Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fresh cilantro is scarce in stores all of the sudden. All I could find is one of those little potted cilantro plants in the produce section. I took it out of the plastic and gave it some water. It's perking up a bit but it's still rough looking.

Anything I can do to help it along or are these things kind of a scam? Also, any tips on plucking the leaves one serving at a time without killing the plants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McCracAttack posted:

Also, any tips on plucking the leaves one serving at a time without killing the plants?

My experience is keeping cilantro going sustainably is way harder than other herbs. You can try just cutting off the top third to half or so, but it will go to seed in the blink of an eye. It grows pretty quick so if that happens just let it go and replant itself.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

Fresh cilantro is scarce in stores all of the sudden. All I could find is one of those little potted cilantro plants in the produce section. I took it out of the plastic and gave it some water. It's perking up a bit but it's still rough looking.

Anything I can do to help it along or are these things kind of a scam? Also, any tips on plucking the leaves one serving at a time without killing the plants?

what did the roots look like when you took it out of the plastic and how big was the pot it came in? replanting with good soil in a bigger pot may give it some room to expand and grow leaves. also i snip my herbs with little scissors, which in my mind feels less traumatic for the plant than tugging the leaves/stalks out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chard posted:

what did the roots look like when you took it out of the plastic and how big was the pot it came in? replanting with good soil in a bigger pot may give it some room to expand and grow leaves. also i snip my herbs with little scissors, which in my mind feels less traumatic for the plant than tugging the leaves/stalks out.

I have no idea what the roots look like and the pot it came in is minuscule. I'll accept that re-potting it the best option but I don't have any of the stuff to do that. Sorry cilantro.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DildenAnders posted:

Does chicken sausage have any prion concerns like pork/beef does?

Dont let fear of prions stop you leading your most delicious life

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Corla Plankun posted:

Instagram has done so much loving harm to the idea of food. It has gotten so bad lately that when friends suggest new places to eat to me I have to subtly tease out whether they want to go because the pictures look nice or because someone actually tasted the food and liked it.

there's a bougie place in my town suffering from Insta-itus, their latest abomination is a foot tall Takis-breaded chicken sandwich with kimchi, jalapeno beer cheese, and a Hot Cheeto bun. there's a knife stabbed into the bun, like a folding BUDK style redneck dad knife. it's way too many utterly incompatable flavors and it physically looks oversaturated. it looks like a bad photoshop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

there's a bougie place in my town suffering from Insta-itus, their latest abomination is a foot tall Takis-breaded chicken sandwich with kimchi, jalapeno beer cheese, and a Hot Cheeto bun. there's a knife stabbed into the bun, like a folding BUDK style redneck dad knife. it's way too many utterly incompatable flavors and it physically looks oversaturated. it looks like a bad photoshop.

But I saw a sweaty dude in black latex gloves saw it in half and show me the insides so I must have it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Call me when it's on a skewer as a bloody Mary garnish

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Call me when it's on a skewer as a bloody Mary garnish

Wait until you hear about southeastern Wisconsin

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

McCracAttack posted:

Anything I can do to help it along or are these things kind of a scam?

Plants are, generally speaking, not a scam. Unless it's the famous Mozambique Scam Plant but nominative destiny already sorted that one for you.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

I have no idea what the roots look like and the pot it came in is minuscule. I'll accept that re-potting it the best option but I don't have any of the stuff to do that. Sorry cilantro.

if you live on a planet and eat like yogurt or orange juice or something you have everything you need to repot a plant. dont give up on the lil guy

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

That sounds absolutely vile.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

DildenAnders posted:

That sounds absolutely vile.

there's no way it doesn't just taste like "red, coated in gummy cheese."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chard posted:

if you live on a planet and eat like yogurt or orange juice or something you have everything you need to repot a plant. dont give up on the lil guy

lol at the bean can herb garden I'm about to start.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that cilantro is an annual herb. Even if you are caring for it well, it will still die and ideally re-seed. But it won't live forever.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Coriander/Cilantro is generally very poor in the UK at least, most supermarket plants last a couple of days even with perfect care. The best Ive been able to find was pre-cut from a really good Asian store or from a posh vegetable guy at a farmers market, which lasts 7-10 days in the salad drawer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Torquemada posted:

Coriander/Cilantro is generally very poor in the UK at least, most supermarket plants last a couple of days even with perfect care. The best Ive been able to find was pre-cut from a really good Asian store or from a posh vegetable guy at a farmers market, which lasts 7-10 days in the salad drawer.

Yeah, if they include the base like at my asian mart, the cilantro lasts a lot longer. Used the rest of mine last night; I bought it ten days ago. Still decent.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
A couple of my friends have two adopted kids and are now fostering a couple infants. They put out a request for either DoorDash cards or ready to eat meals. I inquired and they said that vegetarian or chicken based dishes with pasta are good (picky about meats). I was thinking of doing a veggie lasagna (they said theyre okay with veggies like garlic, onion, bell pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, and dairy) and a chicken ziti. Throw in some homemade freezer garlic bread. And then a bag or two of washed lettuce and some shelf stable bottled dressing.

First, does anyone have a good recipe that would work for a bulk thing? I plan to just buy a disposable baking tray for both.

My second question is for the ziti. Im gonna use chicken breast, and Im curious what yall would recommend as helpful ways to enhance the flavor of it compared to traditional sausage. I could of course add some extra seasonings and some fat, but any other recommendations or tips? Any veg I add to the meat version Ill probably dice up pretty finely in case of picky eaters.

Also, any recommendations on how to freeze things? I may pre cut the pastas and include a box of freezer bags to put servings into. Anything beyond that that would help?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Anyone have a malai kofta recipe they really like?
Its for my friend bday, gonna make naan and samosas too.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Anyone have a malai kofta recipe they really like?
Its for my friend bday, gonna make naan and samosas too.

Genuinely my favorite meal: https://hebbarskitchen.com/wprm_print/114819

Hebbars Kitchen is pretty righteous for any Punjabi recipes.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Oh awesome, thank you!

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Best Mexican cookbook? I'm pretty good at various salsas, tacos, and pozoles. Now looking to expand my reportoire.

Preferably something with modern Mexican recipes from quality restaurants, not just street food. It's like Mexican street carts are (rightfully) celebrated, while innovative Mexican chefs are ignored (in the US).

I'm in Tampa and have access to good Mexican ingredients.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Mexico in my Kitchen, by Enrique Olvera.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

fr0id posted:

A couple of my friends have two adopted kids and are now fostering a couple infants. They put out a request for either DoorDash cards or ready to eat meals. I inquired and they said that vegetarian or chicken based dishes with pasta are good (picky about meats). I was thinking of doing a veggie lasagna (they said theyre okay with veggies like garlic, onion, bell pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, and dairy) and a chicken ziti. Throw in some homemade freezer garlic bread. And then a bag or two of washed lettuce and some shelf stable bottled dressing.

First, does anyone have a good recipe that would work for a bulk thing? I plan to just buy a disposable baking tray for both.

My second question is for the ziti. Im gonna use chicken breast, and Im curious what yall would recommend as helpful ways to enhance the flavor of it compared to traditional sausage. I could of course add some extra seasonings and some fat, but any other recommendations or tips? Any veg I add to the meat version Ill probably dice up pretty finely in case of picky eaters.

Also, any recommendations on how to freeze things? I may pre cut the pastas and include a box of freezer bags to put servings into. Anything beyond that that would help?

My mother prepares a lot of frozen meals for my grandparents, and she ended up buying oven-safe glass dishes that were appropriately sized for a single meal, making food in those, partially freezing it, vacuum sealing it, and then deep freezing it. They can pull something out of the freezer, remove the vacuum sealer bag, and pop it straight into the oven, and when they're done, my mom collects the dishes and repeats. I imagine something similar would work with disposable pans if you can keep them from crushing.

We've got a sous vide thread where you can hear from converts, but I'll mention that everyone I've gotten to try sous vide who has small children has now made it their primary method for cooking meat because you can walk away from it to deal with whatever your tiny tornados have gotten themselves into and nothing's on fire or ruined when you get back. You can also sous vide straight from the freezer, and as long as temperatures are compatible, you can cook differently seasoned stuff together without flavor mixing or dietary intolerance concerns.

If you're comfortable pan frying and are willing to devote an afternoon to making a large enough batch to warrant getting set up, chicken parmesan freezes quite well as most recipes I've seen assume you're doing two cooks on it and the second is in the oven.
I did most of my family's cooking in high school and when I made my first trip home from college, my mom had me make >30 lbs of the stuff so she could freeze it, and they ate that at least once per week for the rest of that semester.

I haven't tried making chicken sausage, but if you're trying to replicate it with chicken breast you may actually want to get some schmaltz to add in because the breasts are typically pretty lean. Also, be mindful if you're looking for chicken sausage recipes that a lot of them are going to be substitutes for breakfast sausage which has a wildly different flavor profile that'd probably clash with ziti.

If the kids will eat chicken but are finicky about other meats, they may like turkey breast, which opens up some other options.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Torquemada posted:

Mexico in my Kitchen, by Enrique Olvera.

I was gonna put this on my list to watch out for, but I can't find it. I can find a website with a similar name featuring a cookbook with a different name, by Mely Martnez. Do you have a link to the book you're talking about?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

guppy posted:

I was gonna put this on my list to watch out for, but I can't find it. I can find a website with a similar name featuring a cookbook with a different name, by Mely Martnez. Do you have a link to the book you're talking about?

Perils of age, the book is ACTUALLY called Mexico from the Inside Out! This is a really lovely book.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
He has a second book, Tu Casa, Mi Casa, which looks pretty good. For anybody who has both, which do you prefer?

Really wish these were available on Kindle. I could preview both before picking one.

On a side https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/ is a pretty good website.

EDIT: Found a good summary on nationalpost.com

quote:

Whereas his first book in English, Mexico from the Inside Out (Phaidon, 2015), primarily presented the meticulous haute cuisine hes renowned for (including a recipe for mole madre with an ingredient list 50-strong), Olvera says they set out to write a book that would be a fixture on the kitchen counter rather than coffee table. Tu Casa Mi Casa features a lesson in the basics masa and corn, salsas, beans and rice followed by chapters devoted to breakfast (chilaquiles, a beautiful hangover cure; corn pancakes, to make with the kids), weekday meals (Veracruz-style cod, bean soup), food for sharing (pozole, esquites), sweets (Mexican chocolate ice pops, churros) and drinks (aguas frescas, cacao water).

Given my level, I might get the first for casual reading about innovative Mexican cuisine, and get the second for recipes I can actually make. :)

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 18, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I tried to get tickets for the release party for his second book but it sold out in about 20 seconds :smith: I have both, and theyre both excellent but as advertised: the first is the food that made Michelin sit up and take note, the second is more utilitarian. The 50 ingredient mole referred to is absolutely stupendous, but not difficult to make (arduous to shop for though).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any recommendations on a French cookbook? More Coq au Vin than patisserie.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Julia Child's "The Art of French Cooking" is a classic for a reason.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

captkirk posted:

Not a book, but I am a fan of the French Cooking Academy YouTube channel.

https://www.thefrenchcookingacademy.com

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

captkirk posted:

You might enjoy Anthony Bourdains Les Halles Cookbook if youre after bistro food, its very entertaining and none of the recipes are very difficult.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Julia Child's "The Art of French Cooking" is a classic for a reason.

Her videos are also really fun to watch except I have a feeling there's at least some stuff that makes her terrible. I'm just not looking into it for now.

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 18, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bagheera posted:

He has a second book, Tu Casa, Mi Casa, which looks pretty good. For anybody who has both, which do you prefer?

Really wish these were available on Kindle. I could preview both before picking one.

On a side https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/ is a pretty good website.

EDIT: Found a good summary on nationalpost.com

Given my level, I might get the first for casual reading about innovative Mexican cuisine, and get the second for recipes I can actually make. :)

I looked at the Olvera books and I think the first one might be too fancy for me, and the second one too basic. If you are thinking the same, you might look at some of Rick Bayless' books.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
When you get Hoi Sin sauce at Chinese restaurants, (at least in England) it's amazing, but no store bought stuff comes close and is mostly kind of horrid. The closest thing I've found has been Lee Kum Kee Peking Sauce, but even that's not right. It does suggest to me that maybe what I'm after is actually 'Peking Sauce' rather than Hoi Sin, certainly it's what you get when you order crispy peking duck.

But what confuses me is that it tastes exactly the same from whatever Chinese takeaway you order it from, so it makes me think there's like some kind of wholesale sauce that all these places use? Only, I went to an Asian food cash and carry when I lived in Greenwich, and there wasn't really anything there that seemed any different from the stuff I'd already tried?

Is there maybe some knack to it like heating it that I'm missing? Does anyone know what exactly it is?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

!Klams posted:

When you get Hoi Sin sauce at Chinese restaurants, (at least in England) it's amazing, but no store bought stuff comes close and is mostly kind of horrid. The closest thing I've found has been Lee Kum Kee Peking Sauce, but even that's not right. It does suggest to me that maybe what I'm after is actually 'Peking Sauce' rather than Hoi Sin, certainly it's what you get when you order crispy peking duck.

But what confuses me is that it tastes exactly the same from whatever Chinese takeaway you order it from, so it makes me think there's like some kind of wholesale sauce that all these places use? Only, I went to an Asian food cash and carry when I lived in Greenwich, and there wasn't really anything there that seemed any different from the stuff I'd already tried?

Is there maybe some knack to it like heating it that I'm missing? Does anyone know what exactly it is?
Uh...if you want hoisin, have you tried LKK's hoisin? LKK hoisin is fine. If you're trying to match a sauce and you try LKK's hoisin and it's nothing at all like what you're after, then what you're after is probably not hoisin.

Peking sauce is not hoisin. I guess it's possible that you might've eaten at a place that uses Peking sauce in place of hoisin, but that would be...odd.

What does the sauce you're looking for taste like?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Peking duck sauce is basically just equal parts tianmianjiang and sugar with a bit of sesame oil. Hoisin is similar but definitely different, so try that and see if it's what you're looking for.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SubG posted:

Uh...if you want hoisin, have you tried LKK's hoisin? LKK hoisin is fine. If you're trying to match a sauce and you try LKK's hoisin and it's nothing at all like what you're after, then what you're after is probably not hoisin.

Peking sauce is not hoisin. I guess it's possible that you might've eaten at a place that uses Peking sauce in place of hoisin, but that would be...odd.

What does the sauce you're looking for taste like?

Yeah, so I'm guessing you're either not from England or have a more sophisticated palette, (essentially a tautology I appreciate) but basically every single high street Chinese takeaway here has the same thing on the menu as 'Hoi Sin'. Like I say, im fairly sure given that the only one that tastes really close is "peking sauce", that it's not, so what you're saying totally rings true.

Yeah, the LKK hoi sin, like it's close, it's obviously going for the same flavour, but there's a kind of "artificial sweetener" taste to it that every store bought Hoi Sin has. It's close, but it's very obviously not the same as what you get at a restaurant.

Grand Fromage posted:

Peking duck sauce is basically just equal parts tianmianjiang and sugar with a bit of sesame oil. Hoisin is similar but definitely different, so try that and see if it's what you're looking for.

Yeah, ok, I guess I'll look out for other brands of peking sauce. Maybe I'll try making my own! Would a Korean store have tianmianjiang, do you think? (I only ask because there's a great Korean supermarket in walking distance). Thanks.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 19, 2021

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A Korean market might have choonjang (춘장), which looks similar but may not be the same thing? I've never used tianmianjiang before but I've heard in passing that they're different despite looking pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

!Klams posted:

Yeah, ok, I guess I'll look out for other brands of peking sauce. Maybe I'll try making my own! Would a Korean store have tianmianjiang, do you think? (I only ask because there's a great Korean supermarket in walking distance). Thanks.

If it only has Korean stuff, no. They'll likely have chunjang, which is similar but not the same. However if you can't find tianmianjiang in a Chinese store or online, it's your best substitute.