Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
In regards to Suzume I really loved the reveal that this movie was about 3/11 all along

Really great movie about a guy who turns in to a chair in which I cried three times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did enjoy the bits over the ending credits where they take the journey in reverse.

I would say that the movie's biggest flaw is being kind of confusing in regards to the gods' motivations.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 15, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

muscles like this! posted:

I did enjoy the bits over the ending credits where they take the journey in reverse.

I would say that the movie's biggest flaw is being kind of confusing in regards to the gods' motivations.

Agreed. At least with the west pillar changing his mind and becoming the keystone again made sense in the context of loving Suzume and wanting her to be happy again, but the East Pillar kind of just shows up, does an evil thing in possessing the aunt, and then decides to help out anyways. It definitely felt like something was missing there that probably got lost from an earlier script.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, very pretty and fun, a solid 7/10. Just a shame about the unfortunate age gap between the two mains :yikes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In regards to the age gap, I think that's why he spends the entirety of the romance as a chair. Kind of side stepping the physical aspect.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I accidentally bought tickets for the dub version of Suzume. I regret this decision as none of the actors were able to sell their lines. Very pretty movie though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ccs posted:

I accidentally bought tickets for the dub version of Suzume. I regret this decision as none of the actors were able to sell their lines. Very pretty movie though.

I still don't know how this is a problem in 2023. There are good dubs released all the time and yet you still get stuff like this happening. I saw the dub trailer and it didn't sound bad but still not quite right.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

I still don't know how this is a problem in 2023. There are good dubs released all the time and yet you still get stuff like this happening. I saw the dub trailer and it didn't sound bad but still not quite right.

It depends on who is producing the dub but a lot of times they'll grab non-union members and literally just pay them a few hundred dollars for the entire performance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was that one lady who said she got paid like $250 for JJK0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Julias posted:

It depends on who is producing the dub but a lot of times they'll grab non-union members and literally just pay them a few hundred dollars for the entire performance.

I know it depends on the dub and on the voiceover director but it is crazy to me how little of a poo poo some studios give. I don't blame the voice actors one bit, they're doing what they can for peanuts and who knows how short a recording session.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I thought the dub for Suzume was okay, but that was it. It did it’s job but there was times where Suzume’s voice felt like it would get a slight accent or weird intonation to it, or there would be these awkward readings and they just didn’t bother to fix it.

I really really want to see it again subbed. I’m still thinking about the movie and certain scenes. Would love to see if sub improves it even more for me.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I thought Suzume was impeccable as a spectacle, lots of very well done aspects like well realized characters and the neat trip across Japan aspect, but ultimately I couldn't escape feeling the story was a bit slight - definitely spins wheels a bit in the first two acts, I know one major set piece had me thinking it just wasn't advancing anything since it was basically a previous one happening again, just in the different place with no different outcome.

I got to see it in a top tier screen too which has given me the nagging feeling it might not hold up as well when it hits home media. This probably sounds more down on it than I actually am, I'm still glad I got the chance to see it that way.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I saw Suzume, it was good. I think the repetition of the first two acts was thematically important and relative subtle about echoing the real themes of the movie, before the 2nd half of the movie throws you on the real emotional roller coaster and actually telling you what the movie is about.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Went and saw Suzume with my daughter.
We were literally the only people there in a cinema with 135 seats.

I'm in Sweden fwiw, but guessing this isn't doing so hot

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Buffis posted:

Went and saw Suzume with my daughter.
We were literally the only people there in a cinema with 135 seats.

I'm in Sweden fwiw, but guessing this isn't doing so hot

It's doing pretty great globally. US gross is higher than Weathering or Your Name (although inflation is part of it) and it broke 100 million in Japan alone. Seems that it's just a Sweden thing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah my showing was a packed theater here in the US

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw Suzume. Very pretty. I can't believe she was trying to steal that nice Serizawa's boyfriend though

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Arc Hammer posted:

Say what you will about Disney but at least they got real actors and real voice direction for the ghibli movies. If talking heads are going to keep hyping Shinkai as the second coming of Miyazaki, they really need to be trying harder to make the movies break through in English speaking markets.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I saw Suzume. Very pretty. I can't believe she was trying to steal that nice Serizawa's boyfriend though

Not steal. Trade. She had a perfectly good aunt on offer. Vintage classic, keeping with Serizawa's tastes. A very considerate approach.

As for breaking out in the US, Suzume actually outgrossed every Ghibli film except Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty, and more than double Howl. Some of that is inflation, but the trajectory suggests that Shinkai actually is getting some attention from people who aren't normally big into anime. (While Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball, and Jujutsu Kaisen show that 'people who are big into anime' is a larger market in the US than it used to be.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

chiasaur11 posted:

Not steal. Trade. She had a perfectly good aunt on offer. Vintage classic, keeping with Serizawa's tastes. A very considerate approach.

As for breaking out in the US, Suzume actually outgrossed every Ghibli film except Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty, and more than double Howl. Some of that is inflation, but the trajectory suggests that Shinkai actually is getting some attention from people who aren't normally big into anime. (While Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball, and Jujutsu Kaisen show that 'people who are big into anime' is a larger market in the US than it used to be.)
Its hard to tell the exact situation because Ghibli films mostly only had limited theatrical releases outside of Japan. Films might have made a ton of money if they had more marketing and were in more theaters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most movies and shows would get better box office returns if they were advertised properly. Disney thinks that 2D animation no longer sells so they don't bother to promote it to a larger audience. It's self-fulfilling failure used to justify canceling projects and it sucks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its hard to tell the exact situation because Ghibli films mostly only had limited theatrical releases outside of Japan. Films might have made a ton of money if they had more marketing and were in more theaters.

Yeah. For Suzume in particular it got to open up in over 2000 theaters in the US, which is pretty dang gigantic for a non-franchise anime. More than double what Weathering With You got, plus unlike WWY, Suzume was around for more than a week (Almost 600 of the theaters that showed WWY only showed it for two weekdays and then it was gone).

Number of theaters is such a huge factor that the only real thing I can read into wrt Suzume's success in the US is that if you make an anime movie easy to watch*, people will show up.

*Much love to the work various companies do with Fathom Events to get niche stuff out there but it's mostly just dedicated anime-likers that are seeing an anime movie on its single showing at 7 PM on a weekday.

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 10, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went to see Suzume last Thursday, the final night it was playing here, and we had to evacuate the building like a hour in. Guess I'll wait for the inevitable BD lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

**Suzume**

the latest film from Makoto Shinkai.

The first 15 minutes, I was thinking:

Yeah, full of fantastical plot points in the intro. One after another. Perhaps one of his most fantasy heavy story, in that sense.

The clouds look as good as ever. And the animation is great. But as great as it looks, I find the film is lacking a good emotional core. it's basically a road trip movie with only two characters going from A to B to C trying to fix things/avoid a magical disaster. It isn't very focused in a romance then, like most of his previous films, and during the first 60% there is not enough to replace that, leaving a missing gap. Then at the 60% mark there are finally dramatic stakes in the story that felt missing before, and also suddenly it is more a romance story, but it feels hollow, because the romance angle isn't well done, and we basically have the main character risking her life for a superficial crush, someone who has only meet as a human during a few minutes

Puzzlingly, the plot introduces a new plot point out of left field when it's almost at the 80% mark the black cat that makes the aunt to say all that stuff, that doesn't even make a lot of sense. Hell, the end itself also doesn't make a lot of sense the white cat transforms again in a keystone when the plot needs to, even if before say it couldn't be a keystone anymore, nor it wanted. And the timeloop scene at the end felt gratuitous.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched Maboroshi, Mari Okada's newest film. I had watched her previous film Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms back in December and liked it enough, although I wasn't the biggest fan of the character design and felt sometimes character arrived at places very conveniently when the plot needed them to have a chance meeting. But on an emotional level I felt it held together.

I'm not so sure about Maboroshi. It concerns similar themes and topics, parenthood, abnormal experience of time, fear of change, finding the courage to face uncertainty, etc. but it lumbers along with multiple points that seem like they should be the climax.... only to lead into another set of events that seem like they should be the climax, only to then lead... etc.

I guess the pacing is my main complaint. There's some other aspects I wasn't thrilled about, like the feral girl who is 14 but has the mind of a child. She makes sense as a part of the plot but is annoying every time she is on screen.

Beautiful art an animation though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the two new Rascal Does Not Dream films were showing in a double feature today. (And they're doing a dub showing tomorrow. First time the series has been dubbed into English. Kind of a surprise given how popular the series has been, and how almost everything gets a dub lately.)

If the films were longer, it'd be a bit of an endurance challenge, but given that they're both 70-some minutes, it wasn't too much trouble to sit through without a break. (Which was good, given the size of the crowd.)

Like the previous movie (well, even moreso than the previous movie) these felt like arcs of the show on the big screen more than anything else. Pacing was good, the character work was solid, all that, but there wasn't a big dramatic change to the feel. It was more of what worked, on a big screen, advancing the cast and showing how their supernatural and mundane problems play out. The first film focuses on Kaede dealing with her two years gone (with almost no supernatural elements on display), the second deals with Sakuta and Kaede's mom recovering and how that influences Sakuta. If you like the show, it's pretty reasonable to think you'll like the movies. If you haven't seen it, then you'll be kind of dropping in the middle and not get as much out of it.

Funny thing? The biggest laugh for the audience wasn't from any of the dialogue, but just the shot of Saki looking at Sakuta like he's human garbage, as usual.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1778082565158535472?t=D3gTsrdxre39iPTcy6-Pfw&s=19

Sick. I hope that it turns out well and gets an international release.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was just fawning over my blu ray copy from years and years ago, would be nice to see this in 4k.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1778082565158535472?t=D3gTsrdxre39iPTcy6-Pfw&s=19

Sick. I hope that it turns out well and gets an international release.

Ah, this and Redline are like the perfect spectacle anime movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ccs posted:

Ah, this and Redline are like the perfect spectacle anime movies.

I've said this before, probably in this very thread, but it really does feel like a classic chanbara film that just happens to be animated. You could show anyone the final fight of the film and nothing else and still come away knowing everything you need to about both No Name and Luo Lang. gently caress I love that fight and how you get so many quick shots of Luo Lang's crazy eyes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think that fight was the one that put Yutaka Nakamura on a lot of people's radars and led them down into the sakuga rabbit hole.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Yuri on Ice! movie, Ice Adolescence has finally been dragged behind the barn and cancelled. :smith:

https://twitter.com/yurionice_pr/status/1781155766172565922

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Man that's wild. Not the news itself which was obviously coming but the whole story of the movie's announcement. I'm sure things get cancelled quietly all the time but it feels rare when it's a big popular series and was already publicly promoted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finally watched Robot Carnival. I enjoyed the music and the heavy '80s vibes, but in general this fell short for me with no shorts that really impressed.

Ranking the shorts: Presence > Star Light Angel > Opening/Ending > Strange Tales of Meiji Machine Culture: Westerner's Invasion > Cloud > Franken's Gears > Chicken Man and Red Neck > Deprive

My anime film backlog is down to 22 films: The Castle of Cagliostro, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Metropolis, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Redline, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, The Boy and the Beast, A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, Mirai, Grave of the Fireflies, Ocean Waves, Pom Poko, Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, Ponyo, Arrietty, From Up on Poppy Hill, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, The Red Turtle. I think I'll be able to knock out about a third of the list this year thanks to Ghibli Fest; it's so much more fun to see those movies in theaters.

Updated my grades below to include Robot Carnival and to move a few around:

A+
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso
Tokyo Godfathers

A
Kiki's Delivery Service
Millennium Actress
Suzume
Your Name

A-
Only Yesterday