Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Why do some hot foods hit you with the heat right up front and then subside while others creep up on you after a few minutes? I made some enchilada sauce tonight with dried New Mexico chiles and from the initial taste I was worried it'd be way too hot, but the heat faded away pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I'm living in a tiny place without an oven. Was gifted an air fryer and Instant Pot. I'm just looking for techniques and recipes that are tasty and healthy that I can manage in this tiny kitchen. The stove is good but the venting is terrible, so nothing too smokey please. Thanks y'all.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

leekster posted:

I'm living in a tiny place without an oven. Was gifted an air fryer and Instant Pot. I'm just looking for techniques and recipes that are tasty and healthy that I can manage in this tiny kitchen. The stove is good but the venting is terrible, so nothing too smokey please. Thanks y'all.
You can make all Indian food without an oven. Check out the Indian food thread for thousands of recipes.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Anybody here know of a recipe that makes use of green meat radishes and black radishes?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

leekster posted:

Most recipe websites have Instant Pot sections since they're so popular.

One pot meals are another phrase to look out for in your situation. Just make sure they don't want you to finish them off in the oven.

Edit: And if you want even more kitchen gizmos some larger toaster ovens are more "oven" than "toaster".

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 13, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

If you have the room, I really recommend that Cuisinart. Were it not for the handle on the lid, I could fit my enamel roasting pan in there, and it comes with a pizza stone.

I don't use an oven anymore, as it's way more efficient for my needs.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

If you have the room, I really recommend that Cuisinart. Were it not for the handle on the lid, I could fit my enamel roasting pan in there, and it comes with a pizza stone.

I don't use an oven anymore, as it's way more efficient for my needs.

If you have the money (and space, obviously), I'd recommend the Breville Smart Oven. Since I got one, it's been used probably 3-4 times a day, and I've turned my large oven on about one time in the past three weeks. It's incredible.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Midniter posted:

If you have the money (and space, obviously), I'd recommend the Breville Smart Oven. Since I got one, it's been used probably 3-4 times a day, and I've turned my large oven on about one time in the past three weeks. It's incredible.

I will 2nd this, but add the caveat that it never actually gets any color on my toast unless I run it through 2 cycles.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Anybody here know of a recipe that makes use of green meat radishes and black radishes?

I dont know about black radishes, but I think green meat radishes would be similar to Daikon.

You can roast them like you would Turnips.

Daikon-like radishes also ferment pretty well, so you could do something like a Korean kkakdugi. Daikon has a reputation of being even funkier than kimchi during fermentation, just so youre aware. I havent made it, but Korean Bapsang is generally considered as a good source for recipes, so here is hers: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/kkakdugi-cubed-radish-kimchi/

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
OK, food science question:

My friend has been making the Serious Eats Caesar dressing for a long time.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/caesar-dressing-recipe.html

He has found that if he prepares it ahead of time, it only keeps well if he uses bottled lemon juice instead of fresh. If he uses fresh lemon juice, it takes on a fishy/metallic taste after a day or so. Not a problem with bottled.

Can any of the resident food science folks explain why?

Edit: He uses soybean oil instead of canola in the recipe.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well, sure, but I don't know the science of it exactly. Bottled lemon juice has preservatives, since citrus juice keeps very poorly otherwise, as you're experiencing. If you were to taste the dressing freshly made with both bottled and fresh juice, I'm sure you'd prefer the fresh stuff. But due to the preservatives in the bottled stuff, it tastes better for a longer period of time. Pretty simple.

Frankly Caesar dressing is best fresh, but using bottled juice to allow for making it the night before seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

If I were to make risotto in this way, what would the result be? I'm happy to try it, but instead of potentially wasting good ingredients I thought I'd check first:

1. Add the rice, all of the water, a stock cube, and mushrooms to a pan
2. Heat it
3. Constantly stir it until all of the water is absorbed

I've searched for this and while every recipe suggests that you ladle the stock in one at at time, I haven't found anywhere that explains why that's necessary, or what would happen if you tried to do it all in one pot like this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ahobday posted:

If I were to make risotto in this way, what would the result be? I'm happy to try it, but instead of potentially wasting good ingredients I thought I'd check first:

1. Add the rice, all of the water, a stock cube, and mushrooms to a pan
2. Heat it
3. Constantly stir it until all of the water is absorbed

I've searched for this and while every recipe suggests that you ladle the stock in one at at time, I haven't found anywhere that explains why that's necessary, or what would happen if you tried to do it all in one pot like this.

Kenji does a good job of explaining how to make a one-pot no stir risotto, I would suggest trying that.

Explanation, which is interesting:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-the-science-of-risotto.html

Recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/how-to-make-perfect-risotto-recipe.html

Although both of you are completely missing the point of risotto, which is that the process itself is enjoyable, and the ritualistic stirring and gradual adding of stock is a pleasurable experience, especially when accompanied by a glass of wine.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah risotto 'hacks' are against the whole spirit of the dish. I'd also point out that adding the stock ladleful at a time allows much better control over the eventual doneness, texture and consistency of the dish. I make risotto all the time with roughly the same amount of rice and the amount of stock I use varies a lot based on what rice brand I'm using, the other ingredients I'm putting in there and different factors I don't know about. The eventual quality of the risotto is directly proportional to the care and attention you give it, imo. If you're going to be standing there and stirring it anyway then what's the point in just dumping all of the ingredients in at the start? You're not saving yourself any time or effort.

Also idk if you were paraphrasing but you should be toasting the rice in oil or butter before you start adding stock, and the first liquid into the pan should be a glass of dry white wine. And you don't want to add raw mushrooms at the start like that, you'd want to have cooked them first or cook them separately and add them later, or else you'll just end up with boiled soggy mushrooms. If I'm making mushroom risotto I'll usually have rehydrated some dried porcini in boiling water (which then becomes my stock), I'll fry off the porcini first with my onions and then that's the base I start building the rest of the risotto on. I'll sometimes chop and roast some regular mushrooms in the oven while I'm doing the risotto to be added later, for a different texture and more intense flavour.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 14, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

the effort to deliciousness ratio makes it not worth it to make risotto traditionally :colbert:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Not gonna lie, pressure cooker risotto is the flea's eyebrows.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's raising eyebrows for sure. Risotto is a very specific recipe, you can't make it in a timed pressure cooker or any other way than standing over the stove.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Ive made Kenjis no-stir and I think it tastes better than traditional. Maybe its the whipped cream.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Although both of you are completely missing the point of risotto, which is that the process itself is enjoyable, and the ritualistic stirring and gradual adding of stock is a pleasurable experience, especially when accompanied by a glass of wine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

love 2 stir for 30 minutes straight and end up with hot wet rice

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pressure cooker risotto is the only way I do it these days. There's no reason to make it the old way just because folks used to (wrongly) believe the stirring was what made it creamy.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I get a lot of pleasure out of doing things in the simplest way possible. I also want to start eating this dish more often but I personally find it's too much effort for a random weeknight dinner that only I will eat.

I didn't realise the name "risotto" had such a strong connection to the way it was prepared, so I can change my question:

Is there a way to make a creamy dish using arborio rice where I can put all of the ingredients in the pan at the start and then turn on the heat?

Scientastic posted:

Kenji does a good job of explaining how to make a one-pot no stir risotto, I would suggest trying that.

Explanation, which is interesting:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-the-science-of-risotto.html

Recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/how-to-make-perfect-risotto-recipe.html

Thanks for this. I'll give it a read.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ahobday posted:

I didn't realise the name "risotto" had such a strong connection to the way it was prepared, so I can change my question:

It's Italian, of course there's going to be strong opinions on how it's made :v:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lawnie posted:

Counterpoint: I’ve made Kenji’s no-stir and I think it tastes better than traditional. Maybe it’s the whipped cream.

I'm still waking up but I read this, having not seen the recipe, and immediately imagined someone topping a bowl of risoto with whipped cream like you'd put on a slice of pie.
:stare:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Italians arent real and they cant hurt you. Make the pressure cooker risotto, put cream wherever you want and pineapple is ok on pizza.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Italy? Oh, you mean Papist-Occupied Rome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sextro posted:

Italian’s aren’t real and they can’t hurt you. Make the pressure cooker risotto, put cream wherever you want and pineapple is ok on pizza.

I was with you til the last bit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I was with you til the last bit.

Let people put whatever they want on their sandwich

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have suggestions for vegetarian recipes with a lot of protein that they like? Doesn't have to be vegan, I just don't like meat much.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for vegetarian recipes with a lot of protein that they like? Doesn't have to be vegan, I just don't like meat much.

Have some Cauliflower and Chickpea Masala over rice. I thought this would taste like eating tap water but I'd never dealt with garam masala before so I was laughably wrong about that. I make it all the time now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shakshuka is my go-to vegetarian dish. It's incredibly good and you can put as much or a little protein as you want.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I love hot italian sausage, especially with onions and eggs. I also really want to stop eating pork. Are there any good non-Pork hot Italian sausages out there?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
If youre not terrorized by an imaginary Italian who shrieks culinary dogma at you while you cook, youre not cooking Italian.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

I love hot italian sausage, especially with onions and eggs. I also really want to stop eating pork. Are there any good non-Pork hot Italian sausages out there?

I've been happy for years with turkey Italian sausage.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, Ive had both chicken and turkey hot Italian that were fine

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sorry, but this is just hosed up and wrong.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Instagram has done so much loving harm to the idea of food. It has gotten so bad lately that when friends suggest new places to eat to me I have to subtly tease out whether they want to go because the pictures look nice or because someone actually tasted the food and liked it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Does chicken sausage have any prion concerns like pork/beef does?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ive done some light googling on this but should I be chopping/cutting differently with a santoku knife than I would a chefs knife? Im used to an 8 inch chef and now I have a 5 inch santoku. It feels tiny lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, a santoku is more of a chopper than a rocker, and you should probably get a 7". I can't imagine using one two inches shorter than what I already have.