Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I watch a lot of cooking shows and have picked up that smears are out and natural and negative plating (where you leave a portion of the plate is left empty and the food is in a crescent on one side for example) is in. I'm in Australia though so even that could be horribly outdated lol.
If any Michelin starred places have sites where they show off their dishes that would be a good resource to look at what chefs are doing with plating and get some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Find cooking competition show, scrub video to end of each round. You get to see the process of plating quickly for multiple dishes, and you get some critiques of mistakes.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What are people's favorite sources for Mexican or Latin recipes?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

barkbell posted:

What are people's favorite sources for Mexican or Latin recipes?
Diana Kennedy's books; Pati Jinich's stuff (website, books); Sterling's Yucatán; Oaxaca: Home Cooking from the Heart of Mexico by Lopez and Cabral; and Rick Bayless's books.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Chicano Eats! The cookbook is gorgeous and motivates you to try the recipes!

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Esme posted:

I recently bought a can of this fried chili sauce. Can anyone recommend a sauce that’s similar in saltiness, taste, and texture but much, much spicier? I need something that’s too hot for me to eat out of the jar with a spoon like a disgusting animal.

I have a similar issue.

This guy's sauce: https://www.eighteightsix.com/products/szedaddy-chili-sauce

Is pretty good. It's... a bit spicier. Not massively so, sadly. It's also a Taiwanese style chili oil, so a bit different in flavor and texture. But i'm into it.

As for getting a true Lao Gan Ma but extra hot, like someone else said - making your own sichuan chili crisp/oil isn't too bad, and might be the only way. I like to source the peppercorns and chili from these folks:

https://themalamarket.com/collections/sichuan-spices-dry-goods

Much more expensive than just stopping by an Asian grocery store, but everything is especially good quality, and there's a greater variety of pepper than I usually have access too. The lil' Xiao Mi La's have some decent heat to them, in particular. Grind them up in something you're not going to use for other foods, though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Esme posted:

I recently bought a can of this fried chili sauce. Can anyone recommend a sauce that’s similar in saltiness, taste, and texture but much, much spicier? I need something that’s too hot for me to eat out of the jar with a spoon like a disgusting animal.

As others have said, you can absolutely make your own and add some more/hotter chilies. Chinese Cooking Demystified has a great primer here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTQTS2RSCU

If you want the lazier route, buy some ghost pepper/reaper powder, pour a Tbsp of it, and a bottle of chili crisp into a small sauce pan over medium heat. As soon as you see any bubbling, shut off the heat and let it sit there to infuse for a bit before pouring it back in the bottle.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Doom Rooster posted:

, buy some ghost pepper/reaper powder

Everybody should do this regardless. You can make spicy cheese-its finally live up to their name!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
What are the best foods to eat while driving long road trips? I am used just drinking sugar free red bull. If I stop for Burger Time I just get sleepy. I am talking about 24 hour car cross country trips. Maybe load up on cheese and jerkey?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
combos or corn nutds

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
If your route takes you through Wisconsin, get landsjager, it is a shelf stable cured sausage, often sold in pairs. Comes in spicy options, and with dried fruit. It's fairly dry, and concept is sausage you can stuff in a pocket and take hunting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Anyone have a good recipe for re-creating sweet and sour sauce like you get at McDonalds or Jack In The Box?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for re-creating sweet and sour sauce like you get at McDonalds or Jack In The Box?

Have you tried thinking about ginger while drinking corn syrup?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

excellent bird guy posted:

What are the best foods to eat while driving long road trips? I am used just drinking sugar free red bull. If I stop for Burger Time I just get sleepy. I am talking about 24 hour car cross country trips. Maybe load up on cheese and jerkey?

Veggies and onion dip and/or hummus. Keeps you alert due to the dexterity involved too! Trail mix. Lighter sandwich you buy on the way. Wasabi peanuts.

Try to save the red bull as long as you can. I know you work in the medical field but that don't mean you're safe waiting on 24 hrs of caffeine to wear off in a metaphorical and literal crash.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Bluedeanie posted:

Have you tried thinking about ginger while drinking corn syrup?

Gave me a good ol' lol irl

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on spicier lao gan ma! I hadn't considered making my own since I'm not confident in my ability to not poison myself with botulism when infusing oils... but this doesn't seem to be a thing that anyone worries about with chili oil. Is it because you get all the ingredients so hot before jarring?

Doom Rooster posted:

If you want the lazier route, buy some ghost pepper/reaper powder, pour a Tbsp of it, and a bottle of chili crisp into a small sauce pan over medium heat. As soon as you see any bubbling, shut off the heat and let it sit there to infuse for a bit before pouring it back in the bottle.

I can't believe I didn't think of this. Seems like a great solution until I have more time to try making my own.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Realtalk if you really wanna do this then you could use Babish making the rick and morty meme sauce as a good starting off point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhc_bXGvmp0

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bluedeanie posted:

Realtalk if you really wanna do this then you could use Babish making the rick and morty meme sauce as a good starting off point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhc_bXGvmp0

hell yeah thanks.

My kids really like s&s sauce with their nuggets and it's one thing my younger one can actually eat that is a "treat" for him so i'm trying to bring it home during these trying times.

I used to just stockpile extras from the drive-through but that doesn't really happen anymore.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Esme posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on spicier lao gan ma! I hadn't considered making my own since I'm not confident in my ability to not poison myself with botulism when infusing oils... but this doesn't seem to be a thing that anyone worries about with chili oil. Is it because you get all the ingredients so hot before jarring?

Heat kills botulism spores, also the spores live in dirt. Chilies won't have any on them.

The thing that's dangerous is if you just chuck a bunch of garlic cloves in some olive oil. If it's heated up or acidic you don't have to worry about it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just a note: unless you use a pressure canner the water inside the garlic means you’ll never heat garlic in oil hot enough to make it safe.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Heat kills botulism spores, also the spores live in dirt. Chilies won't have any on them.

The thing that's dangerous is if you just chuck a bunch of garlic cloves in some olive oil. If it's heated up or acidic you don't have to worry about it.

Heat above boiling point importantly, boiling won't kill botulinum spores. That's why it's so dicey in particular, it's a very tough spore compared to a lot of other common bacteria.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eeyo posted:

Heat above boiling point importantly, boiling won't kill botulinum spores. That's why it's so dicey in particular, it's a very tough spore compared to a lot of other common bacteria.

Right, but when you make Chinese chili oil the oil is at about 180 C, which is more than enough to kill them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know where you get your chilies but I find dirt on chilies all the time.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

BrianBoitano posted:

Veggies and onion dip and/or hummus. Keeps you alert due to the dexterity involved too! Trail mix. Lighter sandwich you buy on the way. Wasabi peanuts.

Try to save the red bull as long as you can. I know you work in the medical field but that don't mean you're safe waiting on 24 hrs of caffeine to wear off in a metaphorical and literal crash.

Oh my god, I know you are right. I'd like to go through New Mexico to get Green Hatch Chilis. A friend of mine picked some up in late August and was raving about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't know where you get your chilies but I find dirt on chilies all the time.

:shrug: My peppers grow on the top of the plants, not buried in the soil.

In the US there's apparently an average of one botulism case per decade associated with peppers, so if that's too much of a risk for your tastes then I guess don't make chili oil.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
botulism bros gangtag please

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

excellent bird guy posted:

Oh my god, I know you are right. I'd like to go through New Mexico to get Green Hatch Chilis. A friend of mine picked some up in late August and was raving about it.

So I'm a New Mexican living in the midwest and I occasionally see bags of "Hatch green chiles" in supermarkets. I've bought them a few times and they taste more or less exactly like a regular Anaheim. Anyone know what the deal is? Growing extra bland chiles for export to the midwest? Sucking all the flavor out as part of the preservation process, tomato style? The packaging is a straight up lie? It's very disappointing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

:shrug: My peppers grow on the top of the plants, not buried in the soil.
And do they dry there too? Unlikely!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

So I'm a New Mexican living in the midwest and I occasionally see bags of "Hatch green chiles" in supermarkets. I've bought them a few times and they taste more or less exactly like a regular Anaheim. Anyone know what the deal is? Growing extra bland chiles for export to the midwest? Sucking all the flavor out as part of the preservation process, tomato style? The packaging is a straight up lie? It's very disappointing.

Is it a protected label across state lines? Apparently in New Mexico they have regulations for it, and there's a certification program (https://nmchileassociation.com/new-mexico-certified-chile-program/), but I don't know the implications for interstate commerce. Maybe growers outside of NM can just slap "Hatch" on their packaging if it's a similar cultivar to the ones grown in the Hatch valley.

Apparently the cultivated acres have declined in recent years due to droughts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Working in the produce section in a California grocer, we sometimes will get hatch chilis instead of anaheims. We price them the same and just replace the anaheims, but a new tag is made to show that they're hatch chilis. Always weird, also annoying when I get all the questions :shepface:

I don't know WHY they're different, they just ARE

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a valley called the hatch valley where if its grown there its called the hatch chili

kinda like champagne but not actually a protected geographic designation

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Anaheim was actually a milder variant spun off from New Mexico peppers so they are similar, but there's a pretty big difference in heat and flavor.

But yeah, Hatch refers to the location a pepper was grown in, not the cultivar.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Chiles have terroir for real though, so it's an important distinction.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My viet-mom gave me five pounds of sticky rice. I looked up how to cook it, but I have no idea what kinds of dishes to put it in, any suggestions?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

My viet-mom gave me five pounds of sticky rice. I looked up how to cook it, but I have no idea what kinds of dishes to put it in, any suggestions?

Mango sticky rice

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just loving five pounds of mango sticky rice, you won't regret it though your waistline will

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Chimaki: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/03/sticky-rice-wrapped-lotus-leaf-lo-mai-gai-recipe.html

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

It makes pretty good risotto.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I've long been trying to figure out what sort of dipping sauce to pair five-spice wings with. Just so happens that we're making a batch tonight, and I'm trying to figure out, last minute of course, what to dip them in. We've had them plain and they're good, and bleu cheese is always welcome, but I'd like a matching sauce of some sort.

Google naturally has a billion options, so I'm drowning trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Relevant ingredients we have on hand are soy sauce (some cheap Kikkoman, as well as some low sodium tamari, and I think maybe also some regular sodium tamari), mirin, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, honey, dark brown sugar, and a pretty well stocked spice cabinet. Need to hit up the store after work anyhow, so I can grab scallions or something if necessary. Doing oven-baked wings, so I've got plenty of time to let a sauce cook down.

I considered a teriyaki, but I'm leaning towards less sweet.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ginger scallion oil