a week from today. I'm quite interested in it because Shinkai now has the clout to do literally anything he wants and he chose to make what on the surface looks to be the exact kind of movie he'd have made if Your Name was just a mild success instead of the biggest hit imaginable. I'm not surprised about this turn of events, just real curious to see it for myself.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I didn't realise Ride Your Wave had already gotten a home release - I got a chance to see it at a screening a while back and second the recommendation. It's a very nice movie that definitely benefits from the big screen experience as well as just being a good time in general. I didn't expect it to be as funny as it was, just a bunch of likable and pretty genuine characters and the crowd I saw it with was really into it.

The only possible caveat is I hope you like the insert song! Cause you're going to hear it a bunch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wound up digging that song because of the montage where they're singing it and occasionally giggling over some of the cheesy lyrics. Really came off as incredibly sincere to me, like they genuinely love the song but will also cop to it being corny (but are having a good time nonetheless).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watched kyochu rettou which was just bad. incredibly ugly, badly written and dull. despite being a movie it looks worse than a low budget tv anime

this is an actual scene from it

https://files.catbox.moe/3n5bqe.webm

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

watched kyochu rettou which was just bad. incredibly ugly, badly written and dull. despite being a movie it looks worse than a low budget tv anime

Look, they clearly paid to produce that rocking music track but had nowhere to put it in the movie proper-you wouldn't deny them the opportunity to share some sweet rifts, would you?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The song sounds like the background music on a Sonic Adventure cutscene, or like the menu music from a Windows 95 game about driving semi trucks painted with flames.

To contribute, the last movie I saw was Promare and it owned. Got my tickets to Weathering With You this Thursday, will report back.

From last year if you haven't seen Penguin Highway I thought that was really quite good.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 12, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I saw Weathering with You.

It's good!

Apparently, the bit that required the prestige and talent from Your Name was the rain. It's raining all the time in the film, there's reflections everywhere, and it looks amazing.

The rest of the film didn't fail either. The jokes mostly landed, the characters were likable and bounced off each other in distinct ways, setups tended to pay off, and in general, it was just a good movie.

The ending was interesting. Shinkai had the traditional "Love sacrificed for the good of the world" bit... and the hero promptly went "gently caress that!", massively expanding his criminal record and flooding Tokyo to save Hina.

It made total sense for the characters, and structurally it all checked out, but it still felt gutsy. Normally, these things either end with the sacrifice, or the hero finds a way to save the girl, the world, all of it. Here, there's a choice and there's consequences. Not that we're shown bodies in the street or anything, but Tokyo is flooded, and even if we don't hear about deaths, we do see that people lost their homes and the city has been massively changed due to the choices the protagonists made.

Also, Taki and Mitsuha from Your Name show up, which suggests pretty rough luck on the part of Mitsuha. Grows up in a town, it's destroyed by a meteor. Moves to Tokyo, it floods. One more incident like that, and she's going to be driving down real estate value just by looking at tourist brochures.

Oh, and since the sub screening was sold out, I saw the dub. I didn't have many issues with it, but the leads really didn't sell monologues as well as they handled dialogue, which made a few scenes rougher than they had to be.

Overall, I don't think I liked it as much as Your Name, but it's still an exceptionally good movie.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Weathering with You is super good! Follows in the recent trend of stuff like Ride Your Wave, Lu Over the Wall and After the Rain where water and rain is a constant presence and motif in all its moods and forms, really lovely work the whole film. The story actually tackles a lot of the same topics as recent Ikuhara if you can believe it, and imo manages to surpass him in a few ways. Not in that it's a searingly insightful work of queer art or anything, more in how it tells a grounded, sweet and efficient magical realism yarn about urban kids and young adults clinging together thru such trials as loss, displacement, powerlessness, feeling like you're always just on the razor's edge of survival while every institution and system that was supposed to help is actively either shutting you out or threatening to tear your found family apart the sec it looks your way, and still smiling all the way. The ending is a shocker; it works more emotionally than literally, but I think I got what it wast rying to say. Loved it.

Ride Your Wave is also great. It's fun seeing a Yuasa thing centered on young adults. I have less to say about it in particular, there's no real shocks or anything. Just a lovely story about love, loss and picking you and yours back up when life leaves you lost and needing a hero.

Finally, like a year or so ago, I saw MUTAFUCKAZ, which is on netflix now I think, and it...was fine. It sho is a Studio 4 C movie, for all that entails. It also sho is some Adult Animation, alright, right down to the mortifying racism taking up a not-insignificant chunk of it. Every last second of the Palm Hill scenes made me want to crawl into a hole and die, but the rest of it's alright I guess.

The main thing I liked, dare I say the only thing, is the broship between the male leads, the love they have for each other felt convincing and endearing. Like, there's a scene where they have to go back to their shithole town to save the biggest weenie they know, and of them is flipping his poo poo about how he hates him and we JUST escaped from that last situation and AGHHHH gently caress THAT GUY!!!. Then he breathes for a sec, gets over it, turns to his friend, "...so we really doin this?" "Yup." "Siiiigh. Alright." I like stuff like that.

Also there are some cute luchadors in it for a combined half a minute, so that's nice.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 18, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Watched Karuizawa Syndrome, which is about a failed av photographer going back to his hometown to mooch off of the girl he grew up with and inexplicably there are tons of beautiful women just hanging around in his sleepy resort town. It's enjoyable as an anime movie about the lives of mid-late 20s adults that's pretty frank about sexuality and has a thematic thrust about abandoning the childish habits we keep into adulthood. The mc is kind of a scumbag and it ultimately lets him off the hook for it as though he's noble at heart which I didn't like. The movie feints toward more complicated developments about this but never really follows up on them. The visuals can be pretty and resonant in that way low budget 80s anime tend to be to make up for their lack of technicality. The soundtrack is quite good as well.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Watched Sanctuary, the OVA adaptation of the eponymous manga written by Buronson of Hokuto no Ken-fame and illustrated by Ryoichi Ikegami who you might know as the artist behind Crying Freeman.

The two main characters, Asami and Houjou, are two survivors of the cambodian genocide; traumatized by this experience they are driven to create a sanctuary for themselves in japan. In order to do that, they take two more-or-less different paths: Houjou joins the yakuza while Asami becomes the aid of a politician. The manga is nearly 110 chapters long while the OVA is just a bit over an hour, which sadly means that this very interesting aspect of the protagonists backstory is completely cut.

The major theme of Sanctuary is generational conflict. Both Asami and Houjou need to wield real power to build their little sanctuary as soon as possible, but they can't as long as they're stuck in their respective strict workplace hierarchy (Asamis boss is himself only allowed a ministerial position now in his late 60s). Will their ruthlessness and cleverness be enough to break through the calcified japanese social system?

Sanctuary is a cool little thriller about two young men pulling a fast one on old morons who underestimate them. There's a ton of tits in it, which is epic, but in one scene those tits get licked by a gross 60 year old politician, which is decidedly unepic. In order to secure funding for his political campaign Asami is forced to spitroast some slut with a different gross old politician, but luckily for the viewer this happens offscreen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as part of a movie festival i watched no 7 cherry lane, a hong kong anime film so badly animated it makes cgi anime look good, at one point during a tennis scene they rather obviously avoided showing the tennis ball, knowing they lacked the skill to animate it.

a movie so dedicated to opposing to concept of show dont tell, it makes re;creators look well written. about half of the scenes have a narrator describing whats on scene, like it was the most literal book adaptation ever ( its not an adaptation)

clocking in at a massive 2 hours, i saw double digits of people in the cinema fall asleep within the first half hour and i was only a few rows removed from the front row, who knows what happened behind me

terrible

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In the same movie festival as the last time i had the pleasure to see children of the sea. I also had the displeasure to see it at 9 am, which meant i had go get up before 6 to see it. This resulted in me having trouble staying awake and following the story, so maybe the story was just not all that well set up, or maybe i missed a bunch of it, who knows. Before sleep started assaulting me it was rather generic outcast girl meets manic pixie dream boys, after that there was more going on, but nothing all that interesting (film friends appeared to agree)

ANYWAY, the important part is that it was absolutely stunning visually, a true pleasure to watch from beginning to end, while even most anime movies nowadays seem to have animation issues, my only annoyance with this was the insanely huge eyes. The sound design was also marvelous, a step beyond for anime and accompanied by a fantastic sound track by the legend joe hisaishi, rather than most soundtracks that seem like a 24/7 assault on the media illiterate to get them to feel the right emotions, this was an ocean inspired beauty. Highly recommended for those interested in great visuals, and those that drink coffee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just saw Weathering With You, which as mentioned above is super good. The interview after was well worth sticking around for.

And of course before the show they had the trailer for my other modern fave director's new flick, Ride Your Wave. Which looks like it's getting one showing and that's it :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Watched 2018's Penguin Highway last night.

...Eh? I didn't get it? But also I had a fair amount of fun not getting it?

Charming movie, very pretty, delightful animation, but I didn't really get anything out of the writing beyond a pretty simple and somewhat self-important (especially late in the movie) puberty story. Don't regret watching it, but don't expect to go back any time soon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Weathering with you was a bland 2 hour mcdonalds commercial retread of shinkais usual shtick, with even more lowest common denominator pop rock inserts... somehow

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

What are you talking about? This is a masterpiece of cinema, you little cigarette stomper!

Any average cabron can, with some effort, make something that's pleasing to look in motion. It takes a real loving master of the craft to make you feel like you've wasted 80 seconds of your life and wish for them back.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watched some movies recently. Scribbled some things.

Weathering With You – After thinking about it this might just be my favorite Shinkai movie now. Not as clean of a movie as Your Name. In fact it's quite messy. But I'm able to connect with that messiness. Maybe it's because it results in delaying the usual Shinkai theme of two people separated by distance; it only really kicks in at the third act and until then it's more about teens trying to survive in a harsh city. Or maybe it's because it goes with a buck wild choice when it comes to resolving that separation, easily the most memorable part of the film. Or maybe it's that with Ride Your Wave so fresh in my mind I was excited to see another anime movie that's just as wet. Who knows!

Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower – A dare backfired in my face and it just so happened that it resulted in this becoming a movie night pick. Nice animation but was otherwise a dreadful slog.

Welcome to the Space Show – I'm not gonna say that every children's movie needs to be 90 minutes or less, but I am gonna say that if it is longer than 90 minutes it needs to have an airtight justification. Welcome to the Space Show regrettably does not and suffers for it throughout its runtime of 2 hours and 15 minutes(!). It's a vibrant, lively movie that unfortunately begins to fall apart in its third act (which begins around the time that most movies of this sort would be ending!) in which you have the usual sort of save the world shenanigans going on with some one-dimensional villains and there's not enough there behind the characters to make up for that. Especially the villains; something that's kinda wild is that one of the villains is the ex-girlfriend of one of the main characters and they bring it up multiple times and yet they never interact with each other in the movie. It's unfortunate that it crumbles at the scripting and editing levels. A tighter script that ditched the more superfluous characters and gave some more thought in how the villains were written could have gone a long way towards saving this movie. As is, It's a movie with some delightful moments but some ultimately unsatisfying pacing.

Laidbackers – A trifle, but not in a negative way. It feels like catching a few middle episodes of the kind of average light novel anime that only gets a single season and is quickly forgotten after it ends. Not much to read into as it's a story that goes through the motions with a bunch of archetypes, but not unpleasant either; it does come with the benefit of heavily abridging or outright skipping what would normally be some tedious lore dumping (and given that it's a reverse isekai there could have been a lot of that!).

Tatsumi – A combination of snapshots of various points of the life of the creator of the Gekiga movement (aka manga that wasn't for kids), and adaptions of some of his short stories. The biographical elements are quite broad and feel like there's a lot cut out (I haven't read his biographical manga which this heavily takes from for those sections but it certainly comes across like they adapted some pivotal scenes from it instead of forming it into a cohesive narrative), so the real joy in this movie is seeing an animated version of some of his short stories. Sometimes they're poignant, sometimes they're crude, and sometimes they're both. Stories that pushed the envelope for an artistic reason and not just for the sake of doing it. They're all quite compelling and have aged gracefully. The animation is limited, but it's able to keep the original art style and works within its limitations to provide an appropriate atmosphere.

Like the Clouds, Like the Wind – When looking up information about this movie I saw a review that compared it to animated movies during the 90s that were clearly trying to follow in Disney's footsteps. It's hard to disagree, especially since just like how some of those movies went so far as to recruit ex-Disney animators, so does this movie have some Ghibli animators & one of their character designers on board. Based on a historical fiction novel its first half shows a fair amount of promise and feels like it could fulfill an off brand Ghibli role. After all it features a plucky heroine who bucks societal trends and keeps surprising those around her as she competes to become the first wife of the new emperor. It's unfortunate that it runs into a few problems. Because it's a tv movie, its runtime is predetermined at under 90 minutes and it suffers for it. Character arcs come and go without much weight behind them and there is an unusual amount of references to off-camera events. I can't help but feel that they had to cut a lot to adapt the full story while keeping to a set runtime, and it's a shame. Also a shame: the music! It's some very dated tunes frequently at odds with the tone of the story to the point where it's legitimately some of the worst music direction I've seen in quite awhile, anime or otherwise.

Dragon Quest: Your Story - They did a fantastic job with the CG animation, some of the best I've seen out of the anime industry. Sometimes the way characters moved around reminded me of stop motion animation. It's a delight to watch in action! I just wish that animation quality was attached to something that didn't have a jumbled mess of a first act and a terrible twist at the end that pissed away most of my enjoyment. Ah well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Who was the idiot that made you watch heavens feel without having read the novel. I'm going to beat them up

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think i forgot to post about like the clouds but i enjoyed it. for a kids movie it didn't talk down to its audience (which is something even a lot of adult anime can't manage) and the setting was nice

shame only a single other work of the writer has been translated when he's rather prolific

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yea while I wish I liked it more it did enough to make me go out and look to see if the book was translated (alas).

Stairmaster posted:

Who was the idiot that made you watch heavens feel without having read the novel. I'm going to beat them up

Awhile ago I had them watch Tamala 2010 which for most audiences is exactly like getting beat up.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dragon Quest: Your Story is on Netflix now!

It's very pretty but that studio is definitely stronger in texturing/lighting/rendering/comp than animation. A lot of the acting scenes are clumsy and very slightly polished pose-to-pose. The CG animation Orange does for their shows looks a lot more naturalistic, which makes me think the animators weren't filming reference for their shots (whereas Orange uses edited mo-cap for their acting shots.)

The plot is DQ 5 until the last 15 minutes where it twists, and manages to insult the audience twice! First, an AI replacing the final boss tells the main character he's childish and rotting in nostalgia for playing the VR version of the game. So the audience feels insulted. Then the main character defeats the final boss with a cloying speech about how it might be a game but all the characters and the world are real! Which makes our protagonist seem a bit too invested in video games, and slightly mentally ill. They should've just stuck with the original plot. Also they leave out the Hero's daughter, which is too bad.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Really liked "Ride Your Wave", and it's such a treat to see Yuasa's wobbly style on the big screen.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watched the 3 cgi resident evil movies. the first one was a bit dull, but the other two really ramp up the re shlock so theyre good fun whenever a scene isn't just people talking

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the best movie that will release this year, girls und panzer das finale part 2 finally released today and it improved on the previous part in every way: less shark team, showing the french are total losers and focusing on teh better jpn team

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Meisou-Ou Border, which is about two poor (one of the characters lives in a bathroom) late twenties/early thirties? guys who get hired by a news company to fake a yakuza documentary. Rare genuinely disheveled protagonists and it ends on a very strange and sad note for how goofy it is overall. It did it's job in making me want to read the manga that nobody will ever translate all of. I'm willing to bet the manga was quite an influence on Fukumoto, I could feel a lot of thematic crossover with Kaiji as both are about intelligent poor guys making big bucks but always landing back at square one because of their own terrible habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I watched Your Name last night, several years late. I think Weathering With You was the better story by a pretty decisive margin, but Your Name is still a good time, really gorgeously shot and produced. Think I have much more admiration for Shinkai as a director and storyboard artist than I do for him as a writer. The characters and plots are largely just okay in both Your Name and Weathering IMO, but the execution is just great. The big melancholy flashback at the start of Your Name's third act is a goddamn knockout.