Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tekopo posted:

I tried to make some fried battered zucchini flowers today and I think they came out pretty well, but I had one question: most recipes I found online told me to use sparkling water, so I used it as recommended, but does it make any difference if I just use still or tap water really?
Using club soda instead of water results in less gluten formation in the batter, which results in a lighter crust. The trendier version of this is subbing the liquid for a 1:1 ratio of cold water and vodka, which will yield a batter with even less gluten development.

It's also worthwhile to work on your batter-mixing technique, as you want to get to the point where you can use the batter with as little mixing as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I stuck a few strip steaks in the freezer friday night on a wire rack for a few minutes to stiffen up before I vacuum sealed them to freeze for real....and forgot about them until right now. Are they gonna be freezerburned or okay? They were straight out of the fridge when they went in the freezer, if that matters.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They'll be a bit freezer burned but not too bad I don't think. You'd wanna vacuum them anyway, because the freezer burn gets worse over time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SubG posted:

Using club soda instead of water results in less gluten formation in the batter, which results in a lighter crust. The trendier version of this is subbing the liquid for a 1:1 ratio of cold water and vodka, which will yield a batter with even less gluten development.

It's also worthwhile to work on your batter-mixing technique, as you want to get to the point where you can use the batter with as little mixing as possible.

The bubbles also have the added benefit of lightening the batter, making it more like tempura, so I'd try both vodka *and* club soda

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've noticed that with some vegetables, most notably in my experience okra and shishito peppers, some taste fine while others are incredibly woody/bitter to the point where I wouldn't want to eat them, while outwardly appearing no different from others in the same bunch/bag. Is there any way to tell them apart at a glance?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I've noticed that with some vegetables, most notably in my experience okra and shishito peppers, some taste fine while others are incredibly woody/bitter to the point where I wouldn't want to eat them, while outwardly appearing no different from others in the same bunch/bag. Is there any way to tell them apart at a glance?

When it comes to okra, especially if it's already chopped it's almost impossible to tell. I can generally tell if it's going to be woody if it is fresh and whole, and I can squeeze a few pods and look at how large they are. The bigger the pod, the more likely it's gone woody. But chopped and frozen? That's almost impossible to tell because maybe the cross section that is woody came from lower down on the pod, and is thus indistinguishable because it's the same size as all the other okra slices.

tl;dr Unless you're working with fresh okra from the jump, it's tough to tell what's going to be woody.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I love Shishito peppers, but I swear they are like lottery ticket food. Mild to medium, and every once in a while super spicy. I think the danger factor is part of the fun, but not everyone's cup of tea. Friend tipped me to dry frying them with kosher salt until partly toasty brown and just eating them by the bowlful as a (mostly healthy) snack.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
I'm trying to find a taco pork recipe from here many years ago. It was a carnitas recipe in a slow cooker with a pork shoulder and I remember there was onion and mexican oregano and other seasonings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

calcio posted:

I'm trying to find a taco pork recipe from here many years ago. It was a carnitas recipe in a slow cooker with a pork shoulder and I remember there was onion and mexican oregano and other seasonings.

This one, I presume:

https://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Bingo, thanks!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

I love Shishito peppers, but I swear they are like lottery ticket food. Mild to medium, and every once in a while super spicy. I think the danger factor is part of the fun, but not everyone's cup of tea. Friend tipped me to dry frying them with kosher salt until partly toasty brown and just eating them by the bowlful as a (mostly healthy) snack.

We have a shishito plant that is putting out 4-5 peppers a day haven't gotten a really spicy one yet. I've just been throwing them on the grill whenever I'm grilling something else and finishing with some maldon salt.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hey I've got tomatillos, poblanos, lime, jalapeno etc all here to make some verde. I've only used verde just with chips or cooking pork / chicken in it and used as a filling or soup. Trying to do about 75% vegetarian in the house, wondering if anyones got a good suggestion for verde as part of a vegetarian meal. I've got yellow squash and zucchini from the garden, tomatoes, avocado, dry black, pinto and garbanzo beans as well that could factor in. Any thoughts?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

chiliaquiles

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That Works posted:

Hey I've got tomatillos, poblanos, lime, jalapeno etc all here to make some verde. I've only used verde just with chips or cooking pork / chicken in it and used as a filling or soup. Trying to do about 75% vegetarian in the house, wondering if anyones got a good suggestion for verde as part of a vegetarian meal. I've got yellow squash and zucchini from the garden, tomatoes, avocado, dry black, pinto and garbanzo beans as well that could factor in. Any thoughts?

I often just make refried bean tacos (I have no idea how authentic that is but whatever) and I usually put on some salsa verde. Tortillas of some sort, refried beans, some greens/toppings, and some salsa on top. The market near my apartment makes fresh salsa verde, it’s usually a bit garlicky which goes well with the beans.

Maybe calabacitas (New Mexican squash) could also be good. In New Mexico they had calabacitas burritos with squash, cheese, and roasted hatch chiles. At least in my mind it could be good with salsa verde instead, but I’ve never tried that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Huh that sounds a lot like Padron peppers as tapas (which are known to be a lottery ticket, that's half the fun)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I got a packet of Golden Curry japanese style sauce. I have some stewing pork to use up. It's hot and I don't want to turn the stove on. Can I just use the Instant Pot to sear the pork, then pressure cook it with the veggies and a cup of liquid, then pour over the curry sauce and simmer that all together for a bit?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I got a packet of Golden Curry japanese style sauce. I have some stewing pork to use up. It's hot and I don't want to turn the stove on. Can I just use the Instant Pot to sear the pork, then pressure cook it with the veggies and a cup of liquid, then pour over the curry sauce and simmer that all together for a bit?

You can, but the instant pot isn't great for searing. Use small batches.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

That Works posted:

Enchiladas, tacos, burritos, this, chiles rellenos, this, or migas. For starters.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

When you are done be sure to cut nice and thin. Large bites may still be tough. Ive done SV chuck which has been fantastic and I imagine that's a softer texture then reversed.
You're 100% correct fwiw. I was thinking the reverse sear would give it enough time to tenderize a little, but I was wrong, it came up to temp much faster than I expected. It ended up edible, but I did have to do thin slices against the grain, which is a hassle on stew meat. The other half gets thrown in a braise and gently caress the seasonality.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

you could make some quick enchiladas with your salsa verde. i normally do potato and poblano with green sauce, but i bet sauteed squash and zucchini would be good too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

You're 100% correct fwiw. I was thinking the reverse sear would give it enough time to tenderize a little, but I was wrong, it came up to temp much faster than I expected. It ended up edible, but I did have to do thin slices against the grain, which is a hassle on stew meat. The other half gets thrown in a braise and gently caress the seasonality.

Even after a good bath cutting it fresh and well is still a pain in the rear end. I just wanted a hidden cheap cut for lazy sandwiches.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What's a good 15° knife sharpener that isn't that $130 chefs choice monstrosity?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's a good 15° knife sharpener that isn't that $130 chefs choice monstrosity?
Depends on what you're looking for. If you're mostly worried about price, a Norton combo bench stone runs in the neighborhood of US$20 and will sharpen a knife to any angle you want.

If you want a guide system then something like the Apex Edge Pro will run you at least US$150, although you can get knockoffs for under US$50.

If you want something you plug in and it sharpens your knives then you're probably SOL unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars or are willing to use something that's gonna shred your knives.

So what are your criteria beyond wanting something that sharpens knives?

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Amazon has so many cheaper options I'd like to try but haven't yet. If you find something, come back and mention it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
What are some of folks' favorite applications for those preserved roasted red peppers that come in a jar? I'm thinking sandwiches, but I could use some ideas.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I like eating them as tapas by tossing the peppers with good tuna, aioli, parsley, shallot, and whatever other flavors i'm in the mood for and then serving it on baguette slices. Even better if the peppers are intact whole and you can stuff it all inside of them without it breaking apart

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought this sharpener forever ago when the chat thread was talking about it. It's a good sharpener.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Manager Hoyden posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Knife-Sharpener-Onion/dp/B07CW4T6RS/

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I like them on salads, right now CSA has me drowning in leafy greens, so anything interesting gets a rotation. That said, the pickled mild red ones, myself and a fork is lazy snack.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

DasNeonLicht posted:

What are some of folks' favorite applications for those preserved roasted red peppers that come in a jar? I'm thinking sandwiches, but I could use some ideas.

pimento cheese

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Puree them and use them as a base for a pasta sauce.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Manuel Calavera posted:

I bought this sharpener forever ago when the chat thread was talking about it. It's a good sharpener.

Seconding this. I was sharpening some scissors last week and every time this thing comes out I'm blown away that such a cheesy infomercial-type product rocks this hard. The way the stones and guards pack away, the lid becomes handle, the guy on the video that's basically Mike Ehrmantraut but for sharpening things. I'm sure my kitchen sharpness standards are not that high relative to others here but as someone who has a hard time eyeballing angles beyond straight up-and-down, and tends to sharpen knives while drinking, the Spyderco sharpmaker has been awesome.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I really dont like the Sharpmaker because it's predicated on your holding the knife perfectly vertical, there's no guide. I like my EdgePro knockoff way more. I also just take my knives to get professionally sharpened every 6 months or so anyway because they still put a better edge on them than I do.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

DasNeonLicht posted:

I've used them for romesco or muhammara and haven't really found the results lacking compared to using fresh peppers. I also like to put them on pizzas. I love red pepper soup and I bet you could use those for that too although I think that for whatever reason I've only ever made it using fresh.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
Yeah but seriously, pimento cheese.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

If I let chicken defrost in the fridge, can I put it back in the freezer if it's only been defrosted for a day?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If it's been in the fridge the entire time, it's safe to freeze again.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anyone here actually have a chef's choice or have an opinion about them? I found one in the basement of my deceased grandfather's house, so I snagged it since otherwise it was going to the dump. I am thinking it's probably clapped put because it looks really used, but I'm guessing I could replace the wheels if it would be worth my effort.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

therobit posted:

Anyone here actually have a chef's choice or have an opinion about them? I found one in the basement of my deceased grandfather's house, so I snagged it since otherwise it was going to the dump. I am thinking it's probably clapped put because it looks really used, but I'm guessing I could replace the wheels if it would be worth my effort.

A Chef’s Choice what? They make a bunch of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Assuming it's a pull-through sharpener of some type, the general consensus is they are all bad for your knives.