Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A China cap is the one shown, metal with coarse holes. The same kind of thing with fine mesh instead of punched holes is a chinois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Anyone have some good suggestions on easy homeade salad dressings? If it helps I've got Mayo, Sriracha, Garlic ginger paste, bell pepper paste, soy sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire, and deli mustard as potential ingredients.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

Anyone have some good suggestions on easy homeade salad dressings? If it helps I've got Mayo, Sriracha, Garlic ginger paste, bell pepper paste, soy sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire, and deli mustard as potential ingredients.

Vinaigrettes are legit easy and tasty. I forget where I originally developed my lassez-faire vinaigrette style but here's a Serious Eats article that goes over the basics: https://www.seriouseats.com/salad-dressings-vinaigrettes-the-food-lab

Basically, you need (at its most basic) acid, oil, salt and pepper, and an emulsifier. My most common acid is some kind of vinegar, but lemon/citrus juice works perfectly well too. My most common emulsifier is some kind of mustard and second place is honey; sometimes I even use both! Aromatics like chopped garlic or shallots or herbs (dried or fresh are fine) are a bonus.

From your list you just need an acid. If you really like spicy sriracha might work in a pinch but white wine vinegar keeps forever and is neutral enough to work with most stuff, so I'd recommend picking some up. Given your other ingredients my other suggestion would be (unsweetened/unseasoned) rice vinegar.

If you get white wine vinegar: Try olive oil, the vinegar, a dash of deli mustard, salt and pepper. I usually emulsify by dumping everything in a tupperware, putting the lid on, and giving it a good shake, because I don't care enough to get a whisk dirty. I like adding dried marjoram or thyme to a simple dressing like this.

If you get rice vinegar: try olive oil, the vinegar, the garlic ginger paste, a bit of honey (I don't like sweet dressings much, so I only use enough for emulsification which is a fairly tiny amount), a dash of soy sauce, and some sriracha. Again, shake in a covered tupperware because gently caress doing extra dishes, right?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DildenAnders posted:

The easiest salad dressing to make at home is probably a vinaigrette. Take any decent quality vinegar (balsamic is popular, but you can use apple cider, red/white wine, whatever) and mix with good quality olive oil in a 3:1 ratio of oil:vinegar. Whisk hard to emulsify, and you can add any flavorings you want. The ratio is relatively flexible - if you want a more acidic dressing, feel free to use more vinegar, 2.5:1 or 2:1. If you're going to use fresh herbs, I'd recommend an immersion blender to mix if you have one, or dice them very finely by hand. It will last reasonably well (up to a couple weeks if you're using just oil + vinegar + spices, up to maybe 1 week if you're using fresh herbs or something) - but it will separate, you'll need to whisk it again to emulsify it.

As a starting point, based on what you have, I might try a relatively neutral vinegar and some of the garlic/ginger paste as your core flavoring agent.

Edit: I'm assuming you have some kind of vinegar in your pantry. If you don't, I'm not sure what to recommend going with only what's on your list.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hawkperson posted:

Again, shake in a covered tupperware because gently caress doing extra dishes, right?

Old jam jars are perfect for this

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That has a mesh, this looks solid. It's basically a conical colander.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looking for some different ideas for using stock. Basically all of my winter holiday foods left me with tons of turkey, chicken and duck stock.

I've already reduced down and frozen much of it in ice cube trays and am hitting a hard limit of freezer space and still have another 1.5 gallons of un-reduced stock of either duck or turkey just sitting around.

In the recent weeks Ive already made turkey gumbo, duck soup, cassoulet etc.

So I guess I am looking for any neat / less often used recipes to go through more stock. Anything interesting come to mind? I just dont want it to go off in the fridge and I've already got a bunch of gumbo and soup I haven't finished eating or that got frozen as well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Made some French onion soup (kinda meh - like the name says, there's really nothing but onion in it, even with baguette \ cheese on top) and a fair bit of beef stock was left over. I have some frozen chicken breast taking up space, so I thought that + the beef stock could make the basis for a good soup... but either the combo is an anathema or I'm really bad at googling? Any recipes you'd recommend.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xander77 posted:

Made some French onion soup (kinda meh - like the name says, there's really nothing but onion in it, even with baguette \ cheese on top) and a fair bit of beef stock was left over. I have some frozen chicken breast taking up space, so I thought that + the beef stock could make the basis for a good soup... but either the combo is an anathema or I'm really bad at googling? Any recipes you'd recommend.

I've sauteed up some thick slices of onion in a lil butter and splash of fish sauce along with 1" long carrot chunks and then reduced down beef stock over that until its almost completely gone and it makes for a really nice stewed carrot / wilted onion side dish. Could just be me though, I loooooove the flavor of carrots from a beef stew etc.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xander77 posted:

Made some French onion soup (kinda meh - like the name says, there's really nothing but onion in it, even with baguette \ cheese on top)

THIS WILL NOT STAND

French Onion is not an example of how something with few ingredients is boring, it is an example of how rich and complex dish you can make despite having few ingredients. Its a wonderful dish, and if it was a bit meh, you should probably share the recipe so I can convince you to make it again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

THIS WILL NOT STAND

French Onion is not an example of how something with few ingredients is boring, it is an example of how rich and complex dish you can make despite having few ingredients. Its a wonderful dish, and if it was a bit meh, you should probably share the recipe so I can convince you to make it again.

Indeed. French onion soup is incredible. Top contenders for why it turned out meh are 1) Didn't cook the onions enough. Gotta get them boys properly caramelized. 2) Really mediocre broth/stock. Not enough vinegar/booze also common culprits.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Scientastic posted:

THIS WILL NOT STAND

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/french_onion_soup/

- alcohol substituted with a bit of white wine vinegar to degalze.

Anyway, still looking for chicken + beef broth recipes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xander77 posted:

Ive posted mine several times before (including in this thread) because I find caramelising the onions boring, non- traditional and overly sweet.

quote:

You make dark stock: roast beef or chicken bones in a pan with some onion, carrot, celery, thyme and a bay leaf, use a little vegetable oil in the pan and get some on everything. Dont burn it, brown it. Stick everything in a big pot and add water to cover, simmer for about three hours, occasionally skimming the fat off. Strain the stock into a smaller pan, throw away the bones and veg. Reduce further.

Chop onions into rings, sweat in unsalted butter until transparent with some thyme. Add the stock and a bit of sherry or madeira and cook until ready. Just before its done, check the seasoning: there is zero salt in it at this point, so you can carefully grind pepper and add salt until it tastes right.

Get some good quality bread and make croutons that fit in your bowl. Fry them in hot shallow oil that has a garlic clove in it until brown. Put soup in bowl, put crouton on top. Cover the crouton with good cheese, (comte or gruyere are great) and melt and brown the cheese under a hot grill.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
1.5 cups of Arborio rice will take around a quart of stock to finish, along with a few tablespoons of wine or watered-down lemon juice. Its good with both chicken and turkey stock, the latter of which I used by accident last night because I was lazy about labeling bags after thanksgiving. It came out anyway.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xander77 posted:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/french_onion_soup/

- alcohol substituted with a bit of white wine vinegar to degalze.

Anyway, still looking for chicken + beef broth recipes.

This recipe only caramelises the onions for half an hour! I am not surprised it didn't turn out well.

As I always do, I suggest Felicity Cloake's recipe, she recommends 90-120 minutes.

As for your stock, I would recommend reducing it down to as low a volume as possible, until it's like jelly. Then cut it into cubes, and freeze. Add a cube of homemade stock to literally any sauce you ever make.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Practically any savory dish that requires water your can substitute your stock.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hmm I guess you could even use stock in your bain marie

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Once when I was a teenager I ordered French onion soup out of curiosity... at an Applebee's.

It was so disgusting it's put me off ever eating French onion soup again, even though the correct lesson was to be put off ever eating at Applebee's again, which is something else I don't do anymore. I am aware that it is unrepresentative, but even now I almost gag thinking about it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Honey, mustard and vinegar in a 5 to 3 to 2 ratio is a lovely, easy dressing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Murgos posted:

Honey, mustard and vinegar in a 5 to 3 to 2 ratio is a lovely, easy dressing.
You do you, but drat that's a lot of honey.

Like a bog-standard honey-mustard dressing is equal parts honey, dijon, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil, plus a pinch of salt. And that's already a pretty sweet dressing.

So I mean it's your salad, dress it however you want. But that's, like, a lot of honey.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Moving into a new place and the Frigidaire oven has a "speed bake" switch. 5 seconds of googling later, am I correct in assuming that this is a convection bake setting in marketing speak?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah that's what it sounds like to me based on my own googling. Go make some wings!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SubG posted:

You do you, but drat that's a lot of honey.

Like a bog-standard honey-mustard dressing is equal parts honey, dijon, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil, plus a pinch of salt. And that's already a pretty sweet dressing.

So I mean it's your salad, dress it however you want. But that's, like, a lot of honey.

Try it. You can use 1/2 teaspoons if the honey is freaking you out.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My friend got a kitchen aid stand mixer. Whats the best attachment I could get him?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Thanks for all the suggestions on salad dressing, i'll be sure to mess around with them with all of this iceburg lettuce I have.
On an unrelated note, what's the best way to turn Zucchini into sandwich filling?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

fr0id posted:

My friend got a kitchen aid stand mixer. What’s the best attachment I could get him?

The rubber edged paddle is essential. Everything else is niche / based on his interests.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The meat grinder attachment!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

fr0id posted:

My friend got a kitchen aid stand mixer. Whats the best attachment I could get him?

pasta maker?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

god i wish i had money and shelf/storage space for a stand mixer and accoutrements

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree you need the edge wiper beater, but there are a lot of different models, so be sure to get the one that's compatible with his.

I wouldn't get a big attachment without knowing what he's into. I would hold off and see what he does, then get things to help him out with that. For example, if he uses the Kitchenaid to get into bread, maybe he'll end up wanting marked rising bowls or a banneton or Pullman pans. Or if he uses it to get into pasta, you can get that, or cakes and cookies, or whatever it is, they all have tons of accessories.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

DildenAnders posted:

On an unrelated note, what's the best way to turn Zucchini into sandwich filling?

Two things come to mind. You could either make a dip to spread on your sandwich or turn them into fritters.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DildenAnders posted:

Zucchini butter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fr0id posted:

My friend got a kitchen aid stand mixer. What’s the best attachment I could get him?

The properly fit rubber edge wiper or the meat grinder attachment. Personally I don't like the pasta maker attachment and after using a friend's I just bought a manual crank pasta machine and I like that one a great deal better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a bunch of pinto beans that I made in my instant pot, and some leftover white rice. I know that rice and beans is a thing(tm), what should I be doing to make the two mix together rather than just plopping a ladle of beans on top of white rice? The more suggestions the better, this situation won't be a one-off and I don't have a ton of other stuff in the pantry right now so I might have to get creative.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I always like to fry up the beans with some onions, garlic, dried spices, etc. And then add it on top of the rice. From there you can add cheese and/or meat and/or protein of your choice as a burrito filling. You can also fry/scramble some eggs (and maybe some onions and protein), add some salsa and make it breakfast. It also makes a great pairing with a nice roast. You could even go full grainiac and fry up a nice corn tortilla, add the rice and beans on top along with any of the other accompaniments (protein, salsa, egg, cheese, sour cream, etc).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got a bunch of pinto beans that I made in my instant pot, and some leftover white rice. I know that rice and beans is a thing(tm), what should I be doing to make the two mix together rather than just plopping a ladle of beans on top of white rice? The more suggestions the better, this situation won't be a one-off and I don't have a ton of other stuff in the pantry right now so I might have to get creative.

Usually when I'm doing Mexican beans and rice I don't always use white rice and instead cook it in stock with some sauteed onion garlic, peppers etc.

That said for your situation I would just put the pinto beans on rice but then try to top it with some shredded cheese, cilantro, tomato slices, and avocado or olives or both really.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Lately when I freeze and defrost my pizza dough it never rises again. Is there a trick to keeping it alive? What could I be doing wrong?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

spatula posted:

Lately when I freeze and defrost my pizza dough it never rises again. Is there a trick to keeping it alive? What could I be doing wrong?

Let it sit out at room temp after defrosting longer. Yeast can freeze and thaw without harm so I expect you just got to let them recover.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Why do canned tomatoes "need" sugar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They don't. Dunno what you mean.